• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

i've seen it on ebay for saturn, are there any differences?
I actually own both. The saturn has some nasty dithered 3D transparencies in the intro stage, but makes up for it with exclusive 2D stage animations like the heat distortion in the background of Magmar Dragoon 's stage. Can't go wrong with either but the PS1 version is probably much cheaper.

Megaman 8 on the other hand has 2 exclusive robot masters on the Saturn version, and is definitive there.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I was finally able to add 3 of these to my collection! The 4th (Raycrsis), was just a nice bonus:

SNSF4tz.jpg

I actually own both. The saturn has some nasty dithered 3D transparencies in the intro stage, but makes up for it with exclusive 2D stage animations like the heat distortion in the background of Magmar Dragoon 's stage. Can't go wrong with either but the PS1 version is probably much cheaper.

Megaman 8 on the other hand has 2 exclusive robot masters on the Saturn version, and is definitive there.
damn! i need a saturn one day.

I was finally able to add 3 of these to my collection! The 4th (Raycrsis), was just a nice bonus:
nice pickups, i need raycrisis in my life.

Cross posting from the march pickup thread. I'm VERY excited about this Kijiji grab.

I guess my ps1 collection and I are getting pretty serious

The lunar complete editions are breath taking. Unlike most games today these really look like they were crafted with love and care for the product.

Edit : Album here http://imgur.com/a/IfWKL

NDPsycho

Awesome taste. I just got Vanark and Strider in the last couple of weeks myself. I really liked Vanark. Buying ps1 games is a refreshing change after chasing SNES games the last couple of years.

NDPsycho

Cross posting from the march pickup thread. I'm VERY excited about this Kijiji grab.

I guess my ps1 collection and I are getting pretty serious

The lunar complete editions are breath taking. Unlike most games today these really look like they were crafted with love and care for the product.

Lunar games are a personal fave. First rpg I played with my wife (girlfriend at the time), but that was the sega cd version. I've bought every release since. These were the best releases to me though. Do you have the arc the lad set to sit next to it?

Lunar games are a personal fave. First rpg I played with my wife (girlfriend at the time), but that was the sega cd version. I've bought every release since. These were the best releases to me though. Do you have the arc the lad set to sit next to it?

awe nice story about your wife. When I was going after mine she told me her favorite game was chrono trigger. I hadn't even heard of it at that point so I gave it a shot on an emulator. HOLY SHIT SHE HAS GOOD TASTE IN GAMES.

No arc the lad yet but its on the list!

Galdelico

I thought to post my question here as well, other than in the CRT thread.

I play my PlayStation games on a fat PS2 + Trinitron CRT TV (not that intensively anymore, hence why I literally just noticed this issue), with both speed and texture set to standard. Is it normal that some titles show what it looks like jail bars - especially on grey or not-so-bright textures/colors - and others don't?

Examples. Every single 2D game I've tried so far, looks fine (i.e. Guitly Gear, Gunners Heaven, Angel Eyes...), as well a some 3D game such as Dead or Alive and Toshinden 2. By 'fine', I mean they look exactly like I remember them looking on a genuine PlayStation, crisp and clean.
Then, on the other hand, there are Tekken 3, Chase the Express and Gran Turismo 2 (once again, out of those I tested), which show prominent jail bars, both on actual textures and 2D backdrops. It's not random, they're always there, in the same spots, with the same games. Are they meant to look like that? Does it have anything to do with their screen resolution?

I use a PS2 Sony RGB cable, and unfortunately it's ages I don't own a PlayStation anymore, so I'm not able to double check on that system.

lol why the fuck is X-Men vs Street Fighter on PS1 so expensive? It was such a crappy port too. Still have mine complete and everything, but man hopefully people are buying the Saturn version instead.

lol why the fuck is X-Men vs Street Fighter on PS1 so expensive? It was such a crappy port too. Still have mine complete and everything, but man hopefully people are buying the Saturn version instead.

a lot of the time aftermarket value isn't tied to quality but scarcity instead

I thought to post my question here as well, other than in the CRT thread.

I play my PlayStation games on a fat PS2 + Trinitron CRT TV (not that intensively anymore, hence why I literally just noticed this issue), with both speed and texture set to standard. Is it normal that some titles show what it looks like jail bars - especially on grey or not-so-bright textures/colors - and others don't?

Examples. Every single 2D game I've tried so far, looks fine (i.e. Guitly Gear, Gunners Heaven, Angel Eyes...), as well a some 3D game such as Dead or Alive and Toshinden 2. By 'fine', I mean they look exactly like I remember them looking on a genuine PlayStation, crisp and clean.
Then, on the other hand, there are Tekken 3, Chase the Express and Gran Turismo 2 (once again, out of those I tested), which show prominent jail bars, both on actual textures and 2D backdrops. It's not random, they're always there, in the same spots, with the same games. Are they meant to look like that? Does it have anything to do with their screen resolution?

