• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

phanphare

Banned
Its not about opinions, its about their total lack of knowledge. Or just being misleading on purpose. i'll reiterate what i said in another post. Tim and Colin were comparing the pro with the Xbox 1 s the entire show. basically saying it was the same thing. even saying the upgrade in power the xbox 1s got(10%) was similar to power upgrade in the pro(200%). They sounded like they didn't know what they were talking about. Then Colin went on his rant about games not being different from last gen, which has nothing to do with the consoles.

He also likes what MS is doing with scorpio, even though its exactly the same thing.

they were comparing the two because they share a similar feature-set in regards to 4k video and hdr. basically they check the same boxes and the Xbox One S even has a feature that the Pro doesn't in Ultra HD Blu Ray playback. I didn't find it hard to understand where they were coming from at all, seems like some of yall are misinterpreting what they're saying even though they explained themselves fairly well.

also the scorpio is in no way like the neo. the scorpio seems more like a proper generational leap and a shift away from the X1 ecosystem (regardless of how they pitched it at E3) whereas the neo is just an incremental bump for this generation that's still hamstrung to the OG hardware. totally different.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who hated the idea of Neo/Pro a few months ago, I became hyped and excited a few weeks ago and was really looking forward to the reveal but after the Meeting, my hyped and excitement is deflated.

Not having a 4K UHD Blu Ray Drive is a huge negative in my opinion and I don't even care about 4K UHD Blu Ray Movies but when your competitor has it and is $100 less, you start thinking, is the Pro worth the purchase? I'm still waiting to find out if the hard drive is a Sata III which as of right now, im assuming that it's not.

The biggest difference is between GPU of the Pro and the Xbox One Slim. Pro is at 4.2TF while the Slim is at 1.4TF. The Pro has triple the GPU power but at the same time, all they talked about was 4K and HDR (even though the majority of their videos weren't even utilizing HDR) which was a disappointment to me. I know what that stuff is and what it does.

What I wanted to know as a gamer is how the 4.2TF GPU is going to improve the frame rates and other aspects in games. That's what I want to know. I want details and facts. Not just speculation.

I know a lot of people find Colin annoying and whatnot but since Neo/Pro was first leaked, I have agreed with him because when you truly look at it, there's no reason whatsoever for it. Even worse is the fact that Mark Cerny admitted that they started looking into this right after the base PlayStation 4 launched.

I easily prefer my PS4 over Xbox One Slim but this is the unforced error by Sony. This "upgrade" wasn't necessary at all. Sony should have just went straight to PS5 and make that console have expansion ports so you can remove and upgrade the components.

Not only that but games must support HDR for you to get the benefits of it and of course, you need a 4K HDTV with HDR 10 bit or you just won't get the true benefits of it.

Seriously, Sony has done so much stuff correctly but this is bad and increasing the price of PS Plus doesn't help and the Slim is still overpriced. Pro was heavily focused on 4K yet there's no 4K UHD Blu Ray Drive.

Sorry but im 100% in agreement with Colin. What a clusterfuck. SMH.

killroy87

Dude just stated his opinion in a harsh but not unfair way, what the hell are you even talking about

I mean, every opinion is fair in that it's an opinion and you're entitled to it.

But Colin did seem to randomly take this opportunity (that being the Neo reveal) to just randomly go off on how upgraded hardware "doesn't change games". The whole rant was one long "What are you even talking about? What did you think this was?" He put forth the question "name ONE game on PS4 that couldn't have been done on PS3. Just one!"

The Witcher 3. Couldn't be done. And if you argue that it could be done, just by slashing half the assets and content, then I'd just as quickly ask the question "show me ONE game on PS3 that couldn't have been done in some way, shape or form on PS2".

Not having a 4K UHD Blu Ray Drive is a huge negative in my opinion and I don't even care about 4K UHD Blu Ray Movies but when your competitor has it and is $100 less, you start thinking, is the Pro worth the purchase?

