• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
These are so great. Their videos are just pure info, complete and concise. It's like a nerdy GAF thread distilled into a video form.

Definitely. It's nice to see actual useful content like that instead of the typical Gamefaqs-esque shit that there's way too much of out there.

Danny Dudekisser

Like those "omg rage this sucks" style videos, or something else?

I dislike:

- "omg rage this sucks"
- Metal Jesus Tells You a Bunch of Shit You Already Know
- Here's a comparison between things where I used the wrong equipment, making it useless and uninformed
- That punchable-looking kid who always has his mouth open in the image for his videos, like he's gawking at something.

I like:
- videos like the one in question here
- Classic Game Room
- Retro Core
- Game Sack

how the hell is there extra dithering on ps3 off disc? lol
yeah weird.

Seems like the comparison is true. Both with smoothing off captured at 720p with the El Gato cable so it'll be slightly blurry compared to straight HDMI but the difference is noticable still.
Download:
3F0nSLp.png

Disk:
iIZ7ytl.png

Download:
1TKtr44.png

Disk:
NOD2HIR.png

thank for the shots InfiniteNine =)

Teknoman

I dislike:

- "omg rage this sucks"
- Here's a comparison between things where I used the wrong equipment, making it useless and uninformed
- That punchable-looking kid who always has his mouth open in the image for his videos, like he's gawking at something.

I like:
- Classic Game Room
- Retro Core
- Game Sack

Sounds fair to me. lol I want to know who that kid is now though.

I think he's talking about AVGN.

Love Classic Game Room. Not necessarily the most informative show on YT, but you've gotta love Mark's attitude. He's just having fun.

Danny Dudekisser

I think he's talking about AVGN.

Love Classic Game Room. Not necessarily the most informative show on YT, but you've gotta love Mark's attitude. He's just having fun.

No. AVGN is fine. I thought his shtick was entertaining for a while, so whatever. It's also kind of the original "I'm angry about shit!" show about games, so it gets a free pass. Unlike that fat dude that rants about shit.

I can't seem to find the punchable kid I was talking about. I searched for "punchable face piece of shit," but just got a bunch of videos of Ted Cruz. Point is, I think I actively dislike like 99% of people who put gaming stuff on Youtube. Unless it's *actually* funny, informative, or just fun, I don't see the point. But kids like sitting there, watching Pewdiepie, like a bunch of fucking invalids, so what do I know?

I've always seen AVGN as a show, but he does have interesting history interspersed with the act, especially in the later eps. Got me interested in obscure game history stuff, I guess.

also, some examples of the face (the first guy is actually parodying it according to clicking through to the vid, but I could only stand 10 seconds of his vid about the phenomenon ):

It's usually more shocked/surprised looking, but I know what you mean, it's weird. I just remind myself they're shooting for the kid audience.

IrishNinja

I dislike:

- "omg rage this sucks"

I like:
- Classic Game Room
- Retro Core
- Game Sack

dear diary

today i learned that someone else had my exact internet show preferences! maybe i'll find love yet~

ps i wonder if DJ chac also thinks tgwtg/nostalgiacritic type gawking stuff have highly punchable faces as well

I've always seen AVGN as a show, but he does have interesting history interspersed with the act, especially in the later eps. Got me interested in obscure game history stuff, I guess.

It's usually more shocked/surprised looking, but I know what you mean, it's weird. I just remind myself they're shooting for the kid audience.

I agree with the first part. And yeah these are irritating

ixrXvTN.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

The second one! That second picture is the guy I was referring to. That said, I could see myself kind of hating all of them.

I don't understand why creating content about games necessitates being obnoxious. I kinda get why Mark was ready to hang things up with Classic Game Room before Patreon. Why bother if all you're doing is appealing to the lowest common denominator?

koopas

Decided to bust out my (modest) PS1 collection as I'm currently playing through Shadow Hearts and thought I'd run through Koudelka at the same time. I have a huge PS2 collection but my PS1 is sorta light:

Jd3Urlc.jpg

Is this release the same as the original longbox? I believe it is

yeah they're the same great original version, i had both(long box and CD jewel) at different points. (there's the directors cut w/ rearranged music that destroys the mood when the dogs jump out the glass... no tension at all)

Teknoman

I don't like those kind of thumbnails!

These and the rage video thumbnails drive me crazy

The second one! That second picture is the guy I was referring to. That said, I could see myself kind of hating all of them.

I don't understand why creating content about games necessitates being obnoxious. I kinda get why Mark was ready to hang things up with Classic Game Room before Patreon. Why bother if all you're doing is appealing to the lowest common denominator?

