• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Smoothing is like blurring the screen. I leave it off, I played a good amount of PC games in software mode, so I enjoy the sharp pixeled textures. In regards to Quake 2, I feel it looks more detailed with smoothing off.

i tried it and didn't like it. i'm sticking to no smoothing for psx games.

on another note: realized resident evil arranged mode is much harder than i thought.
i freakin died twice and running out of ink ribbon. (after playing original to death, i didn't think i'll ever die) those spiders in the dorm are hard to kill. going to have to re-start way back and give it another go tonight

televator

i tried it and didn't like it. i'm sticking to no smoothing for psx games.

on another note: realized resident evil arranged mode is much harder than i thought.
i freakin died twice and running out of ink ribbon. (after playing original to death, i didn't think i'll ever die) those spiders in the dorm are hard to kill. going to have to re-start way back and give it another go tonight

REmake is about picking your fights. You would run out of everything if you stopped to fight every single enemy. IDK if the PS1/Saturn original is the same like that though.

REmake is about picking your fights. You would run out of everything if you stopped to fight every single enemy. IDK if the PS1/Saturn original is the same like that though.

yeah, i think REmake is difficult.

i recently got a copy of psx non dual shock director's cut. playin Chris on arranged mode w/o extra ammo trick. and thought it was easy since i'm very familier w/ the game (what to avoid etc,) but the enemies and item location are placed differently. so chris' short inventory comes into major play.

MattyH

I've got the opportunity to pick up a audiophile Ps1 I normally use my ps2 for ps1 games but I like using original hardware if possible is it worth picking up even if the laser isn't too good

alf717

I've got the opportunity to pick up a audiophile Ps1 I normally use my ps2 for ps1 games but I like using original hardware if possible is it worth picking up even if the laser isn't too good

Without the laser it is pretty much useless. Unless you are using PSIO. You could swap out the 100X laser with a BAM laser from a 10X unit. Just remember if you do this to swap the original 100X unit's black lid with the grey one of the 10X BAM laser.

MattyH

Without the laser it is pretty much useless. Unless you are using PSIO. You could swap out the 100X laser with a BAM laser from a 10X unit. Just remember if you do this to swap the original 100X unit's black lid with the grey one of the 10X BAM laser.

i have no idea on the condition of the laser only had a quick glance at it this morning while i was out

televator

The PS1 is an incredibly simple console. A child could disassemble and reassemble the system. Changing the laser should be cake.

wow, maybe i need to learn how to take apart my psx at my mom's place. i think i have to turn it upside down to boot.

anyways, i continued re1 director's cut last night went back to a previous save to rework getting back to the part i died. i ran out of ink ribbons to save because i'm habitually used doing the under 3 hour run w/ Chris' limited inventory in original mode. i have it down pat which items to skip, especially certain ink ribbons that waste space and time to unload.. Big mistake in arranged mode... there's no ink ribbons where they're supposed to be and much rarer to come by.

redoing and backtracking reminds me of the joy of first time playing re1. all the trouble of item management and when to use saves. i'm un-learning my 3 hour run habits and playing the game like it's brand new. the game is pure joy. bringing back the original tension: what to take and what not to take... while dying in the process for not taking enough herbs and backtracking bc i mismanaged my ammo.

if anyone is a resident evil one fan and had not played director's cut, i wholly recommend grabbing a non dual shock double disc edition alf717 mentioned on ebay=)
it's the most retro fun i had in a while.

the second game i started but for ps2 is shadow of destiny. i'll post thoughts as i get deeper on the ps2 thread =)

MattyH

Well the laser seems to be fine played a good 4 or so hours on resi evil 1 and a bit of ridge racer need to get a dual shock pad next

i recently got a copy of psx non dual shock director's cut. playin Chris on arranged mode w/o extra ammo trick. and thought it was easy since i'm very familier w/ the game (what to avoid etc,) but the enemies and item location are placed differently. so chris' short inventory comes into major play.

It's a great way to mix things up and the arrange mode feels distinctly different for veteran players of RE1. There are even some alternate camera angles thrown in!

