• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

killroy87

Yeah, I haven't listened in a few weeks either. I'm not a super big fan of the structure of the podcast, but that's a super subjective opinion. I dunno, I can't really put my finger on exactly what doesn't click. I was going to say that it generally just being the two of them has made it a bit repetitive, that I can pretty much predict what each of them will have to say on each topic (especially Colin), but there are lots of podcasts I enjoy that are manned by just two people.

I think I just feel like Colin's demeanor doesn't naturally invite the kind of playful discussion that I like out of a podcast. He speaks to declarative on subjects, and can be so stubborn, that it can actually be a bit exhausting. I think he's super smart, and can inject an incredible opinion into a topic he's passionate about. But the structure of PSILY, where it's just him and Greg and it tries to cover all news items and such, it's much less engaging when he's clearly...much less engaged.

Plus, there's the undeniable fact that choosing to focus on Playstation forces them to really stretch for a Topic of the Week in the quieter periods.

I tend to stick with the Gamescast, since that has a larger variety of topics and opinions. I'm a supporter on Patreon because I think they work incredibly hard to put out a ton of content, and I'm glad they're making PSILY, but it just isn't for me.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Why should we listen to someone about the value of a product, when that someone always gets the said product for free?

So we should just disregard all game, movie, book and tech reviews etc? Basically have no professional reviewers anymore and just rely on Amazon reviews and such?

It's a valid question, but then you shouldn't trust any reputable gaming website, podcast, or video series.

Not really. I will trust reviews as reviews will mostly deal with quality. And while value is also considered (rent, buy, etc.), it's not as significant as saying video game consumers are better off by always buying their games from digital stores (since this is advice on general purchasing behavior and not the quality of a single product). I mean I don't think someone who doesn't buy games and just gets them for free would be a better advisor on video game purchasing behavior (how to get better value for money) as someone who actually spends money on all the games they are able to play.

I think I just feel like Colin's demeanor doesn't naturally invite the kind of playful discussion that I like out of a podcast. He speaks to declarative on subjects, and can be so stubborn, that it can actually be a bit exhausting. I think he's super smart, and can inject an incredible opinion into a topic he's passionate about. But the structure of PSILY, where it's just him and Greg and it tries to cover all news items and such, it's much less engaging when he's clearly...much less engaged.
I think this nails it actually. Especially the bold. I just find myself eye rolling too much and it isn't because I disagree with Colin. It is because of how overbearing he is at times.

Maximo

Haven't found myself loosing interest in PS/Kinda Funny besides Easy Allies they are my favourite Podcasts to listen to, Colin can be dug in at times but thats why I love his opinion when it comes to certain topics either on PS Or Kinda Funny. Everyone hates his opinions until its a topic that needs that Colin passion to drive it home then suddenly everyone loves him again.

sh1fty

Would changing the time of day/week that PSILY records make a difference? Sounds like they usually record late at night as they often comment on being tired and it feels (especially so for Colin) that they are doing it purely out of obligation and not passion.

Maybe ditching Colin & Greg Live? They produce a bunch of content already (Gamescast, PSILY, etc.) that maybe taking some things off their plate would help.

I think Colin could also use a 3 month vacation or something from all content and KF obligations to recharge his batteries, and hopefully come back refreshed and more positive.

I was genuinely looking forward to hearing their thoughts on No Man`s Sky... but was disappointed when I launched the Reacts video and both Colin and Greg admitted to only playing it for 1-1.5 hours :/

I think this nails it actually. Especially the bold. I just find myself eye rolling too much and it isn't because I disagree with Colin. It is because of how overbearing he is at times.

Ha maybe. I saw the show notes for this episode and thought "uh oh." NEO, No Man's Sky and Final Fantasy? All we need is discussion of TLG and the digital future for all the topics I disagree with Colin about lol.