The Bluray drive thing is weird. I totally agree it's silly from a "why would they not include that in a premium, 4K-driven device" way. The sheer optics of it are kind of silly. But 4K blu-rays have been selling terribly, and as streaming continues to improve (which it has been at an incredible pace), the format will just be even more dead and buried. From a business standpoint, I totally get it. And if omitting it let them shave $20 off the MSRP, then go for it. I think the backlash is a pretty knee-jerk reaction from people who don't own, and probably were never going to own, more than one or two 4K blurays in their lifetime.

Gaius

Banned
also the scorpio is in no way like the neo. the scorpio seems more like a proper generational leap and a shift away from the X1 ecosystem (regardless of how they pitched it at E3) whereas the neo is just an incremental bump for this generation that's still hamstrung to the OG hardware. totally different.

PS3 to PS4 = 10x power increase
Xbox One to Scorpio = 6x power increase
PS4pro to Scorpio = 1.4x power increase
Xbox One to PS4 = 1.5x power increase

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I feel the swipe was in particular going after Bethesda. They seem to be coasting on virtually the same game ever since Morrowind.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout haven't radically redefined by new hardware.

I do think it's Hyperbole. However there is a kernel of truth for a lot of releases.

cheesekao

Colin should be known already for his harsh criticisms and bluntness, not many people can stand people like him because they're used to being coddled by personalities that are afraid of disagreeing with their fan base. He's a good person and has not been afraid to eat crow before.
Disagreeing with your fan base is one thing but sometimes the way he presents his opinions is so damn cringe worthy. Being blunt is fine but from what I've seen, he goes beyond that.

The OG Xbone can play Scorpio games and vice-versa. How exactly is that shifting away?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I really didn't understand the level of negativity around the reveal last night. It was a bad conference alright, but the Pro was exactly what everyone should have been expecting. Aside from the lack of a UHD drive I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone was so disappointed.

The comparisons with the XB1S were laughable, both on the show and on Neogaf. Those 'Jeff Rigby was right' posts/threads were embarrassing.

The OG Xbone can play Scorpio games and vice-versa. How exactly is that shifting away?

I don't understand how people treat it like a new console when it's going to be hamstrung by the XB1 hardware.

AmuroChan

Pro was heavily focused on 4K yet there's no 4K UHD Blu Ray Drive.

99% of 4K content is digital. The UHD Blu-ray library is absolutely dismal right now. Sony has a vested interest in UHD Blu-ray drives. So when they don't even put it in their own machine, that tells you everything you need to know about where people are actually going for their 4K content now and in the future.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
PS3 to PS4 = 10x power increase
Xbox One to Scorpio = 6x power increase
PS4pro to Scorpio = 1.4x power increase
Xbox One to PS4 = 1.5x power increase

I hate the multiply reasoning if only because sure 2x is less than 10x. When numbers get crazy though the 2x jump is rather large.

Like if I had to walk 1 lap and you had to walk 10 that's a 10x increase. Yet if you walked 50 laps and I had to walk 200 that's only a 4 times increase. Doesn't mean that's not a large gap cause the numbers are getting bigger.

I know it's obvious math., but it's not always talked about.

killroy87

99% of 4K content is digital. The UHD Blu-ray library is absolutely dismal right now. Sony has a vested interest in UHD Blu-ray drives. So when they don't even put it in their own machine, that tells you everything you need to know about where people are actually going for their 4K content now and in the future.

Exactly. The UHD blu-ray thing is a perfect example of bandwagon complaining. 99% of the people bitching will never have bought one. They should be thankful that it's gone, since it's probably one of the reasons the Pro can launch at a super reasonable $399

AmuroChan

Disagreeing with your fan base is one thing but sometimes the way he presents his opinions is so damn cringe worthy. Being blunt is fine but from what I've seen, he goes beyond that.

I love Colin and I especially love his fearlessness to express an unpopular opinion about something, BUT you have to get your facts straight when expressing such opinion. Otherwise it just becomes a rant and not an informed opinion.

