• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

AmuroChan

I feel like they're not wrong to be pessimistic about TLG. No matter what it is, if anything is delayed the amount of time TLG has been, it's a sign of a troubled production. Even if they just took a few years off in the middle, it still is worrisome that there was something about the project that made them want to stay away from it for a few years.

The problem was Ueda didn't want to move the project to PS4 (revealed on IGN Frist) because they had done so much work on PS3 already. So that was something that Sony and Ueda had to hash out and it took a long time. Team Ico is also not a thing anymore after Ueda became independent and started genDesign. From everything we know the game is still the same game. The troubled production wasn't caused by creative differences, but rather negotiating the new arrangement between Sony and Ueda.

prwxv3

The problem was Ueda didn't want to move the project to PS4 (revealed on IGN Frist) because they had done so much work on PS3 already. So that was something that Sony and Ueda had to hash out and it took a long time. Team Ico is also not a thing anymore after Ueda became independent and started genDesign. From everything we know the game is still the same game. The troubled production wasn't caused by creative differences, but rather negotiating the new arrangement between Sony and Ueda.

Well they also had to wait for ps4 hardware to actually exist then port the complicated engine to PS4.

Gobbly

Banned
C&G mentioned a PS3 that was found on a Singapore market before it was announced or something, can anybody tell me about or link me to more information about this?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Does Colin do this to solely to pay the bills, every time he comes off as so disinterested in doing a job that's considered a hobby. Sometimes I think he should just kick rocks and do something else and leave that job for people actually interested in the work and play field. You think someone that has an opportunity to go to E3 wouldn't whine about having to go. Why doesn't he just stay home if he cries about it so much.
Seems like it. Everytime I listen to this podcast I dislike Colin more and more. He really comes off as pompous and elitist

There is no ps3 game that looks like TLG and the fact that you even bring up resistance on ps3 is laughable. The games AI and feather tech alone would put major pressure on the ps3 (it had a framerate of 15 at its best on ps3).

The original launch trailer in 2009? Because TLG has never looked great. (especially now if you consider it was a bullshot trailer).

And isn't developing a game outside the limitations of the hardware a bad design and therefore a troubled development?

Let's keep this our little secret.

Correct.

Find a different podcast?

I'm going to let you in on a little-known secret: you don't know me. Alexa is an actual, real-life friend of mine, so if you don't mind, I'll go ahead and tend to my own friendships. She and I text back and forth and have been trying to set up a dinner recently (it's been a few months), but we're both chronically busy. I wasn't even privy to or invited to the dinner Greg was talking about, and we were rather obviously hamming things up and being facetious with the "too many friends" thing. If you think I'm "arrogant" and sound like a "terrible friend," I have good news for you: we aren't friends, so you don't have to worry about it.

Otherwise, I hope you're all well! I'm so pleased with the growth PSILY has been showing since we started it, and it's all thanks to our loyal listenership/viewership. We appreciate you. I'm anxious for this Sony press conference!

Can we be best friends though Colin? :)

prwxv3

The original launch trailer in 2009? Because TLG has never looked great. (especially now if you consider it was a bullshot trailer).

And isn't developing a game outside the limitations of the hardware a bad design and therefore a troubled development?

This is complete bullshit. TLG looked incredable for a ps3 game and it still looks amazing now. And while yes Ueda was vison was too much for the ps3 there was no troubled development in actually designing the game (level design, gameplay ect) like Duke nukem forever had. How are you not understanding this.

Vinc

Every time Colin talks about Bioshock 3 I just get excited. I love his enthusiasm for the franchise. I feel like Infinite made a lot of people jaded, but I freaking ADORE that game and the whole franchise.

I really, really want Bioshock 3.

This is complete bullshit. TLG looked incredable for a ps3 game and it still looks amazing now.

Did we ever see gameplay footage on the PS3? A trailer you can fake things easily. It's kind of like that game Rime(looked like ICO somewhat) that looked amazing in trailer form, but it wasn't even an actual game at that point and they weren't able to pull things together.

This is complete bullshit. TLG looked incredable for a ps3 game and it still looks amazing now. And while yes Ueda was vison was too much for the ps3 there was no troubled development in actually designing the game (level design, gameplay ect) like Duke nukem forever had. How are you not understanding this.

I would not say TLG has looked or looks amazing, especially since we know now the initial trailer was a bullshot trailer.

We must have very different definitions of troubled development when said development leads to a team being disbanded and the creator being fired/leaving the company, game which taken over 10 years, had to switch platforms because they had TROUBLE getting it to run on the initial platform. All these things sound like a troubled development to me.