RoKKeR

Would changing the time of day/week that PSILY records make a difference? Sounds like they usually record late at night as they often comment on being tired and it feels (especially so for Colin) that they are doing it purely out of obligation and not passion.

Maybe ditching Colin & Greg Live? They produce a bunch of content already (Gamescast, PSILY, etc.) that maybe taking some things off their plate would help.

Are we listening to different shows? I don't get this vibe at all, and I like PSILY because it's Colin and Greg's rapport packaged into podcast form. Always enjoy listening.

And they should under no circumstances get rid of C&GL, that's the best content they produce. I hope they never put that dumpster fire out!

Ha maybe. I saw the show notes for this episode and thought "uh oh." NEO, No Man's Sky and Final Fantasy? All we need is discussion of TLG and the digital future for all the topics I disagree with Colin about lol.

Only thing he really says that bugs me when he starts talking about NEO because A. We really don't know everything about it 100% yet. B. Even with rumored specs that are out there, saying it is only a "slight upgrade" is just wrong. As someone who has played PC games for a while, I know that every 3 years the new video cards coming out are a significant upgrade. And seeing how the NEO will have a 480 in it, that's pretty substantial.

I don't get people's beef with Colin and his opinion on Digital Future. He is just stating a fact. Eventually we will only be able to get games digitally, and the PC is the perfect example of this.

Other things are just opinions and I am not going to agree with everyone on everything.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get people's beef with Colin and his opinion on Digital Future. He is just stating a fact. Eventually we will only be able to get games digitally, and the PC is the perfect example of this.

I agree that gaming will eventually be all digital 100% but I disagree in regards to Colin or anyone for that matter thinking that the games will be cheaper. They won't be. Digital games on PS4/Xbox One aren't cheaper WITH competition (discs) so why would they be cheaper without competition?

Also, Steam is a lone exception. Games sell way more on consoles than they do on PC and because of that, games go on sale more often on PC and are cheaper than their console counterparts.

Perfect example is this - The Evil Within as of right now on the PlayStation Store is STILL $60. Disc version is $20 new. Considering the amount of money that the publisher saves via digital, you would think that the price would be the opposite but it's not.

I believe that all games will be $60 (or more) and will stay that way for their entirety unless sales decrease dramatically because at the end of the day, digital only option means that the consumer has only two choices -

1) Buy the game at $60 and take your chances or 2) Don't buy the game at all.

Sales and discounts are here and there now so imagine how little the sales and discounts would be if there's no other way of buying and playing the game except for digitally?

And no, I don't believe for one single second that any publisher is going to pass on their savings to the consumers. With all of this said, just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

I agree that gaming will eventually be all digital 100% but I disagree in regards to Colin or anyone for that matter thinking that the games will be cheaper. They won't be. Digital games on PS4/Xbox One aren't cheaper WITH competition (discs) so why would they be cheaper without competition?

Also, Steam is a lone exception. Games sell way more on consoles than they do on PC and because of that, games go on sale more often on PC and are cheaper than their console counterparts.

Perfect example is this - The Evil Within as of right now on the PlayStation Store is STILL $60. Disc version is $20 new. Considering the amount of money that the publisher saves via digital, you would think that the price would be the opposite but it's not.

I believe that all games will be $60 (or more) and will stay that way for their entirety unless sales decrease dramatically because at the end of the day, digital only option means that the consumer has only two choices -

1) Buy the game at $60 and take your chances or 2) Don't buy the game at all.

Sales and discounts are here and there now so imagine how little the sales and discounts would be if there's no other way of buying and playing the game except for digitally?

And no, I don't believe for one single second that any publisher is going to pass on their savings to the consumers. With all of this said, just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

It's games will be cheaper as companies will be able to experiment more. Look at The Witness, that game was able to sell for 40$ digital only.

And Discs are the reason why Digital games aren't cheaper. They don't want to upset retail partners so digital games need to be more expensive/same price.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
It's games will be cheaper as companies will be able to experiment more. Look at The Witness, that game was able to sell for 40$ digital only.

