• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Holy shit, Colin is not buying the Pro?!?!?
Man, it must have been REALLY bad. He kept saying before that he doesn't understand it but he will still buy it day one because he's a big fanboy, but now he's not getting it at all??!
Damn.

I'll preface this by saying I love Kinda Funny and watch every video.

Both Colin and Greg will get a PS4 Pro. As much as they are hating on it initially, they will both cave. Greg first.

I'll preface this by saying I love Kinda Funny and watch every video.

Both Colin and Greg will get a PS4 Pro. As much as they are hating on it initially, they will both cave. Greg first.

Colin and Gred are huge influencers, Sony are going to send them Pros whether they request them or not.

Curufinwe

Going by the argument you were making (it's dumb to not judge a console's long term success by its initial sellout), it's actually a completely valid comparison..

Yeah it makes total sense to compare the new PS4 to the WiiU rather than comparing it to the original PS4.

The mental gymnastics will only get worse after the Pro's launch. We've seen the tortured explanations the likes of Orland and Polygon had to come up with when their dire predictions for the PS4 turned out to be laughably inaccurate.

Yeah it makes total sense to compare the new PS4 to the WiiU rather than comparing it to the original PS4.

The mental gymnastics will only get worse after the Pro's launch. We've seen the tortured explanations the likes of Orland and Polygon had to come up with when their dire predictions for the PS4 turned out to be laughably inaccurate.

Dude, Polygon makes these kinds of weird predictions with pretty much everything, not just PlayStation.

wapplew

I thought the whole presentation and implementation of PS4 pro is as none intrusive as it can be. A little too care about early adopter feeling imo.
The event is super low key, they even make my old PS4 HDR ready. They don't try to sell it by telling me how outdated my old hardware are.
If any early adopter think they don't need to upgrade after the presentation, I'd say job well done.

pastrami

Tim is clueless.

He really thinks the pro and the one s are the same thing?

How many gaming journalists can even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? It's no surprise that these guys don't see the point in a console that can support higher resolution rendering (not just output like the Xbox One S).

orochi91

If you believe in paying $400 on top of what you paid for your og PS4 to play two games at a higher fidelity then you're an outlier.
Sell your OG PS4 and use that to fund the Pro purchase.

Consumers aren't idiots, many will trade-in their current consoles for the Pro/Scorpio.

There are many more great games than those two as well, don't be disingenuous.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't get the Tim hate. I thought he was pretty on point, I just sorta disagree with the last thing he said. I think PS5's announcement would have more of a bang if the PS4 Pro stuff didn't happen.

Except we dont even know what the PS5 is lol.

mckmas8808

Why? Cause you said so?

No reason they couldn't launch in 2018 with something alike or slightly more powerful than Scorpio and called it next gen.

Also to many people got use to last gen calling it a 6 year thing.

Are you sure 32 GBs of HSA memory stacking RAM and a 10 Teraflop GPU will be available in 2018?

Zee-Row

Banned
Also there is no way in hell a PS5 is getting announced next year. We will be lucky if the Scorpio releases at a $399 price point with its tech. If Sony announces hardware way beyond what the Scorpio can do it will probably be $600 territory and there's no chance in hell Sony is going to sell consoles at a loss again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are you sure 32 GBs of HSA memory stacking RAM and a 10 Teraflop GPU will be available in 2018?

Who says it needs to be that big of a jump? You'd be jumping from the original specs not the Neo specs. So going to something more like 7-8 TF would be a considerable power jump.

I think 32 gigs of VRAM is going overboard even if it was available. You could still have HBM2 by then.

Plus it would be the PS5 so you wouldn't necessarily be handicapped like the Neo.

mckmas8808

Tim is clueless.

He really thinks the pro and the one s are the same thing?

Greg thinks the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S are the same thing also. He has no clue that one is like 1.4 Teraflops and the other is 4.2 Teraflops.

bryanee

Greg thinks the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S are the same thing also. He has no clue that one is like 1.4 Teraflops and the other is 4.2 Teraflops.