That Horizon prediction.
That Persona prediction.

lol.

Same thing happened over at Easy Allies' Frame Trap podcast. Michael Damiani predicted Final Fantasy XII HD would be announced at E3. I think PRE-3 (GET IT!?) should be considered part of the bet time frames. I mean, these announcement would not happen this week if E3 wasn't happening next week.

Zukkoyaki

I'm with Colin in that I'm ready for Bioshock 3

Thing is, I have absolutely no idea who would be developing it. 2K shut down most their studios and Ken Levine is working on something smaller.

GOOCHY

I imagine when you take a hobby and turn it into a 24/7 business that you have to support/think about all the time it probably wears you down. How many different shows do those guys do on a daily basis?

prwxv3

I would not say TLG has looked or looks amazing, especially since we know now the initial trailer was a bullshot trailer.

We must have very different definitions of troubled development when said development leads to a team being disbanded and the creator being fired/leaving the company, game which taken over 10 years, had to switch platforms because they had TROUBLE getting it to run on the initial platform. All these things sound like a troubled development to me.

Yes it did look amazing it just ran like shit on PS3. And I am not saying that development went well for TLG. But it's not a Duke Nukem forever situation where shit (level design, mechanics ect.) changed a crap tone of times. This situation is way worse for the quality of a game. TLG did not,go though that and recent interviews and gameplay support that.

prwxv3

How do we measure and define "amazing"? I look at the latest screens and say "eh, it looks okay". Not sure what I'm missing.

I mean when it was first shown on PS3. Yes it was running like shit on it (15 fps) but no one knew that at the time. I still think it looks great now personally.

Yes it did look amazing it just ran like shit on PS3. And I am not saying that development went well for TLG. But it's not a Duke Nukem forever situation where shit (level design, mechanics ect.) changed a crap tone of times. This situation is way worse for the quality of a game. TLG did not,go though that and recent interviews and gameplay support that.

Its not really fair to compare anything to Duke Nukem Forever because that is a pretty unique/radical situation.

It clearly has had a long/troubled production, doesn't mean it can't be a good game, just hype for some people is not high due to that and the fact it was announced so long ago. (Plus as Colin said, he isn't a fan of TeamICO games anyways so he would have no hype anyways).

prwxv3

Its not really fair to compare anything to Duke Nukem Forever because that is a pretty unique/radical situation.

It clearly has had a long/troubled production, doesn't mean it can't be a good game, just hype for some people is not high due to that and the fact it was announced so long ago. (Plus as Colin said, he isn't a fan of TeamICO games anyways so he would have no hype anyways).

Well in nearly every TLG thread there is always someone who says that the game won't be good because of the games long dev time. When in actuality little time has been spent on the actual development of the game (compared to how long it's been since the announcement) most of the time has been spent on waiting ps4 hardware and then porting the engine. I agree with everything else you said.

He just seems so over it at this point. Dude should take a month or two off and come back to all of the videos/podcasts. Seems burnt out.

That's the same vibe I get. I can't even listen to the podcast anymore cause he just ruins it for me. I loved Podcast Beyond, but Colin just seems to not be in into it these days like he used to be.

J-Skee

Regardless of how the Last Guardian is received when it comes out, I owe it to Fumito Ueda to play it. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time. Ico is timeless. What if Martin Scorsese had a passion project that took years to develop? Would you not watch it?

aadiboy

Whoever said it seems like they mixed up remembering PSX and E3 2015, I think you're right. In today's gamecast Colin and Greg both thought Shenmue 3 was debuted at PSX. I feel like they didn't even realize why everyone thought it was the E3 of Dreams.

DKHF

Whoever said it seems like they mixed up remembering PSX and E3 2015, I think you're right. In today's gamecast Colin and Greg both thought Shenmue 3 was debuted at PSX. I feel like they didn't even realize why everyone thought it was the E3 of Dreams.
That was me and yeah they might have mixed them up a bit (at least the Shenmue part). Though I wouldn't be surprised if Greg didn't like last year's show that much since he doesn't care about Final Fantasy, Shenmue and Team ICO games. Same with Colin but for 2/3 of that, he was excited about FFVII Remake since it's one of the last good FFs in his opinion.