And Discs are the reason why Digital games aren't cheaper. They don't want to upset retail partners so digital games need to be more expensive/same price.

The Witness is a PSN game. It's not a full retail based game. When was the last time you saw a disc based game $60 and the digital version $40 at release on consoles? It's never happened.

Upsetting retail partners is more bullshit than anything. Stores buy games in bulk and can always send them back for credit. And this long term doesn't make any sense because look at The Evil Within. It's $20 new in stores yet it's $60 digitally. Retailers only care about new released games. Once games decrease in prices, stores tend to start clearing them out for newer releases. Seriously, what's stopping Bethesda from lowering The Evil Within to $20 digitally? It's definitely not because of retailers.

Publishers just want to make as much money off consumers as possible and I don't blame them for that as I would do the same thing but games at $60 two years later is absurd. For me to buy games digitally, they would have to be $30 at launch especially if it's a game im taking a "chance" on.

Obviously, in time, we will see how it all plays out. I just don't think that publishers will pass on their savings to the consumers.

RoKKeR

Colin thinks the Neo is going to be $300?? Did he misspeak? When he said "same price" I took it to mean as the same price of the PS4 at launch, which was $400.

The Witness is a PSN game. It's not a full retail based game. When was the last time you saw a disc based game $60 and the digital version $40 at release on consoles? It's never happened.

Upsetting retail partners is more bullshit than anything. Stores buy games in bulk and can always send them back for credit. And this long term doesn't make any sense because look at The Evil Within. It's $20 new in stores yet it's $60 digitally. Retailers only care about new released games. Once games decrease in prices, stores tend to start clearing them out for newer releases. Seriously, what's stopping Bethesda from lowering The Evil Within to $20 digitally? It's definitely not because of retailers.

Publishers just want to make as much money off consumers as possible and I don't blame them for that as I would do the same thing but games at $60 two years later is absurd. For me to buy games digitally, they would have to be $30 at launch especially if it's a game im taking a "chance" on.

Obviously, in time, we will see how it all plays out. I just don't think that publishers will pass on their savings to the consumers.

That's the point with the witness. it didn't have to be released physically so they could charge 40$. After distribution fees and everything it's hard to only charge 40$ for a physical game. So if you are going to go through all the trouble to print it and what not, at that point you almost have to charge 60$.

It being digital only allowed them to only charge 40$ for it. You can see this on steam with all the various price points on new games from 10 to 60$.

Obviously big publishers will always charge 60, but as more and more indi developers come about and start using Digital, you will start to see more varied price points on games.
Having said that, Look at Overwatch. On PC because Blizzard could publish it themselves on their own store Overwatch was only 40$ on PC. Everywhere else it was 60 because of all the fees and distribution costs.

Colin thinks the Neo is going to be $300?? Did he misspeak? When he said "same price" I took it to mean as the same price of the PS4 at launch, which was $400.

Yeah.... There is about a 1% chance that NEO is under 400$ IMO.

Banned
Meh. Speak for yourselves. I love the dichotomy of Colin and Greg. Mix in Tim on Gamescast and you got a well balanced trio.

It's informative, entertaining, funny, consistent in presentation and schedule, and transparent.

15 minutes seems like a miniscule amount of time before dismissing a game.

Meh. Speak for yourselves. I love the dichotomy of Colin and Greg. Mix in Tim on Gamescast and you got a well balanced trio.

It's informative, entertaining, funny, consistent in presentation and schedule, and transparent.

Of course they are great together. I think a third member with slightly different taste/opinions would be cool though.

Yep. I'm still enjoying their content. Looking forward to the new studio.

His next sentence is stating that would be a best case scenario, lol. The argument is that a $300 tag would placate people upset about having to upgrade.
And he's totally right. If they can swing that, it would be huge.

