• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

"ordinary" console gamers own at an average high of 10 games throughout the entirety of a console generation.

People who buy more than 2-3 games a year are the minority.

"ordinary" console gamers own at an average high of 10 games throughout the entirety of a console generation.

People who buy more than 2-3 games a year are the minority.

10 is being generous. There are people buying hundreds of games that are skewing the attach ratio higher than it really is.

bigjig

Speaking as someone who is both a PC gamer and a console (PS4/Wii U) the reasons why I don't mind digital distribution on PC and don't like on console are simple.

1. The PC never really had a second hand market to begin with, so I don't really feel the sting of giving up the ability to sell on my used games as much as I do with console. I know for Colin "I get all my games for free" Moriaty this is a fairly minor point, but for me the ability to resell my games to finance the purchase of new ones is a fairly big sticking point.

2. Maybe it's just me, but the download times I get on Steam are insanely fast compared to the Wii U and PS4. The console manufacturers REALLY need to improve their networks because download a 10GB or more game seems to take 10 times as long compared to Steam. (I live in Japan for reference, so it sure as shit isn't my connection)

3. Pricing. As the listener that wrote in said, you can often find new release games on Amazon (Japan) for 2,000 ~ 3,000 yen (around $20~$30) off the going price on PSN/Eshop. As much as people seem to think Steam is a monopoly, it isn't. It has pricing competition from various online retailers like Greenmangaming, Amazon, GOG, CDkeys, etc. - not to mention other publisher services like Origin, Blizzard.net, Uplay, etc. If the PS4 went all digital, where is the pricing competition going to come from if you can only get digital games off PSN? What incentive would they ever have to drop the price.

4. No real refund policy in place. Another sticking point for me. On Steam you can refund any game no questions asked provided less than 2 hours have been played on it and the game is within a 14 day window from purchase. I know you can technically badger customer service to give a refund on PSN in some circumstances, but in no way is that guaranteed and it really puts me off risking a purchase on digital console games.

So no, an all-digital future is not the obvious way to go on console just because it happened on PC. There are key differences between the platforms that absolutely make digital purchases an unattractive proposition on console compared to PC.

ST2K

4. No real refund policy in place. Another sticking point for me. On Steam you can refund any game no questions asked provided less than 2 hours have been played on it and the game is within a 14 day window from purchase. I know you can technically badger customer service to give a refund on PSN in some circumstances, but in no way is that guaranteed and it really puts me off risking a purchase on digital console games.

To be fair, isn't the refund policy shitty on physical games too? I think most (if not all) major retailers in the US won't accept a return for a game if it's been opened. That's not exactly a better solution.

bigjig

To be fair, isn't the refund policy shitty on physical games too? I think most (if not all) major retailers in the US won't accept a return for a game if it's been opened. That's not exactly a better solution.

That may be the case (I'm not really aware of the situation in the US), but even so you still have the option of selling a physical game on to get most of your money back, unlike digital where most of the time you have no recourse.

I'd be fine with the digital-only future under the following conditions:

*They match or beat Best Buy GCU pricing with all digital games 20% off for PS+ subscribers

*They give the opportunity to trade in digital games for 50% of purchase price for a couple of months after release to match the value of physical

*Every PSN purchase is forward-proof for all of their consoles

*Enhanced security and better customer service so people don't lose access to their games

*They absolutely have to have a better purchase management interface on both the console and the website. Sorting every single purchase chronologically is ridiculous, especially when renewing PS+ updates all of its content to the current date.

*The PS5 has to have at least a 20TB hard drive because deleting an installed game and reinstalling it off the disk takes less than a minute, but redownloading a 20GB game can take hours.

I think that if they want us to be all-digital, they need to make it a better experience and value than physical.

sh1fty

I'd like to see them shake things up a bit with this podcast... outside of the Brian Altano episode. which forced Colin out of his grumpy comfort zone a bit.. It feels a little stale.

