• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

sajj316

Collin, your argument was very weak and made no sense. Not up to the hardware maker to innovate on games. Sure the hardware maker can provide new hardware innovations to bring new game play experiences but we all knew going into the conference that Sony wasn't trying to be Nintendo. We even knew the specs.

What is being lost in this announcement is the hardware improvements with Pro. It's more powerful than PS4 which is more powerful than Xbox One S. I thought the message was clear that it was a current generation hardware improvement.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Not sure how anyone takes Colin seriously anymore. Every since his PSVR rant after 2015 E3 (where the PSVR was "Sent to die" and was "Probably being abandoned by Sony" because it didn't have a ton of stage time at E3 Although 70% of their floor space was PSVR) his opinions have become irrelevant to me. I was shocked because he is an educated guy and I didn't expect him to say something that was so uneducated about the industry he has had such a presence in.

I have heard him bitch about Sony's lack of exclusives, then minutes later say how excited he was to play The Tomorrow Children. Then Today he went on his rant about how Power doesn't make games better blah blah, then said that the WiiU didn't have enough power. I can't even make that up.

Greg Miller is the celebrity in this group and I honestly think Colin is doing whatever he can to stay relevant. Has been doing it over the last 18 months.
This post is glorious.

I wonder how it must feel to read this if you're Colin and then try to come up with rationale in your head why this is all consistent. :p

To me this crew is basically one thing: A way to get an interview with Shuhei, because for some bizarre reason he listens to their podcast.

Audioboxer

As always sales figures tell the real story and it's easy being an "industry analyst" prior to stats when there is nothing to prove or disprove you. Colin can say what he wants and in 6 months he can either say I told you so, or eat a little crow. That's how it works!

There won't be platform exclusives because it isn't needed, there's nothing game wise the Scorpio can do that the XBO can't, there are obviously areas where there could be limitations but not so much when it comes to graphics/frame rate, AI/NPCs on screen could be an issue but it's more stuff like that than standard eye candy. Stuff will just be scalable like it already has been for decades on PC.

Just increases in hardware performance creating brand new experiences in terms of truly new types of gameplay on a TV/monitor has pretty much been over or a long time and been about refining those experiences since. The next line of innovation will probably come from VR's maturation.

Gaius

Banned
Not sure how anyone takes Colin seriously anymore. Every since his PSVR rant after 2015 E3 (where the PSVR was "Sent to die" and was "Probably being abandoned by Sony" because it didn't have a ton of stage time at E3 Although 70% of their floor space was PSVR) his opinions have become irrelevant to me. I was shocked because he is an educated guy and I didn't expect him to say something that was so uneducated about the industry he has had such a presence in.

I have heard him bitch about Sony's lack of exclusives, then minutes later say how excited he was to play The Tomorrow Children. Then Today he went on his rant about how Power doesn't make games better blah blah, then said that the WiiU didn't have enough power. I can't even make that up.

Greg Miller is the celebrity in this group and I honestly think Colin is doing whatever he can to stay relevant. Has been doing it over the last 18 months.

Colin is such a try-hard, doesn't seem like he's feeling confident in his own skin.
Also i'm surprised they didn't receive a media pass for the event, maybe that's what's adding to their negativity.

pelican

Unfortunately I listened to this drivel this morning.

CM certainty likes to rant. A rant based upon unsubstantiated generalisations. The quality of the discussion is poor, and ill informed.

Awful.

Morts

Sounds like I might skip this episode.

Though I wonder how Greg and Colin would feel if they actually went to the event. It seems like people who saw games on the HDR monitors there were generally positive on the Pro whereas those who watched the stream weren't.

AmuroChan

Colin is such a try-hard, doesn't seem like he's feeling confident in his own skin.
Also i'm surprised they didn't receive a media pass for the event, maybe that's what's adding to their negativity.

They did. They just chose not to go to the event.

Zukkoyaki

They were invited but just didn't want to go to NYC for it

As for the episode: I agree mostly with Colin that the Pro doesn't seem like enough of an improvement to warrant its existence. Though I haven't seen in-person comparisons. Watching on the stream made everything seem like there was literally no difference.

pelican

I can't stand Colin. He really comes off as the guy that ruins everyone's party with his depression and hate.

