• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

DKHF

I haven't listened to the episode yet (I will shortly) but I think the title might not be referring to the quality of PlayStation's exclusives vs Xbox's but rather what the term exclusive means for each console (for MS exclusive means coming to both Xbox One and Windows 10 vs PS4 exclusives only come to PS4). Maybe I'm completely wrong though, but I can recall Colin/Greg bringing up that difference between what "exclusive" means for MS and Sony a few times so it wouldn't surprise me if that is the topic of the show discussion.

I haven't listened to the episode yet (I will shortly) but I think the title might not be referring to the quality of PlayStation's exclusives vs Xbox's but rather what the term exclusive means for each console (for MS exclusive means coming to both Xbox One and Windows 10 vs PS4 exclusives only come to PS4). Maybe I'm completely wrong though, but I can recall Colin/Greg bringing up that difference between what "exclusive" means for MS and Sony a few times so it wouldn't surprise me if that is the topic of the show discussion.

That's what I was thinking too. Didn't Colin used to say that XB1 had more good quality exclusives than PS4 until somewhat recently anyway?

killroy87

That's what I was thinking too. Didn't Colin used to say that XB1 had more good quality exclusives than PS4 until somewhat recently anyway?

Listened to the first 15 minutes and yeah, that is what it's about.

Colin's whole hypothesis is "why would anyone choose an Xbox when it will have next to zero exclusives that can't also be bought on PC." Greg continually brings up the point that "A lot of people hate PC gaming, and will still choose to play on the Xbox because that's their platform and they prefer the convenience" and also that "Microsoft makes money on software, so as long as games are being bought in their ecosystem, they're happy". This does not seem to be enough of a response for Colin though, haha.

Colin literally brings up a case that illustrates Microsoft's exact strategy: He says:
"Knowing Gears of War 4 is coming to PC makes people never want to buy an Xbox One, it might make people never even want to play an Xbox One! Gears of War is coming to PC, and I might just play it on my laptop. It can run it on low settings, I don't care, I'll just play it there!"

Yes, that's literally the point. There are a large number of people out there that would gladly play Gears 4, but wouldn't buy an Xbox One to do so. So now Microsoft can still get money from them. Hardware might bring customers into their ecosystem, but games make the money. The important thing to note here isn't that these games are releasing on both Xbox and PC, but that they won't be released on both Windows PC Store and Steam.

He goes on to say "They're injuring their ability to sell hardware on a meteoric level". If this plan works out as well as Microsoft hopes, and they can leverage their exclusive IPs to really crack into the PC gaming space in a way they haven't yet, there's potential there for Microsoft exclusives to sell more than any PS4 exclusive ever would. And if they continue to make the Xbox One controller the PC controller to buy, that's even more money still.

I promise you, if Sony was in the business of making PC operating systems, every single PS4 exclusive would be on PC as well.

Lastly, the comment on waiting to see the NPD tracking to see the effects of this is unfair, since you're only able to take advantage of Cross-Play (buy once, get on both), if you buy digitally on Xbox or PC. So the NPD might be low, but that doesn't necessarily mean people aren't still buying on Xbox One, they might just be doing so digitally to take advantage.

Moral of the story: NPD hasn't been a viable sales tracker for years now.

prwxv3

That Colin rant was super weird.

I can't think of a single time I've ever read or heard anything say that TLG's long development cycle was planned from the beginning or intended. Pretty sure 99.99% of the people know the project is/was troubled.

Seems like such a weird thing to go on about when maybe 4 people in the world think that way.

Yea no one is saying that everything is was completely fine. The argument is whether it's a a technical problem solely or if the games design process was to blame. And so far all the evidence points to a purely technical problem.

LiK

Greg was spot on about the Xbox vs PS4 exclusivity. MS will do fine if they can keep selling the software. Let's remember that MILLIONS of people sub on Live and that's a huge revenue for them. They will keep selling both versions of their first party games and I'm sure people who don't care about PC gaming will continue to buy their consoles as long as those exclusives don't end up on Sony/Nintendo consoles.

I haven't watched it yet but if what I am reading here is accurate, Greg is right. There are tons of people who couldn't care less about PC gaming.