The "TotS" haven't been very compelling lately and I feel like the episodes are often re-hashing the same issues over and over again and Colin get's very repetitive (ie. digital vs. physical debate, not being beholden to playing games we don't enjoy or trophy hunting, the promising non-gaming applications of VR)

It'd be nice to see Colin get back into a groove of playing more mainstream games that we can all relate to (his trophy profile is a barren wasteland since DOOM/UC4).. or maybe have a 3rd guest on more often to provide a different perspective.

Currently listening. Loving these folks on PSILY. Brian last time was great, and Marty is doing a great job so far as well. Love listening to him talk, he has tons of charisma. It would certainly be nice if the show got the "ever rotating third chair" back. If the Gamescast/GOG shows that are airing now with Jared Petty, alongside the PSILY with Brian last week show anything, is that as much as I love listening to the guys talk, whenever there is a guest on there the energy is totally different in an awesome way. Let's please have more PSILYs with guests in which both Greg and Colin are in there too!

Currently listening. Loving these folks on PSILY. Brian last time was great, and Marty is doing a great job so far as well. Love listening to him talk, he has tons of charisma. It would certainly be nice if the show got the "ever rotating third chair" back. If the Gamescast/GOG shows that are airing now with Jared Petty, alongside the PSILY with Brian last week show anything, is that as much as I love listening to the guys talk, whenever there is a guest on there the energy is totally different in an awesome way. Let's please have more PSILYs with guests in which both Greg and Colin are in there too!

Totally agree.

1) I don't see how this is so much more convenient. I order a game from Amazon, it's waiting for me when I get home from work on launch day. Alternatively, I swing by a Gamestop on my way home. The convenience there is minimal. Ordinary gamers don't need to play it on midnight of release day.
2) Similarly, ordinary gamers do not have hundreds or thousands of games on their account. This also requires an additional cost of storage space if you actually want them on hand, or you would have to wait a significant time while it downloads after you sift through storage to find what you want to delete to make space for.
3) They already are. Console gamers seem to not notice that Steam sales have dropped in quality due to Steam not having to compete as hard as they once did, making them largely equivalent to the sales we see on PSN. Now imagine if Sony had literally no one to compete with on PS game prices!
4) The pubs/devs that release on physical media already make a ton and make more money with used games liquidating the market for people to purchase their games.
5) I thought this was a pro for digital too, and yet I couldn't play anything from my 360/PS3 library at launch. MS has rolled out limited BC now, which leaves much to be desired but is at least something. Meanwhile, Sony for some reason still hasn't added basic PS1 classic emulator support, let alone PS3 emulation. They seem more interested in renting/selling my PS3 games back to me again through remasters or PS Now than giving me the games I purchased back through BC. It seems absurd to me to assume that both companies will honor this from now on.

Digital-only gaming is so problematic, I don't know why any price-conscious consumer would be on board.
im not here to debate personal preference lol. The point is, a digital future can be beneficial to many people, obviously you are price-conscious but there are many who aren't. 1 & 2 in particularly are very personal as I have over hundreds of games just going back to PS3 era and I have Amazon prime (1-2 day shipping) and I still like digital versions over it. Might not be appealing or as convenient for you, but I think Its easy to see how it would be for others.

Zukkoyaki

I really enjoyed this episode with Marty! I agree with everyone that more frequent guests or maybe even a third chair would do wonders to spice up this podcast (I still love it though!).

DKHF

I agree, having a guest adds a lot to the show and is refreshing. Though sometimes I like just having Colin and Greg, mainly when there's big PS news to discuss and they can have some good debates like after a conference or when Neo leaked.

They should have Goldfarb on next to continue this trend of having Beyond hosts on, with both Colin and Greg there.

I have to agree with others that having a different dynamic other than Colin & Greg has been refreshing. Both episodes with Altano and Marty have been solid episodes that I've enjoyed.

Altano reminded me of why I wanted him to be the 3rd permanent member on Beyond until Scoville came along and turned him into a always obligingly laughing yes man.

