• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Servbot24

Banned
But as Colin said, games aren't really changing despite the extra power so why does Scorpio get a pass and not PS4Pro?

Eh, I would ignore that. Colin went batshit insane for that part of the show. It was a tangent that just happened to be on his mind and he wildly tried to tie it to PS4.

Scorpio is practically a new console platform. PS4 Pro is a marginal update. It's a notable difference.

How is it practically a new console platform? You are literally ignoring everything MS has said about it if you think that. Like the PS4 Pro is tied to the base PS4 the Scorpio is tied to the One, other than VR games MS has said it will have no exclusives.

Honestly the difference will likely be the Pro plays games at the same frame rate at a resolution below 4K upscaled to 4K. While the Scorpio will play games at the same frame rate at native 4K. They are probably not going to be 'that' different, not trying to say the Scorpio won't be more powerful but it will need to use all of that extra power to get games running at native 4K. That's a huge feat the many high end graphics cards can't do well.

Unless MS dumps the Xbox One and lets the Scorpio have exclusives it's not a new console platform.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think there's a big difference between a new console and an in-between like the PS4 Pro and that's what he means

but what do I know, ask him

Wait so the scropio is going to replace the existing xbox one? no more xbox one games?

Scorpio is practically a new console platform. PS4 Pro is a marginal update. It's a notable difference.
But it's not Scorpio pretty much going to be Pro+? If Sony is hitting resolutions higher than 1080p and using software tricks to get close to native 4K. What is MS going to do with another 30% increase in GPU power? Even with a better CPU I'd say at best they are gonna get some higher resolution games with better effects or higher frame rates. It's not going to be an N64 game compared to a PS2 one. Might not even be Xbox vs. PS2 if devs continually focus on resolution so much.

So while I get the it's a gut reaction and Colin has stated why this isn't really necessary with a lot of valid reasons. His acceptance of X1 doing it is nonsense since it's only a bigger jump becaus they are releasing later and the X1 sells suck.

He was kidding. Also, why ignore his comment saying it was a joke just to go out of your way and post this?

Yup he was kidding, hard to tell if someone is joking around these days on the web. It's all good though. I watched the video and I get why he said that. I didn't watch the entire video so I thought I must have missed something, but he was just joking, relax people!

EmiPrime

She btw.

Yup he was kidding, hard to tell if someone is joking around these days on the web. It's all good though. I watched the video and I get why he said that. I didn't watch the entire video so I thought I must have missed something, but he was just joking, relax people!

It's cool.

I'm pretty sure they weren't actually angry lol :p

Yea, I shut it off too soon, but they made up almost instantly afterwards, but I genuinely think they were angry at each other in the moment. They seemed pretty ticked off this week from the PS news. Seems like they got it out of their systems lol.

cheesekao

Of course, because I haven't played an action-RPG large scale battle game before M&B? Have you? Moussou games don't count, because they have non existing AI. Not saying that M&B's AI is great, but it's doing much more than any other battle simulating game I've ever played.
Did I mention that Bannerlord is developed by a rather small team?
I'm still amazed how many ideas and concepts the team was able to put in the first game.
If you haven't played the first Mount & Blade game, I advise you to check it out if you're into Medieval, RPG, Action, Sim games or wait for Bannerlord.
Colin HAS a point, we're mostly getting formulaic games today. Don't even dare to say that Witcher 3 couldn't be done on last gen machines. Why is Witcher 3 next-gen? Because it's large and there's plenty of foliage? Well, Xenoblade C runs on hardware similar to last gen machines and is large, too.
Please, name one true next-gen console game, maybe I've missed something.
Last gen got away with not reinventing the wheel, because the jump from SD to HD was a really huge leap.
I don't want to discuss this any further due to semantics. If a "next-gen game" can run on a last gen machine, then I'll just call it for what it is; a game with unique gameplay.

Neonep

Colin got ya'll emotional. What he said must have gotten under a bunch of ya'll skin. If he was completely wrong ya'll would have brushed it off. Gamers are a sensitive bunch.

decisions

No third party is going to support them on this. Not a single one.

