• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

progress on re1 directors cut:
i finally beat the second snake boss and got past the area after jumping down the pit. it literally took 18 tries. i think i need to watch that youtube user who beats advanced mode w/ chris w/ just a knife. (after i beat it on my own) i'm finally 3/4 way through. should beat it soon.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Here's some HQ footage of System 12 arcade Soul Caliber on real hardware with its ugly ass polygons and beautiful 60 frames a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDtctMLOp6M

Both Soul Calibur and Tekken Tag were real sacks of buttholes compared to the home releases. It was a pretty amazing time, from that perspective. Namco, the developer that was pushing the limits of 3D fighting games, was putting out absolutely superior versions of their arcade games at home. That was cool.

AmyS

Both Soul Calibur and Tekken Tag were real sacks of buttholes compared to the home releases. It was a pretty amazing time, from that perspective. Namco, the developer that was pushing the limits of 3D fighting games, was putting out absolutely superior versions of their arcade games at home. That was cool.

Absolutely true, 1999-2000 was such an incredible time for Namco 3D fighting games with the new consoles. Gotta get back into SC HD on 360 this weekend.

D.Lo

Eeeeeeeeehhhh Namco wasn't pushing any limits of 3D fighting games at any point, but especially that point. They were using a 1994 PS1 with some extra RAM as their arcade hardware in 1998. Sega had the Model 3 in 1996!

Sega was completely and utterly dominating them in arcade tech at every point, and their games were all answers to Sega's games too.

Chinner

Banned
Looking good. No little speaker set? Even some shitty pc speakers would probably be better then the PVM mono. Guess some headphones would also be good with such a setup.

Got some adapters actually

V4Nr0Zr.jpg

Just need a proper tv stand...

AmyS

Eeeeeeeeehhhh Namco wasn't pushing any limits of 3D fighting games at any point, but especially that point. They were using a 1994 PS1 with some extra RAM as their arcade hardware in 1998. Sega had the Model 3 in 1996!

Sega was completely and utterly dominating them in arcade tech at every point, and their games were all answers to Sega's games too.

Well yeah, that's right.

You could say the upgrade from System 11 (1994) to System 12 (late 1996) was not unlike going from GameCube to Wii. 50% faster and more RAM.

Namco's higher end hardware actually got upgraded more often,

System 22 (1993)
System Super 22 (1995)
System 22.5 "Gorgon" (1997)
System 23 (1997)
System Super 23 (1997/1998)

Yet all of those were (more or less) equivalent to Sega's Model 2 boards. Namco's rumored System 33 board never happened. Therefore Namco never had anything close to Model 3 during the mid-late 90s.
They simply moved to PS2-based hardware instead, starting with System 246 in 2001-2002.

kaiju

Picked up another import, this time it's Namco's Volfoss. This is a tactical RPG that came out in February 2001, a full year after the PS2 came out. I don't know who did the art design for this game, but it has a nice aesthetic to it.

038_zpsmr4ffnx3.jpg

Some of the characters in the game:

Vol2_zpsqzgtgtto.jpg

Vol3_zpskh7uduxu.jpg

Tapejara

Square Enix is having an anniversary sale on their online store, and there are some PSOne games included. I picked up Chrono Cross and FFIX. Shipping charge murdered my wallet though.

Finally beat re1 directors cut... wonderful feeling. now i got an unlimited colt python.

some new things i never discovered. you can actually meet Rebecca for the first time while she's attending to Richard, (every time i meet richard w/ chris he's already dead) she sitting w/ Richard and asks you to get serum. wow, never done that before w/ Chris.

next, time you see her in the piano room, her dialogue is different due to meeting her by Richard. very interesting...

anyways, i'm now go play some Shadow of Destiny and R-Type Final... it's been fun. rebuying this game. this double disc black label is so much better than dual shock version.

Sinople

Picked up another import, this time it's Namco's Volfoss. This is a tactical RPG that came out in February 2001, a full year after the PS2 came out. I don't know who did the art design for this game, but it has a nice aesthetic to it.
Yasushi Nirasawa, who worked mainly as creatures designer on shows such as Kamen Rider and Garo but also games (Deep Fear, Shin Megami Tensei IV, etc.), and who unfortunately passed away less than 2 weeks ago, RIP.