This week's episode with Marty was good too. It's nice to have something different from time to time.

I really enjoyed this episode with Marty! I agree with everyone that more frequent guests or maybe even a third chair would do wonders to spice up this podcast (I still love it though!).

I'd love if they could get Goldfarb back for an episode. I had always thought beyond was best when it was Greg, Colin, and Goldfarb.

DKHF

I disagree with C&G that Neo is coming out next year. I think they reveal and release it within the span of a few weeks (somewhat like Apple but with a slightly larger reveal to release window). The thing about the final dev kits going out around September could just be slightly tweaked kits from what developers already have. And the "neo mode" for most third party games coming out this fall will probably have extremely minor upgrades if anything so I don't know that they would need a large amount of time with its final specs regardless. They will probably just make their games able to run on Neo consoles. With only the first party games taking significant advantage of it at first.

DKHF

It's disappointing that they were so harsh on Abzu. It's not like the market is flooded with thise kinds of games.
Yeah and sadly I also feel like it's gonna be the same with The Last Guardian. Even if TLG is a decent to good game it will be judged very harshly by CG + critics after the years of waiting to the point where it will discourage publishers from funding games like it (which there are pretty much none of coming out in the current market, at the very least at TLG's scale).

DKHF

Sorry for the double post but I'm watching next week's gamescast (through Patreon early access) and in the topic about the PlayStation Meeting Colin just said something intriguing. He said while he originally totally dismissed what people were saying about Red Dead having meant to be at the end of Sony's E3, he's now heard from sources he "absolutely fucking trusts" that it was meant to be there. And "these sources aren't wrong about anything". I'm guessing it was probably a Sony employee. This makes me think we might see Red Dead at the Neo unveiling.

Posted it here because this thread is a lot more active than the general KF thread and this is more relevant to purely PlayStation discussion.

Sorry for the double post but I'm watching next week's gamescast (through Patreon early access) and in the topic about the PlayStation Meeting Colin just said something intriguing. He said while he originally totally dismissed what people were saying about Red Dead having meant to be at the end of Sony's E3, he's now heard from sources he "absolutely fucking trusts" that it was meant to be there. And "these sources aren't wrong about anything". I'm guessing it was probably a Sony employee. This makes me think we might see Red Dead at the Neo unveiling.

Posted it here because this thread is a lot more active than the general KF thread and this is more relevant to purely PlayStation discussion.

There is absolutely nothing else that could be announced in gaming that would have me more hyped and ready to throw money at a product than Red Dead.

That's very intriguing indeed. I wonder what the reason for the delay could possibly have been.

RoKKeR

Wow... crazy if true. Don't care where it shows up, I just need to have the title and a release date and I'm there.

notaxation

Neo Member

Just to be clear on this, I'm not in any way, shape, or form substantiating the rumors. I have no primary source(s) here (and, frankly, I haven't been a journalist since 2014, and I'm not really poking and prodding around for details these days... much of the stuff I talk about on the shows, Tweet about, and the like comes to me). I'm simply reiterating that I've heard this same rumor that was originally floating around on (I think) Reddit through a filter that makes me trust that information more, when originally, I was skeptical, if not completely dismissive.

It's important to note that Sony itself (via Adam Boyes back in June, I believe) said that the rumors were false, and that the show was locked. But with the timing of the conference, the Orlando Shooting, and the obvious strangeness of the placement and cadence of the Days Gone stinger, it's crystal clear why skepticism is abound. I'm pretty sure we'll never actually know, but it's fun to talk about, especially with the Neo announcement forthcoming.

Hope that puts things into perspective. Have a good weekend! -Colin

P.S. I haven't dropped in here for a while; thank you for continuing to support the show. It's growing, people seem happy with it, and Greg and I are having a blast doing it.

The pride of Long Island...Always good to hear from you kind sir...tks for the clarification. One more month and we'll know I guess.

