• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

I prefer the Sony exclusives, too, but there's no denying that MS has stepped up its game in the exclusives department while Sony had a bit of a rough start on PS4, especially if you consider how they hammered home the point of how easy it is to develop on PS4 when they announced the system. It's one party rising from the bare minimum of effort while the other is declining from a high plateau that probably was unsustainable.
how have MS stepped up anything when they are still relying so much on Gears, Forza, and Halo to push the brand forward? TF & TR are timed deals to abrupt development of other versions versus them truly funding Dev work, both which did hardly anything for Xbox. what other notable exclusives are coming out for the platform that isn't on PS4 which is really the star of said genre? I'd say zero besides Halo Wars? No platform really has a solid strategy title that's exclusive. I'm interesting in stuff like Ori, Cuphead, Scalebound and Halo Wars, but I just disagree they have stepped anything up at all, they are behind in overall games, behind in exclusives, market share, and certainly Japanese support, and it seems all these trends are just growing.

I prefer the Sony exclusives, too, but there's no denying that MS has stepped up its game in the exclusives department while Sony had a bit of a rough start on PS4, especially if you consider how they hammered home the point of how easy it is to develop on PS4 when they announced the system. It's one party rising from the bare minimum of effort while the other is declining from a high plateau that probably was unsustainable.

Perspective. I'd say they've declined.

WpYK2kZ.png

Error on PvZ and Peggle though.

AmuroChan

I wonder why Colin thinks Sony cert looks for game breaking bugs. Considering some of the broken stuff that comes out, it sure seems like they don't care as long as your game doesn't brick systems or have a hacking exploit in it.

I mean Drive Club passed cert, Skyrim passed cert. Ratchet and Clank All 4 One passed cert.

DC's issues was online server-related, which didn't happen until post-launch. They would not have ran into it during cert, much like most reviewers didn't have issues either since the servers weren't hammered yet.

With games as big and complicated as they are today, there's no way cert can catch every single possible bug that the game has.

Man, Colin was doing so well this episode! Especially loved the discussion he and Brian had about obvious moves by publishers (hello, $20 Parappa title?). I overlooked his comments about those of us who like physical games clinging on to a lost cause because he himself his a lost cause at this point on that subject.

However Nintendo should learn from Pokemon Go to stop making hardware? Nah son.

Perspective. I'd say they've declined.

WpYK2kZ.png

Error on PvZ and Peggle though.

Yeesh... I knew they'd let things slide pretty badly in recent times but that ain't a pretty picture. Especially considering it was only a year plus or so ago that Spencer was making a stink about how they'd be dialling back on the moneyhats to focus on first party production.

Also, couple of observations: shouldn't Dead Rising 3 be red on the pic? And should Killer Instinct be listed 3 times just because of DLC coming out for it?

Zukkoyaki

I've never played The Getaway but Colin made me want to track it down and play it; also made me want a new one to come out in the mold that he described. Well done, sir!

Brian is doing a great job. Also shouting out GAF! BRAP BRAP to you good sir.

Thanks guys! Felt awesome to be back chatting games with Colin on PSILU and with Colin and Greg on Podcast Beyond. I genuinely miss hanging out and working with those guys. Very cool that we got to line up our planets for two podcasts together in one week. They've got my respect and support until the end of time.

And thanks for listening! Shout out to GAF!

Zukkoyaki

Thanks guys! Felt awesome to be back chatting games with Colin on PSILU and with Colin and Greg on Podcast Beyond. I genuinely miss hanging out and working with those guys. Very cool that we got to line up our planets for two podcasts together in one week. They've got my respect and support until the end of time.

Brian, you're absolutely right about Sony being the home of quarky Japanese shit! That's exactly why it's my gaming ecosystem of choice!

Hopefully you get to be back on PSILOY someone soon!

krae_man

DC's issues was online server-related, which didn't happen until post-launch. They would not have ran into it during cert, much like most reviewers didn't have issues either since the servers weren't hammered yet.

With games as big and complicated as they are today, there's no way cert can catch every single possible bug that the game has.

I don't think the plus version would have been delayed 9 months if the problems were just server related.

Watch Game Trailers review of All 4 One(FYI it's the disk version with no updates):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSwzUgpfUL8

Sony and Insomniac should be embarrassed. Insomniac for even sending that to Sony, and Sony for approving it.

Even after the day one patch, the game was a mess.

AmuroChan

I don't think the plus version would have been delayed 9 months if the problems were just server related.

Plus version was delayed because Sony knew their servers can't handle millions of new players all of a sudden. It can't be the game since the full version was already out and working fine months before the PS+ version came out.

xBigBeaz

Neo Member

Great Job on the Podcast today!

RoKKeR

Really enjoyed the episode today, Altano killed it. Brap brap.

Him talking about finding a community/home on Playstation was really well put, and I have similar feelings for Xbox on the other side of the aisle. It's all about the friends, history, experiences, etc.

Also love the idea of "Captain Fucking Obvious" telling companies to just release their classic games with trophies. Easy money.

Lexad

It was really neat today to listen to Colin and Greg on beyond and Brian on psilu.

I joined beyond literally at episode 498 so I never saw Greg and Colin. I knew Greg from a couple of videos in ign but that was about it. I have enjoyed the guys on beyond d and what they do. But I also started listening to psilu at the first episode and learned about these guys.