DKHF

I'll call Vince out on one thing. Persona 5 won't outsell FFXV in Japan. For a few reasons but one significant one is, as I saw in the media create thread the other day, someone worked out that Sega must be only shipping around 500k copies for the game in Japan (at least for its release quarter?) based off something from Sega's financials. And P4's original release sold around 290k and Golden only got to 350k shipped there. Even if FFXV has a precipitous decrease in sales (which it will) from what FFXIII sold there (1.9mil) it will still outdo P5 and end up in the 950k-1.2mil range most likely. I could see P5 doing more than 500k lifetime in Japan though, maybe hitting 600k. So the gap is not that big but Persona hasn't overtaken it there yet.

I feel like Neo talk is not well prepared. Too busy to do a little homework on the topic?

Listening to Colin talk about Neo when he clearly hasn't deep dived or analysed everything related to the Neo leaks and House interviews etc is frustrating .

Heck PS4 vanilla isn't even $300 lol. It's $349.

I think what will come out of the Neo event is:

PS4 Neo: $399-$449
PS4 Vanilla/Slim: $299

RoKKeR

Listening to Colin talk about Neo when he clearly hasn't deep dived or analysed everything related to the Neo leaks and House interviews etc is frustrating .

Heck PS4 vanilla isn't even $300 lol. It's $349.

I think what will come out of the Neo event is:

PS4 Neo: $399-$449
PS4 Vanilla/Slim: $299

Agreed on your pricing estimates.

rvarg007

Neo Member
I'll call Vince out on one thing. Persona 5 won't outsell FFXV in Japan. For a few reasons but one significant one is, as I saw in the media create thread the other day, someone worked out that Sega must be only shipping around 500k copies for the game in Japan (at least for its release quarter?) based off something from Sega's financials. And P4's original release sold around 290k and Golden only got to 350k shipped there. Even if FFXV has a precipitous decrease in sales (which it will) from what FFXIII sold there (1.9mil) it will still outdo P5 and end up in the 950k-1.2mil range most likely. I could see P5 doing more than 500k lifetime in Japan though, maybe hitting 600k. So the gap is not that big but Persona hasn't overtaken it there yet.

Don't dismiss digital sales, especially if the hype for P5 is as I've been hearing for Japan. People would want to play it as soon as possible so digital is the way to go on that front. It probably won't outsell FFXV but it may come close.

Colin Neo ain't gonna be $300 mate...lol but yeah i think they are looking to launch at same price as original PS4. But you never know they could go with a different CPU and come on at $500 with the original Ps4 at $300 or $250, can't call it.

Highlights for me

- NMS hype is a bit of everyone's fault not just devs and Sony, but media as well. And it stems from media people growing jaded and wishing something new and exciting would happen with the upgrades in tech and not prettier experiences that's been similar since Ps2. Everyone just wanted NMS to be something not possible before, and endless space fits the bill. It's a unique game that's for sure.

- Colin's comparison with the movie industry in how there aren't new genres in movies and music, why are we looking to be blown away by something radically new instead of accepting "this is it" so to speak. I agree we are approaching there with gaming even though movies has it by a century, but not there yet. VR is a game changer IMO and storytelling in gaming is still in its infancy.

Great show Colin!

DKHF

Don't dismiss digital sales, especially if the hype for P5 is as I've been hearing for Japan. People would want to play it as soon as possible so digital is the way to go on that front. It probably won't outsell FFXV but it may come close.
Digital sales add a bit to the overall sales for JP games but from what I've seen it isn't very much. Even with them it won't overtake/equal it.

I don't agree with this because when the price on a game has dropped almost universally at retail after it's been out for 5+ months, that same game is still higher on the digital store the majority of the time.

So we should just disregard all game, movie, book and tech reviews etc? Basically have no professional reviewers anymore and just rely on Amazon reviews and such?

Hey you can't rely on Amazon reviewers most of them get the products for free now too, seen it in loads of reviews for things I have been buying lately like headphones etc a disclaimer saying they got the product for free or at a discount.