Now, for the more enthused audience such as ourselves, yeah, it may lead to someone switching over but that is still money in Microsoft's pocket at the end of the day. MS is doing what they have to do to keep this business viable and I do not think they are tearing it down at all.

Also, I wouldn't use NPD to determine anything because Xbox hasn't been doing particularly well (pre holiday) in that regard for a while now

Vinc

Greg was spot on about the Xbox vs PS4 exclusivity. MS will do fine if they can keep selling the software. Let's remember that MILLIONS of people sub on Live and that's a huge revenue for them. They will keep selling both versions of their first party games and I'm sure people who don't care about PC gaming will continue to buy their consoles as long as those exclusives don't end up on Sony/Nintendo consoles.

If Microsoft doesn't sell hardware, they don't get ANY money from third party game sales. People playing on PC will continue to buy on Steam, and it'll be impossible to convince EA and Ubisoft, who have their own storefront, to publish on Windows Store. Sure, MS will sell their exclusives to more people (presumably) by going to PC, which MIGHT allow them to invest more in first party games, which is great for gamers.

I just don't know that this is good for them.

blakep267

If Microsoft doesn't sell hardware, they don't get ANY money from third party game sales. People playing on PC will continue to buy on Steam, and it'll be impossible to convince EA and Ubisoft, who have their own storefront, to publish on Windows Store. Sure, MS will sell their exclusives to more people (presumably) by going to PC, which MIGHT allow them to invest more in first party games, which is great for gamers.

I just don't know that this is good for them.
you make it seem like the 20 or so million Xbox ones out there will automatically stop buying games. The Xbox one S is still gonna sell millions of consoles between November and December just between the fire sale deals that happen during the holidays and also because it'll likely be a cheap 4K blu Ray player. Skyrim, COd, Battlefield are still gonna sell millions of copies. There's not going to be a mass exodus from the Xbox.

gears and Forza will get a couple of hundred thousand extra sales( maybe a million in case of Gears), and also increased digital buying. Also most of their games are gonna have a MT aspect to them. Forza with cars, Gears with packs etc

Greg is pretty spot on, but I see Colin’s point, it does devalue the Xbox one as a standalone platform some. But still, PC gamers gonna PC, console gamers gonna console, it’s very much about preference and comfort zone, many gamers are aware your games can look better on a beefy PC and just don’t care. Just like PC gamers don’t care much about the exclusives that don’t come to PC.

Feels like the right move for Xbox, but I’m not particularly interested in what MS studios bring to the table, so it made my future Xbox purchase practically zero with everything going to PC. And even if I get a beefy PC soon, if the stuff doesn’t come to steam, I likely won’t be jumping in either, so meh...In the end of the day, it’s all about the games, and PS4 satisfies me with enough content, more than I can keep up with. My next console will have to be something very very different, and I’m leaning towards Nintendo. Overall good strategy from MS than I’m interested in seeing how it plays out, but it still feels too similar to PS4 IMO, I don’t think most house holds care to have both an Xbox and PS4 in it, and if VR takes off and Sony is in the lead, that will just cement Xbox even moreso as the alternative to the “best”. NX has the right idea, console makers need to do different things if they want households to buy multiple platforms instead of choosing one each gen.

Wagram

It's certainly something Microsoft has probably been pondering for some time. Both Colin and Greg have brought forth points that are correct. There are people that are console guys/gals who simply don't care about PC, but at the same time there will be people who will no longer be attracted to the xbox hardware (i'm one of them). I now have an extra $300-400 dollars I would have spent on an Xbox that I can now spend on an NX, PC upgrade, or Neo. From a business perspective, I wouldn't want my potential customers to even consider putting money they would have spent on my console towards another device instead. Trap them on your machine so they'll consider purchasing more there. It's not consumer friendly, but that's what business is.

No one is really right, but I do agree that this move makes more sense from a publisher standpoint rather than a hardware manufacturer. Time will tell if it's the right move. I'm glad that the options available though to be honest. Now Microsoft simply needs to fix the Windows 10 store.