I use a PS2 Sony RGB cable, and unfortunately it's ages I don't own a PlayStation anymore, so I'm not able to double check on that system.
hey i just saw this, just to respond, i think there's not that many people checking on ps1 thread or may not know the answer. but i did post something similar previously on here. dithering (checkerboard pattern) is seen when you're playing over component/rgb on the ps2. that maybe related to what you're seeing perhaps. unfortunately, there was no component for the ps1 so over composite, the dithering is smoothed over or non existent.

if you can rgb the ps1 most likely you'll see the dithering effect like on the ps2 over component.

the ps3 however makes it absolutely worse playing off CD's via hdmi or component. while psn digital downloads eliminate the dithering effect all together that you see on component (which i don't think that is natural)

Galdelico

hey i just saw this, just to respond, i think there's not that many people checking on ps1 thread or may not know the answer. but i did post something similar previously on here. dithering (checkerboard pattern) is seen when you're playing over component/rgb on the ps2. that maybe related to what you're seeing perhaps. unfortunately, there was no component for the ps1 so over composite, the dithering is smoothed over or non existent.

if you can rgb the ps1 most likely you'll see the dithering effect like on the ps2 over component.

the ps3 however makes it absolutely worse playing off CD's via hdmi or component. while psn digital downloads eliminate the dithering effect all together that you see on component (which i don't think that is natural)
Dave, thank you for checking out and replying, much appreciated!

You can probably take a better look at what I meant here: link
I'm already using an RGB cable on my PS2 (it's a Sony lead too, supposedly pretty good) so yeah - as you said - dithering is quite blazing, with games that 'feature' it. What I noticed, though, is something else, and it's most likely (as confirmed by another kind gaffer who double checked with Final Fantasy VIII) an artifact added by the PS2 itself, while running PlayStation games. I'm talking about those vertical lines - faint jail bars - that appear on the pics I posted above.

What's weird is, they only show up with some games - Tekken 3, Gran Turismo, Gran Turismo 2, Chase the Express/Covert Ops, out of those I tested so far - incidentally those ones that sport heavy dithering to begin with. I wonder if the two things are somehow related. Also, it's something I experience on both my PS2 (one is Japanese, the other one is PAL and modded), with the same games and intensity, so it's definitely not a system malfunction.

Edit --- Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of playing PSone Classics on the PS3, as they all look pretty awful, even with the dodgy filtering disabled.
I just recently started collecting for the PlayStation again, and I went for the PS2, in order to play the games I bought in the last few days, as I don't own a PSX since a million years, now. Time to grab one back, I guess. :D

IrishNinja

my meager but solid PSX collection, on the 3rd shelf! Lunar 2 in the box is my roommate's. also my PS2 collection's the first 2 obviously, might repost that in the appropriate thread depending on how obnoxious i'm feeling here, haha

So am I reading the posts on this page correctly that a PS2 is an inferior way to play PS1 games on a CRT? Is that just via RGB? What about s-video?

Galdelico

So am I reading the posts on this page correctly that a PS2 is an inferior way to play PS1 games on a CRT? Is that just via RGB? What about s-video?
That wasn't my purpose. :(
I just wanted to share something I recently noticed for the first time, with the hope someone else could give me a clue about it (to find out if it's a quirk of my specific set-up for real, or not, as I produced tests/examples that could be easily replicated).
I had absolutely no intention to state anything like that.

Futaba

I've been using a PlayStation licensed Waka up scan converter for my PS1's, outputs directly to VGA, does a pretty good job of it too!

Futaba

Wow. What resolution does it output?
I believe it outputs 31khz RGBHV at 640x480 VESA (upscanned of course)

Here's more details from the hazard-city.de review i found:
Waka's upscan converter uses the Playstation's RGB signal to create a sharp, colorful, vibrant and overall quite pleasing VGA signal. 240p signals are treated as progressive signals, so no unneccessary deinterlacing gets applied. 240p games converted to VGA are very close to what the XRGB series or processor achieves. For 480i inputs the Waka applies a single-field-based doubling - quite similar to what the XRGB-1/2/3 units do. To minimize horizontal flickering every other frame is shifted a tiny bit towards it's adjacent frames. The Waka shifts the frames one line more than the XRGB units, in result creating a little more stable and little less flickering 480p image from 480i sources. The Waka's VGA output is perfectly compatible with all major scanline generators and last, but not least, the Waka performs nearly lag free.

Peltz

I believe it outputs 31khz RGBHV at 640x480 VESA (upscanned of course)

Here's more details from the hazard-city.de review i found:

Dayum. That's impressive. I assume there'd be no transitional issue for games that switch between 240p and 480i as well.

It's such a shame that there is not other first party scaling hardware for old school consoles. It would be so cool to have that in an alternate universe.

So does anyone have a good resource for Australian PS1 games? Fully Retro has them but their prices are quite steep and I'm not too sure if there's a cheaper option.

Futaba

Dayum. That's impressive. I assume there'd be no transitional issue for games that switch between 240p and 480i as well.

It's such a shame that there is not other first party scaling hardware for old school consoles. It would be so cool to have that in an alternate universe.

I only have my normal PC monitors with VGA inputs, but if you want to give me a couple games to try i'll show you how they look on it.