Colin, I still love PS I Love You & while I may completely disagree with your opinions (No Man's Sky, Neo, Digital) I respect the way you came to them & how you talk about them as you have said in the past what is the point of listening to only people you agree with (especially about politics) this only leads to nothing you think ever being challenged and you don't learning anything. Can't wait to see next weeks ep in the new studio! even If i might have to pull a 21+ hour day to see it live (next day is already booked off).

Keep up the good work and hope the studio reduces everyone at KF stress and tiredness (especially Nick god bless him) and look forward to seeing the new content and C&G being a bit late every once in a while again :) Cause often i can't get there for 7pm/11am on the dot.

His next sentence is stating that would be a best case scenario, lol. The argument is that a $300 tag would placate people upset about having to upgrade.
And he's totally right. If they can swing that, it would be huge.

Why would they take a loss or break even to placate people who already have PS4s? They don't have to upgrade. Sony isn't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. PS4 Neo is a profit driven decision.

lawtowler

Big fan of PSILY and Gamescast, although it is a little concerning how frequently Greg and Colin aren't hosting it together recently when compared to the first 40+ weeks. I know they have referenced it a couple of times but "Greg is off doing something" isn't much of an explanation.

Can see people's points on Colin but isn't that supposed to be the point? To me, that's his role within KindaFunny in general. I often "eye roll" when he speaks about FF15, NMS etc but at least he stamping personality on the podcast - it's interesting to hear someone with strong opinions, as opposed to non-commital, generic games talk.

Big fan of PSILY and Gamescast, although it is a little concerning how frequently Greg and Colin aren't hosting it together recently when compared to the first 40+ weeks. I know they have referenced it a couple of times but "Greg is off doing something" isn't much of an explanation.

Can see people's points on Colin but isn't that supposed to be the point? To me, that's his role within KindaFunny in general. I often "eye roll" when he speaks about FF15, NMS etc but at least he stamping personality on the podcast - it's interesting to hear someone with strong opinions, as opposed to non-commital, generic games talk.

They have spoken about it on C&G live, should be getting back to normal once in the new studio is up and running as been spread very thin with NIck out the picture and Kevin helping a lot to build the studio and a few things came up like Greg is at Rooster Teeth filming $1 million but series that sounds really fun, but will also help grow Kindafunny. But also I think is a result of Colin not going anywhere anymore (which i actually like cause it means C&G does not stop when they go places) so they are both not somewhere else to record so whoever is in SF on Monday hosts with a guest.

Tjamato88

I think Greg was out this week for some Rooster Teeth function or Let's Play Live in Chicago.

rubes7844

Banned
It's a valid question, but then you shouldn't trust any reputable gaming website, podcast, or video series.
I'll trust those people because they are giving a valid opinion on the content of the game itself, not the value of the game. And I do agree that people who get everything for free, including consoles, will not know the value of said product.

But it wasn't so grating back in the IGN days when Colin was just on Podcast Beyond once a week, with two or three other people to balance him out. Now that it's 5 days of C&GL, a PlayStation podcast, a general interest podcast, and an overall games podcast, Colin's attitude and stubbornness gets a little much. That and I think becoming more reclusive since leaving IGN has made him worse.

It reminds me of sports radio guys who have 5 hour shifts 5 days a week, they end up spewing out the same info over and over and over again. Or like DKHF says below, they end up talking about something they're not familiar with and saying incorrect things or making wild guesses and disguising them as facts.

Not to say I don't like Colin, I was listening to Beyond since 2009 so clearly I am/was a fan, I just think the Kinda Funny format hasn't been the greatest, I'm missing the IGN days. For someone like Colin I think being one of many was a better fit for him, Greg too, arguably.

