• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Some Nobody

.. massively outdated graphics? Nah, that has to be satire. The regular PS4 is a completely fine machine. If you have a 4K TV with HDR support, then I could see a reason to upgrade to the Pro.

But honesty, if you have a PS4 and a 1080p TV, you will be fine until the next generation. I guess that goes against the voice here, but I am taking a wait and see approach on the Pro.

Well, MY post was satire yes. But people are definitely serious about being grateful for the Pro. I'm aware Colin was wrong about the stats, but in terms of my overall stance?

Fuck the Pro. I've spent three years dealing with delays and threadbare games that attempt to nickel-and-dime me until I've spent $100 or more on a full experience and now I'm supposed to be excited about a revision to a console I don't really feel like I've gotten my money's worth on in the first place? You good, fam.

At the rate games are being pushed back it'll be 2019 or so before I finally have a proper library, so just go ahead and pencil me in for the PS5...when it has games I want to play. :p I came into this generation with so much optimism and hope for the future, but honestly I look at the Pro and realize 36 months later I could've fucking waited because its not like I would've missed a gigantic crop of games in that time period. I own like six PS4 games and there's probably just over a dozen (14 or 15) that I still want but didn't feel worth full MSRP. Not really a ton of titles when this thing launched in November of 2013.

Of course, my stance is different from Colin's who insists he finds new games to play every month.

Elandyll

Banned
Personally agree with him.

Think the pro is pointless move. If you want one, more power too you.

If they released another next year would you be pleased about that too?

PS4 just produced the best looking game ever 3 years into its stride. Its completely unnecessary.
That's up to you in the end, but what is "unnecessary" in releasing a mid-gen upgrade that allows to take advantage (yes the lack of a UHD drive is a fuck up) of a brand new TV standard that is ramping up and offering people willing to pay for it a possibly substantial (though not gen breaking) upgrade?

What is so hard to understand in having a PS4 with more than twice the GPU power, faster CPU, mostly hardware coded 4K*pr mode that seems to push at least 50% more pixels and uses a form of upscale that'll allow for near 4K games with a $399 console in 2016, while implementing a better Wifi, 1Tb HDD and a 3rd USB port, and likely enough GPU power leftover for graphic improvements (or fps) whether in the 1080 or 4K PS4P modes?
And all that while remaining compatible and not splitting the userbase?

Not planning on upgrading to 4K, and being satisfied with my PS4 atm myself, but (aside from the lack of UHD drive which to me was a fuck up) it looks to me that between a $299 slim (slightly too high imo) which is still the most powerful console atm but now cheaper, slimmer, quieter and running cooler, and a $399 Pro with near native 4K gaming, Sony has a pretty darn compelling case to make this fall...

RPGam3r

You people are fucking nuts. You don't have to defend Sony for the misstep that is the PS4 Pro. Hell, maybe it'll be very successful but I doubt it, especially since 4K still won't be mainstream even by 2019.

I disagree with Colin a lot, a lot , but he isn't wrong here. Sure he may not have got 100% of the facts right in the episode, but it's not like it's scripted. Hell, he isn't even a journalist anymore as he himself admits, he is a pundit.

Its amazing the selective memory that some people have, but we went through seven years of last gen without something like the Pro. Sure, people bitched and PC elitists were having field days in the last 2-3 years of the gen, but whatever data Sony got that said gamers move on from console to PC late in a generation obviously wasn't significant or permanent effect based on the incredible sales of both the PS4 and Xbone.

I don't know, I feel that both Sony and Microsoft would be better off with fully backwards compatible 9th gen console in a few years rather than wasting resources on what they are doing now. We've never had anything similar to the Pro being successful (and no, the GBC is not like the Pro, it was a new system with exclusive games).

Bit early to call something a misstep? Also that's not how the world works, "we've never had/needed thing there for its not needed" spits in the face of progress and innovation.

Bit early to call something a misstep? Also that's not how the world works, "we've never had/needed thing there for its not needed" spits in the face of progress and innovation.
This is neither progress nor innovation. That would be a 9th gen console and not a marketing tool for Sony's 4K TVs.

You people are fucking nuts. You don't have to defend Sony for the misstep that is the PS4 Pro. Hell, maybe it'll be very successful but I doubt it, especially since 4K still won't be mainstream even by 2019.

Why are we "fucking nuts" for "defending Sony's misstep" when you can't even be sure about your own opinion that it's somehow going to bite Sony in the ass. Seems to me that even you, at least subconsciously agree that there is an argument to be made that this is in fact a completely valid way for them to go.

