• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

D.Lo

I always play games on the original hardware, even if the later hardware is backward compatible. It's ninja code.

I agree to a point. I hate playing psone games on a PS3, looks nasty on my flat & just feels dirty. I play my GB games on my GBA and disconnected my Cube when I got a Wii.

I always play games on the original hardware, even if the later hardware is backward compatible. It's ninja code.

my ps1 + tube tv is @ my mom's place so i have to make do. i still use my GBA player w/ my cube, but hook my wavebird to the wii for component. (stupidly gave away the component cables yrs ago)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmm, I never encounter issues with PS1 games on my PS2 slim...weird.

I got a couple of sound glitches in games that I'd never heard about there being issues with. In Fear Effect, late in the game, there's a couple sections where, when you start a certain puzzle, you get this super loud buzzing noise that doesn't go away until you die. In Soul of the Samurai, there was maybe a 50% chance that the game wouldn't play any sound effects when you load your save. I didn't have these issues on the phat PS2, so I suspect something changed in the newer models. This was, I think, the last variant of the PS2 that I was using.

Also, I haven't taken it out of the box, but it's just cool seeing a PSOne, and realizing that I finally have one again. Just look at this handsome sonbitch:

aZSHIy8.jpg

D.Lo

See I would agree with you if not for the Wii U. There's no reason for me to keep my Wii hooked up.
Yeah I'll give you that one. I do too. When both consoles are that goddamn boring looking and you can even use the same controllers and one has digital output...

Also, I haven't taken it out of the box, but it's just cool seeing a PSOne, and realizing that I finally have one again. Just look at this handsome sonbitch:
Is that a non-'This is Cool' skelleton Saturn?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah I'll give you that one. I do too. When both consoles are that goddamn boring looking and you can even use the same controllers and one has digital output...

Is that a non-'This is Cool' skelleton Saturn?

Yeah. Derby Saturn. I would argue it's still cool, even if it doesn't say so on the thing.

Timu

To me it doesn't matter what I play it on...as long as it works that's perfect for me.

What isn't perfect is the awful input lag when playing PS1 games on PS3. Holy crap, it's painful!!! Since PSP can output PS1 games in 240p I bet there's no lag so that's a better option. Of course the original hardware is the best option overall, definitely if you have RGB.

I'm happy with hardware based BC. Wii, PS2, GBA/DS/3DS, etc.

Emulation is awful for everything but putting as many games as you can on to 1 device. Which, in my case, is really only useful for the novelty and portability.

To me it doesn't matter what I play it on...as long as it works that's perfect for me.

What isn't perfect is the awful input lag when playing PS1 games on PS3. Holy crap, it's painful!!! Since PSP can output PS1 games in 240p I bet there's no lag so that's a better option. Of course the original hardware is the best option overall, definitely if you have RGB.
I have a 3000 with the component cable and notice no lag while playing psone titles.

Timu

I'm happy with hardware based BC. Wii, PS2, GBA/DS/3DS, etc.

Emulation is awful for everything but putting as many games as you can on to 1 device. Which, in my case, is really only useful for the novelty and portability.
Same for me when it comes to those systems. Hell, emulation still has issues with them which is why I don't like using that for those systems...plus original hardware is the real deal!

I have a 3000 with the component cable and notice no lag while playing psone titles.
That is fantastic to hear!

Teknoman

I got a couple of sound glitches in games that I'd never heard about there being issues with. In Fear Effect, late in the game, there's a couple sections where, when you start a certain puzzle, you get this super loud buzzing noise that doesn't go away until you die. In Soul of the Samurai, there was maybe a 50% chance that the game wouldn't play any sound effects when you load your save. I didn't have these issues on the phat PS2, so I suspect something changed in the newer models. This was, I think, the last variant of the PS2 that I was using.

On PS2 phat, Xenogears will make random sound effects every now and again. Nothing annoying, but its definitely there.

Timu

I will say this though, playing Street Fighter Collection on my PS2 slim with the fast read speed improved the load times greatly. Matches load faster now compared to the standard where it can last 10 seconds vs the 3 seconds it takes with fast read speed.

Massive improvement, I applaud that.

D.Lo

I really want to play through the Japanese version of 'Soul of the Samurai/Ronin Blade'. The Japanese version has beautiful presentation with vertically oriented text, like it's on a scroll.

Has anyone played it through? Is the story much good in English? I guess I could play the Japanese version with the English script printed out, clunky but possible.