Vinc

you make it seem like the 20 or so million Xbox ones out there will automatically stop buying games. The Xbox one S is still gonna sell millions of consoles between November and December just between the fire sale deals that happen during the holidays and also because it'll likely be a cheap 4K blu Ray player. Skyrim, COd, Battlefield are still gonna sell millions of copies. There's not going to be a mass exodus from the Xbox.

gears and Forza will get a couple of hundred thousand extra sales( maybe a million in case of Gears), and also increased digital buying. Also most of their games are gonna have a MT aspect to them. Forza with cars, Gears with packs etc

I'm not saying that, I'm saying REPLACING Xbox customers with PC customers would be a huge blow to MS, unless their store really takes off at a very much unexpected level.

I don't get their strategy. It's like they want to unify the platforms, while subscribing to the idea that very different customers play on Xbox vs PC. I'm one of those people who has an Xbox for exclusives right now, and I'm definitely not buying anymore Xbox consoles after the news. Maybe I'm a super rare specimen, but I'm not fully convinced of that at all. I don't get why anyone would buy the high-end Scorpio vs a high-end PC, because I believe both devices target a very similar audience. People who care about super high end graphics AND don't want to mess with PCs are the rare breed to me. That's my interpretation. It's also Sony's interpretation, as they've admitted the Neo exists to stop the flow of customers from moving to PCs as the generation progresses.

killroy87

I'm not saying that, I'm saying REPLACING Xbox customers with PC customers would be a huge blow to MS, unless their store really takes off at a very much unexpected level.

I don't get their strategy. It's like they want to unify the platforms, while subscribing to the idea that very different customers play on Xbox vs PC. I'm one of those people who has an Xbox for exclusives right now, and I'm definitely not buying anymore Xbox consoles after the news. Maybe I'm a super rare specimen, but I'm not fully convinced of that at all. I don't get why anyone would buy the high-end Scorpio vs a high-end PC, because I believe both devices target a very similar audience. People who care about super high end graphics AND don't want to mess with PCs are the rare breed to me. That's my interpretation. It's also Sony's interpretation, as they've admitted the Neo exists to stop the flow of customers from moving to PCs as the generation progresses.

People say that at the beginning of literally every console cycle. Some people just don't care about PC. Colin and Greg both are completely transparent about acknowledging the benefits of PC gaming, and still not having the patience for it.

And the Sony thing isn't a fair analogy because Sony has much more to lose if people move to PC. Xbox owners moving to PC is just moving from one Microsoft ecosystem to another.

Vinc

People say that at the beginning of literally every console cycle. Some people just don't care about PC. Colin and Greg both are completely transparent about acknowledging the benefits of PC gaming, and still not having the patience for it.

And the Sony thing isn't a fair analogy because Sony has much more to lose if people move to PC. Xbox owners moving to PC is just moving from one Microsoft ecosystem to another.

This isn't the beginning of a console cycle though, this is a mid-generation refresh which is not about giving you access to new games, it's about giving you higher performance in existing games. The cheaper than PC argument may still be valid with Scorpio, but we'll see.

And what you're saying about moving from one MS ecosystem to another is COMPLETELY false. There is no way to buy games without MS getting a cut on Xbox. On PC it's a very, very different story. Buy third party games AND first party games on PC, then do the same thing on Xbox. In once case, MS gets money from all games you just bought, in the other case, MS gets money from first party sales and that's it. Sony would actually be in the exact same situation as Microsoft if they put their own games on PC.

killroy87

This isn't the beginning of a console cycle though, this is a mid-generation refresh which is not about giving you access to new games, it's about giving you higher performance in existing games. The cheaper than PC argument may still be valid with Scorpio, but we'll see.
...my point still stands. It doesn't matter what point of the generation this is, there will always be people arguing "I don't know why anyone would invest money into a console instead of just getting a good PC. Especially now, more than ever, when console exclusives are so rare.

And what you're saying about moving from one MS ecosystem to another is COMPLETELY false. There is no way to buy games without MS getting a cut on Xbox. On PC it's a very, very different story. Buy third party games AND first party games on PC, then do the same thing on Xbox. In once case, MS gets money from all games you just bought, in the other case, MS gets money from first party sales and that's it. Sony would actually be in the exact same situation as Microsoft if they put their own games on PC.