I think both of them believe their own hype a bit too much.

I suspect kids like them. Impressed by their projection of being friends with developers members and insiders of the overall encompassing games industry.

Name dropping impresses no one. BTW - Have I mentioned I've met Tarantino.

This thing is $399

Yep, RX 480s alone (the equivalent PC graphics card in the NEO) are going for 280$ with 8gb of Ram. And that doesn't include case, PSU, CPU ETC.

And while you can say the meeting was bad, that doesn't mean the PS4+ is a bad idea. As a PC Gamer it doesn't interest me as I have that for fidelity but I see why they did it and it won't affect me as a OG PS4 owner so I really don't care. Giving people options is always nice.

Not to be rude, but, if you don't think the PS+ has substantially more power, you are objectively wrong. It has 200% more power. That is substantial. (Digital Foundry talks about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275456)

And I don't get Colin. He's clearly doesn't give a crap about hardware (with his anti-PC stance being clear in this) and therefore the PS4+ was never interesting to him and won't in the future. So it doesn't really affect him what so ever. Also, I think they built up in their hands way too much what was going to be at this particular meeting.

And basically with his anti power stance he should just go back to playing SNES games full time as that argument is getting old. (Especially confusing since he is praising the Scorpio).

Dude just stated his opinion in a harsh but not unfair way, what the hell are you even talking about

Yeah idk why people are so upset. Some people legitimately seem offended by their opinions and points which seemed fair to me. I can't help but agree with some of the points he put out on the table.

But no, it's easier to call people try-hards and depressed when their opinions differ from their own, without even putting their case against them :)

I invite one line posters that only showed up to call names to actually be VOCAL about why they disagree, instead of just saying "MEEEEH THEY ARE DUMB".

Curufinwe

He's the Skip Bayless of videogame coverage.

Gaius

Banned
They did. They just chose not to go to the event.

They were invited but just didn't want to go to NYC for it

Oh wow, that's really telling of their journalistic passion. Why would you go to an event where 4k will be the main focus, if you can stream like everyone else and not see the difference eh?

It seems like they just want to chat and not have a real experience based discussion, which would benefit their viewers much more. Unless they consider themselves performance artists.

El_Cinefilo

I think that's a little harsh, what's wrong with thinking Sony have a lack of exclusives (Which with the delays of Gran Turismo and Horizon they certainly do this year) and still being excited for one of the few they do have?

Also with the power thing, I think the point he was making is that it doesn't really matter which is the more powerful console, as long as the console has enough power to be able to compete with the market to get the games released on it. I thought that was obvious.

AmuroChan

As for the episode: I agree mostly with Colin that the Pro doesn't seem like enough of an improvement to warrant its existence. Though I haven't seen in-person comparisons. Watching on the stream made everything seem like there was literally no difference.

I think that narrow-minded thinking is what's frustrating some people. Why is giving people an option bad? The standard PS4 still exists and it's now $50 cheaper. If he doesn't think it's worth upgrading to the Pro, then don't. That's perfectly fine, but why say it shouldn't exist and criticize people from wanting this system?

hupla

I think both of them believe their own hype a bit too much.

I suspect kids like them. Impressed by their projection of being friends with developers members and insiders of the overall encompassing games industry.

Name dropping impresses no one. BTW - Have I mentioned I've met Tarantino.
Lmao come on

Oh wow, that's really telling of their journalistic passion. Why would you go to an event where 4k will be the main focus, if you can stream like everyone else and not see the difference eh?

It seems like they just want to chat and not have a real experience based discussion, which would benefit their viewers much more. Unless they consider themselves performance artists.

But they aren't journalists? They quit IGN because they wanted to put that behind them. They have an audience and the choice was made in order to have a livestream for PSILY. Either you are new To Kinda Funny or idk what you are trying say?