I see now, and completely agree. Not sure why, but those doofy thumbnails just really bother me too. On the other hand, I dont really mind Metal Jesus' stuff. CGR, My Life in Gaming, 16 bit gems, Turbo Views, Strafefox's Splash Wave, Bullet Heaven, and Michael B The Game Genie are probably my most regular watched channels.

jonno394

Just played an hour of xenogears on my psp and got to say, The Art style and visuals are a joy to behold! Any other games on the psx utilize something similar?

Amazing that I never played Resident Evil 1 before or 2 or 3. I probably should at some point.

i've seen the pics posted of your giant collection so i'm sure you have a huge backlog to play but if do find time. highly recommend re1 and 2 given you have the optimal equipment to play the best representation of it =)

alf717

My favorite version RE is the non dual shock director's cut. No rearranged music and it has the original mode and arranged mode. Don't forget to hold right for five seconds for double ammo before selecting arranged mode.

My favorite version RE is the non dual shock director's cut. No rearranged music and it has the original mode and arranged mode. Don't forget to hold right for five seconds for double ammo before selecting arranged mode.

do you have the 5 dollar coupon for resident evil 2? heheh =)

making me jealous, nice grab!

Since I'm in PAL land, this is the only version we have here. It's nice to avoid the terrible rearranged music.

alf717

do you have the 5 dollar coupon for resident evil 2? heheh =)

making me jealous, nice grab!

Yep it still has the coupon. No registration card though. I always send those in. Not clue if they even did anything with them. Funny thing is it is actually more expensive to get a jewel case version of Resident Evil then it is the Director's cut with demo. I priced a jewel case version and it was kind of up there in price.

Teknoman

Just played an hour of xenogears on my psp and got to say, The Art style and visuals are a joy to behold! Any other games on the psx utilize something similar?

That watercolory look? SaGa Frontier II in a way.

EDIT: I always thought reg. cards were how you'd eventually get demos in the mail or promo vhs/dvds.

♫ One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong, ♫
♫ Can you tell which thing is not like the others...

LOL

it's kinda funny cause that's my face when I see that shit too

on topic: I hope my Time Gal/Ninja Hayate gets here today. Japanese imports are always pristine but the boat shipping is rough.

i've seen the pics posted of your giant collection so i'm sure you have a huge backlog to play but if do find time. highly recommend re1 and 2 given you have the optimal equipment to play the best representation of it =)
I'll get around to it eventually. I don't really look at what I have as a backlog, more like, a bunch of games that I'll play when I want to play them. I have 2 digitally from when Sony had it on sale for a dollar.

I'll get around to it eventually. I don't really look at what I have as a backlog, more like, a bunch of games that I'll play when I want to play them. I have 2 digitally from when Sony had it on sale for a dollar.

i have all the sony re's released digitally, love to double dip =), PSN re1 director's cut unfortunately is the version with the butchered music. hopefully you have access to hard copy of the original or director's cut/non dual shock when you get around to giving it a whirl =)

IrishNinja

wait, that pic last page - what game is that with the spider?

I see now, and completely agree. Not sure why, but those doofy thumbnails just really bother me too. On the other hand, I dont really mind Metal Jesus' stuff. CGR, My Life in Gaming, 16 bit gems, Turbo Views, Strafefox's Splash Wave, Bullet Heaven, and Michael B The Game Genie are probably my most regular watched channels.

okay i ride for like 3/4 of those, gotta check out Game Genie & Bullet Heaven, turbo views too!

yup. one of those vids, he was clearly drinking & cussed a bit too, stopped shy of saying "fuckaPewdeePi...i mean who else loves el caminos?!"

Yep it still has the coupon. No registration card though. I always send those in. Not clue if they even did anything with them. Funny thing is it is actually more expensive to get a jewel case version of Resident Evil then it is the Director's cut with demo. I priced a jewel case version and it was kind of up there in price.

screw it! i triple dipped and got another copy of re 1, was cheap on ebay. (have the original jewel and greatest hits at my mom's place) but why the hell not?

i found a sealed copy of megaman 5x buried on my shelf. i was about to throw it out w some trash cd's!!! good thing i caught it, here's a few games that i brought w/ me from my parents.