Gaius

Banned
I hate the multiply reasoning if only because sure 2x is less than 10x. When numbers get crazy though the 2x jump is rather large.

Like if I had to walk 1 lap and you had to walk 10 that's a 10x increase. Yet if you walked 50 laps and I had to walk 200 that's only a 4 times increase. Doesn't mean that's not a large gap cause the numbers are getting bigger.

I know it's obvious math., but it's not always talked about.

I get this side of the argument, but i believe diminishing returns ultimately negates that and we're back to what we have. You bench 10lbs or 100lbs, that's an enormous increase. 300 to 400 though? Well, at 300 your'e still gonna be considered stronger than 99% of people, and the only people who'll care are professionals.

The further we go the less these multipliers make an observable difference, not the opposite.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Even more reason to include it. Especially when the majority of the Meeting was centered around 4K. Sorry but Sony fucked up here. And saving $15 from not adding it in is bullshit. Even if the PRO evens out, losing $15 but giving those who buy Pro or want to buy Pro the 4K UHD BR player is more of an incentive to do so.

This idea was terrible from the beginning and once Microsoft completely caught Sony off guard at E3, this had nothing but disaster written all over it.

And this idea was three years in the making so Sony has been thinking about ripping us off since day one. People bash Microsoft for the shit they do but Sony is equally as bad.

Is the 4.2TF compared to Xbox One Slim 1.4TF really worth $100 difference or more? Anyone know this?

I mean, every opinion is fair in that it's an opinion and you're entitled to it.

But Colin did seem to randomly take this opportunity (that being the Neo reveal) to just randomly go off on how upgraded hardware "doesn't change games". The whole rant was one long "What are you even talking about? What did you think this was?" He put forth the question "name ONE game on PS4 that couldn't have been done on PS3. Just one!"

The Witcher 3. Couldn't be done. And if you argue that it could be done, just by slashing half the assets and content, then I'd just as quickly ask the question "show me ONE game on PS3 that couldn't have been done in some way, shape or form on PS2".

The Bluray drive thing is weird. I totally agree it's silly from a "why would they not include that in a premium, 4K-driven device" way. The sheer optics of it are kind of silly. But 4K blu-rays have been selling terribly, and as streaming continues to improve (which it has been at an incredible pace), the format will just be even more dead and buried. From a business standpoint, I totally get it. And if omitting it let them shave $20 off the MSRP, then go for it. I think the backlash is a pretty knee-jerk reaction from people who don't own, and probably were never going to own, more than one or two 4K blurays in their lifetime.

Yeah I hate that argument and again it's hardly relevant to the PS4 Pro.

Markoman

I don't get the Colin hate in this thread.
The only thing that bugs me about him is that he's a little bit too emotional about the topic, because I assume the upgrade should be easily affordable to him.
From the business perspective: Slim and Pro will sell like hotcakes this fall, no matter what Gaf thinks about it. There are more than 100m console owners from last gen who didn't make the jump to this gen yet. Sony dropped the ball? Lol, MS will be facing a much more difficult situation when Scorpio gets in the ring fall 2017 with 2 PS4 SKUs with a 60m+ userbase, their own cheap model and Nintedo NX.

I absolutely agree with Colin on the game argument: Pls, show me a truely next gen game that couldn'h have be done on last gen machines. Next gen to me is something like Mount & Blade Bannerlord: a game that features large scale battles that can not be done on PC level with the Cpus that can be found in consoles.
I don't think that Colin was accusing Sony for this, he was lamenting about the overall situation, a gen with delays, downgrades, hardly any gameplay innovations...but now they will throw more machines at us.

And, we can't predict if everything will play out smoothly with this new model. How can anyone be sure that games will run better on release day from now on, when devs are expected to develop with 8-10 versions in mind: PS4, XboxOne, (NX), PC, PS4Pro mode 1,2,3, Scorpio mode 1,2,3. Don't even bother to answer me...I want to see this in action next year and I will surely pay more attention to the Digital Foundry articles from now on.

cheesekao

I love Colin and I especially love his fearlessness to express an unpopular opinion about something, BUT you have to get your facts straight when expressing such opinion. Otherwise it just becomes a rant and not an informed opinion.
I concur. I have no problems with differing opinions but there are times where I've heard Colin talk about stuff that THINKS he knows about but a quick google check proves otherwise.

pretty sure they've already muddied the waters in regards to that
How so?