AmuroChan

They're good at many things, but technical knowledge is certainly not their forte. They probably don't even know that a Twitch stream is not representative of what 4K HDR looks like in person.

phanphare

Banned
I think that narrow-minded thinking is what's frustrating some people. Why is giving people an option bad? The standard PS4 still exists and it's now $50 cheaper. If he doesn't think it's worth upgrading to the Pro, then don't. That's perfectly fine, but why say it shouldn't exist and criticize people from wanting this system?

because that's their job? to express their opinions on the goings on of the game industry?

some of yall need to chill, it's just a dude's opinion

Zukkoyaki

It isn't bad at all it just comes off as time and resources that could have been used elsewhere. Options are always good! But like I said, how I watched the stream may not have given the differences justice. Based on media impressions, that does seem to be the case.

pelican

But they aren't journalists? They quit IGN because they wanted to put that behind them. They have an audience and the choice was made in order to have a livestream for PSILY. Either you are new To Kinda Funny or idk what you are trying say?

I'd argue that working for IGN doesn't constitute being a journalist either.

;)

El_Cinefilo

I think the PS4 pro as an option is fine (apart from the lack of 4k Blu ray playback) but the event and announcement of the new PS4 has been hyped up enough and given enough importance (possible more so with the announcement of Scorpio) that people expected more. as they said in the reaction show this could have just been a press release.

Meh, I don't agree with Colin on Pro, particularly when he says "no one wants this". But, he seemed to just be venting over a boring conference that didn't show off Pro well. And it was, it was just boring, especially after coming from Apple's entertaining conference.

Apple and Sony make up about 90% of the tech in my house, I couldn't be more of a fan of both, but it was just difficult to really show off PS4Pro over streams and I think going back and getting games to run at higher frames would have been more appealing to enthusiasts. Also 4K Blu-Ray seems to be the big negative despite me not really buying movies anymore in any type of physical form, but still it's the highest quality option, and it's a nice bullet point, should have just raised the price IMO to cover the costs. Would more fans complain about a $450 Pro with a drive over a $400 without one?

Still, I honestly think both the slim and the Pro are going to sell well. I fell like this doesn't make PS4 look outdated at all, and they both sit alongside each other pretty nicely. The negatives seem to be "this isn't enough".

- not enough power
- not enough features
- not enough of a big deal

I think Sony's counter to that is "yea, that's the point". PS4 pro is here so in 2018 & 2019 people aren't dying to get rid of their console or looking at PC games and feeling soooo outdated with what they're playing. This is the thing that allows PS4 to get tapped out to the max. This is the direction to make you keeping a PS4 from launch until 2018 more feasible. The price point makes it very very appealing for anyone to upgrade to, or for new owners getting nicer TV's.

AmuroChan

because that's their job? to express their opinions on the goings on of the game industry?

I don't have any issues with their opinions, but I can understand why some people may take it as overly negative.

Gaius

Banned

Well i still considered them as journalists, and i seriously doubt that they left IGN just because they didn't like being ones. In their shoes, i'd just leave IGN if i'd known i have the draw to get my own audience independent of other media company. It's what everyone should strive for, be his own boss, so i congratulate them for that.

And if they stopped being jounalists just because they don't have official payroll labeled as that, then i have no problem with them being performance artists, as i've stated before.

They're good at many things, but technical knowledge is certainly not their forte. They probably don't even know that a Twitch stream is not representative of what 4K HDR looks like in person.

There is no excuse for this. It's not like researching gaming industry from all sides is equivalent of rocket science and engineering. Especially when that's your job, and not unlike ours - just a hobby in our spare time.

After having thought about this overnight, here are my thoughts on this whole ordeal.

Colin put it this way yesterday: "It's an unforced error on Sony's part." I have to disagree. I feel like this was a forced error.

Nintendo lost... HUGE this gen and scrapped their console to reboot it next year. They needed to do this to stay competitive, to keep their relevance in the gaming industry and probably just to survive without going third party like Sega.

Microsoft also lost. Not financially, since the XBO is selling better than the 360 during this same time period. But when compared to the PS4, they tanked worldwide and are behind by a large margin in their own territory—one the X360 dominated last gen. They needed a refresh, something to generate more interest in their platform. Hence... the Scorpio. To reboot this gen next year was their only real way to compete against Sony.

