• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

This was the best episode of PS I Love You I have seen so far.

I agree with almost everything Colin said, this was the wrong way to build on PS4's success.

Give me the software.

Curufinwe

To Colin's point whether or not this may affect us, like having to wait for a game longer or not, we still don't know. This creates this weird disparity that no one asked for. This thing doesn't even run 4K Blu-ray for crying out loud. Games aren't displayed at native 4k resolution. Why not keep the technology in wraps and just come out with a PS5 later?

Because the technology for a true generational leap is still years away, and Sony saw the negative effects of having hardware go a long time without being upgraded last gen. Interest waned in the PS3/360/Wii so much towards the tail end of the generation that media kept questioning whether people wanted new consoles at all. But they did. They wanted new hardware at a reasonable price, and when Sony gave it to them they lapped it up with a spoon.

This is basic, basic stuff.

"That was old Sony"

Exactly what I said in another thread. Props to you Colin. I disagree with you on a lot, but you're spot-on here.

Old Sony overpriced their hardware. Colin settled on his anti-Neo stance a long time ago and will say any shit he can think of to try and justify it. But it's not even slightly convincing, and these things are going to fly off the shelf at $399.

Man, Colin is so annoying. If people want a system that can offer better graphics and 60fps for their games, why not? if people want to stick with their regular ps4 they have that option.

That's what's irritating me about his points, he keeps talking about the console like it's something offensive, just don't buy it, it's not taking away games from the PS4, it's not forcing you to upgrade.

Demoskinos

Please point me to the PC that plays Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 or Horizon?

Exactly. There are things about console gaming that people specifically enjoy that PC gaming CANNOT do. There are differences and saying that console gamers don't care about fidelity is entirely wrong.

Tim says dumb shit sometimes but people do hate on him too much.

Man they all say dumb stuff sometimes. People just have this weird sort of grudge that they can't let go with Tim for some reason. He definitely does not deserve the hate for his performance in this video.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If you believe in paying $400 on top of what you paid for your og PS4 to play two games at a higher fidelity then you're an outlier.

Its not just two games though, but every game going forward and a growing list of games from the past. That was the point of the NEO, we knew this months and months before it launched.

What argument are you making to the contrary

If you believe in paying $400 on top of what you paid for your og PS4 to play two games at a higher fidelity then you're an outlier.
And $500 if you are in Canada lmfao.

As to the Tim hate, I feel like at this point it's just a bullying thing. I often times notice that for some reason people expect him to be perfect while everyone else on the show is allowed to be who they are, crack jokes and be wrong once or twice. Poor guy handles the hate pretty well on camera though, but one has to wonder how much it must eat at him.

Old Sony overpriced their hardware. Colin settled on his anti-Neo stance a long time ago and will say any shit he can think of to try and justify it. But it's not even slightly convincing, and these things are going to fly off the shelf at $399.

That quote was mainly directed at the presentation itself. It felt like an event from 2007.

I actually disagree with his overall opinion on the Pro, though he does bring up some good points in that area as well.

Colin was anti-Neo since day 1. If you're one of them, of course you will agree with him.

But I'm not one of them.

Raylan

Banned
"That was old Sony"

Exactly what I said in another thread. Props to you Colin. I disagree with you on a lot, but you're spot-on here.

Colin was anti-Neo since day 1. If you're one of them, of course you will agree with him.

Colin is crying like a baby, since the Neo got announced... or leaked. It's hard to watch.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The PS5 will have been coming out in 2019 regardless, that's about as short a time as they could have gotten it for a generational gap, 6 years.

Why? Cause you said so?

No reason they couldn't launch in 2018 with something alike or slightly more powerful than Scorpio and called it next gen.

Also to many people got use to last gen calling it a 6 year thing.

Its not just two games though, but every game going forward and a growing list of games from the past. That was the point of the NEO, we knew this months and months before it launched.