DKHF

I also want to point out to Colin since he said there was enough cross-pollination of talent between those working on Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy XV that we won't see KHIII for years (2018 at the earliest), KHIII is being developed by a completely separate team from FFXV. They're even in different cities (KHIII in Osaka, FFXV in Tokyo). So any drama with XV's development team isn't taking away from KH's development. The only time there was significant cross-pollination of talent between them was when Nomura was directing both, but since he left XV in December 2013 that hasn't been an issue for a long time now.

And KHIII and FFVIIR will most likely have much smoother development cycles thanks to using UE4, not Square Enix's proprietary engine like FFXV is using, which is being built alongside the game.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I voiced my dislike about colin before. Still not a fan. Although, he does give balance to Greg.

But $300... LOL!

Podcast would be boring with Colin, you guys are buggin. You need contrasting personalities, I'm sure none of us would be super interesting to listen to week in and week out. Well I would because I'm super cool, but generally speaking...

lawtowler

They have spoken about it on C&G live, should be getting back to normal once in the new studio is up and running as been spread very thin with NIck out the picture and Kevin helping a lot to build the studio and a few things came up like Greg is at Rooster Teeth filming $1 million but series that sounds really fun, but will also help grow Kindafunny. .

Fair enough, I haven't been keeping up with C&GL as much recently so that would be why I didn't know.

But it wasn't so grating back in the IGN days when Colin was just on Podcast Beyond once a week, with two or three other people to balance him out. Now that it's 5 days of C&GL, a PlayStation podcast, a general interest podcast, and an overall games podcast, Colin's attitude and stubbornness gets a little much. That and I think becoming more reclusive since leaving IGN has made him worse.

I don't entirely disagree with this, I can see your (and many other people's) point - I just don't think it has bothered me as much...yet. I take a lot of it as tongue-in-cheek personally.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I think that PlayStation Neo will be released on September 27th for $400 and include a 500GB hard drive. Bigger hard drives will cost more ala Xbox One Slim. The base PS4 drops to $300 on the same day as when Neo releases.

I would be very surprised and dumbfounded if Sony also shows off a Slim model because what's the point? Having the base PS4, slim and Neo all at the same time is oversaturating their own market and makes no sense.

One thing someone else mentioned on another forum is this - what if Neo also happens to be a slim model? Basically, a two in one. Would this even be possible? If so, that would actually be a smart idea.

imBask

Banned
I honestly think the Neo will be 499 if they're actually going to shove as much power as they can to compete with Scorpio.

499 is way too high IMO, but I still think that's what's going to happen, 399 is way too optimistic

Podcast would be boring with Colin, you guys are buggin. You need contrasting personalities, I'm sure none of us would be super interesting to listen to week in and week out. Well I would because I'm super cool, but generally speaking...
The problem isn't contrasting personalities. The people complaining are people who (used to?) regularly view episodes. So, we obviously like the dynamic.

It is just that Colin can be annoyingly stubborn and overbearing with his opinions and it can be draining. I disagree on things with Greg at times as well but he doesn't irk me with how he gives his opinion.

Colin's general mood isn't good either. He comes off as lethargic and uninterested here and there. He seems to be going through the motions sometimes.

It is just that Colin can be annoyingly stubborn and overbearing with his opinions and it can be draining. I disagree on things with Greg at times as well but he doesn't irk me with how he gives his opinion.

It was funny, this week Vince kind of called him on it but added that he's not always like that. I was just thinking to my self, "... He kind of is". I'd like to think it's just the way he speaks, but it makes it really hard to take him seriously at times.

I honestly think the Neo will be 499 if they're actually going to shove as much power as they can to compete with Scorpio.

499 is way too high IMO, but I still think that's what's going to happen, 399 is way too optimistic
i think $499 this year and $399 next year would be a smart way to do it. Then again, many users here have said 4TF is a really good bump and it only seems weak because MS announced a even bigger jump a full year from now, so I wouldn't be surprised if specs stay roughly the same, some increases in Ram or slight over clock to CPU adjustments etc...and we get the $399 version.

Top Bottom