Really? Jesus, maybe they should research a little. All this info was on gaf not long after the meeting ended.

mckmas8808

Who says it needs to be that big of a jump? You'd be jumping from the original specs not the Neo specs. So going to something more like 7-8 TF would be a considerable power jump.

I think 32 gigs of VRAM is going overboard even if it was available. You could still have HBM2 by then.

Plus it would be the PS5 so you wouldn't necessarily be handicapped like the Neo.

Alot of people thought 8 GBs of GDDR RAM was overkill, considering that the PS3 had only 512 MBs of RAM.

All console upgrades are 8x to 16x more powerful. A 7 TF PS5 aint going to cut it.

Man, Colin is so annoying. If people want a system that can offer better graphics and 60fps for their games, why not? if people want to stick with their regular ps4 they have that option.

Because the technology for a true generational leap is still years away, and Sony saw the negative effects of having hardware go a long time without being upgraded last gen. Interest waned in the PS3/360/Wii so much towards the tail end of the generation that media kept questioning whether people wanted new consoles at all. But they did. They wanted new hardware at a reasonable price, and when Sony gave it to them they lapped it up with a spoon.

This is basic, basic stuff.

Old Sony overpriced their hardware. Colin settled on his anti-Neo stance a long time ago and will say any shit he can think of to try and justify it. But it's not even slightly convincing, and these things are going to fly off the shelf at $399.

That's what's irritating me about his points, he keeps talking about the console like it's something offensive, just don't buy it, it's not taking away games from the PS4, it's not forcing you to upgrade.

This is how I feel about the Pro and Colin's stance on the whole thing. The Pro's role in the ecosystem is such a no brainer to me and has been since the GB leak. I think I might skip the reaction episode.

Bolivar687

Banned
They were expecting Sony to nail the messaging because neither of them could figure it out and assumed that Sony has much smarter people than us working in their marketing department coming up with a pitch.

That turned out to be false. This is usually hyperbole but I actually think there are plenty of people on GAF who know enough about PC hardware and console sensibilities that could have come up with a far better pitch.

Sony is stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to sell it as a powerful upgrade while placating their current users by claiming it's not an excessively powerful upgrade.

RPGam3r

Man, Colin is so annoying. If people want a system that can offer better graphics and 60fps for their games, why not? if people want to stick with their regular ps4 they have that option.

Exactly I want my relatively cheap upgrade that works out of the box with no hassle.

Boke1879

Yea. I like Colin and appreciate his voice in this industry, but he made up his mind about Neo the minute is was announced. He was negative on it.

Now he's saying things to reinforce that. Like many here stated. No one who doesn't want this doesn't have to buy it. It's not taking anything away from people who want the Slim or want to keep their current PS4.

If people want a bit more power and some slightly better looking games. Let them. Like this shit is priced perfectly and it's coming out at a great time of year. Of course the Slim will sell more, but Pro being $400 isn't going to be a slouch either. Especially when it's bundled with games like COD, and I can only imagine the BF deals the Pro and the Slim will have.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The wild card unknown is how much time money and energy did Sony have to put into the creation of this thing that could have in theory been spent elsewhere.

Nor do we know how this effects the PS5 in terms of what the PS5 would have been without the Neo and what the PS5 will be with the Neo.

Nobody on either side actually knows that answer though.

Coda

I think people are missing Colin's main point. This stop gap measure was not necessary and it seems that most people agree that this conference did nothing to help Sony. No one came away from it wanting the Pro console because of what they showed or that it did anything interesting, instead people will just upgrade because they want to have the latest/greatest. Now, did Sony need to make a whole conference for something like this, definitely not, but either way it will exist for the people that want it. I think I'll pass personally because most triple AAA titles don't interest me.

Boke1879

They were expecting Sony to nail the messaging because neither of them could figure it out and assumed that Sony has much smarter people than us working in their marketing department coming up with a pitch.

That turned out to be false. This is usually hyperbole but I actually think there are plenty of people on GAF who know enough about PC hardware and console sensibilities that could have come up with a far better pitch.

