• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is very smart, but you are forgetting other things like what type of CPU will it have? And it will only have 12 GBs of RAM total. A 50% increase in memory is NOT next-gen worthy.

Your definition of next gen should change. Even PS5 will likely only have 16 or 24GB memory max. THat's a far cry from the 16x we've traditionally had.

prwxv3

Can't wait until tomorrow's episode. I wonder if their stance has changed at all since the reveal. A lot of information came out afterwards that they didn't know at the time.
i don't think any minds will change until they see it in person.

I will be skipping the Last Guardian mocking segment for sure

Can't wait until tomorrow's episode. I wonder if their stance has changed at all since the reveal. A lot of information came out afterwards that they didn't know at the time.

Even if their opinion hasn't changed, which is fine, I'd like to think they'll have done a teensy bit of additional research and correct some of the facts they got wrong.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Your definition of next gen should change. Even PS5 will likely only have 16 or 24GB memory max. THat's a far cry from the 16x we've traditionally had.

16 GBs would be a HUGE disappointment. You don't think they can get 32 GBs of RAM in the PS5 by 2019?

Neonep

Wow, that's so deep bro. Ya most people criticize Trump because they think there's truth bombs in what he is saying. What a sensitive bunch.

Ya'll.
It's one thing when the man you are criticizing is running for president of the United States. We are talking about video games (Iverson voice). Colin just gave his opinion on the PS4Pro which was also an immediate reaction and people are here writing paragraphs. Overreact much. Lol. I just think it's funny.

prwxv3

Even if their opinion hasn't changed, which is fine, I'd like to think they'll have done a teensy bit of additional research and correct some of the facts they got wrong.

Oh god this. But I will not get my hopes up. Colin still thinks TLG has a mega budget when it does not.

This is very smart, but you are forgetting other things like what type of CPU will it have? And it will only have 12 GBs of RAM total. A 50% increase in memory is NOT next-gen worthy.

is amount of memory really a bottlenecK? I thought the biggest one so far was the CPU, but is 8 GB of Video ram really not enough?

Zukkoyaki

I will be skipping the Last Guardian mocking segment for sure
Ugh, good call. I love Greg and Colin but man, they just refuse to cut that game any slack. Obviously development didn't go as plan but why dogpile a game that took a long time instead of celebrating that it's finally coming? I wish they had Tim on every episode because they could use an injection of optimism here and there and some contrasting view points. I love this podcast but it really is primarily Colin giving his opinion (often cynical, not necessarily negative) and Greg being neutral.

Inuhanyou

16 GBs would be a HUGE disappointment. You don't think they can get 32 GBs of RAM in the PS5 by 2019?

Do PC's routinely have 16 or 24 or 32GB high speed memory in them right now? The highest end PC GPU on the market right only only has 12 GB of GDDR5x in it right this second. Its impossible just by the limitations of technology, both heating and power resources.

And you expecing 32?

Even if Sony, even by the unlikeliest of margins got to 32GB with a high speed memory, that's still only 4x what the PS4 has, which is nothing compared to the 16x that has traditionally be in console generations.

Ugh, good call. I love Greg and Colin but man, they just refuse to cut that game any slack. Obviously development didn't go as plan but why dogpile a game that took a long time instead of celebrating that it's finally coming?

Because the game and its development has given way more reasons to be skeptical than happy.

prwxv3

Ugh, good call. I love Greg and Colin but man, they just refuse to cut that game any slack. Obviously development didn't go as plan but why dogpile a game that took a long time instead of celebrating that it's finally coming?

The thing is is that they are not even fond of Ueda games. They have openly said that they dont like ICO or SOTC wich is fine (those games are not for everyone) but I am not a fan of a non-fan constantly shitting on it and being ignorant of its dev history. It's has not been in active development for 10 years, it is not a monster money pit for Sony,ect. They still fucked up the dev for the game but it would be much worse if they were in active developement for 10 years.

kadotsu

Banned
is amount of memory really a bottlenecK? I thought the biggest one so far was the CPU, but is 8 GB of Video ram really not enough?

The real bottleneck for console manufacturers is and has always been the same. It's the trinity of power consumption, heat and price. If we go by that RAM isn't really a bottleneck anymore. You are right that most stuff that we are currently annoyed with (bad performance/sluggish UI) is directly caused by the underpowered CPU.

The Scorpio could solve a lot of that if they went with the current AMD architectures. Heat and power would not increase that much. Manufacturing cost would however. Pair this with the standing of the XBOX division in MS in general it seems unfeasible that they will go for both a loss leader and a high speced CPU.

So the Scorpio (just like the Pro) is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They can either sell a $600+ console that will satisfy the non-PC performance crowd. Or go for a console that just increases resolution and effects, probably in more cases to something closer than native 4k but still performs at 30FPS in most cases, even on 1080p.

Inuhanyou

Correct. What has this game shown that anybody should be confident in it. I felt the same way about No Man's Sky.