I dunno man, I'm trying to ponder whether it would be genius or idiocy for MS to come out next year and be like, "Even if the competition isn't here yet, the next generation starts right now"

I dunno man, I'm trying to ponder whether it would be genius or idiocy for MS to come out next year and be like, "Even if the competition isn't here yet, the next generation starts right now"

Not only would they undermine their image in the eyes of their quite significant by then user base, which would be left in the dust, but they would probably be shunned by many developers who would rather exploit the engine and tools that they had been perfecting for the last 4 or 5 years. Also, how could said developers ignore the 50 to 60 million PS4s and PS4 Pros in the wild? That plan will backfire for sure...

decisions

Not only would they undermine their image in the eyes of their quite significant by then user base, which would be left in the dust, but they would probably be shunned by many developers who would rather exploit the engine and tools that they had been perfecting for the last 4 or 5 years. Also, how could said developers ignore the 50 to 60 million PS4s and PS4 Pros in the wild? That plan will backfire for sure...

I could see this scenario occurring. I could also see them generating tons of hype with a significant power difference if the first party games are good. Boom, PS4/XBO owners are ready to move on if given proper incentive, and the Pro means nothing in comparison to the new Xbox.

It's a long shot but I wouldn't think they're stupid for doing it. It would be an easy rhetoric to spin about being "for the gamers", "ahead of the competition", and whatnot.

Of course Sony would just come in 2018 with the PS5 and then you'd have to wonder if they'd take that extra year and make the PS5 more powerful than the Scorpio. And now this is back to the reason why this whole half-step console upgrade idea is kinda weird and unfulfilling.

Personally I wish the Pro and Scorpio didn't exist and we just had the next gen coming out next year or 2018.

jayu26

I could see this scenario occurring. I could also see them generating tons of hype with a significant power difference if the first party games are good. Boom, PS4/XBO owners are ready to move on if given proper incentive, and the Pro means nothing in comparison to the new Xbox.

It's a long shot but I wouldn't think they're stupid for doing it. It would be an easy rhetoric to spin about being "for the gamers", "ahead of the competition", and whatnot.

Of course Sony would just come in 2018 with the PS5 and then you'd have to wonder if they'd take that extra year and make the PS5 more powerful than the Scorpio. And now this is back to the reason why this whole half-step console upgrade idea is kinda weird and unfulfilling.

Personally I wish the Pro and Scorpio didn't exist and we just had the next gen coming out next year or 2018.
This is insanity. They would be asking slim users to upgrade after one year and asking third parties to leave their mature tools without having utilized them. Third parties are not going to leave the market leader when Xbox has no chance in lot of the markets simply because it's called Xbox. You are insane if you think this is even a remote possibility, specially after Phill has said Xbone will be the base. He already has to do some dodging because VR games won't work on Xbone. You have gone of the deep end, and if what you say does happen then it would be MS who would have gone of the deep end.

Colin got ya'll emotional. What he said must have gotten under a bunch of ya'll skin. If he was completely wrong ya'll would have brushed it off. Gamers are a sensitive bunch.

Wow, that's so deep bro. Ya most people criticize Trump because they think there's truth bombs in what he is saying. What a sensitive bunch.

Ya'll.

Yea, I shut it off too soon, but they made up almost instantly afterwards, but I genuinely think they were angry at each other in the moment. They seemed pretty ticked off this week from the PS news. Seems like they got it out of their systems lol.

I think it's hilarious that you thought Colin and Greg would get actually mad at each other with tensions flaring after PS4 Pro news.

Some Nobody

Like, how is the Pro "half-assed" and the Scorpio isn't? Both are "restricted" by having to be compatible by the OG systems/infrastructure. Obviously it's likely the Scorpio is more powerful, but they're both operating in the same arena.

Both are OPTIONAL upgrades. If you are a person who cares about the likely upgrades the more powerful systems will have, then buy it. If not, stay completely happy with the OG systems. The levels for disdain for an optional system just don't make sense when it will not effect him one bit.