What argument are you making to the contrary

Those are just examples. There will be hundreds of higher fidelity games.

If higher fidelity games are something you're interested in investing in then why not go PC?

Maximo

Man they all say dumb stuff sometimes. People just have this weird sort of grudge that they can't let go with Tim for some reason. He definitely does not deserve the hate for his performance in this video.

Not disagreeing on the point about Tim.
Love Colin LOOOOOVE Colin but for someone that praises Gameplay that constantly says Gamplay is king its always weird when he says 60fps doesn't make a game better or says who cares if a game is 30fps, even in the Podcast he said "Who cares about the PS4Pro cause it doesn't make games better, who cares if it makes games 60fps" Well if it does make some games 60fps then yes they DO play better..
Yes it doesn't change a games mechanics or sound design or level design, the story and I agree games have fundamental problems they should overcome before focusing on better graphics ect. But 60fps does make a game feel and play better and it should be targeted by developers, and its odd hearing him say who cares when alot of the oldschool games he enjoyed were 60fps.

Inuhanyou

Why? Cause you said so?

No reason they couldn't launch in 2018 with something alike or slightly more powerful than Scorpio and called it next gen.

Also to many people got use to last gen calling it a 6 year thing.

Because its common sense. They were not coming out in 2018 because they wanted an iterative unit like Pro is to pass the time, and want to wait to get a strong numbered unit.

Your putting too much pressure on NEO competing with Scorpio in power, that was never the intent of the device.

Inuhanyou

If higher fidelity games are something you're interested in investing in then why not go PC?

Could you not make the same argument to Scorpio as well? Some people care about higher fidelity than is possible right now, but in their own ecosystem.

"I am not interested in what PC has to offer, but i am interested in what an upgraded PS4 can do better."

That is the sentiment for a person interested in this device.

Curufinwe

If you really are confused about why many people prefer consoles to PC gaming there are hundreds of threads on this forum you could read to educate yourself.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Holy shit, Colin is not buying the Pro?!?!?
Man, it must have been REALLY bad. He kept saying before that he doesn't understand it but he will still buy it day one because he's a big fanboy, but now he's not getting it at all??!
Damn.

Vanillalite

Because its common sense. They were not coming out in 2018 because they wanted an iterative unit like Pro is to pass the time, and want to wait to get a strong numbered unit.

Your putting too much pressure on NEO competing with Scorpio in power, that was never the intent of the device.

Then whole idea is there wouldn't BE an iterative unit.

That's the whole fucking point.

Inuhanyou

Then whole idea is there wouldn't BE an iterative unit.

That's the whole fucking point.

NEO was in existence long before Scorpio was thought about. They want to provide options now that their company is leaning more heavily on gaming.

It is not about fighting MS, they generally don't need to at this point. Scorpio won't sell anywhere near enough to change the game, NEO would never have either to begin with, this is why they were more interested in 399 and releasing early.

NEO is just a niche device, and won't sell anywhere near what would be necessary to be a next generation system like your talking about.

Coda

The thing is Colin, Tim and Greg were all giving their opinion on the announcement which is what the business and show does. I don't know why people get upset about someone's opinion. I happen to agree with Colin more than disagree, I believe this was an unnecessary upgrade that does little to inspire the industry.

I've personally been pretty bored with the library of games on the PS4, Bloodborne was the only real exclusive I thoroughly enjoyed thus far in the library of games, there are some more down the line like Gravity Rush 2 and Nier but overall the system has kind of been lackluster for me. So I totally understand Colin's sentiment that we need more quality games and less delays rather than a marginal upgrade in hardware.

Vanillalite

NEO was in existence long before Scorpio was thought about. They want to provide options now that their company is leaning more heavily on gaming.

It is not about fighting MS, they generally don't need to at this point. Scorpio won't sell anywhere near enough to change the game, NEO would never have either to begin with, this is why they were more interested in 399 and releasing early.