The difference is, these devs have a known track record, despite ups and downs with the project.

prwxv3

Correct. What has this game shown that anybody should be confident in it. I felt the same way about No Man's Sky.

A ton of fans like myself are pretty happy with the recent demos and trailers. I would have been mad if the game changed drastically like everyone predicted before the re-reveal

prwxv3

They think ICO and SOTC are overrated. these kinds of games are not their cup of tea.

And that is fine. I just think every time TLG is brought up they say the exact same things (ignorance and all) and it gets grating. I do hope they realize that those games influenced many game designers (TLOU would not be the game it is without ICO and SOTC existing).

I Honestly think it would be for the best if anyone not a fan of Ueda games would just move on. I don't care about the meme status of the game. TLG is for fans it is not a flagship game.

Moneal

So this is exactly the same as the previous episode, just without greg. Beating the same drum. Bashing a console maker for giving more power, because games need to have better story and gameplay. Like its the console that controls those things.

Rikudo

Banned
So this is exactly the same as the previous episode, just without greg. Beating the same drum. Bashing a console maker for giving more power, because games need to have better story and gameplay. Like its the console that controls those things.

Their arguments are idiotic.Ugh. unsubbed.from KF.

So I take it then Colin didn't take any criticisms in this thread to heart?

(PS PC's have continuously gotten more powerful and that is where the most innovation in games takes place)

El-Suave

Bashing a console maker for giving more power, because games need to have better story and gameplay. Like its the console that controls those things.

In Germany this is called a "Totschlagargument" - a cheap point which can hardly be argued, so it squashes any meaningful discussion. Really disappointed that this is the fall back position. I'm no fan of the Pro and I think it's a mistake, but that's not how you should discuss this in my opinion.

Mokubba

Guess I'll be skipping this episode.

fritzo

Colin can say what he wants but the goal for Sony was to have a product at the 399 price point this holiday and they are going to be laughing all the way to the bank after they exhaust their hardcore audience for the first year and then they start packing in God of war, spider-man, Star Wars, destiny 2 etc.. with ps4 pro holiday 2017. They can still announce and release a ps5 with forwards and backwards compatibility in 2018 if they choose to.

Agreed. An improved console for a good price. $399. The OG PS4 sold very well for that price. Don't know if the pro will sell the same, but it will inject new life in the PS brand in general (along with the slim). If people are looking for their first PS4, the pro seems like a great way to go, if not, they'll get the slim. I think Colin should take a step back and look at this from a business perspective. And Sony has room to pivot now that MS has revealed some Scorpio specs. Colin needs to just relax a little bit.

prwxv3

I still have no idea why Colin is arguing this. I thought he did not want Sony to alienate vanilla ps4 owners. It makes no fucking sense.

JEez really? I like their rants, but if they are beating the same bush again I may just skip this ep

Planet

GOLDFARB!
Wow, I didn't know how deep his ignorance goes! He is sitting truckloads of shit already and I am not yet a third of the way through...

He said the Pro might have been good for VR if a twenty hour experience needed more processing power. That is such utter nonsense it leaves me speechless.

He said the PS4 Pro is more neck to neck with the Xbox One S, while Scorpio obviously is the next big thing. He probably thinks the Pro "upscales" 4K just like the One S does. And I suspect Colin and Greg don't get that either...

EmiPrime

About 15 minutes in and yeah it's the same bollocks as last week about story and gameplay. Colin even said he was glad he declined the invitation to go see it for himself and would have been "so mad" if he had gone. How can you be part of an enthusiast podcast and say that? Even if you don't like the idea of iterative consoles to not even have the curiosity to see it in person and have informed, first hand impressions of it instead of just watching the same low bitrate stream everyone else watched is really damning.

He said the PS4 Pro is more neck to neck with the Xbox One S, while Scorpio obviously is the next big thing. He probably thinks the Pro "upscales" 4K just like the One S does. And I suspect Colin and Greg don't get that either...

Not sure I want to watch the whole thing... christ.

prwxv3

Wow, I didn't know how deep his ignorance goes! He is sitting truckloads of shit already and I am not yet a third of the way through...

He said the Pro might have been good for VR if a twenty hour experience needed more processing power. That is such utter nonsense it leaves me speechless.

I am speechless that there are people that don't understand that a 2X increase in GPU power (and small increase is CPU power) will help VR games perform better. Utterly speechless.

I am so dissapointed. I really respect Greg, Colin, and the rest but to see them be so ignorant and downright uneducated about these things really hurts.

fritzo

About 15 minutes in and yeah it's the same bollocks as last week about story and gameplay. Colin even said he was glad he declined the invitation to go see it for himself and would have been "so mad" if he had gone. How can you be part of an enthusiast podcast and say that? Even if you don't like the idea of iterative consoles to not even have the curiosity to see it in person and have informed, first hand impressions of it instead of just watching the same low bitrate stream everyone else watched is really damning.