Def Jukie

Finally beat re1 directors cut... wonderful feeling. now i got an unlimited colt python.

some new things i never discovered. you can actually meet Rebecca for the first time while she's attending to Richard, (every time i meet richard w/ chris he's already dead) she sitting w/ Richard and asks you to get serum. wow, never done that before w/ Chris.

next, time you see her in the piano room, her dialogue is different due to meeting her by Richard. very interesting...

anyways, i'm now go play some Shadow of Destiny and R-Type Final... it's been fun. rebuying this game. this double disc black label is so much better than dual shock version.

Nice. I played through the advanced mode about a year ago for the first time and was surprised at how much more difficult it was than the original release. I also like how you can trigger different meetings or events depending on what order or how fast you do things in. I think it's the only game in the series to really do that.

I've been in the mood for some classic survival horror and picked up RE3 and Dino Crisis. I've played RE and RE2 many times but only played RE3 once about 15 years ago. I think I'm over halfway (just started playing as Jill again) and it's almost like playing a new game. I remember certain areas a little bit but it's been so long I've forgotten specifics.

I certainly don't remember Nemesis being so relentless. I'm playing on Hard since there is no Normal and he is pretty hard to take down and will essentially follow you until you trigger forward progression in certain areas. It's pretty easy to just run away from him but I like the tension it creates when you are still looking for items in an area he is roaming in. Changing the save room music is a nice touch too.

I'm not liking it as much as 1 or 2 but Nemesis certainly adds a different dynamic to the game which makes it unique to the series. I'm enjoying it so far and am glad I picked it up. I will try out Dino Crisis after I finish RE3. I've never played it before.

Nice. I played through the advanced mode about a year ago for the first time and was surprised at how much more difficult it was than the original release. I also like how you can trigger different meetings or events depending on what order or how fast you do things in. I think it's the only game in the series to really do that.

I've been in the mood for some classic survival horror and picked up RE3 and Dino Crisis. I've played RE and RE2 many times but only played RE3 once about 15 years ago. I think I'm over halfway (just started playing as Jill again) and it's almost like playing a new game. I remember certain areas a little bit but it's been so long I've forgotten specifics.

I certainly don't remember Nemesis being so relentless. I'm playing on Hard since there is no Normal and he is pretty hard to take down and will essentially follow you until you trigger forward progression in certain areas. It's pretty easy to just run away from him but I like the tension it creates when you are still looking for items in an area he is roaming in. Changing the save room music is a nice touch too.

I'm not liking it as much as 1 or 2 but Nemesis certainly adds a different dynamic to the game which makes it unique to the series. I'm enjoying it so far and am glad I picked it up. I will try out Dino Crisis after I finish RE3. I've never played it before.

i'll be truthful, pretty hardcore re fan, but i skipped re3 bc i shifted to dreamcast and play code veronica after re2 (at the time capcom made that exclusive) re3 just seemed like a shoo-in to keep sony fans happy at the time.

i have yet to finish that and also dino crisis, i need to get on that as well. (funny, i finished 2 but never dino one...)

thanks, for the post on nemesis, i actually forgot about it and getting pumped to play it.

Is directors cut the best version to go with?

not the green label greatest hits version which has rearranged music (no option for the original OST) that is inferior to the original score . (has dual shock support.)

the original black label directors cut (non dual shock). has the original OST intact with the original game as well as the new arranged mode. (like getting 2 games in one)

Congrats on finishing RE Dir. Cut. That first game has a LOT of various ways to finish and scenes to see during playthroughs compared to other games back then. I really appreciate that they made so many possibilities!

Chinner

Banned
Been playing Gran Turismo 2 - it's actually aged really well, and career mode is refreshing compared to GT5 ( haven't played 6).

Congrats on finishing RE Dir. Cut. That first game has a LOT of various ways to finish and scenes to see during playthroughs compared to other games back then. I really appreciate that they made so many possibilities!
yeah, i'm really trying to get all the endings. very curious about eike's story =)

Been playing Gran Turismo 2 - it's actually aged really well, and career mode is refreshing compared to GT5 ( haven't played 6).
for got about that gm, maybe i'll pick it up if it's reasonable cost.

Thunderforce is a great series. 3, 4, and 5 are all so fun it's hard for me to choose a favorite. Nice pickup. I've never played the PS1 version. Did WD mess with the difficulty?