Af27tRIh.jpg

9RR3yWRh.jpg

Khaz

Wasn't Resident Evil Director's cut made after the Saturn version? I remember something like that: Capcom makes Resident evil for the PS1, ports it to the Saturn with a bunch of extras, then put the extras in a Director's cut for the PS1. Or am I just crazy?

alf717

Did some PSP testing today with a 2001 and component cables. Sadly both test TV don't tell me if the screen is in 240P mode but everything looked real crisp. Test game was Harvest moon and a custom eboot of Mega Man X4.

screw it! i triple dipped and got another copy of re 1, was cheap on ebay. (have the original jewel and greatest hits at my mom's place) but why the hell not?

i found a sealed copy of megaman 5x buried on my shelf. i was about to throw it out w some trash cd's!!! good thing i caught it, here's a few games that i brought w/ me from my parents.

Wow cool find. Good thing you didn't toss out that Mega Man X5.

Wasn't Resident Evil Director's cut made after the Saturn version? I remember something like that: Capcom makes Resident evil for the PS1, ports it to the Saturn with a bunch of extras, then put the extras in a Director's cut for the PS1. Or am I just crazy?

Not sure of the time line but the Sega Saturn version still has the exclusive enemy found in the caves, the battle mode, gold tyrant and Wesker zombie.

R-Type delta, too!
Love that game. i contacted agetec and ordered directly through them bc no one was carrying it at the time

i never knew that. (skipped the saturn system in my youth) i want to check that out.

!!
Game is fantastic.
R-13 is the only ship i can beat the game with.

the anchor force was my only hope.

Did some PSP testing today with a 2001 and component cables. Sadly both test TV don't tell me if the screen is in 240P mode but everything looked real crisp. Test game was Harvest moon and a custom eboot of Mega Man X4.
Wow cool find. Good thing you didn't toss out that Mega Man X5.
i lost my copy of x4, i might've thrown that one out bc i can't find it... been looking for 2 hours, that was my favorite of the X series =)

Picked up another game this month. Down to 19 left for my collection goal for the system.

What I have (pics on my photobucket and posted not that long ago): PS1 Collection list

What I still want: Wishlist

i saw your wishlist and recommend einhander if you are able to get it. i'm a sucker for shooters but that really stands out. (but i don't know the cost of games these days so it might be prohibitive) alundra is great too, (i didn't have the dragon art work you're looking for)

Tapejara

AcidPS1.png

Anyone ever play this game before? I believe it's called "Acid." I picked it up off Play-Asia like two years ago but never got around to opening it. Can't find out much about it aside from a very low quality video. I also didn't realize before this that it says NTSC/J on the box. I figured I'd never play it because I don't have a JPN PS1.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
AcidPS1.png

Anyone ever play this game before? I believe it's called "Acid." I picked it up off Play-Asia like two years ago but never got around to opening it. Can't find out much about it aside from a very low quality video. I also didn't realize before this that it says NTSC/J on the box. I figured I'd never play it because I don't have a JPN PS1.

Out of you ordering it from Play-Asia, it being covered in Japanese, and not conforming to the packaging style of America or PAL... what part of it surprises you that it says NTSC/J on the box? :p

Psxdad

i saw your wishlist and recommend einhander if you are able to get it. i'm a sucker for shooters but that really stands out. (but i don't know the cost of games these days so it might be prohibitive) alundra is great too, (i didn't have the dragon art work you're looking for)

Oh I'll definitely pick up everything on my wish list. Just a matter of how quickly. Einhander is probably the game I don't have that I want the most. The 81 games for PS1 I have now I've been collecting over the last few years. It's easily my favorite system ever.

Tapejara

Out of you ordering it from Play-Asia, it being covered in Japanese, and not conforming to the packaging style of America or PAL... what part of it surprises you that it says NTSC/J on the box? :p

Whoops I thought it meant it could be played on an NTSC or Japanese system. I'm kind of new when it comes to Imports lol.

kaiju

AcidPS1.png

Never seen this one before. Cool.

I still need a copy of LSD in my life, but haven't seen it for less than $250. Probably never will, can't justify that amount on one game atm though.

Danny Dudekisser

Cool, my PSOne finally got here. I do have to mod it at some point, but it's nice to just have the thing. And it's been too long... the PS2 slim just wasn't cutting it for PS1 games, with it's numerous glitches. It's actually got a lot more issues than the original Playstation 2 model.

Timu

Cool, my PSOne finally got here. I do have to mod it at some point, but it's nice to just have the thing. And it's been too long... the PS2 slim just wasn't cutting it for PS1 games, with it's numerous glitches. It's actually got a lot more issues than the original Playstation 2 model.
Hmm, I never encounter issues with PS1 games on my PS2 slim...weird.

Top Bottom