This is neither progress nor innovation. That would be a 9th gen console and not a marketing tool for Sony's 4K TVs.

Giving consumers a reason to adopt 4K and HDR is exactly what progress and innovation entails.

How did this turn into politics yikes.

giphy.gif

Talking in circles pretty much now, but it's been a fun ride. The show next week should be even more juicy!

Small confession, I've been without a PS4 for two weeks so this is much more time I dedicate to posting than normal, but I think once good games pick up again we'll be in a much more positive mood overall. We were originally supposed to be playing FF15 this month -_- but I'll wait for the Pro version anyway.

An attempt to brighten up the thread. That game Far point looked really great, and I think it might be hard to go back to OG PS4VR once you play it with Pro. At first I'm mainly getting my Pro early in anticipation of VR, but honestly I think TR will be the first game to show it off well. Verendus himself stated it will be mostly first party studios that take the most advantages of it, but man I was really looking forward to Gran Turismo on it.

GTS in 4K though!! 😵😵

I think VR is pretty important to Pro's success, more so than 4K and HDR even, at least initially.

What was with that guy writing in saying he can't play his digital games when the network is down. When have you ever not been able to do that? And how were Colin and Andy so unsure about it?

Curufinwe

I disagree with Colin a lot, a lot , but he isn't wrong here. Sure he may not have got 100% of the facts right in the episode, but it's not like it's scripted. Hell, he isn't even a journalist anymore as he himself admits, he is a pundit.

Its amazing the selective memory that some people have, but we went through seven years of last gen without something like the Pro. Sure, people bitched and PC elitists were having field days in the last 2-3 years of the gen, but whatever data Sony got that said gamers move on from console to PC late in a generation obviously wasn't significant or permanent effect based on the incredible sales of both the PS4 and Xbone.

It was significant in that they lost sales in the last few years of the PS3 generation, and so when the opportunity arose to release a more powerful version of their next console at the magic $399 price point that could mitigate that issue in this generation, they smartly took advantage of it. The PS4 Pro makes games look and run better whether you have a 4K TV or not.

I think your disconnect from the reality of the market is best shown by the laughable claim that the Xbone had incredible sales. Its sales are so poor MS stopped giving out sales numbers.

This thread seem to have gotten worse after Colin generalized most comments. The discussion has switched from "This is what you said and why it is wrong" to "You are wrong and these are your negative traits."

The latter is still a valid criticism for a [gaming] journalist(?) or entertainer. This is a thread about a podcast, it would be silly to shame people for criticizing a host about how their mannerism on the podcast and when addressing criticism.

But we are all (including myself) now focused on an entirely different topic and issue: how Colin used a broad brush to discredit a lot of users in this thread. And it is disgusting that it seems like he never truly wanted to engage with anyone. I would understand if he said, "Hey there are a lot of comments and feedback and I'm getting overwhelmed with deciphering through them all." But to label the majority of posts as vitriol is a deflection.

Also using the argument "It's just a video game/console" is so odd when your livelihood is to discuss video games, and you do so passionately.

Mass criticism at once is hard to handle, but you can voice this concern and challenge and ask if one person could consolidate issues with the podcast and have the thread agree on it (this thread was civil when listing issues). I'm assuming this is the reason why you deflected. I feel for you dude (in this regard), I have my issues with some of your mannerism and attitudes, but I understand having 100+ posts addressing issues concerning to you doesn't make anyone want to wake up from bed. But if you decide to engage with GAF and this thread at least respect the people that went out of their way to provide valid criticism in hopes of improving a podcast they enjoy.
Agree completely With this, the discussion has now changed in reaction to colins final post.

The worst part is we now have posters doing what Colin did and generalising every post to be personal attacks when 99% were civil and reasonable.

Also it seems some people are under the assumption that any form of criticism is wrong. As long as people aren't going off on tangents and are reacting to the matter at hand which the vast majority were there is nothing wrong with trying to start a conversation about the points raised.

But it seems we have now reached a point where some people are going to drive the narrative that the discussion was always bad and full of personal attacks when it clearly wasn't the case.

It was significant in that they lost sales in the last few years of the PS3 generation, and so when the opportunity arose to release a more powerful version of their next console at the magic $399 price point they smartly took advantage of it. The PS4 Pro makes games look and run better whether you have a 4K TV or not.

I think your disconnect from the reality of the market is best shown by the laughable claim that the Xbone had incredible sales. Its sales are so poor MS stopped giving out sales numbers.
The sales are higher for both consoles than their predecessors over a similar time frame. Graphics aren't the end all be all. Most of the market doesn't really care.