So does anyone have a good resource for Australian PS1 games? Fully Retro has them but their prices are quite steep and I'm not too sure if there's a cheaper option.

If you didn't mind Japanese titles and were okay with modding/disk swapping to bypass region lock, you could probably buy them from Japanese auctions for significantly cheaper, posted, than local.
I live in Japan currently, I've actually considered putting up a web store selling software/consoles/console spare parts because of the sheer number of games and consoles still in good condition here, I figure i could make a decent profit even without adding insane markups on everything like the folks on ebay seem more than keen to do.

If you didn't mind Japanese titles and were okay with modding/disk swapping to bypass region lock, you could probably buy them from Japanese auctions for significantly cheaper, posted, than local.
I live in Japan currently, I've actually considered putting up a web store selling software/consoles/console spare parts because of the sheer number of games and consoles still in good condition here, I figure i could make a decent profit even without adding insane markups on everything like the folks on ebay seem more than keen to do.
I'm quite okay with bypassing region lock so I may look into it. I know the Japanese version of Ace Combat 3 is excellent in particular.

Peltz

I only have my normal PC monitors with VGA inputs, but if you want to give me a couple games to try i'll show you how they look on it.

If you have Chrono Cross, I'd love to see how it handles the 480i menus vs. the in-game graphics which are 240p.

televator

I've just tried Ridge Racer Turbo, Tobal 2 and Ergheiz, all three looked pretty much the same as standard games

480i should appear more detailed if it were deinterlaced. However a line doubler does not deinterlace, and depending on your monitor, can look the same as line doubled 240 material.

It a nice device. Basically, it's doing what the OSSC does.

AmyS

Guys, although this wasn't on PlayStation, I was watching this video of Namco's Alpine Racer 2 arcade game from 1997 (emulation). The original Alpine Racer came out in 1995. Both games used the System Super 22 Hardware, same as Time Crisis, Prop Cycle, Tokyo Wars and others. -- With the current debate about PS4K / PS4.5, I was thinking, if Sony had offered a more powerful PlayStation in 1997 and was exactly as powerful as what you see in AR2, offering games in 640 x 480 @ 60fps with solid z-buffered polygons and high-res, texture mapping, would you have been interested? The System 22 / System Super 22 family of arcade hardware displayed 240,000 texture mapped, gouraud shaded, lighted polygons in 640 480i interlaced resolution, some sort of AA (maybe), although no texture filtering (unlike Sega's Model 2 board). Keep in mind that the PS1 could only display 180,000 textured polygons with lighting and g-shading. Textures were much lower res than System 22 family. Tons of clipping without a true z-buffer, etc.

Blah, forget the specs, just look at that video of Alpine Racer 2, would you be impressed with that if a PlayStation console of the 90s could handle those graphics, in any game you can think of ?

televator

I think I'll just ask here. Does anyone have a spare audiophile PS1 SCPH-1001 that they'd be willing to trade me? Functional or not, it doesn't matter too much. I can repair consoles to a good extent. I'm willing to trade for one of my consoles. I have spare Dreamcasts, Genesis 2, SNESs, and slim PS2s... I think I have some Gamecubes too.

Teknoman

I need to post a collection shot at some point.

On that note, any reason to play Klonoa 1 PS1 if i've got the Wii version? Aside from graphical differences in art style.

Galdelico

Finally picked up a copy of Raiden Project for cheap. Now to hunt down a copy of Raiden DX.
Always great to see other Raiden fellows! :)

I'm on a Raiden mood too, as I'm currently waiting for a PAL copy of Raiden III to get delivered today/tomorrow, and I've been lucky enough to win an auction on ebay from a guy from Japan, selling both Raiden Project and Raiden DX for the PlayStation.

Speaking of which, any reason - other than for collecting purposes - to also buy Arcade Hits: Raiden? Is it just a repackage of the first Raiden from Raiden Project, or does it come with more extra features?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I finally bought a copy of Mega Man X5 for the PS1. It's one of those games that's not necessarily that expensive or anything, but that it just took me entirely too long to actually buy. I played the game at a friend's house back when it came out, bought the PC version in 2002, and eventually had it on X Collection... but I've always wanted the real deal.

Should be cool to finally have it.

I'm reeeeeally happy that I went to Savers today. Lunar 2 is sealed. :O
What is Savers?

I own every PS1 Working Designs release, but my shelf holding Lunar 1 and 2 fell over years ago so now their boxes are messed up. I would love to get my hands on better copies.
I think I'll just ask here. Does anyone have a spare audiophile PS1 SCPH-1001 that they'd be willing to trade me? Functional or not, it doesn't matter too much. I can repair consoles to a good extent. I'm willing to trade for one of my consoles. I have spare Dreamcasts, Genesis 2, SNESs, and slim PS2s... I think I have some Gamecubes too.
I still have two of my original PS1s sitting around at my parent's home gathering dust. Not sure what versions they are though. What is so special about a SCPH-1001? I won't be at their place again until the weekend, but I'll take a look for you.

Top Bottom