PS The last Guardian is gonna be awesome

DKHF

Just to be clear on this, I'm not in any way, shape, or form substantiating the rumors. I have no primary source(s) here (and, frankly, I haven't been a journalist since 2014, and I'm not really poking and prodding around for details these days... much of the stuff I talk about on the shows, Tweet about, and the like comes to me). I'm simply reiterating that I've heard this same rumor that was originally floating around on (I think) Reddit through a filter that makes me trust that information more, when originally, I was skeptical, if not completely dismissive.

It's important to note that Sony itself (via Adam Boyes back in June, I believe) said that the rumors were false, and that the show was locked. But with the timing of the conference, the Orlando Shooting, and the obvious strangeness of the placement and cadence of the Days Gone stinger, it's crystal clear why skepticism is abound. I'm pretty sure we'll never actually know, but it's fun to talk about, especially with the Neo announcement forthcoming.

Hope that puts things into perspective. Have a good weekend! -Colin

P.S. I haven't dropped in here for a while; thank you for continuing to support the show. It's growing, people seem happy with it, and Greg and I are having a blast doing it.
Thanks Colin, I had incorrectly assumed you heard it through a primary source. If it did happen I don't think Adam would admit that. And that's nothing against him, just Sony and Rockstar wouldn't want him to imply anything about the situation. Hopefully we finally see the game soon.

aadiboy

I don't get why the Orlando shooting would affect Red Dead and not Days Gone. I mean, yeah, you're shooting zombies, but you would think they would remove any game from the conference with mass shooting, like COD. And that COD trailer is probably ten times more violent than any Red Dead trailer would have been.

bryanee

I don't get why the Orlando shooting would affect Red Dead and not Days Gone. I mean, yeah, you're shooting zombies, but you would think they would remove any game from the conference with mass shooting, like COD. And that COD trailer is probably ten times more violent than any Red Dead trailer would have been.

The rumours about Red Dead stated it was cut because a saloon/bar get shot up in the trailer.

I dont think its the nature of the game itself, it was that there was a specific scene in the announcement trailer which made R*/Take two pull it out.

Edit: Beaten.

To think it all began with just a couple of friends talking about random crap, and now they are where they are. Pretty inspiring stuff. Can't wait to see the stuff to come from the studio!

Really excited for the KF guys. Can't wait to see what the new studio looks like. I've been a big fan of the content they've put out over the past 18 months, and am excited for what they can do now that they have their own space.

"Just a couple of friends", two of whom hosted an incredibly popular PlayStation podcast.

I'd argue the strong rapport between Greg and Colin is the reason for Beyond's success. When the Game Over Greggy show started they weren't allowed to cover gaming material, yet they were able to build a strong fan base for the content they were making on that channel which lead to the launch of a very successful patreon. Perhaps Beyond helped to bring attention to Kinda Funny in the beginning, but it's the content they continue to produce which has lead to them getting where they are.

I'm in the same boat. Easy Allies' podcast seems more my style now.
I thought I was the odd man out. I haven't watched/listened in a few weeks now. Colin just irked me one too many times with his stubbornness and general attitude. Maybe I just need a break or maybe I'll just watch an episode here and there instead of every week.

Finding it harder to listen to this podcast anymore. Just doesn't click.

I'm in the same boat. Easy Allies' podcast seems more my style now.

I love the easy allies guys they're something special about those guys that even if I disagree on their opinions they aren't smearing it on your face like Colin.

Why should we listen to someone about the value of a product, when that someone always gets the said product for free?

I thought I was the odd man out. I haven't watched/listened in a few weeks now. Colin just irked me one too many times with his stubbornness and general attitude. Maybe I just need a break or maybe I'll just watch an episode here and there instead of every week.

I've also dropped off heavily since Easy Allies. I was such a huge fan of Beyond back in the day, but I think they became far too self referential and self serving. They make things more about themselves than about the conversation. I still tune in every once in awhile of course, but I don't watch all the podcasts and C&GL every day like I use to. The Allies meanwhile, I can listen to them talk about games I have 0 interest in and still find the conversation interesting.

Top Bottom