Last gen went on 1 1/2 to 2 years too long because of The Great Recession. This gen doesn't need to last more than 5 to 5 1/2 years.

Man, I find Goldfarb is so fucking boring to listen to when it's just two people. Please bring Greg back!

Decent episode overall and the majority of Colin's comments are regarding Sony's messaging –– they haven't offered clarity with respect to the purpose of the PS4 Pro from a gameplay perspective.

timberger

Very convenient that Colin is so very upset by all of the "hate" comments that he now gets to play martyr and avoid having to address the many posts with completely valid critiques that he was asking for previously.

The sales are higher for both consoles than their predecessors over a similar time frame. Graphics aren't the end all be all. Most of the market doesn't really care.

I think I heard that exact argument thrown around back when the PS4 came out. How "these next gen consoles" only had "marginally better graphics and nothing else", and that no one would buy them because of that.

I thought about calling you out on how you could possibly know what "the market" cares or doesn't care about, but really, here's the crux of the matter: A whole lot of people who are a whole lot smarter than you or I together came to the conclusion that this was in fact a good idea. So let's at least give them the benefit of the doubt on this matter, and wait it out.

Last gen went on 1 1/2 to 2 years too long because of The Great Recession. This gen doesn't need to last more than 5 to 5 1/2 years.

And it probably won't. Gens generally shift around some type of hardware shift. We had one recently, and from what I've been told on this forum, we're due another one in 2019. So the PS5, or whatever that will be, will probably drop somewhere soon after that.

Bluenoser

I don't know, I feel that both Sony and Microsoft would be better off with fully backwards compatible 9th gen console in a few years rather than wasting resources on what they are doing now. We've never had anything similar to the Pro being successful (and no, the GBC is not like the Pro, it was a new system with exclusive games).

Enthusiast circles aren't indicative of the greater market. Just because a potential majority of Gaffers may have 4K by 2018 doesn't mean the same will apply to the market. At best it's 2025 before 4K has 50% saturation.

Except Colin thinks what MS is doing is perfectly fine. This is one of the holes in his argument, and one that people have pointed out many times, but he refuses to debate.

Jonboy

Yeah, after listening to the show, some of the reactions here are pretty over the top. And I say that as someone who largely disagrees with Colin on the Pro. Most of what I'm hearing on the podcast is opinion-based...which is frankly why I listen to the show anyway. I hold Greg and Colin's options in very high regard.

Personally, the one aspect of the discussion I would prefer them to seek more clarity on is the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro comparisons.

This may be helpful:

PS4 Pro
CPU: x86-64 AMD 'Jaguar', 8 cores single-chip custom processor (upclock is assumed 2.1GHz)
GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon based graphics engine

Xbox One S
CPU: 1.75GHz AMD 8-core APU
GPU: 914 MHz AMD Radeon GCN

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/games...one-s-vs-ps4-pro-console-wars-part-two-begins

Just for comparison, here's the standard PS4.

PS4
CPU: 1.6 GHz AMD 8-core APU
GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon based graphics engine

I think they need to invite someone like Leadbetter to the show.

This is a good idea. I suggested someone from Sony, as they listen to the show. Leadbetter would be great as well. Both Greg and Colin admit this as area where they aren't the strongest. They've never claimed to be experts on graphics or the technical side of gaming. For 99% of the discussion and content they put out, they don't need to be. They're incredibly knowledgeable of the industry, its trends, gameplay elements, devs/dev cycles, etc. They're also fantastic hosts who have an unrivaled rapport with one another.

In my opinion, discussing a product like the Pro is that 1%. It's that moment when you do need someone with a bit more technical knowledge to come in and dissect the minutiae of the PS4, Xbox, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, & Scorpio. I mean...the tech itself literally is the discussion here. It's helpful to talk in terms of pure, raw specs, and then break it down into simpler terms for how it would affect the more casual audience who isn't as dialed-in to graphics and performance. What benefits will they be able to see and feel? A tech guy from Sony and/or Leadbetter could probably have a fantastic discussion with Colin and Greg, which would result in a great show.

While I may not personally agree with some of their opinions on the Pro/Scorpio, I have no problem with them voicing them. I just wish they came from a little bit more of an informed place on the tech side, in the case of the PS4 Pro.

The personal/political attacks have no place here.

Some Nobody

Very convenient that Colin is so very upset by all of the "hate" comments that he now gets to play martyr and avoid having to address the many posts with completely valid critiques that he was asking for previously.