I will say this though, playing Street Fighter Collection on my PS2 slim with the fast read speed improved the load times greatly. Matches load faster now compared to the standard where it can last 10 seconds vs the 3 seconds it takes with fast read speed.

Massive improvement, I applaud that.
Hmm, those type of games might actually be a good reason to run a PS2...

elmalloc

I just got this from ebay. The unit is in like-new condition, I'd say damn near perfect.

The controllers appear sanitized and like-new as well, though I have a new PS1 controller on order along with RGB/SCART cable from retro console.

24445852131_a1e1dac7ab_b.jpg

Timu

Hmm, those type of games might actually be a good reason to run a PS2...
The load times are so terrible without it, definitely since the games loads 3 times(1 load time before a match, 1 load time after the match which is the longest, and a load time after the win/lose screen).

found a couple RE1 protos and a RE2 beta (different from 1.5, but I snagged that too) last night and gave them a run through.

Character models in the RE1 alpha were really nice! You could see full detail on their faces instead of them being kind of garbled. Barry had some gray in his beard and clearer wrinkles. Jill was also more shapely with a larger bust and pouting booty...there's no other way to say it! Maybe it was just the scaler making everything clearer.
(edit: after watching a vid, looks like they're both about the same as the final version lol)

(Jill and Barry discussing sandwiches)

RE2 beta is cool. Just had Leon's 2 scenarios and you can warp around the game from a debug menu. Has some weapons not in the final game. I triggered the cut scene where Ada meets Birken's nutter wife, which had Ada's voice clips + animations on Leon's model and then crashed after displaying this really nice hand for a PS1 game (not sure if this is what it looked like in the final version):

That made me realize I haven't looked into PS1 protos too much, now I wanna see what's out there.

koopas

That Japanese Bust a Groove (move) is worth having. There's some censorship and songs are changed (Strike drinks pop instead of beer etc)

found a couple RE1 protos and a RE2 beta (different from 1.5, but I snagged that too) last night and gave them a run through.

Character models in the RE1 alpha were really nice! You could see full detail on their faces instead of them being kind of garbled. Barry had some gray in his beard and clearer wrinkles. Jill was also more shapely with a larger bust and pouting booty...there's no other way to say it! Maybe it was just the scaler making everything clearer.
(edit: after watching a vid, looks like they're both about the same as the final version lol)

RE2 beta is cool. Just had Leon's 2 scenarios and you can warp around the game from a debug menu. Has some weapons not in the final game. I triggered the cut scene where Ada meets Birken's nutter wife, which had Ada's voice clips + animations on Leon's model and then crashed after displaying this really nice hand for a PS1 game (not sure if this is what it looked like in the final version):

That made me realize I haven't looked into PS1 protos too much, now I wanna see what's out there.

that's so cool!!! i'm so jealous =)

I posted my collection in 2013

Here is my progress

And I still need black label FF9 and Chrono cross :(

i need to grab my lunar 1 box in storage at my mom's place. (have the jewel case and game w/ me)

koopas

I just got this from ebay. The unit is in like-new condition, I'd say damn near perfect.

The controllers appear sanitized and like-new as well, though I have a new PS1 controller on order along with RGB/SCART cable from retro console.

24445852131_a1e1dac7ab_b.jpg
What made you get a PS1 over a PS2? (Not to shit on ya just curious if there's any advantage)

Teknoman

How'd you get em? Downloads or are there actual discs floating around?

How'd you get em? Downloads or are there actual discs floating around?

Downloads for sure. From what I can tell, they've all been leaked for quite awhile. Found a little info yesterday:
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Resident_Evil_(PlayStation)

the first two are the ones I played.

they don't have an entry for the RE2 one, but I remember carcinogen talking about it probably a year or 2 ago.

Then 1.5 is obviously well documented at this point.

also heard someone claim to have a RE4 pre-dmc proto but I'm just filing that under "bullshit" or "too expensive to even get a glimpse" to worry about it.

Downloads for sure. From what I can tell, they've all been leaked for quite awhile. Found a little info yesterday:
https://tcrf.net/Proto:Resident_Evil_(PlayStation)

the first two are the ones I played.

they don't have an entry for the RE2 one, but I remember carcinogen talking about it probably a year or 2 ago.

Then 1.5 is obviously well documented at this point.

also heard someone claim to have a RE4 pre-dmc proto but I'm just filing that under "bullshit" or "too expensive to even get a glimpse" to worry about it.

thanks for the info: i thought you grabbed a hardcopy out in the wild for a sec. those things are hard to come by!

thomasos

thanks for the info: i thought you grabbed a hardcopy out in the wild for a sec. those things are hard to come by!