I mean, there's a reason 90% of the games in this program are MS-published games :p I agree that third party publishers have very little reason to just give away a second copy of their game, unless incentivized by MS (which might be happening, who knows)

To be clear, I'm referring to the idea that Xbox exclusives are coming to PC, I don't really care about the "buy once, play it on both" offer. I don't think many people would actually care about that offer in practice, but it definitely looks good for MS. Most blu-rays I buy come with DVD copies of the film too, but I never actually touch those lol.

Vinc

...my point still stands. It doesn't matter what point of the generation this is, there will always be people arguing "I don't know why anyone would invest money into a console instead of just getting a good PC. Especially now, more than ever, when console exclusives are so rare.

I mean, there's a reason 90% of the games in this program are MS-published games :p I agree that third party publishers have very little reason to just give away a second copy of their game, unless incentivized by MS (which might be happening, who knows)

To be clear, I'm referring to the idea that Xbox exclusives are coming to PC, I don't really care about the "buy once, play it on both" offer. I don't think many people would actually care about that offer in practice, but it definitely looks good for MS. Most blu-rays I buy come with DVD copies of the film too, but I never actually touch those lol.

What I'm saying, in a nutshell, is that there are definitely people who will switch to PC instead of buying another Xbox - I'm one of those people - and it definitely hurts MS when people move from Xbox to PC. The assumption that Sony doing the same thing wouldn't have the same implications is just false. The PC is an open platform, MS doesn't own it despite Windows existing, BECAUSE Windows is popular due to its own open nature.

GametimeUK

What it all boils down to is the fact Sony have more games at 90+ that aren't available on Xbox than Xbox has that aren't available on PS4. PS4 has more at 80+ that aren't available at Xbox and 70+.

I can't say Xbox has the better selection of games or are doing better on the exclusive front.

Greg was spot on about the Xbox vs PS4 exclusivity. MS will do fine if they can keep selling the software.

While I do agree with what you're saying, if their only interest is selling software, then they may as well start releasing all of their games on the PS4 as well.

Of course, their actual goal is to push Xbox hardware/Windows 10 adoption because once they've got enough people in their ecosystem, they can take a cut on third-party sales as well.

killroy87

What I'm saying, in a nutshell, is that there are definitely people who will switch to PC instead of buying another Xbox - I'm one of those people - and it definitely hurts MS when people move from Xbox to PC. The assumption that Sony doing the same thing wouldn't have the same implications is just false. The PC is an open platform, MS doesn't own it despite Windows existing, BECAUSE Windows is popular due to its own open nature.

There may be people who switch from Xbox to PC, but Greg's hypothesis (and I agree) is that it won't be that many, because there is a laaaaaarge audience who simply doesn't care to invest in PC gaming. And even the people that do switch, if they still care about the Xbox ECOSYSTEM (meaning playing with their Xbox friends, exclusives, gamerscore, etc), then they'll have to buy their PC games on the Windows store.

I really don't see the outcome of this being "Xbox fans move to PC en masse", solely because the small amount of Xbox exclusives aren't exclusive anymore. If that were how people thought, then PS4 couldn't have sold like wildfire despite having borderline zero good exclusives for the first two years on market.

I personally see the outcome of this being that now the PC crowd (a BIIIIIIG crowd), can also buy former Xbox exclusives, making MS more money and giving each of those games a much larger player base.

While I do agree with what you're saying, if their only interest is selling software, then they may as well start releasing all of their games on the PS4 as well.
If the end goal of this was for MS to exit the hardware business in a big way, it wouldn't blow my mind. Right from the inception of the original Xbox, there are people at MS who would gladly see the Xbox brand die in a fire. Xbox as a brand makes such a relatively small amount of money compared to divisions like WIndows and Office, there are higher ups that have always wanted it gone.

And before anyone asks, source here

Yeah lol.

Without listening to it I would say Microsoft has done a better job in the exclusivity in quality and quantity from launch till now. But Q4 2016 and on is when sonys big hitters are finally arriving consistently.
Quality can be argued but quantity is easily in Sony's court.