That goes to my original point which I've been irked by since the beginning. It feels like we just barely escaped crossgen and now in a way we're not only back, but if this is successful we're back forever lol. That's the biggest sticking point for me--it feels like we're trapped in a permanent world of cross-gen games now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think he said he was ok with Scorpio since it is going to be 4 years since XB1, they're losing, and its a "monumental leap" over the last console.

But it's actually NOT a monumental leap over the last console. It's only a 50% increase in RAM and a 3x jump from the PS4 as far as total Teraflop console power is concerned.

killroy87

But it's actually NOT a monumental leap over the last console. It's only a 50% increase in RAM and a 3x jump from the PS4 as far as total Teraflop console power is concerned.

lol, 3X seems like a pretty big leap to me.

I'm not going to debate PS4 Pro VS Scorpio, I'm buying both and I don't care.

But comparing the launch Xbone with the Scorpio, it's treading dangerously close to full generation leap in terms of spec boosts. Maybe not completely there, but very close. The specs of the Scorpio are pretty high for a console.

I don't know how much that will effect third party titles that still need to develop for everything, but I'm anxious to see what first party games can look like when they really try to get the most out of it.

The Scorpio is basically right on target with the annual power increase in the silicon industry.

If you take PS4 as the baseline, and assume a 31-32% yearly power increase due to the advancements of technology, you get exactly the power output of the PS4 Pro after 3 years

PS4 1.84 Teraflops * 1.32^3 = 4.23 Teraflops

Now if you add one more year to it you get 5.59 Teraflops which is right inline with the output of the Scorpio. So it basically bolt down to do you want to release a refresh model after 3 years or after 4 years. If Sony target the release to 2017, they can easily archive 6 Teraflops.

So, is there anyone who planned on getting a PSVR, but canceled those plans to get PS4 Pro instead? Prior to the rumors of PS4 Pro, nothing could change my mind on getting a PSVR. Once the specs of PS4 Pro were leaked, I still was settled on PSVR, but figured I'd make up my mind once and for all when the PS4 Pro was officially unveiled. After the unveiling, I'm still planning on getting PSVR. I figure a PS5 will be announced/launched in 3-4 years. Hopefully by then, I'll have a 4K display, which I don't currently down own. Also PSVR will give me something unique. I feel like, as someone who already owns a PS4 and does not own a 4KTV, choosing PS4 Pro over PSVR would be foolish (for me).

killroy87

So, is there anyone who planned on getting a PSVR, but canceled those plans to get PS4 Pro instead? Prior to the rumors of PS4 Pro, nothing could change my mind on getting a PSVR. Once the specs of PS4 Pro were leaked, I still was settled on PSVR, but figured I'd make up my mind once and for all when the PS4 Pro was officially unveiled. After the unveiling, I'm still planning on getting PSVR. I figure a PS5 will be announced/launched in 3-4 years. Hopefully by then, I'll have a 4K display, which I don't currently down own. Also PSVR will give me something unique. I feel like, as someone who already owns a PS4 and does not own a 4KTV, choosing PS4 Pro over PSVR would be foolish (for me).

I cancelled my PSVR, and am getting a Pro, but the two aren't related. I'm just not sold on PSVR being a worthwhile purchase at launch. Most of the software looks like a novelty at best, so I'll wait a few months to see how it's being received, how it's selling, and what the software output is looking like.

I canceled my PSVR pre-order. If given the option between playing VR games or traditional games but with better graphics and performance I rather go with the latter. I don't care about changing how I play video games. I got into video games with traditional controllers and a TV. If I could improve how I enjoy video games then I will. I might pick up the PSVR later down the road. Also the PS4 Pro gives me a good reason to upgrade my 32in 1080 TV.

One thing not many have picked up on, but is a strong point that Verendus mentioned. Developers are already having trouble releasing a lot of content this generation in the AAA space. It’s just taking longer for the quality to get there with games, as we’ve seen by the constant delays. Refreshing 3 years in, is truly a mid-gen refresh. The extra boost in power might help some devs working on ambitious projects, and of course it is future proofing for the increase in TV resolutions. Xbox next is coming earliest “Holiday 2017”. That is really starting to creep towards the tail end of this generation. By the time MS’s first party devs really do something amazing on Scorpio, guess what will be around the corner?