I think that's a little harsh, what's wrong with thinking Sony have a lack of exclusives (Which with the delays of Gran Turismo and Horizon they certainly do this year) and still being excited for one of the few they do have?

Also with the power thing, I think the point he was making is that it doesn't really matter which is the more powerful console, as long as the console has enough power to be able to compete with the market to get the games released on it. I thought that was obvious.

Yeah, the PS4 really struggled this year.
Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Alienation, The Witness (timed console exclusive), Firewatch (timed console exclusive), Abzu (timed console exclusive).

AmuroChan

Even more reason to include it. Especially when the majority of the Meeting was centered around 4K. Sorry but Sony fucked up here. And saving $15 from not adding it in is bullshit. Even if the PRO evens out, losing $15 but giving those who buy Pro or want to buy Pro the 4K UHD BR player is more of an incentive to do so.

Sorry, but a 4K UHD BR player would not have been incentive for me. I've had a PS4 since day 1 and I've yet to put a blu-ray movie into it. Digital is where the 4K content is now and for the foreseeable future.

If not having a UHD BR drive is a deal breaker for some, then get a ONE S instead.

Bolivar687

Banned
Colin, Greg, and Tim's takeaway is completely line with the hobbyist consensus as shown on GAF. The onus was on Sony to make a pitch and their equivocal messaging failed to demonstrate how this meaningfully improves their ecosystem.

They did make the case that this has actually already undermined the ecosystem. Games are taking way too long to come out as it is and it's not an unreasonable speculation that the PS4Pro likely contributed to the delays of both Horizon and Gran Turismo.

We all drank the tears of Nintendo fans and wannabe analysts when the PS4 stomped all concerns in 2013. But now we're not even three years in and both hardware and software sales are dramatically down. There just aren't that many great games to play anymore and the few we get are highly iterative. I'm sorry guys, but I just can't keep pretending that indie games are filling the gaps between quality AAA releases (the indies arent even that good anymore). There are dire reasons to question whether console gaming is a compelling hobby going forward and the PS4 Pro is a distraction doing absolutely nothing to alleviate these concerns.

A lot of you are asking what the harm is in more options but Vanillalite answered this with another question: what is the opportunity cost of the PS4 Pro? Could Sony have made their lineup better by hiring additional muscle to finish these games on time? What about new features and much-needed regional servers to PSN? Admittedly, the R&D cost is likely close to zero since these are already-existing AMD parts.

Lastly, we shouldn't blame Kinda Funny for confusing the Pro with the S - Sony gave that impression all by themselves.

Curufinwe

Colin, Greg, and Tim's takeaway is completely line with the hobbyist consensus as shown on GAF. The onus was on Sony to make a pitch and their equivocal messaging failed to demonstrate how this meaningfully improves their ecosystem.

They did make the case that this has actually already undermined the ecosystem. Games are taking way too long to come out as it is and it's not an unreasonable speculation that the PS4Pro likely contributed to the delays of both Horizon and Gran Turismo.

Yes it is. Uncharted 4 was delayed multiple times and that had nothing to do with PS4 Pro.

killroy87

We all drank the tears of Nintendo fans and wannabe analysts when the PS4 stomped all concerns in 2013. But now we're not even three years in and both hardware and software sales are dramatically down. There just aren't that many great games to play anymore and the few we get are highly iterative. I'm sorry guys, but I just can't keep pretending that indie games are filling the gaps between quality AAA releases (the indies arent even that good anymore). There are dire reasons to question whether console gaming is a compelling hobby going forward and the PS4 Pro is a distraction doing absolutely nothing to alleviate these concerns.