Vinc

There may be people who switch from Xbox to PC, but Greg's hypothesis (and I agree) is that it won't be that many, because there is a laaaaaarge audience who simply doesn't care to invest in PC gaming. And even the people that do switch, if they still care about the Xbox ECOSYSTEM (meaning playing with their Xbox friends, exclusives, gamerscore, etc), then they'll have to buy their PC games on the Windows store.

I really don't see the outcome of this being "Xbox fans move to PC en masse", solely because the small amount of Xbox exclusives aren't exclusive anymore. If that were how people thought, then PS4 couldn't have sold like wildfire despite having borderline zero good exclusives for the first two years on market.

I personally see the outcome of this being that now the PC crowd (a BIIIIIIG crowd), can also buy former Xbox exclusives, making MS more money and giving each of those games a much larger player base.

Worth noting that Greg is also not on board with higher end versions of the same console. I think it's true that a lot of people prefer consoles to PC, but I think that console audience that doesn't care about PCs also won't care about Scorpio. We'll see though.

I see the PC ports as a way of MS saying "You know what, we cant sell hardware like Playstation can, lets try something different". (i think this Scorpio is confirmation of this, they need to do something crazy to take back momentum)

It's really not a terrible idea if you sit down and think about it. You are getting more sales by porting games to PC and you are convincing people to upgrade to windows 10. You lose out on hardware sales, but you are already getting crushed by Playstation so it doesnt really matter.

RoKKeR

Haha just that title annoys me, I'm not in the mood for that conversation right now.

Yeah, rolled my eyes when I saw the title this morning.

Edit: Skimming through the reaction I'm surprised to see Colin taking such a hard line on MS's new approach to "exclusives." It's clear MS isn't in a position to outpace Sony in hardware sales anymore, so why not blast open the user base to millions of more potential customers and expand the ecosystem? Of course doing this devaules the Xbox hardware in some respects, but I really think he is maybe overestimating that effect. Seems like Greg is more on the right track here.

I've always sort of pictured it as a Venn diagram, where on one side you have console (Xbox) only players, the other side PC only players, and in the middle a mix of people who either own both or are willing to play on both/potential users of both. (due to exclusives, friends, things like that) What MS loses is the potential hardware sales from that group in the middle, but I think that group is smaller than some make it out to be. The reason people buy consoles is not exclusives, Colin has said this himself recently. (or to a similar extent, exclusives don't drive console sales like they used to) They buy them for their friends, the ecosystem/history, and for the convenience/price.

Anyways, I'm sure this is premature as I haven't listened to the full thing yet, but I guess I'm just a bit surprised at where Colin seems to be going with this topic.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
First time in a while where I disagree with Colin during the episode and not once but twice.

Regarding Xbox One exclusives releasing on PC the same day means absolutely nothing to me and doesn't affect or change my opinion on Xbox One. I own an Xbox One for their exclusives. I'm not a PC gamer at all nor do I have a laptop that can run PC games nor am I going to buy one that does. I'm a pure console gamer so games like Gears of War 4, ReCore and State of Decay 2 will be purchased and played on Xbox One. For me personally, my bigger concern is that the exclusives for Xbox One don't interest me as much as the exclusives on PS4 do.

The only exclusive that I have played and completed for Xbox One was Quantum Break (and Rise of the Tomb Raider if you want to count it for the time being) and it was solid but nothing special. So again, it's more about the exclusives on Xbox One not interesting me as much as the exclusives on PS4.

As of right now, the ratio is 80%-20% in favor of PS4. I have played and completed Knack, The Order: 1886, Until Dawn and Uncharted 4. I'm also halfway through Alienation and I still want to play Killzone: Shadow Fall, Ratchet & Clank and give Bloodborne a third try.

For Xbox One, after ReCore, Gears of War 4 and State of Decay 2, who knows??? LOL. For PS4, I have Horizon: Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Detroit: Beyond Human, God of War IV and a few games that are console exclusives like No Man's Sky, Salt & Sanctuary and Shadow of the Beast so if anything, the lack of exclusives that interest and appeal to me on Xbox One is the far bigger problem.