Thunderforce is a great series. 3, 4, and 5 are all so fun it's hard for me to choose a favorite. Nice pickup. I've never played the PS1 version. Did WD mess with the difficulty?

i played II and III on Genesis, i believe i owned IV but it came to the U.S. as lightening force. (i'm not sure if i actually beat it or not.. i'm pretty foggy)

This is my first go around w/ V but is Spaz known for tweaking stuff to make it easier? (i remember reading notes for games they released like ray storm/crysis and lunar silver star story, they did stuff to improve games but not sure about thunder force V, i'll look inside the manual and see if spaz made any notes)

edit: i found translation notes:
sEkn058.jpg

That's good to hear. The only WD action games I recall playing are Silhouette Mirage and Silpheed on PS2 and they made the difficulty much harder on them.

i've been trying to hunt down some more shooters on ps1 w/o much luck.

looking for complete gms that don't cost more than a system.

i just ordered a ps1 megaman 8 greatest hits seals for 15 bucks... i'm looking forward to owning that again. and hunting for a replacement of x4 that disappeared.

for shooters i'm looking for replacements for the games my mom threw out.

raystorm raycrisis. (it looks like raycrisis is at a good price so that's prob first)

i hope to get r-types too.

spent the whole night messing w/ ps1 games on the sony bvm:

i was staring at the monitor more than playing the game. wow, re3 never looked this good w scan lines =) i was staring at a box for hours. lol

damn i'm in love w ps1... i need to grab some more games =)

Danny Dudekisser

3D games on the PS1 really do look worlds better with scanlines. People extol the virtues of 2D games with scanlines, but 3D art looks pretty great, too.

Which makes me glad I bought a new PSOne a month or so back. Haven't opened it or anything (and I won't until I move and have the OSSC), but I'm looking forward to finally being able to play those games properly again.

Danny Dudekisser

WD typically made games harder, to avoid people renting the game, beating it, and never sending a dime WD's way. I don't think Thunder Force V had any alterations when WD released it, though. It does some things better than the Saturn version (namely frame rate), but it has fewer transparencies than the Saturn version, despite the opposite usually being true.

IrishNinja

3D games on the PS1 really do look worlds better with scanlines. People extol the virtues of 2D games with scanlines, but 3D art looks pretty great, too.

from doing a lot of PSX & saturn gaming in the last few years, couldn't agree more - i know some prefer their absence, but whenever people talk about how poorly the gen aged, i assume they're missing (and the image is stretched/etc)

Timu

Scanlines look far better with 2D games. I don't mind them for 3D games(240p ones only), but they were definitely made for 2D by far.

thanks man! these past 24 hours of playing with the CRT has been fascinating:
i took a bunch of photos of Jill and threw them up on the scanline thread =)

Jill's face is perfect now
Zxhx6yeh.jpg

Chinner

Banned
My ps1 isn't getting past the boot screen anymore and just defaults to the memory card selection menu..... But the discs are fine.

Any help?

elmalloc

My ps1 isn't getting past the boot screen anymore and just defaults to the memory card selection menu..... But the discs are fine.

Any help?

I googled and one person said they think the laser is going bad. Secondly, one person said with a 100X model, you could turn them upside down and see if the game boots. I think that was due to heat dissipation issues.

Which makes me glad I bought a new PSOne a month or so back. Haven't opened it or anything (and I won't until I move and have the OSSC), but I'm looking forward to finally being able to play those games properly again.

from doing a lot of PSX & saturn gaming in the last few years, couldn't agree more - i know some prefer their absence, but whenever people talk about how poorly the gen aged, i assume they're missing (and the image is stretched/etc)

I'm fine with emulation rendering 3D games in higher resolution but I do agree with david that scanlines look great on 240p 3D games.

240p 3D games are so baller! i found a list of ps2 240p games that i'm going to hunt down as well =)

Any help?
yeah, i was going to say try moving the console on another angle to see if it boots. that's a common problem w/ the 1st gen, i have to do that w my ps1.

IrishNinja

maaaan i know 240p is best, but seriously, 90% of PSX/staurn games i throw at this xrgb, i feel they look better with the right amount of scanlines

i know, YMMV, but i'm sayin tho

Top Bottom