It's a great way to mix things up and the arrange mode feels distinctly different for veteran players of RE1. There are even some alternate camera angles thrown in!

i'm having a blast. i'm slowly getting past the dormitory and basement but i died again. the one unexpected bump is how much damage the spiders can take. wasted a whole case of shotgun shells just to off 1. i'm just running past them from now on...

blanco21

Came across a nice (modded) psone without a power cable, bought it because i remember reading on here that this remodel lasts forever (iirc). Had a question though - seems a psp charger/adapter would power this, do you recommend trying that at all or would I risk damaging the system? Any recommendations where to buy a legit one?

BearChair

This isn't addressed in the OP, and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'd like to get back into playing PS games mostly out of nostalgia, and I have a plastic bin full of them in my parents' basement.

However, I missed out on the PS2 era of games because that's when I got into PC gaming.

So if I wanted to get a PS2 to experience all of these games I missed and replay my PS1 collection what's the best option. I'd also like to be able to play import games.

Does someone sell refurbished PS2s already with a mod chip these days? Is there a better alternative to playing all of these games on one console?

kaiju

Picked up The Mystic Dragoons (no relation to Legend of Dragoon) and happy to see the design works book included.

032_zpscdkmrq0b.jpg
It features fantastic art by Sachiko Kamimura, here are a few pages:

taking a break from playing re1 director's cut just now, finally got passed the dorms tonight and got the helmet key. went back to the mansion and got wasted by some re arranged hunters... having fun but screw this, i'll continue it another day. don't want to redo from my last save tonight.

Peagles

I really want to like Ghoul Panic but the constant res switching and awful loading times are getting in the way.

And now my disc locks up after every round, halp me david!

I really want to like Ghoul Panic but the constant res switching and awful loading times are getting in the way.

And now my disc locks up after every round, halp me david!

are scratches culprit? anyways, let me finish getting out the scratches on the other half of that damaged sample CD i posted and i'll post pics of brand materials i exactly used on it =)

Peagles

are scratches culprit? anyways, let me finish getting out the scratches on the other half of that damaged sample CD i posted and i'll post pics of brand materials i exactly used on it =)

I was playing in the dark but I'll go check it now that it's morning!

Could just need a good clean!

Although I might enlist your help soon for another disc I have, it looks like it has a small puncture mark in it. But I'll meet you in the Gamecube thread for that :)

Edit: Yep it's scratched. More like gouges really. I've tried taking a pic but it just looks like I'm holding a little round mirror lol.

I was playing in the dark but I'll go check it now that it's morning!

Could just need a good clean!

Although I might enlist your help soon for another disc I have, it looks like it has a small puncture mark in it. But I'll meet you in the Gamecube thread for that :)

Edit: Yep it's scratched. More like gouges really. I've tried taking a pic but it just looks like I'm holding a little round mirror lol.

hey peagles, i just finished taking off the scatches on the whole CD, let me forward this and post some pics on the retroGAF thread where i did the first half.

if you have any questions: pm me, it's really not very hard. it took me about 30 mins to do.

Edit: ok just finished and posted a good write up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=194440953#post194440953

some imports I tried yesterday:

Speed Power Gunbike is not nearly as cool as the title would suggest. very clunky game+boring. probably won't touch it again. anyone wanna buy a copy? it's a really good game, I just don't have the time to play it.

Gungage seems alright and probably controls decently enough once you get used to it, but it has the craziest control scheme ever--tank controls gone horribly wrong. It's a third person shooter.

D-pad up and down: move forward and back. kinda laggy feeling because you have to build some momentum.

D-pad left and right: aim cursor

L1+R1: walk left and right

R2 free aims, but normally you only sweep the cursor on the X-axis and auto-aim locks on flying enemies. I used free aim to shoot boxes that were under the height of the cursor, which a lot of them are.

oh and all the enemies are either flying or crawling, so nothing ever enters your cursor.

tumblr_l1wsx1R94S1qzmowao1_500.jpg

Despite all that, I'm compelled to try it again.

i'm having a blast. i'm slowly getting past the dormitory and basement but i died again. the one unexpected bump is how much damage the spiders can take. wasted a whole case of shotgun shells just to off 1. i'm just running past them from now on...

Yeah, the spiders a fairly easy to just avoid. You'll just need to keep some blue herbs in your chest, just in case.

^ i just beat the venom snake boss second time right now where he opens up a hole in the ground. After i beat it w/ Chris i jumped down the hole and died by 2 hunters.... damn! it used to be just zombies down there. ugh... got to do it again.
i'm tempted to use the unlimited magnum ammo spawn glitch but then it'll break the game and be too easy. i've been toughing it out w/o double the ammo secret option. but damn, there's a lot of hunters in the house.