And if pre-orders for the Xbox One Slim are as good as what's been reported, the exclusives going to PC isn't going to matter that much, if at all. On a related note, PC games are digital only as far as I know so that in itself eliminates me ever becoming a PC gamer. Add in the graphics cards, drivers, etc. and well, no thanks.

Second thing I disagree with Colin about is in regards to Housemarque and Alienation which I think is better than Dead Nation. I'm 11 completed missions through the campaign and playing solo. Story and characters while just above average is better and interests me more than the story and characters did in Dead Nation. Visually, Alienation is easily better. Music and sound is great in both games but there's voice acting in Alienation which is solid, gets the job done and I prefer over reading text.

Gameplay wise, both games are excellent but the things that turn Colin off to the game is what gives the game that extra boost for me. Instead of scoring points when killing the enemies, you gain XP which in turn, allows you to level up which in turn allows you to get stronger and have better weapons which makes playing the game even more fun.

The RPG elements are still light but it's very well done in my opinion. The loop is great and keeps me wanting to play. Only reason I stopped was to play through The Witcher III again and the expansions which I want to finish before Deus Ex comes out. Also, I had an awesome shotgun and like a jackass, I accidently dismantled it and got turned off but that was on me. Can't blame the game for my mistake.

The re-roll option is cool along with the materials. A weapon that's weak can be made stronger by re-rolling the stats but since it's random, you could also get weaker. I love Housemarque and their three best games for me personally were Outland (9/10), Alienation (8.5/10) and Dead Nation (8/10). I played Resogun and while I know it's an excellent game, the genre is not for me. Never played Super Stardust but I know that it's the same type of game as Resogun.

Back to Alienation, once im finished with The Witcher III, I'll go back to it so I can finish the game. Seriously, an excellent game and my favorite twin stick shooter. Love Housemarque and definitely looking forward to seeing what Matterfall is and the Eugene Jarvis game as well.

Lister

Banned
Yeah, rolled my eyes when I saw the title this morning.

Edit: Skimming through the reaction I'm surprised to see Colin taking such a hard line on MS's new approach to "exclusives." It's clear MS isn't in a position to outpace Sony in hardware sales anymore, so why not blast open the user base to millions of more potential customers and expand the ecosystem? Of course doing this devaules the Xbox hardware in some respects, but I really think he is maybe overestimating that effect. Seems like Greg is more on the right track here.

I've always sort of pictured it as a Venn diagram, where on one side you have console (Xbox) only players, the other side PC only players, and in the middle a mix of people who either own both or are willing to play on both/potential users of both. (due to exclusives, friends, things like that) What MS loses is the potential hardware sales from that group in the middle, but I think that group is smaller than some make it out to be. The reason people buy consoles is not exclusives, Colin has said this himself recently. (or to a similar extent, exclusives don't drive console sales like they used to) They buy them for their friends, the ecosystem/history, and for the convenience/price.

Anyways, I'm sure this is premature as I haven't listened to the full thing yet, but I guess I'm just a bit surprised at where Colin seems to be going with this topic.

Hardware sales aren't that important, specially for consoles. The margins are sometimes NEGATIVE for these things.

Xbox being able to sell games to people uninterested ina console is only a plus for them.

krae_man

Nobody has exclusives anymore because a whole pile of devs made their own remasters and everybody is taking forever to make stuff.

Gone are the days where almost everyone was on a solid 2-3 year dev cycle.

How many trilogies and quadrilogies came out last gen? This gen devs are struggling to release two games on the same system.

What gets me about Colin's argument against Microsoft and Play Anywhere is that is flies in the face of the argument he and Greg consistently make about Vita. People often write in saying is Vita worth getting without first party games coming, and most of the games not being exclusive to the platform, and they both continually say that it is worth buying because of the experience of playing on the hardware itself. Isn't that the same kind of argument you would use to defend Microsoft's recent decisions? Some people continue to prefer consoles, or want to easily walk into a store and buy a relatively powerful box that they know will play all the latest games. Those people, much like how Vita owners prefer the convenience and portability that the platform offers, prefer the easy, out of the box experience you get with a console vs. PC. Why is this situation any different than the situation with Vita? Honestly, it's better because firstly party games will continue to come to both, as well as third party games being released on both. Seems like a win-win.