So, Nintendo and MS felt they had to do this. And they probably had this in mind early on when they saw Sony's sales take off. More time to prepare. More time to develop revisions, whereas Sony probably were more focused on VR to even consider a console upgrade.

I think the PS4 Pro was haphazardly thrown together after they got wind of MS's plans. Probably from developers who were now working with Scorpio specs. Also, this is new ground for all companies involved, switching from the generation model to the smartphone model with slight upgrades every few years. Things are going to be odd for everyone involved, especially the consumers. Where is the sweet spot? Doing a minor revision like the iPhone 5S/PS4 Pro or a major revision like the iPhone 6+/Scorpio? Where will people spend their money? Where will the demand be? How will software companies deal with multiple SKUs? Will indies be able to handle it? How will forward/backward compatibility work? Will there be Scorpio exclusives and will that anger fans (we know at least VR will be exclusive)?

For me, I initially hated this when the leaks first began, but after seeing the PS4 Pro reveal... I realize that I just don't care. The Pro/Scorpio is not for me. I am not a graphics connoisseur. I don't have a 4K TV. As long as I can play everything the Pro can play, I can stay a casual. And if MS/Nintendo/Sony are moving towards a platform/smartphone model and leaving the generation model behind... that's actually a good thing. If ALL games become forward compatible (I'm not sure I'm using this correctly), where all PS4 games will be playable on ALL Sony systems going forward, that I can keep my catalogue like I can with my iPhone... that is awesome. And allowing the customers to upgrade when they want to, when games start arriving that can't be played on your old system, that is actually a better system. I think.

Maybe.

In conclusion, I think Sony was actually forced into this. Whether it's an error or not, we'll see this holiday season and next.

Colin, and Greg I think, is stating an opinion that visuals do not automatically make games great. I share that opinion. I am not a graphics-consumer. While I do enjoy nice graphics, I am perfectly happy playing a game that is fun and may not be 1080p or run at a solid 30fps. I just don't notice it and never does it impact my decision to purchase or pass on a game.

So why does 4k and the Pro make a difference to Colin if he doesn't care about graphics and won't buy one and all playstation 4 games are still coming to the original? I think it's because, from his friends and collegues in the development world, he understands this is an "unessesary" burdeon on developers who already cannot figure out ways to create functional games. They are constantly being delayed and releasing broken games when they were just working on the regular PS4, and now they may have to deal with multiple versions of a game for a single console?

Colin's point, I think, is Sony should have told developers to hold steady and work on pumping out quality games for the PS4. Don't worry about new modes, new consoles, and multiple approvals for each version of your game. Worry about 4k when the majority, or lets say half, of consumers have or are close to buying a 4k tv, then do it right with the PS5.

You might say, well, it's not that much work, just develop on PC and scale down to each console. But Colin is coming from a position where he has spoken to a developer or two that says it's going to be a lot more work, so obviously, he's going to incorporate those opinions into his own beliefs that this Pro is more of a hassle than it's worth.

Gaius

Banned
In conclusion, I think Sony was actually forced into this. Whether it's an error or not, we'll see this holiday season and next.

Interesting perspective, because yesterday i and a friend of mine reached completely different conclusion. It's logical to assume that one of the two forced others hand.And i really don't think that both companies decided upon awakening one day to just have a mid-gen refresh.

Judging by the release window and the time at which Neo and Scorpio were announced, i think it was Sony who has forced MS hand. There is no way Sony could slap an almost-Scorpio one year in advance with $399 price tag as a direct counterattack and have a similarly designed PS4 slim as well.

Presentation was low key because absolutely everything was leaked and they had nothing to surprise with. All event was just an unexciting formality by then.

Mokubba

Really? Jesus, maybe they should research a little. All this info was on gaf not long after the meeting ended.

Tim and Colin were comparing it with the Xbox 1 s the entire show. basically saying it was the same thing. even saying the upgrade in power the xbox 1s got(10%) was similar to power upgrade in the pro(200%). They sounded like they didn't know what they were talking about. Then Colin went on his rant about games not being different from last gen, which has nothing to do with the consoles.

This,

I understand having an opinion but please get the facts right.