Sony is stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to sell it as a powerful upgrade while placating their current users by claiming it's not an excessively powerful upgrade.

The event itself may not have been a slam dunk, but the price and that fact that this releases before Black Friday will do them wonders I think.

Banned
Because the technology for a true generational leap is still years away, and Sony saw the negative effects of having hardware go a long time without being upgraded last gen. Interest waned in the PS3/360/Wii so much towards the tail end of the generation that media kept questioning whether people wanted new consoles at all. But they did. They wanted new hardware at a reasonable price, and when Sony gave it to them they lapped it up with a spoon.

This is basic, basic stuff.

Old Sony overpriced their hardware. Colin settled on his anti-Neo stance a long time ago and will say any shit he can think of to try and justify it. But it's not even slightly convincing, and these things are going to fly off the shelf at $399.
No they won't.

The casual fans are gonna lap up the cheaper $299 slim and don't even know wtf 4K is.

The hardcore fans already are pissing on the Pro and outside of the enthusiast fans I don't see this thing flying off shelves.

AmuroChan

It was really interesting watching the Apple and Sony events back to back. Apple has mastered the art of making people feel that iterative hardware updates is a necessity. The iPhone 7 offers minimal upgrades over its predecessor and the crowd goes wild for it. Sony has pointed to Apple's model as what they're striving for, but they've got a lot of work to do if they ever want to get to that level. I hope today was a good learning experience for them.

Boke1879

I think people are missing Colin's main point. This stop gap measure was not necessary and it seems that most people agree that this conference did nothing to help Sony. No one came away from it wanting the Pro console because of what they showed or that it did anything interesting, instead people will just upgrade because they want to have the latest/greatest. Now, did Sony need to make a whole conference for something like this, definitely not, but either way it will exist for the people that want it. I think I'll pass personally because most triple AAA titles don't interest me.

I mean clearly we won't know how much this sells for a few more months, but I think there is an audience for it. People are clearly preordering it. Also it's available at a very good price. It's literally the most inoffensive thing ever.

Don't want it don't buy it. There would be a legit point if this thing got exclusives and left older PS4 players behind.

I am curious to see what Colin and the gaming media think of Scorpio when it's showcased. Considering it's doing the same thing Sony is.

Boke1879

No they won't.

The casual fans are gonna lap up the cheaper $299 slim and don't even know wtf 4K is.

The hardcore fans already are pissing on the Pro and outside of the enthusiast fans I don't see this thing flying off shelves.

Yet people are preordering this. GAF isn't indicative of shit. Sure the slim will sell more. It's cheaper, but the Pro isn't that much more expensive. It'll sell especially when it's bundled.

and you said it yourself. People don't even know what 4k is so why is that being used as some big selling point? Especially for the One S?

dEvAnGeL

im actually surprised that people still listens to colin's dumb theories, i see him as the younger version of michael pachter, taking nonsense for the hell of it

Banned
i5 CPU - $200
Cooler - $25
GTX 1060 - $250
Motherboard - $90
16 GB of RAM - $75
1TB HDD $50
SSD - $40
ITX Case - $60
Power Supply - $80
Monitor $120
keyboard $40
Windows 10 $70

Where did I goof?
That is fucking solid. Well done. I hear the 1060 even does well at 1440p. Great card.

Mezoly

I just hope PS4 Pro doesn't prelong the life of this generation. I was hoping this gen would last 5 years and get a new gen in 2018. But now I just don't see Sony releasing a new hardware two years after the pro.

The news I got from today is that my next TV purchase need to be 4k HDR.

Boke1879

I just hope PS4 Pro doesn't prelong the life of this generation. I was hoping this gen would last 5 years and get a new gen in 2018. But now I just don't see Sony releasing a new hardware two years after the pro.

The news I got from today is that my next TV purchase need to be 4k HDR.

You'll probably still get a PS5 in 2018 or 2019

Coda

I mean clearly we won't know how much this sells for a few more months, but I think there is an audience for it. People are clearly preordering it. Also it's available at a very good price. It's literally the most inoffensive thing ever.