I dunno. He was wrong about some stuff but honestly arguing with two or three people can be overwhelming. I can't imagine what it's like when it's two or three dozen, lol.

Cyriades

Why can't he ignore what he considers "hate posts" as easily as he's ignoring the posts with valid criticism about what he said on the show?

Simple and to the point!

I never watched Kinda funny.. but to see what all the fuss is about I checked out the two episodes in question here. In the last episode(52) it was bad .. the two guys was just ragging on PS4 Pro.. I was like damn.

Too be honest they do need a person on the show that understand game design and how a better performing system affect gameplay. Greg is not someone that will call out Colin.. they try to avoid arguments. Colin reminds me of a friend who really doesn't like new games.. my friend feels old school games are the best and newer games are nothing but graphics.

Again, most of the criticism against Colin is not because he feels it is a mis-step or an unforced error. That is his opinion and he is entitled to that. There are people who disagree with his opinion but that is the way a forum/internet works.

The majority of the criticism has been the following:

1. Saying the Xbox one S and PS4 Pro are more alike than PS4 Pro Scorpio (which is false as the Xbox One S isn't even as powerful as the OG PS4)
2. Ignoring Shadows of Mordor as a game that is possible on PS4 but not PS3.
3. Going on his rant against power and then being excited for Bioshock Remastered.
4. Being anti PS4 Pro but Pro Scorpio when the Scorpio and PS4 Pro are closer in power than the PS4 Pro and PS4. (and that is all theoretical. We know nothing about the Scorpio
).
5. There is no excitement for the PS4 Pro. It's the #1 pre-order on Amazon.
These are facts he is wrong about, and people are just merely trying to point it out especially since his voice is heard by 1000s of people every week.

<joke>If I wanted Uninformed Opinions, I'd listen to Wombat and Christian Spicer.</joke>

Cyriades

PlayStation Pro is tearing us apart.
Majority of people want it.

Its more to do with Kinda Funny Podcast and other media like them that can influence people by giving out opinionated conversation about things they admitted know nothing about.

I've listened to the latest podcast and the one before and his Colin Moriarty guy is ridiculous.

He keeps using the same tired cliches of "what can new consoles bring and Pro is nothing new to the table"

He said all PS4 games can be done on last gen...lol an absurd thing to say.

Witcher 3?, Bloodborne?, Just Cause 3?, FFXV? Yes you can say every game is possible on last gen but they'd be scaled back to a point where the gameplay would be nothing like it is and would greatly suffer as a result.

The extra hardware power has brought with it games that are bigger and better in scope and more in line with how the developer wants them and yes this affects the gameplay to a large degree not just graphics! Can you imagine playing something like The Witcher 3 on last gen? Or ESO?

Listening to this guy he doesn't have a clue about generational leaps.

Aces&Eights

My biggest gripe is how Collin argues that more power doesn't make games better, that just having prettier graphics do not make a game more fun. I agree with the graphics part but more power can also be used to make more on screen physics occur, more enemies on screen with better animations, AI that doesn't just walk a pattern and run into walls, etc.

If Bloodborne 2 came out, I could not care less about better graphics but if the system had more horsepower that allowed the devs to put in crazier enemies with insane animations and hordes of skeletons that could all act independent of each other, or have boss battles where you had really upgraded physics on the walls breaking down, ceiling falling in as you fight, etc, I would be all over it.

More power doesn't just mean prettier trees and skyboxes. Devs could choose to use it to really make gameplay improve.

killroy87

I've listened to the latest podcast and the one before and his Colin Moriarty guy is ridiculous.

He keeps using the same tired cliches of "what can new consoles bring and Pro is nothing new to the table"

He said all PS4 games can be done on last gen...lol an absurd thing to say.

Witcher 3?, Bloodborne?, Just Cause 3?, FFXV? Yes you can say every game is possible on last gen but they'd be scaled back to a point where the gameplay would be nothing like it is and would greatly suffer as a result.

The extra hardware power has brought with it games that are bigger and better in scope and more in line with how the developer wants them and yes this affects the gameplay to a large degree not just graphics! Can you imagine playing something like The Witcher 3 on last gen? Or ESO?

Listening to this guy he doesn't have a clue about generational leaps.

Yeah, exactly. Like, sure, I suppose in the most literal sense these games can be done on PS3, but to what degree do you really think The Witcher 3 can exist on that console and still be considered "The Witcher 3"?

