• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

I want a PVM more now. Here's my weak pic from my phone of Soul Blade on my 20"
dYg9Ygw.jpg

I want a PVM more now. Here's my weak pic from my phone of Soul Blade on my 20"

seriously, grab one! (i'll keep nosing around for deals as i want to pick up a second myself)
that looks like a shot from my plasma too =) (and i got a nice one)

i'm using a phone but this BVM is so sharp the photos are easy to take. believe it or not, the phone pics don't do it justice, it's looks even better in person. Mega kept saying that while we were talking but now i'm a believer.

edit:i found a few local on craigslist, i'll pm you

IrishNinja

okay! so working on backlog stuff, and i should really tie up Grandia sometime...i left it over a year ago so i gotta remember what i was doing, but i was at

tower of DOOM

any idea how much is left?

Or a consumer SD CRT with Component. The main problem in your picture is the shit Composite.
You won't get the thick black lines, but everything will be sharp and crisp.
Yeah, the only thing I run with component right now is my Genesis. I'll get to the others eventually.

Timu

So I wanted to buy the original Crash Bandicoot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALED-Cr...587407?hash=item4afa0abc0f:g:VJoAAOSwQYZW05jo

But even the normal ones are priced stupid: the cheapest BIN for the complete rerelease right now is 39€, and the black label is even more... What happened? I would have thought this game would be super cheap like any other billion seller on the PS1. Or am I missing something?
When Crash Bandicoot is affected, you know something is up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALED-Cr...587407?hash=item4afa0abc0f:g:VJoAAOSwQYZW05jo

But even the normal ones are priced stupid: the cheapest BIN for the complete rerelease right now is 39€, and the black label is even more... What happened? I would have thought this game would be super cheap like any other billion seller on the PS1. Or am I missing something?

Young folks are starting to get some money and demand is rising for the big, well remembered IPs.

I'd say as far as buying games 'blind' like that, shooters are a good way to go. Lots of mediocre shooters, but it's hard to fuck up the core gameplay. Bullshit RNG bullet patterns and boring weapons get old quick, but I still can squeeze a decent number of hours out of it.

kaiju

has anyone played this shooter for ps1?
HrY43sUl.jpg

i just ordered it, it looks interesting...

I've played it. It's OK. Reminded me of Blazing Lazers for TG-16. Some frustrating parts made easier with 2P. Some slowdown later in the game can make things a bit hairy also. The sides of the screen bothered me, but since it's an arcade port you're getting the original aspect ratio.

Make sure you check out all of the 'modes' of the game. Some of them are very odd, especially comical mode, where you'll hear canned laughter whenever you blow something up.

I'd say as far as buying games 'blind' like that, shooters are a good way to go. Lots of mediocre shooters, but it's hard to fuck up the core gameplay. Bullshit RNG bullet patterns and boring weapons get old quick, but I still can squeeze a decent number of hours out of it.
yeah, all the shooters i like rocketed in price (einhander, r-type delta, raystorm)
thankfully, i kept einhander and r-type delta with me in a shoebox. but my raystorm and crisis got thrown out at my mom's place.
i randomly saw this one was used for going for 20 on ebay... i saw it on amazon new and sealed for 24 so i thought to take a chance on it.

I've played it. It's OK. Reminded me of Blazing Lazers for TG-16. Some frustrating parts made easier with 2P. Some slowdown later in the game can make things a bit hairy also. The sides of the screen bothered me, but since it's an arcade port you're getting the original aspect ratio.

Make sure you check out all of the 'modes' of the game. Some of them are very odd, especially comical mode, where you'll hear canned laughter whenever you blow something up.
i love blazing lasers and zanac so if anything like those, i think i'll enjoy it.

what would be neat is if there was a complete list of shooters on ps1. as i never heard of this shooter till today.

the shooters i know:
r-type delta
r-types
einhander
raystorm
raycrisis
1945 strikers (i just learned it's on ps1)
raiden project
raiden III
and now this game

Krathoon

Gold Member
I was doing some research on DKR. It looks like the N64 version is the best one. They took out Conker and Banjo in the DS version.

I was doing some research on DKR. It looks like the N64 version is the best one. They took out Conker and Banjo in the DS version.
Not only that but they changed Taj's voice and to get the turbo start you have to run your finger up and down or stylus on the bottom screen. It sucks! It kills the game, plus they made the game easier.

NDPsycho

Picked up quite a few ps1 games the last couple of weeks and finally sat down and played through Vanark tonight. What a cool game I hadn't heard about until watching some YT video's of ps1 gems recently. Fun shooter that feels like a cross between Starfox or Panzer Dragoon and Darius. The in between mission parts were a little dull, but didn't distract. Just think they could have done a little more with them. The shooting was very fun though. Any other games like this on the system?

Follow up edit: Ejected the disk and discovered that I should never play ps1 disks on my ps3 slim. Looks like the slot loading left all kinds of faint scratches on the disk. Wish I hadn't played this and Tron Bonne on the system now. They still work, but it's pretty irritating.

It's in demand. I've always wondered if the quantity produced of Playstation games would be balanced out by their fragile nature.

Getting games complete isnt as hard as super nintendo or other cardboard formats, but getting games without scratches is much more difficult with PS1. Also the relative low price and the way that PS1 games were low value for so long after the PS2 came out means a lot of them were discarded or not cared for.

We're some of the few crazy people who didn't ditch their PS1 games in the early 2000s.

Chinner

Banned
It's in demand. I've always wondered if the quantity produced of Playstation games would be balanced out by their fragile nature.

Getting games complete isnt as hard as super nintendo or other cardboard formats, but getting games without scratches is much more difficult with PS1. Also the relative low price and the way that PS1 games were low value for so long after the PS2 came out means a lot of them were discarded or not cared for.

We're some of the few crazy people who didn't ditch their PS1 games in the early 2000s.
The PS1 is starting to pass the threshold of what can be considered 'retro', and with the PS1 being backwards compatible with the PS2&3 increases its accessibility. As you said too, finding a good condition game is becoming increasing difficult.

I can see PS1 games becoming more expensive.

The PS1 is starting to pass the threshold of what can be considered 'retro', and with the PS1 being backwards compatible with the PS2&3 increases its accessibility. As you said too, finding a good condition game is becoming increasing difficult.

I can see PS1 games becoming more expensive.
I think ease of accessing the games digitally actually helps preserve their cost. It helps also that it's disc media, which I think people have less nostalgia for, and therefore don't mind the form factor of the games as much.

Top Bottom