Don't want it don't buy it. There would be a legit point if this thing got exclusives and left older PS4 players behind.

I am curious to see what Colin and the gaming media think of Scorpio when it's showcased. Considering it's doing the same thing Sony is.

For sure, what I'm saying is that their show is about opinions and discussions and that's what Colin does best IMO. He's very passionate about games and is very old school in terms of what he likes. He values gameplay and mechanically difficult games over anything else and I respect that because I have similar values in gaming, values I keep seeing less and less of in this era of gaming.

Colin is actually interested in the Scorpio and commended that Microsoft admitted their wrong doings. Also the Scorpio is reported to be much more powerful than the PS4 Pro so it can't really be considered in the same gen/league. PS4 Pro is more comparable to an Xbox One S, probably a bit more powerful but not a ton more.

Boke1879

For sure, what I'm saying is that their show is about opinions and discussions and that's what Colin does best IMO. He's very passionate about games and is very old school in terms of what he likes. He values gameplay and mechanically difficult games over anything else and I respect that because I have similar values in gaming, values I keep seeing less and less of in this era of gaming.

Colin is actually interested in the Scorpio and commended that Microsoft admitted their wrong doings. Also the Scorpio is reported to be much more powerful than the PS4 Pro so it can't really be considered in the same gen/league. PS4 Pro is more comparable to an Xbox One S, probably a bit more powerful but not a ton more.

But that's not a fair assumption at all. Colin IMO can't say Scorpio is in a new gen just because it has higher specs. It's literally doing the same thing Sony is.

And actually it's doing something Colin didn't want Sony to do with Neo. All games have to run on all Xboxes. How much better are the games really going to look on Scorpio?

Moneal

The thing is Colin, Tim and Greg were all giving their opinion on the announcement which is what the business and show does. I don't know why people get upset about someone's opinion. I happen to agree with Colin more than disagree, I believe this was an unnecessary upgrade that does little to inspire the industry.

I've personally been pretty bored with the library of games on the PS4, Bloodborne was the only real exclusive I thoroughly enjoyed thus far in the library of games, there are some more down the line like Gravity Rush 2 and Nier but overall the system has kind of been lackluster for me. So I totally understand Colin's sentiment that we need more quality games and less delays rather than a marginal upgrade in hardware.

Tim and Colin were comparing it with the Xbox 1 s the entire show. basically saying it was the same thing. even saying the upgrade in power the xbox 1s got(10%) was similar to power upgrade in the pro(200%). They sounded like they didn't know what they were talking about. Then Colin went on his rant about games not being different from last gen, which has nothing to do with the consoles.

Coda

But that's not a fair assumption at all. Colin IMO can't say Scorpio is in a new gen just because it has higher specs. It's literally doing the same thing Sony is.

And actually it's doing something Colin didn't want Sony to do with Neo. All games have to run on all Xboxes. How much better are the games really going to look on Scorpio?

Pretty sure Scorpio will be a new console so Scorpio games will only run on Scorpio but it can also play Xbox One titles so no it's not quite what you're saying it is.

De_Legend

Banned
Tim and Colin were comparing it with the Xbox 1 s the entire show. basically saying it was the same thing. even saying the upgrade in power the xbox 1s got(10%) was similar to power upgrade in the pro(200%). They sounded like they didn't know what they were talking about. Then Colin went on his rant about games not being different from last gen, which has nothing to do with the consoles.

Exactly.

Boke1879

Even going by the leaked documents we got MONTHS ago shows they aren't similar in power lol

Boke1879

Pretty sure Scorpio will be a new console so Scorpio games will only run on Scorpio but it can also play Xbox One titles so no it's not quite what you're saying it is.

No they literally said Scorpio won't have exclusives. All games will be playable on each system. XB1, One S and Scorpio. That's what they said at E3 unless they went back on that.

What? That's the exact opposite of what Ms said. Scorpio will not have any exclusive games. It's literally ps4 pro but a year later and more of a spec bump

Top Bottom