Curufinwe

I think the PS4 Pro was haphazardly thrown together after they got wind of MS's plans. Probably from developers who were now working with Scorpio specs.

This is hopelessly inaccurate. The PS4 Neo was being worked on and talked about with developers long before there was anything out there about Scorpio.

You're inventing fiction to try and justify an opinion that can't be justified by reality.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...o-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around

House, however, pointed to the PlayStation 4’s market dominance and denied that Pro was in any way a response to Microsoft’s Project Scorpio project. “When Playstation 4 Pro was being conceived there wasn’t a word about Project Scorpio in the marketplace. I would suggest that ‘reactive’ isn’t our approach this time around,” he said.

I think that's a little harsh, what's wrong with thinking Sony have a lack of exclusives (Which with the delays of Gran Turismo and Horizon they certainly do this year) and still being excited for one of the few they do have?

Also with the power thing, I think the point he was making is that it doesn't really matter which is the more powerful console, as long as the console has enough power to be able to compete with the market to get the games released on it. I thought that was obvious.
Yea people are being hyperbolic as fuck in here. Colin is generally right about exclusives (compared to PS3 guys cmon). There hasn't been a lot of standout new IP exclusives.

The only thing I can think of is Bloodborne in terms of highly rated new exclusives, otherwise ofc we have Ratchet and U4 but those aren't new IP's.

Horizon is coming tho and hopefully TGS will give us something good.

Luke_Wal

I'm a huge, longtime, major fan of Kinda Funny, and Greg and Colin in particular, but their idea of "this has no impact on the way that I play games and I won't even buy one" is insane. It DOES make VR more immersive, and even on 1080 displays, the frame rates and fidelity will be improved. I certainly understand Colin's stance that "this is strictly a graphics bump, and that has no impact on the quality of the games," but by that logic, his excitement over the PS4 at launch doesn't make sense, either.

Yea people are being hyperbolic as fuck in here. Colin is generally right about exclusives (compared to PS3 guys cmon). There hasn't been a lot of standout new IP exclusives.

The only thing I can think of is Bloodborne in terms of highly rated new exclusives, otherwise ofc we have Ratchet and U4 but those aren't new IP's.

Horizon is coming tho and hopefully TGS will give us something good.

That is the mind boggling thing about PS4. It is so much easier to develop for than PS3, but yet the game output has been much lower.

Then again, Sony is in a different place as a company so maybe that has something to do with it?

Didn't they get sent a PS4 anniversary edition from Sony? I'll just patiently wait till they get sent a Pro and for the other one to fold after seeing it in action.

Moneal

Its not about opinions, its about their total lack of knowledge. Or just being misleading on purpose. i'll reiterate what i said in another post. Tim and Colin were comparing the pro with the Xbox 1 s the entire show. basically saying it was the same thing. even saying the upgrade in power the xbox 1s got(10%) was similar to power upgrade in the pro(200%). They sounded like they didn't know what they were talking about. Then Colin went on his rant about games not being different from last gen, which has nothing to do with the consoles.

He also likes what MS is doing with scorpio, even though its exactly the same thing.

Aces&Eights

I think better performance and visuals DO make a better game. Of course gameplay is key, but that is up to the developer to do, not the system. I love Demons Souls. Didn't look the greatest and had some rough performance spots. If I could play that in 4k, with a solid frame rate, enhanced sky boxes, colors, better detailed armor I would be over the moon. The gameplay would not have changed one iota but having all the extras would indeed make the experience that much better for me.

#Colliniswrong.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm a huge, longtime, major fan of Kinda Funny, and Greg and Colin in particular, but their idea of "this has no impact on the way that I play games and I won't even buy one" is insane. It DOES make VR more immersive, and even on 1080 displays, the frame rates and fidelity will be improved. I certainly understand Colin's stance that "this is strictly a graphics bump, and that has no impact on the quality of the games," but by that logic, his excitement over the PS4 at launch doesn't make sense, either.

Yep. He hurt his argument if anything "looks like shit" in his opinion or when a new console comes out now, since by his viewpoint they shouldn't have to, and doesn't change gameplay in any significant way.