It's an insanely dumb argument, that does an incredible disservice to the work that devs put into making games better and better.

imBask

Banned
Don't you worry, they will have their time next year, when reality collides with all those Scorpio dreams and hopes. ;)

Disclaimer: not saying it will be bad!

Colin will use the same arguments against Scorpio at that point and this thread will praise him for it and talk about how right he is

reson8or

I feel Colin's point is salient, however I believe that the real reason PS Pro makes no sense is people are comparing it to Scorpio.

PS4 Pro is NOT meant to compete with the Scorpio, its meant to compete with the One S.

There is a $50 difference between the two (not including sales). Where as MS have give people a new media player smaller profile and marginal spec bump, the Pro give players much much more. IT MAKES YOUR GAMES RUN and LOOK BETTER.

Now. If your Joe consumer in the store and deciding which console to get, the 1S or Pro, personally I would go with the Pro unless I absolutely needed a 4KUHD Blu-ray player.

jmaine_ph

I feel Colin's point is salient, however I believe that the real reason PS Pro makes no sense is people are comparing it to Scorpio.

PS4 Pro is NOT meant to compete with the Scorpio, its meant to compete with the One S.

There is a $50 difference between the two (not including sales). Where as MS have give people a new media player smaller profile and marginal spec bump, the Pro give players much much more. IT MAKES YOUR GAMES RUN and LOOK BETTER.

Now. If your Joe consumer in the store and deciding which console to get, the 1S or Pro, personally I would go with the Pro unless I absolutely needed a 4KUHD Blu-ray player.

I been trying to say this for the longest but people hear spec boost and automatically compare it to the Scorpio.

I'm of the assumption that Scorpio was a reaction to the Pro and that's why they are going all out for it.

killroy87

...No, it's absolutely going to be compared to the Scorpio.

The PS4 Slim should be compared to the One S. The only difference between those two is the One S' ability to play in HDR, which affects about 5% of the gaming population (I don't have science on that Number, but I'm pretty confident).

I have never understood this line of thinking. The Xbox One S and PS4 slim should be compared because they are what slim revisions have been in the past, the PS4 slim even more so. Cost cutting, smaller revisions that may or may not omit certain features like the optical audio out on PS4 slim etc.

The reason the Xbox One S is being compared to PS4 Pro is because it can upscale games to 4K and has a feature (4K blu-ray drive) that the PS4 Pro does not.

But comparing the Xbox One S to the PS4 Pro is pure nonsense. PS4 Pro is much powerful and it isn't a fair comparison. In any event, Scorpio and PS4 Pro should be having shootouts.

Bulby

The PS4 Slim should be compared to the One S. The only difference between those two is the One S' ability to play in HDR, which affects about 5% of the gaming population (I don't have science on that Number, but I'm pretty confident).

This is why you are missing Collins arguement.

PS4 Pro is an iteration of the PS4. It will play the same games, but run/look better.

Scorpio WILL be the next gen Xbox. He believe (as do I) that MS is ditching the Xbox one, it is carrying far too much baggage and always will. It is only a matter of time before the Xbox one support is dropped completely. They did it to the OG Xbox and they can do it again.

Xbox S + Playstation Pro, play the same games as their namesake's, just better.

Scorpio will be a completely new platform.

That is the difference.

Yo great gamecast topic today! I had not heard of most of those games and Y2K (on Vita!!) looks really awesome!

The Easy Allies need to come over and talk to KF about FOR HONOR, though. How could you not be hyped!?!?

Jmille99

This is why you are missing Collins arguement.

PS4 Pro is an iteration of the PS4. It will play the same games, but run/look better.

Scorpio WILL be the next gen Xbox. He believe (as do I) that MS is ditching the Xbox one, it is carrying far too much baggage and always will. It is only a matter of time before the Xbox one support is dropped completely. They did it to the OG Xbox and they can do it again.

Xbox S + Playstation Pro, play the same games as their namesake's, just better.

Scorpio will be a completely new platform.

That is the difference.

Can you point where Microsoft has said this? Everything Ive seen states there will be no exclusives (outside VR?) and run the same games just better, similar to what Ps4 Pro is going to do.

Bulby

Can you point where Microsoft has said this? Everything Ive seen states there will be no exclusives (outside VR?) and run the same games just better, similar to what Ps4 Pro is going to do.

I will bet you, I dont know what, just my word, that this will happen. Do not believe PR. If you have ever learnt anything about video game PR, it is - do. not. believe. it.

Its fucking video games.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

The PS4 slim can play games in HDR too.

Top Bottom