Garcessist

Neo Member
I think people view this topic in a completely ignorant way. No one complains about the games that are cross buy between ps3 ps4 and vita. Just because its a cross buy play anywhere doesnt mean people will just stop buying xbox hardware. It gives you the access to play that game any where. If you're not at home you can play it on your laptop. If some one is on our tv you can go to another room and play there. It's about portablityand convinience. It's an upgraded version of remote play. If anything this makes some one like me who doesn't have so much uptime on my tv able to play more games cause I can fit them in my schedule more. Viewing this the way Colin does is very narrow minded. It's not about console sales its about giving the ability to play anywhere giving you appeal to more people. Not confined just to where your console is confined.

AmuroChan

What gets me about Colin's argument against Microsoft and Play Anywhere is that is flies in the face of the argument he and Greg consistently make about Vita. People often write in saying is Vita worth getting without first party games coming, and most of the games not being exclusive to the platform, and they both continually say that it is worth buying because of the experience of playing on the hardware itself. Isn't that the same kind of argument you would use to defend Microsoft's recent decisions? Some people continue to prefer consoles, or want to easily walk into a store and buy a relatively powerful box that they know will play all the latest games. Those people, much like how Vita owners prefer the convenience and portability that the platform offers, prefer the easy, out of the box experience you get with a console vs. PC. Why is this situation any different than the situation with Vita? Honestly, it's better because firstly party games will continue to come to both, as well as third party games being released on both. Seems like a win-win.

That's the one big differentiation. If Vita was just another home console, then it's completely pointless. The Vita experience is only worthwhile because it's portable. That's literally the only reason I own a Vita because I have a 3-hour commute to and from work every day. The PC/XB situation is different for me. I have a gaming PC and a XB1 in the same room in my house. I'm most likely going to sell or give away my XB1 now because there's no longer any reason for me to have an XB1. And yes, I completely recognize that my situation is the exception rather the norm.

pisuika

Neo Member
The thing is Microsoft has 2 businesses that are killing each other.

When they created Xbox people suddenly had alternatives to Windows. Why buy a Windows PC when I could buy a Mac and play games on Xbox?

On the other hand if I invested all that money to get a gaming PC, why invest on a console? I know some people do, but definitely not the majority.

With Xbox Play Anywhere there's a new reason to start buying Windows PCs again. "Hey I can do my MS Office stuff, surf the web, oh and play Gears of Wars 4". This could even be considered the last nail in the coffin for the already practically buried SteamOS.

I think it really won't affect Xbox sells, but it will help Windows 10 a lot: all those people choosing mac book pros over windows pcs will now think about it twice before deciding.

Now, these exclusive games' quality is going to go down imo. Games like Uncharted 4 can be accomplished because Naughty Dog knows the hardware they're working on and how to take advantage of it fully. Now MS needs to worry about different resolutions, cpus, fps, etc etc etc that will limit developers' creativity.

DKHF

In response to Colin asking why Marvel needs Sony as the publisher for Spider-Man... They don't need them to make a poor or mediocre game but I can't really imagine many if any of the major third party publishers allowing Insomniac to nurture a high quality Spider-Man game for 3-4 years like Sony will treating it like a first party game (which they are). Obviously Activision wouldn't given their mostly terrible history with licensed games. Sony is seemingly funding it as well, and a large reason why they decided to do that in the first place was probably that an exclusive Spider-Man game will be a massive system seller. It's smart of Marvel to partner with a first party like Sony, both companies will get a lot out of this game.

I literally got in arguments with people in this thread who disagreed with me when I said "TLG had a troubled development." So yes, those people do exist.

A point I thought they were missing on the latest episode was the idea that Sony fucked up because they are demoing the PSVR while not having additional units for pre order.

While demoing the unit might get some sales, the main goal is to get it into people's hands so they can experience what VR is actually like instead of just assuming. We have seen countless people on here who were sceptic about VR go and use it and come away eager to try more and a believer in the format.