That was me and yeah they might have mixed them up a bit (at least the Shenmue part). Though I wouldn't be surprised if Greg didn't like last year's show that much since he doesn't care about Final Fantasy, Shenmue and Team ICO games. Same with Colin but for 2/3 of that, he was excited about FFVII Remake since it's one of the last good FFs in his opinion.
Of course Colin has become very negative about ff7r since it was revealed to be multiple entries, often saying sarcastically "apparently it's too big for one game even though it wasn't before" completely ignoring the fact it's going to now have fully 3d environments instead of 2d backdrops and areas are being expanded to be more engaging. I mean you have sections of midgar in the original that consisted of a few 2d backdrops that are now most likely going to be big areas to explore so of course it's going to be much more work.

Really annoying that he seems to ignore the difference between the two approaches and how much extra work and size that takes.

DKHF

Of course Colin has become very negative about ff7r since it was revealed to be multiple entries, often saying sarcastically "apparently it's too big for one game even though it wasn't before" completely ignoring the fact it's going to now have fully 3d environments instead of 2d backdrops and areas are being expanded to be more engaging. I mean you have sections of midgar in the original that consisted of a few 2d backdrops that are now most likely going to be big areas to explore so of course it's going to be much more work.

Really annoying that he seems to ignore the difference between the two approaches and how much extra work and size that takes.
Yeah it just wouldn't be very financially viable to release it as one release since it probably wouldn't come out until 2019. 5 years of development (since development started in early 2014) for one gigantic $60 game just probably wouldn't give enough financial return. Kitase and Nomura don't want to compromise and release a heavily condensed single release, this will probably be their most ambitious project ever. And before someone brings up FFXV's 10 years of development, it wasn't really even in development until late 2011 then it switched to next gen in 2012 and restarted.

Jonboy

I'm not sure why people can't disagree with them respectfully without attacking their character or attitude. They're two of the most humble gaming personalities you'll find out there.

I agree with them on most things, but disagree on plenty as well. When I do disagree, it's always interesting to look at the unique perspective they bring forth. They always entertain as well. Their rapport with one another is what makes the show for me.

I do disagree with them on expectations and TLG. Perhaps it really is all about managing the expectations. I'm not going in expecting one of the greatest games of all-time. I'm going in expecting an emotional, unique story with a creative gameplay element that keeps me hooked and entertained. I don't need it to be the most innovative, groundbreaking experience to enjoy it.

Now will the game ever be good enough to justify the time Team Japan spent on it? Highly unlikely, but that's a different question imo.

In terms of it just being a fun, solid, enjoyable experience though? Doesn't have to be one of the best games of all time for me to be happy with it.

sora87

I can't believe they think sony's 2015 conference wasn't good. Like, what?! Grown men were weeping, openly. It was fan fiction come true.

having finally played gone home, i can officially call bullshit on steve gaynor saying it wouldn't work well if VR. that game is absolutely perfect for VR. it's literally the exact kind of game that would fit the platform, short, narratively driven, slow and deliberate, etc etc. dude just should have said "i don't really like VR" and left it at that.

EDIT: whoops, i think the gaynor interview a while back was on the gamescast, not PSILY

LifEndz

It's funny how every pre-E3 discussion I've listened to this year has been prefaced with how shitty LA is. I've never been to LA but I'm laughing at how so many seem to hate the place. Good Mexican food, beaches, beautiful people...is it really that bad?

It's funny how every pre-E3 discussion I've listened to this year has been prefaced with how shitty LA is. I've never been to LA but I'm laughing at how so many seem to hate the place. Good Mexican food, beaches, beautiful people...is it really that bad?

Some people don't like heat or being outdoors in general
gamers
. Plus imagine 1000s of people sweating bumping into each other in one building. I am still waiting to finish my studies so I can fly down there one day. Probably wouldn't move there, but the place looks great for a vacation. I am pretty sure that the journalists going down there for work think the same :p

DKHF

AndyVirus

So Colin & Greg have known about Spider-Man from Insomniac for some time. Before or after that "Spider-Man face of PS4?" topic of the show though? The talk there was heavily focused on Sucker Punch so could've been told directly as a result of the podcast, or were they simply throwing hypothetical scenarios out there to throw us off an Insomniac scent?

YES.

There's better Mexican food in San Diego, the people are all plastic, the traffic is horrid, everything is expensive as hell and downtown, while better than it used to be, is atrocious.

So Colin & Greg have known about Spider-Man from Insomniac for some time. Before or after that "Spider-Man face of PS4?" topic of the show though? The talk there was heavily focused on Sucker Punch so could've been told directly as a result of the podcast, or were they simply throwing hypothetical scenarios out there to throw us off an Insomniac scent?

That's what I'm thinking. I wonder if Colin has similar thoughts about Insomniac doing Spiderman as he did about Sucker Punch doing it though.

Top Bottom