^ i just beat the venom snake boss second time right now where he opens up a hole in the ground. After i beat it w/ Chris i jumped down the hole and died by 2 hunters.... damn! it used to be just zombies down there. ugh... got to do it again.
i'm tempted to use the unlimited magnum ammo spawn glitch but then it'll break the game and be too easy. i've been toughing it out w/o double the ammo secret option. but damn, there's a lot of hunters in the house.

Arrange Mode is tough! I remember barely completing it many years ago. What's the magnum ammo glitch? Don't think I've done that before.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I keep mixing up Silent Bomber and Trap Gunner. I have Silent Bomber (uh... at least, I think it's Silent Bomber), but I haven't opened it.

Arrange Mode is tough! I remember barely completing it many years ago. What's the magnum ammo glitch? Don't think I've done that before.

after getting the red eye jewel and placing it in the tiger statue w/ the 3 cases of magnum appearing, if you don't grab all 3x but only one and leave the room, when re-entering the magnum ammo re-spawns. you can keep going in and out grabbing an unlimited supply.

i made an extra save on the side in my memory card in case i get tempted to cheat. lol
yes, it's been pretty challenging w/o using and cheats or help. it's so tough bc i can't carry health and ammo plus leaving space to pick up new area items.

i'm going to try again tonight =)

cj_iwakura

This is a long shot, but does anyone have a disc only copy of SotN? A friend gave me an immaculate case and book, and I've always wanted a copy.

AmyS

Early Tekken 3 Arcade - PlayStation upgrade rumors - Tekken 3 on PS1 ( look mom, no hardware upgrade! )

cffiSsF.jpg
9YqvArP.jpg

qUgNKhI.jpg
u0YvbZb.jpg

UCxq9Zk.jpg
A8fYmfV.jpg

ykqZI1n.jpg
34sbHa6.jpg

mRmgauf.jpg
K14AlPI.jpg

[edit: added the next EGM rumor-report on Playstation Type C]

Agyd0GG.jpg
anXvjcY.jpg
4au08Z6.jpg

Edit:

Heh, dunno know why I didn't realize this a long time ago, but even if that PlayStation Type C rumor had turned out to be 100% true, with Sony bringing out a RAM upgrade for PS1 that plugged into one of the ports on the back (lets pretend the I/O port had enough bandwidth) as well as a standalone console with all the RAM built in plus a 4x speed CD drive, as far as Tekken 3 is concerned, that still would not have allowed a 100% arcade perfect port of the System 12 version.

Why? Obviously, a RAM upgrade & standalone console with it built in doesn't address the main thing about System 12, it was 50% more powerful (48 MHz CPU) than System 11 / PS1 (33 MHz CPU). LOL, the whole idea was ridiculous.

The entire problem was solved!
PS2 Tekken 5 with Arcade History mode !!!

after getting the red eye jewel and placing it in the tiger statue w/ the 3 cases of magnum appearing, if you don't grab all 3x but only one and leave the room, when re-entering the magnum ammo re-spawns. you can keep going in and out grabbing an unlimited supply.

i made an extra save on the side in my memory card in case i get tempted to cheat. lol
yes, it's been pretty challenging w/o using and cheats or help. it's so tough bc i can't carry health and ammo plus leaving space to pick up new area items.

i'm going to try again tonight =)

Nice! I gotta remember that for another time!

AmyS

Me too! Funny to read about this so called PlayStation 1.5 Type C!

No doubt because of EGM, it sparked some internet discussion during '97. Even gaming sites acknowledged the rumor, and/or questioned if Tekken 3 on PS1 would need a RAM expansion / upgrade.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tekken-3-the-arrival/1100-2466507/

June 23, 1997

According to sources at Namco, Tekken 3 will be released on the PlayStation in both the US and Japan simultaneously.

The game, which was curiously absent from last week's E3, was announced for the PlayStation at the Tokyo Game Show last April. The current release date on the game falls in December - just before Christmas.

At this time, it is not known whether the game will require a RAM upgrade or if it will be ported missing a few details from the arcade game.

Next Generation Tekken 3 arcade preview and review.

Top Bottom