I think the other problem for me is that he dominates any conversation he's part of, and speaks the most, so any time the Pro is brought up now, it's just going to be negativity. It's fine not to like something, but to be negative towards it 100% without an open mind is not always fun to listen to.

Oni3298

Its not about opinions, its about their total lack of knowledge. Or just being misleading on purpose. i'll reiterate what i said in another post. Tim and Colin were comparing the pro with the Xbox 1 s the entire show. basically saying it was the same thing. even saying the upgrade in power the xbox 1s got(10%) was similar to power upgrade in the pro(200%). They sounded like they didn't know what they were talking about. Then Colin went on his rant about games not being different from last gen, which has nothing to do with the consoles.

He also likes what MS is doing with scorpio, even though its exactly the same thing.

They were definitely comparing the two, but correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I missed it, I don't recall them ever mentioning that the power upgrades of the two were comparable.

Also, I think what they were referring to regarding what they liked about the Xbox One S is the fact its replacing the original XBO with something cheaper and better, rather than offering another SKU that sits alongside it.

That is the mind boggling thing about PS4. It is so much easier to develop for than PS3, but yet the game output has been much lower.

Then again, Sony is in a different place as a company so maybe that has something to do with it?
Is this factual? It doesn't feel like it.

Feels like Indy has replaced mid-tier development and we are actually getting a lot of software. If you are just talking about Sony's studios they have been taking there time. But with DriveClub having to be patched so much after launch, I think it's safer to delay and release quality software.

Regardless even with GTS delay, WWS are putting out some things this year, and Horizon early next.

gbland

If you guys know who the KF people are, they are not big on specs and power. They really focus on just games. They could honestly care less about graphics if the game is playable. The even make fun of PC gamers (long running joke) Of course they're going to react negatively about a conference they voluntarily did not go to and try to watch via stream. I feel like you had to be there to see the difference of the PS4Pro. They also built up this hype about games being there which wasn't the highlight of the conference at all.

That being said, they're probably not the right people to listen to if you want to know more about technical prowess.

I'm assuming that you're a PlayStation fan, it should be obvious why he criticized Sony and PS VR the way he did.

Sony has a shitty history of releasing tech and just abandoning it, which is something Colin explains on why he bashed on the idea of Sony releasing a VR unit.

And lately Colin has shown nothing but excitement for PSVR because Sony has shown that they're fully committed to support PSVR after launch instead of just abandoning the hardware.

Colin should be known already for his harsh criticisms and bluntness, not many people can stand people like him because they're used to being coddled by personalities that are afraid of disagreeing with their fan base. He's a good person and has not been afraid to eat crow before.

I'd argue that working for IGN doesn't constitute being a journalist either.

;)

One of Colin's best works.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/10/04/rising-to-greatness-the-history-of-naughty-dog

EmiPrime

This,

I understand having an opinion but please get the facts right.

Their credibility is going to go down the toilet if they continue like this. We've had the PS4 Pro specs for months so there's no excuses. To compare the 7% spec bump the One S got (still doesn't match the OG PS4) to the PS4 Pro is really clueless.

Judging by the release window and the time at which Neo and Scorpio were announced, i think it was Sony who has forced MS hand. There is no way Sony could slap an almost-Scorpio one year in advance with $399 price tag as a direct counterattack and have a similarly designed PS4 slim as well.

That's just one scenario I had been toying with. The other is they were already designing a Slim version and just boosted that into the Pro. OR... they were designing the Pro to run VR better. So they had models in development, but were forced into releasing it early due to Scorpio rumors.

This is hopelessly inaccurate. The PS4 Neo was being worked on and talked about with developers long before there was anything out there about Scorpio.

You're inventing fiction to try and justify an opinion that can't be justified by reality.

Right. I'm no developer. I don't work at MS or Sony. I was just throwing my own thoughts and opinions out there and yeah... probably wrong. I appreciate the correction and the discussion. But, these companies don't live in their own little bubbles. They probably know a lot of what the other is planning well in advance and then plan to counter those plans. Only MS and Sony know for sure which was in the works first: the Scorpio or the PS4 Pro. Rumors and leaks don't tell the entire story. I was just throwing out one possibility.

Top Bottom