A lot of you are asking what the harm is in more options but Vanillalite answered this with another question: what is the opportunity cost of the PS4 Pro? Could Sony have made their lineup better by hiring additional muscle to finish these games on time? What about new features and much-needed regional servers to PSN? Admittedly, the R&D cost is likely close to zero since these are already-existing AMD parts.

Lastly, we shouldn't blame Kinda Funny for confusing the Pro with the S - Sony gave that impression all by themselves.

I disagree with almost this whole post, but blaming Gran Turismo's delay on the Pro is hilarious. GT wasn't delayed because of the Pro, it was delayed because Polyphony is, and always has been, incapable of shipping a game in a reasonable amount of time.

Curufinwe

This idea was terrible from the beginning and once Microsoft completely caught Sony off guard at E3, this had nothing but disaster written all over it.

And this idea was three years in the making so Sony has been thinking about ripping us off since day one. People bash Microsoft for the shit they do but Sony is equally as bad.

Is the 4.2TF compared to Xbox One Slim 1.4TF really worth $100 difference or more? Anyone know this?

I'm sure Sony are quaking in their boots about MS releasing a more powerful console a year later. They remember when the original Xbox came out and crushed the PS2.

Curufinwe

That logic does not work.

Just because the Pro did not cause the delay for one game does not absolve it for the delays of all games.

Assuming that a delay was caused by PS4 Pro simply based on its existence is clearly not reasonable when games get delayed all the time.

It's hard to really quantify this because from what I know, the two biggest things more processing power does is it allows you to have much better physics and much better AI.

Which is why Shadows of Mordor and the Nemesis system wasn't possible on the PS3/360. And why Half-Life 2 was possible (Barely) on the PS3/360 and not PS2.

So we are probably getting much better physics and AI in this generation which does makes games better, but that's probably not something that most people are going to instantly notice.

Much of their complaints seem to stem from them thinking the Pro only offers HDR and 4K upscaling. They even compare it directly to the One S saying the One S already does that.

I really do think Sony was purposely obtuse with details about the Pro to not rock the boat too much with core owners. Once the Pro is in the wild we are going to see a lot of improvements across the board. The One S has even had an impact on some games with no extra input from devs.

So I don't think we have seen the full benefits of the Pro. I think they hid a lot of what it can do on conventional hdtv sets, and once that is more well known then the conversation changes dramatically. However, if they focused on that aspect then instead of disappointment then Sony would be dealing with blowback and an upset current install base saying their current console is "obsolete".

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
had to stop watching after colin started his rant.

hes upset at hardware makers when he should be upset at software makers.

Bolivar687

Banned
Assuming that a delay was caused by PS4 Pro simply based on its existence is clearly not reasonable when games get delayed all the time.

It's not based simply on its existence - it's based on the close timing of their releases, the requirements of the certification process, and the validation through Colin and others that many developers agree this is making their jobs harder.

No one is arguing the PS4 Pro is the sole reason for these delays but the factors above collectively suggest that it almost certainly contributed to it.

But that's tangential to the greater argument, that the Pro is doing nothing to address the greater problems facing the industry right now.

That logic does not work.

Just because the Pro did not cause the delay for one game does not absolve it for the delays of all games.
Except you're making the illogical conclusion that the Pro is at fault for game delays, when we have 3 years of multiple games being delayed.

cheesekao

I absolutely agree with Colin on the game argument: Pls, show me a truely next gen game that couldn'h have be done on last gen machines. Next gen to me is something like Mount & Blade Bannerlord: a game that features large scale battles that can not be done on PC level with the Cpus that can be found in consoles.
I don't think that Colin was accusing Sony for this, he was lamenting about the overall situation, a gen with delays, downgrades, hardly any gameplay innovations...but now they will throw more machines at us.