They both fit different needs for me in a PlayStation podcast and it was really cool to see the blending today

That episode was so great it made me think Beyond might deserve another chance. I listened to the Greg and Colin on Beyond episode until Max started making autism jokes and describing dog poop in graphic detail. Yeah, I'm just going to stick with PS I Love You.

Lexad

That episode was so great it made me think Beyond might deserve another chance. I listened to the Greg and Colin on Beyond episode until Max started making autism jokes and describing dog poop in graphic detail. Yeah, I'm just going to stick with PS I Love You.

I like when Brian and Max get into their banter, but that is just me. I also like Alana and Andrew a lot too.

Great episode...although Brian and Colin combined is seriously a potty mouth fest! Shame on you!!!

I am also retired Nintendo fan, that got converted to PS. I just couldn't be bothered with their systems and uncomfortable controllers after a while, was lost pretty much during the GameCube era.

I'm hoping Ninty brings me back in. Having fun with Pokemon Go, and looking forward to the new Zelda.

LiK

Right? Fantastic game, but I can't believe it doesn't have a platinum trophy.

Colin and Brian had it right. It's a Metroidvania and getting 100% is one of the main goals and not having a Plat is a huge oversight. Same feeling I had with Child of Light's lack of Plat.

Colin and Brian had it right. It's a Metroidvania and getting 100% is one of the main goals and not having a Plat is a huge oversight. Same feeling I had with Child of Light's lack of Plat.

Child of Light was another that annoyed me for the lack of a platinum trophy. I still got the 100% but its not the same. Lol

LiK

Child of Light was another that annoyed me for the lack of a platinum trophy. I still got the 100% but its not the same. Lol

I'm missing one. turns out I missed some of those sheets scattered about but no Plat means I'm too lazy to go back for it.

krae_man

Why would a develop opt to not include a Platinum trophy?

There has to be a cheaper cert fee for "small" games that conform to certain requirements and trophies must be one of them. Kind of like how PSP Mini's had restrictions like no online component for the same reason.

I don't believe it's "Sony lets us choose if we want one or not and I don't feel like my game needs a platinum".

jennetics

Tim Gettys should start saying "Let Colin host". That was a great episode! Not to say that it's better than when Greg hosts it, but it's a nice change of pace.

Playing Setsuna on my laptop, not PS4. Pretty simple gameplay and story but I appreciate how much it reminds me of the good old days of RPGs. It's fun!

Surprised by the lukewarm impressions from Colin towards Shiren since it seems like a game that is right up his alley. I will be giving it a shot tonight, it's been quite a while since I've played a Mystery Dungeon game.

I find it amazing that Greg and Colin, Colin especially, can be up the original Infamous' ass so much all the time (a game I also love you mind you), but then be so down on the Gravity Rush series. Gravity Rush is basically Infamous with a better main characters, better world, better visuals, more creative gameplay (Infamous is basically a third person shooter), better music, etc.

I find it amazing that Greg and Colin, Colin especially, can be up the original Infamous' ass so much all the time (a game I also love you mind you), but then be so down on the Gravity Rush series. Gravity Rush is basically Infamous with a better main characters, better world, better visuals, more creative gameplay (Infamous is basically a third person shooter), better music, etc.

I like literally everything about Infamous better. So it's not difficult for me to understand their opinions.

I adore both. I just think GR needs far more recognition rather than Infamous getting undeserved recognition.

Liamc723

Colin's argument for the digital future is so fucking stupid.

He doesn't think that PS4's will work in 10 years time, but he's certain that the PS5 will support PS4 games?

History has shown that these consoles will continue to work in the future, and there is no precedent of Sony supporting BC past the PS3.

It's a ridiculous argument.

He doesn't think that PS4's will work in 10 years time, but he's certain that the PS5 will support PS4 games?

History has shown that these consoles will continue to work in the future, and there is no precedent of Sony supporting BC past the PS3.

For me personally: being able to sell, trade in, and share physical copies of games is a deal breaker. Not interested at all in a digital-only future.

AmuroChan

Maybe they just don't like that world and art style. It's a much more foreign-feeling game than Infamous, which I think it's more appealing to the western audience.

For me personally: being able to sell, trade in, and share physical copies of games is a deal breaker. Not interested at all in a digital-only future.

To be fair, I would go all digital too if I don't have to pay for 99% of my games.

My issue with the argument, and I hope this gets settled when we get to an all-digital future, is how publishers unceremoniously delist digital games. Now, I understand that a lot of times that is due to licensing deals expiring, but look at how many physical games you can still play right now that would never be sold as is digitally because of particular songs or something else.

Fuck digital.

Honestly the digit future is already here honestly. I buy my music, movies and comics all digitally. On Vita I'm ALL digital, I literally do not own any physical Vita games.

But for my consoles, I can't go digital. I don't sell, or trade my games, my internet is relatively fast and downloading big files isn't really a problem. I like having a collection, I like looking at my shelf and seeing all my games in it.

Only way I'd consider going fully digital is if the games were sold cheaper than their physical counterparts. If Uncharted 5 on PS5 releases and it's $49 as opposed to $59 I'm getting that digital copy.

But Colin needs to realize that he is coming at this from a place of privilege. He doesn't buy his own games, they (Colin & Greg) have said repeatedly and have been forth right about the fact that for years they get codes from publishers, he also notes that he has fast internet.

Not everyone is in his situation and it's something he should consider.

But I completely agree, all things being equal (which here in the present, in the now it isn't) digital is the way to go.

Liamc723

Interesting how they never brought up that point, I'd love to see Colin try and defend the fact you can't trade-in your games through digital.

Top Bottom