When I worked at Gamers' Republic magazine back in the day, I had a preview disc of Too Human for PlayStation. Sadly, I'm pretty sure I ended up throwing it away....

I wish :)

I did a little cursory searching yesterday and found barely anything about PS1 protos. Doubt anything would top RE protos though.

Except Too Human^^^ would've been pretty interesting heh

I wonder if FFVII had a proto that was vastly different.

Judging by the huge difference in 3D models of battles and just the normal roaming. Plus the 3D battle arenas vs. pre-rendered backgrounds AND that it started it's life as a N64 concept, I'd wager to guess there are some vastly different betas. I'd love to see them!

I've been slowly going through Grandia. Just hit disc 2.

I forgot how much I like the "change disc" moment in multi-disc games. It has a lot of weight to it, and if it's handled well (like moving to a new continent in Grandia) it can feel like a really big transition. It's also a nice marker of progress -- you can say to someone "I'm about 3 hours into Disc 2" rather than "I hit this town that I can't remember the name of but there are a bunch of rabbit people."

alf717

hey guys,
just got this in the mail before the winter storm hits in NJ,

don't have my psx hardware (@ my parents) but have a ps2 slim w/ component for the weekend that i grabbed a while ago to finish shadow of destiny (never got to it), but going to hook it up tonight:

update:

dusted out my old slim scph 75001b

Very nice pick up. I wish I could say the same about my last two eBay pickups. Both listed as very good and then arrive as train wrecks.

Very nice pick up. I wish I could say the same about my last two eBay pickups. Both listed as very good and then arrive as train wrecks.

hey thx for mentioning the non dual shock, was worth it to triple dip. i'm having a blast replaying it =)

bummer =(
hopefully it was just disc scuffs, not the box/case/ manuals.

alf717

hey thx for mentioning the non dual shock, was worth it to triple dip. i'm having a blast replaying it =)

bummer =(
hopefully it was just disc scuffs, not the box/case/ manuals.

Everything actually. :p Luckily both sellers took them back. Glad you are enjoying that version of RE. It is my favorite version of RE on the PS. The goofy music in the dual shock version is always worth a laugh though especially that basement music.

Everything actually. :p Luckily both sellers took them back. Glad you are enjoying that version of RE. It is my favorite version of RE on the PS. The goofy music in the dual shock version is always worth a laugh though especially that basement music.

i've been really enjoying it, i never finished the arrange mode for the greatest hits bc i couldn't stand the music. just moved back to original and played it to death while that was a shelf warmer.

i tried the double ammo trick earlier in the week and it's way too easy so i switched back w/o it. don't know if i can get under 3 hrs my first time through but at least i'm enjoying the music... i also switch back to chris' original 6 pocket costume first chance i got w/ the armor key, though Rebecca is still sporting the red gym uniform. (Wesker must be happy somewhere)

Timu

I should try more PS1 games on PS2 with disc read speed set on fast, it really helped a lot in the Street Fighter Collection games and I wonder about all those fighting games with load times as well, along with other genres of course.

I should try more PS1 games on PS2 with disc read speed set on fast, it really helped a lot in the Street Fighter Collection games and I wonder about all those fighting games with load times as well, along with other genres of course.

i forgot all about that... maybe i should try it, i think it tried it once on a game back at launch but it messed up the dialogue of a game but don't remember which game.

jsnepo

i forgot all about that... maybe i should try it, i think it tried it once on a game back at launch but it messed up the dialogue of a game but don't remember which game.

Try also the texture smoothing. It works great on select games (MGS, FFVII, FFVIII) and not too much with Silent Hill as it ruins the fog and the trees.

D.Lo

I prefer no smoothing. It ruins detail and I like my edges crisp.
Yep gimme dat chunk pixel textures.

I love the PS1/Saturn/DS look when done well. Something about using such limited tools to create a convincing world is just that much more impressive than the basically almost infinite polygons and texture resolutions that came thereafter.

Yep gimme dat chunk pixel textures.

I love the PS1/Saturn/DS look when done well. Something about using such limited tools to create a convincing world is just that much more impressive than the basically almost infinite polygons and texture resolutions that came thereafter.

i share that sentiment. I find myself amazed by PS1 games with massive worlds and the perfect balance of realistic and stylized texture and modeling work. And then I go look at modern games and I'm thinking "that's it?"

Bit funny, but it really does enthrall me.

Top Bottom