Selling units right now might be important but at this moment convincing people that VR is worthwhile and does indeed bring something unique to the table is also equally important, more so long term so changing opinions is a worthy cause.

I literally got in arguments with people in this thread who disagreed with me when I said "TLG had a troubled development." So yes, those people do exist.
That doesn't mean that is the majority opinion. It still feels like arguing against something that most are not claiming. Yes, the development was troubled. No, it does not seem to be for the reasons Colin continues to suggest despite people in the know saying otherwise.

"TLG had a really difficult time running on PS3 so they shelved it and waited for the PS4 to get things up and going again to port it over"

vs

"They have been actively developing the title for ~10 years with all sorts of issues occuring and are just now getting close to completion."

That is where the disagreement lies.

AmuroChan

A point I thought they were missing on the latest episode was the idea that Sony fucked up because they are demoing the PSVR while not having additional units for pre order.

While demoing the unit might get some sales, the main goal is to get it into people's hands so they can experience what VR is actually like instead of just assuming. We have seen countless people on here who were sceptic about VR go and use it and come away eager to try more and a believer in the format.

Selling units right now might be important but at this moment convincing people that VR is worthwhile and does indeed bring something unique to the table is also equally important, more so long term so changing opinions is a worthy cause.

Also, when there's something good in short supply, it makes people want it even more. To a much lesser degree, this reminds me of the Wii in its first year. The Wii had demo kiosks as well at various retailers, but had massive supply constraints in its first year. That made people go crazy finding it, creating Wii availability threads on forums, and some were even paying 2-3x the MSRP on ebay to get one.

Also, when there's something good in short supply, it makes people want it even more. To a much lesser degree, this reminds me of the Wii in its first year. The Wii had demo kiosks as well at various retailers, but had massive supply constraints in its first year. That made people go crazy finding it, creating Wii availability threads on forums, and some were even paying 2-3x the MSRP on ebay to get one.
Yeah exactly, help build the hype by having something people suddenly really want but cant actually get.

Its also important to note that this isnt something they can easily get eslewhere, i mean how many console owners already own a gaming PC and are willing to spend at least £200 extra compared to the PSVR on the device or are willing to buy/upgrade a good enough PC as well as pay the extar for the PCVR? Not that many i would bet so even if they arent able to buy they arent going to go to a competitor.

krae_man

I wonder why Colin thinks Sony cert looks for game breaking bugs. Considering some of the broken stuff that comes out, it sure seems like they don't care as long as your game doesn't brick systems or have a hacking exploit in it.

I mean Drive Club passed cert, Skyrim passed cert. Ratchet and Clank All 4 One passed cert.

Per Colin on today's Colin and Greg Live: Brian Altano will fill in for Greg on tomorrow's episode of PS I Love You XOXO, which makes it another PS I Love You XOXO/Podcast Beyond cross-over!

Also, if you missed it last week, here is the first cross-over: Podcast Beyond 450

An interesting fact from that episode is Nick Scarpino came up with the PS I Love You XOXO name.

Lexad

IMO Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne beat any Microsoft exclusive so Sony gets the nod from me. Plus I loved Resogun and Ratchet and Clank. Really enjoyed Until Dawn and Infamous too.

Every single one of those game just dominates Microsoft's exclusive lineup

Other than Halo and Quantum Break, what do they have on the level of UC4, Bloodborne, R&C, Until Dawn, and Infamous?

wapplew

Every single one of those game just dominates Microsoft's exclusive lineup

Other than Halo and Quantum Break, what do they have on the level of UC4, Bloodborne, R&C, Until Dawn, and Infamous?

3 Forza, Titanfall, SO, Ori, RoTR, KI, I think that's about it for high score exclusive.

El-Suave

I prefer the Sony exclusives, too, but there's no denying that MS has stepped up its game in the exclusives department while Sony had a bit of a rough start on PS4, especially if you consider how they hammered home the point of how easy it is to develop on PS4 when they announced the system. It's one party rising from the bare minimum of effort while the other is declining from a high plateau that probably was unsustainable.

Top Bottom