And, we can't predict if everything will play out smoothly with this new model. How can anyone be sure that games will run better on release day from now on, when devs are expected to develop with 8-10 versions in mind: PS4, XboxOne, (NX), PC, PS4Pro mode 1,2,3, Scorpio mode 1,2,3. Don't even bother to answer me...I want to see this in action next year and I will surely pay more attention to the Digital Foundry articles from now on.
Just checked some footage of Bannerlord and I have no idea how you would think that it's "next gen" but maybe that's because I think the term "Next-gen gameplay" is dumb as hell anyway. We aren't in the early days of 3d gaming anymore. If they replaced everything with stick figures and buildings while retaining the exact same gameplay, would you still consider it "next-gen" gameplay even if you could play it on a rusty toaster?

You can make innovative games with weak hardware and Nintendo is proof of that. Yes, some games may require lots of power for the devs to achieve their true vision but that isn't the norm.

pretty sure ms said developers are free to make games exclusive to scorpio
Source?

killroy87

It's not based simply on its existence - it's based on the close timing of their releases, the requirements of the certification process, and the validation through Colin and others that many developers agree this is making their jobs harder.

No one is arguing the PS4 Pro is the sole reason for these delays but the factors above collectively suggest that it almost certainly contributed to it.

But that's tangential to the greater argument, that the Pro is doing nothing to address the greater problems facing the industry right now.

See, but even this. You're saying this with literally 0% evidence. Just saying the words "almost certainly" doesn't make it true lol. You can say it, and you can believe it, just know that you have literally no ground to stand on.

I'm assuming that you're a PlayStation fan, it should be obvious why he criticized Sony and PS VR the way he did.

Sony has a shitty history of releasing tech and just abandoning it, which is something Colin explains on why he bashed on the idea of Sony releasing a VR unit.

And lately Colin has shown nothing but excitement for PSVR because Sony has shown that they're fully committed to support PSVR after launch instead of just abandoning the hardware.

Colin should be known already for his harsh criticisms and bluntness, not many people can stand people like him because they're used to being coddled by personalities that are afraid of disagreeing with their fan base. He's a good person and has not been afraid to eat crow before.

One of Colin's best works.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/10/04/rising-to-greatness-the-history-of-naughty-dog

This is probably Colin's finest piece of content. I for one love the guy and respect his opinions :p

You just proved his point.

phanphare

Banned
"All of your Xbox One games and accessories are compatible across all Xbox One family of products, including Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Project Scorpio," a Microsoft representative said.

Within the same page. Who's right?

hence why I said "muddied the waters"

Curufinwe

The Pro is aimed at preventing the console market stagnation that happened in the latter years of the PS3/360 gen.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...o-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around

Regarding the PlayStation 4 Pro, he suggested the Xbox wasn’t even being considered its main competition. Rather, it was the PC. “I saw some data that really influenced me,” he said. “It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro – and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement.”

-VipeR

Banned
I'm sorry but Colin was super annoying in the lastest episode, I could not even listen to him.
It's probably the disappointment talking, after seeing that atrocious PS meeting.
But saying that we don't need power is BS. Asking to name a game that can't be done on PS3 is also BS.

Gaming is an interactive visual medium. Better graphics and performance make a huge difference. Go play Battlefield 4 or Dragon age inquisition on PS3, then play them on PS4. The difference is night and day in both graphics and performance and these are older crossgen games. . It's like watching the new star wars movie in an SD 4:3 small screen on an airplane. GTFO colin.

Bolivar687

Banned
See, but even this. You're saying this with literally 0% evidence. Just saying the words "almost certainly" doesn't make it true lol. You can say it, and you can believe it, just know that you have literally no ground to stand on.

Confirmed developer complaints on these complications and the reality of certification are surely more than "literally 0% evidence," much less "literally no ground to stand on" (that's a very poor choice of words).

clouds-in-blue-sky.png.cf.png

You guys are getting emotional about this and it's causing you to grasp at tangents instead of engaging the core argument (with broken logic and hyperbole at that).

No, we should. It's called listening. They even spent 5 minutes showing an example of how the Pro would improve games on current HDTV sets by having better AA, more assets, effects, etc.

Top Bottom