NEO is just a niche device, and won't sell anywhere near what would be necessary to be a next generation system like your talking about.

My thoughts are irrespective of Scorpio.

I think the idea was dumb in and of itself.

Just ride out your huge win. Drop that PS4 Slim. Keep pushing on bundles and price. Then in 2018 drop the PS5.

None of that has to do with MS.

Inuhanyou

The thing is Colin, Tim and Greg were all giving their opinion on the announcement which is what the business and show does. I don't know why people get upset about someone's opinion. I happen to agree with Colin more than disagree, I believe this was an unnecessary upgrade that does little to inspire the industry.

I've personally been pretty bored with the library of games on the PS4, Bloodborne was the only real exclusive I thoroughly enjoyed thus far in the library of games, there are some more down the line like Gravity Rush 2 and Nier but overall the system has kind of been lackluster for me. So I totally understand Colin's sentiment that we need more quality games and less delays rather than a marginal upgrade in hardware.

Games aren't affected by hardware. Less games is a product of the AAA game industry imploding and more devs being left on the street or as indie developers. More games don't just come out of nowhere you know

Inuhanyou

My thoughts are irrespective of Scorpio.

I think the idea was dumb in and of itself.

Just ride out your huge win. Drop that PS4 Slim. Keep pushing on bundles and price. Then in 2018 drop the PS5.

None of that has to do with MS.

Hey, i don't disagree with you, so don't get the wrong idea.

I personally would have liked it more, for Sony to just have Xbox One S like upgrade and waited until 2019 when PS5 was ready, instead of complicating the scenery with this kind of half step.

But MS would not have waited with their own iterative concept, and so Sony were going to want to get out ahead of the game regardless.

My arguments are more to do with those people who are disappointed by the unit itself, even though i told everybody over and over for months what the score was, it seems like a lot of people were not even listening, or got themselves hyped up for nothing

It's worth noting I have a fucking 4K TV too, and I still don't get this move.

Making people wait 5, 6, or 7 years for new hardware hurts the industry and makes gaming stale.

They were able to double the power of the system (and storage) for only 100 dollars more. This also helps prepare developers for the next generation, they can just upgrade their tools, get used to 4.2 tflop graphics, then more easily transition to their next hardware.

It makes perfect sense, its just new so we are going through growing pains right now. people were pissed off when the Super Nintendo was announced.

EmiPrime

"Old Sony" wouldn't have cut multimedia features and gone for the cheaper APU option to get the PS4 Pro down to $400. They're doing the same as they did in 2013; a gaming focused device at the maximum price the market has shown it's willing to tolerate.

For those who don't care about the PS4 Pro upgrades or don't want to be up-sold to the tune of $100 there's the PS4 Slim for new owners and existing PS4 owners can hold onto their machine until PS5 comes.

That's all it is. I don't know why some are making it into something it isn't and rolling out the "arrogant Sony" bs.

Curufinwe

Probably not as many as Sony hope.

Just remember that when they sell out at launch, don't read too much into it.

index.png

Curufinwe

Well he was right. You should never use first day success to gauge long term success. With anything. The Wii U was sold out all over for months.

The WiiU didn't sell a million units in its first month in America, or have strong early sales numbers in other parts of the world, so that's a terrible comparison.

Being unable to adjust your initial thinking to the weight of reality is a terrible flaw for an analyst or commentator to have.

The WiiU didn't sell a million units in its first month in America, or have strong early sales numbers in other parts of the world, so that's a terrible comparison.

Being unable to adjust your initial thinking to the weight of reality is a terrible flaw for an analyst or commentator to have.

Going by the argument you were making (it's dumb to not judge a console's long term success by its initial sellout), it's actually a completely valid comparison.

I mean, this is literally what you lead with:

Just remember that when they sell out at launch, don't read too much into it.

Going by this argument, a console like Wii U is a fair comparison. Now, if you want to talk about the level of launch success, sure, it may not be a valid point.

Top Bottom