I dunno, I’m not buying Scorpio next year is going to do much of anything to swing momentum. Sony’s best looking games will be releasing by then. Stuff like Horizon, GTS, maybe even God of War or Days Gone, and that’s going against first gen Scorpio games. If MS changes too much (CPU&GPU) the learning curve will be even higher, and some devs will simply ignore exploiting it’s potential because of the larger user base from PS4, unless it comes out and sells 5 million units in 2 months.

I think the only misstep Sony took was communication. PS4Pro is good timing, good value, a black friday, and Holiday all to itself and a full year of being the most powerful console experience on the market. It smells like PS2.0 to me...

we’ll see...

sam777

Why are most here moaning so much about Colin's opinion? Acting as if he killed someone the way some of you lot go on, jeez.

PepperedHam

Wow, that's so deep bro. Ya most people criticize Trump because they think there's truth bombs in what he is saying. What a sensitive bunch.

Ya'll.
Can't even compare the outrageous shit Trump does and says to Colin's opinions on the PlayStation Pro. Not even comparable situations in the slightest.

One man has a good shot at leading the United States of America and he's a straight psycho and the other said some things about the PlayStation Pro, a video game console.

Mezoly

I canceled my PSVR pre-order but I'm not picking PS4 Pro atm. I want to get a 4K + HDR tv first because that's where consoles seems to be heading. I believe in VR and I think it's great but after the reports of PC vr sales flattening, I'm waiting until next year to see the adoption rate and software support of PSVR.

Anticol

Banned

You know that the difference in power from the Pro and the Xbone Slim is bigger than the theoretical difference the Scorpio will have on the Pro?

Regarding their reaction podcast, they got so many things wrong, so many things, they claimed that only people with a 4k tv will see the improvements of the system, which is completely wrong, they also said the difference between the pro and the Xbone slim is minimal, which is outstandingly wrong.

Moneal

Why are most here moaning so much about Colin's opinion? Acting as if he killed someone the way some of you lot go on, jeez.

Again people aren't complaining about his opinion. They are discussing the fact that his opinion doesn't make sense. He says power doesn't make better games with the PS4Pro, but is optimistic for Scorpio, when Scorpio is just a power boost as well. He downplays the power step from ps4 to ps4pro. He and Tim essentially said that the ps4pro is just like the Xbox 1s.

Suzzopher

Colin spouts so much misinformation and double standards you'd think he was a republican..oh wait.

The Pro is an option nothing more, plus in less than two years I guarantee that Sony will unveil another model which will be even more powerful.

You don't have to upgrade your phone every year, you don't have to upgrade to a Pro, it's an option simple as that. We're now on a two to three year cycle of hardware, if you don't upgrade this year you can upgrade when the next model is announced.

The X1s is not even as powerful as a standard PS4 so I have no idea how a Pro is not a step up from that.

Colin spouts so much misinformation and double standards you'd think he was a republican..oh wait.
I love it when people take jabs at other people's politic views in an argument that has absolutely nothing to do wotherwise that.

Oh wait. No I don't. I liked it a lot more when this thread only had a handful of posts. I'd love to raise awareness to the fact that both Tim and Greg, as mentioned, both agreed with Colin and yet everyone still continues taking personal shots at only him. I just don't understand lol.

Moneal

I'd love to raise awareness to the fact that both Tim and Greg, as mentioned, both agreed with Colin and yet everyone still continues taking personal shots at only him. I just don't understand lol.

Probably because he was the loudest and went on a rant blaming the console, for devs not being creative. Which has nothing to do with the console. But he has and did say he approved of the Scorpio, which is exactly the same as ps4pro except more power. I did point out that Tim seemed ignorant to how much power the ps4pro actually had, with Colin seeming to agree with him. Greg realizes that the PS4Pro just isn't for him, and says as much.

Tim and Greg also didn't act arrogant with their opinions. So there is that.

Top Bottom