I like how this episode's title is "PS4 Pros and Cons". Nice play on words, but I legit thought they'd try to point out the PROS with the Pro. but its essentially the same rant as the last episode. I don't need them to try to sell the PRO to their audience, but at least try to argue the pros for the system itself. Sony isn't forcing anyone to "upgrade". I mean just that term alone is stupid, how many of us have ever "upgrade" their current system to a slim or something else. The pro is for anyone who wants to buy one. I would get where Colin is coming from if this was some huge beefed up console to match PCs and at a huge price, but its not.

Morts

Oh geez, I would've thought they'd get tons of factual corrections since last week. What's the point of the episode if they spend it discussing false information?

chefbags

Doubling down huh..

I'd honestly say Sony would be seriously pissed at them for doing this. To criticize is one thing but to outright repeat the same shit as last week without seeing it for yourself is seriously lame. Number 1 Playstation podcast and they spread this kind of misinformation.

fritzo

Doubling down huh..

I'd honestly say Sony would be seriously pissed at them for doing this. To criticize is one thing but to outright repeat the same shit as last week without seeing it for yourself is seriously lame. Number 1 Playstation podcast and they spread this kind of misinformation.

It would be cool if they had some sort of exclusive interview with Cerny or some executive to try to "sell" us on the idea of the PRO. Not just to buy, but the WHY of the pro. Why it's needed in 2016 and the future.

Neonep

That conference was horrible and boring. I would have been mad if I flew cross country just for that shit.

Lister

Banned
I am speechless that there are people that don't understand that a 4X increase in GPU power (and small increase is CPU power) will help VR games perform better. Utterly speechless.

I am so dissapointed. I really respect Greg, Colin, and the rest but to see them be so ignorant and downright uneducated about these things really hurts.

PS4 Pro is not 4x the gpu power of PS4.

Morts

That conference was horrible and boring. I would have been mad if I flew cross country just for that shit.

It seemed like people who were there were impressed with the Pro, since they could see the difference HDR makes and increased graphical detail that wouldn't show up on a stream.

kevin1025

Banned
I like how this episode's title is "PS4 Pros and Cons". Nice play on words, but I legit thought they'd try to point out the PROS with the Pro. but its essentially the same rant as the last episode. I don't need them to try to sell the PRO to their audience, but at least try to argue the pros for the system itself. Sony isn't forcing anyone to "upgrade". I mean just that term alone is stupid, how many of us have ever "upgrade" their current system to a slim or something else. The pro is for anyone who wants to buy one. I would get where Colin is coming from if this was some huge beefed up console to match PCs and at a huge price, but its not.

The funny thing is, Colin says that he "appreciates the upscaling of framerate and gameplay", but it's said so quick and then is brought back into the negatives that it is barely given any time. I'm all for opinions, but to go and buy iPhones and other pieces of technology with the same model structure and then give Sony a hard time for the same thing is a little questionable.

The PS4 works with everything. The PS4 Pro is for people who want more or have a 4K display. Why attack it and bog down your show rather than just say, "yep, that's a thing for some people, but not quite for me"?

Plus the funny thing is, the PS4 reveal Playstation Meeting was almost beat for beat the same. It was more exciting because it was all new stuff, but it was run the exact same way if you go back and watch it. Calling it a press conference isn't quite true.

sikkinixx

No doubt. I love how everyone thinks people should be stoked to deal with a business trip for a lackluster announcement is beyond me. Why Sony didn't just have a few crews set up in various big cities for scheduled hands-on demos for media and "influencers" and just do a Nintendo-direct style announcement is weird.

Neonep

No doubt. I love how everyone thinks people should be stoked to deal with a business trip for a lackluster announcement is beyond me. Why Sony didn't just have a few crews set up in various big cities for scheduled hands-on demos for media and "influencers" and just do a Nintendo-direct style announcement is weird.
Sony could have just made a blog post about this one.

EmiPrime

Wow, the comments about the New 3DS about 22 minutes in. No you can't "Frankenstein" a New 3DS by buying the circle pad pro and an NFC reader, you'd still be missing the screen upgrades, the 3D face tracking and the processor upgrade (that is, all the important stuff). Goldfarb also thought that maybe Sony would put out a $100 add-on for existing PS4 owners to upgrade to the Pro which he acknowledges is "probably technically impossible".

Moneal

Wow, the comments about the New 3DS about 22 minutes in. No you can't "Frankenstein" a New 3DS by buying the circle pad pro and an NFC reader, you'd still be missing the screen upgrades, the 3D face tracking and the processor upgrade (that is, all the important stuff). Goldfarb also thought that maybe Sony would put out a $100 add-on for existing PS4 owners to upgrade to the Pro which he acknowledges is "probably technically impossible".

Obviously they have zero knowledge of the technical aspects of games and consoles.

Top Bottom