• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Teknoman

Im interested in Directors Cut, but what does busted horn edition mean? I only own the original, so would be fun with the DC to go along with it, guess i can just put it in the same cover as the original. Great of you to do this btw!

Remember the talk about how the greatest hits version of DC having a different soundtrack? Its the one where the mansion basement theme comes from.

NDPsycho

I've taken a break from retro carts for a few months and decided to start hitting my ps1 collection a lot more. These are my pickups over the last two months, almost doubled my ps1 games. Started with an open Tron Bonne, since I had been obsessing over Mega Man carts for a good part of the last year.

Haven't played many yet, but really enjoyed Tron Bonne to the point that I wanted it sealed too. Also had a great time with Vanark. I have a good number I'd still like to pick up. I've noticed that prices are a lot more inconsistent than I'm used to with SNES and the like. It's weird to see a sealed game selling for $80 from one person and then $320 from someone else. For the most part, it's a nice change of pace though, lots of great games to be had for less than $40. Got the Persona games coming. Any gems I should be looking out for?

So i'm finally on vacation.

Free to a good retro home time!

Only one per person of course, and they may or may not be in the best shape, but hey free is free:

DOOM (Complete GH version)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Complete GH version but has some music skip issues after awhile)
Medievil (disc only)
Resident Evil: Director's Cut - Busted horn edition (disc only)
RPG Maker (no manual, original case, but case isnt in the best shape)
nice! that's pretty generous of you.

i like the description for resident evil.

cj_iwakura

I've taken a break from retro carts for a few months and decided to start hitting my ps1 collection a lot more. These are my pickups over the last two months, almost doubled my ps1 games. Started with an open Tron Bonne, since I had been obsessing over Mega Man carts for a good part of the last year.

Haven't played many yet, but really enjoyed Tron Bonne to the point that I wanted it sealed too. Also had a great time with Vanark. I have a good number I'd still like to pick up. I've noticed that prices are a lot more inconsistent than I'm used to with SNES and the like. It's weird to see a sealed game selling for $80 from one person and then $320 from someone else. For the most part, it's a nice change of pace though, lots of great games to be had for less than $40. Got the Persona games coming. Any gems I should be looking out for?

Had no idea there were that many Colony Wars games... kind of sad I missed them.

Fear Effect is amazing, and I look forward to your thoughts on it.

I don't even want to think about how much the MMLs and the Tron Bonnes cost.

Futaba

Picked up some bits today!

Biohazard 2 Dualshock ver (SLPS-01510~1)
Tamamayu Monogatari (SLPS 01729)
Rival Schools - Legion of heroes (SLPS-01240~1)

And a random Gameboy Light for $3

NDPsycho

Had no idea there were that many Colony Wars games... kind of sad I missed them.

Fear Effect is amazing, and I look forward to your thoughts on it.

I don't even want to think about how much the MMLs and the Tron Bonnes cost.

One of the Colony Wars is a variant of the first, it came in double and single sized cases. Had to pick them up and want to work on getting the rest of Psygnosis' games. I was big into the Amiga starting in high school and they made some of the best games. Shadow of the Best on the Amiga when it first came out....that music was awesome. Plus, I love space cockpit games.

I just finished playing Yakuza this weekend...it's so hard to go back to the controls on some of these games and I'm worried about how Fear Effect plays. I'm at the point where it's easier to buy the games than it is to make time to play them :(

As for the MML trilogy, I don't want to think about how much theycost either. That's not something I normally do, but it wasn't something I wanted to pass up either. Some things don't come your way very often.

NDPsycho

Picked up some bits today!

Biohazard 2 Dualshock ver (SLPS-01510~1)
Tamamayu Monogatari (SLPS 01729)
Rival Schools - Legion of heroes (SLPS-01240~1)

And a random Gameboy Light for $3

I waffled to long on a Rival Schools this last week and missed out. Nice pick up, miss the Capcom that would kick out games like that. The same Capcom that would put out other unique games (where's the new shumps and fighters that aren't SF?)

Futaba

I waffled to long on a Rival Schools this last week and missed out. Nice pick up, miss the Capcom that would kick out games like that. The same Capcom that would put out other unique games (where's the new shumps and fighters that aren't SF?)

The store I picked it up from has another copy (complete) for 324 yen (about $3)

Futaba

I've never bought import ps1 games. What is required to play them? That is super cheap.

hm, you have a few different options.
1) modchip
2) disk swap method (easy or hard depending on model of playstation
3) I/O port card such as action replay, xplorer or gameshark

Modchip route is super easy if you can find a compatible chip and have a way of writing it (cheap K150 programmer or something), soldering required is beginner level for most board types
Disk swap is fast and free, but can reduce the longevity of your consoles drive motor/cause damage to spindle if used too much, basically involves leaving the drive door open and wedging something in the door close switch at the back right, then swapping disks at the right time between a legitimate copy of the right region, with a second disk of any region.
I/O port card is probably easier but likely more expensive than the other two, still in most cases requires you to wedge the door switch down, turn on the console, wait for the disk to stop spinning, switch disks and click "start game" on the onscreen menu.

Futaba

Tbh a japanese console might be cheaper and easier.

In terms of store cost it would be, I picked up several consoles for 108 yen each (store still has lots) the issue comes with shipping cost being tacked on.

To be honest I have been considering building a web store to sell consoles/games/console parts for japanese systems, with sane prices so people can do things like simply buy japanese NTSC-J motherboards of a particular model, laser assembly parts, power boards, case plastics, port units etc, jogcons, negcons, digital pads, analog, fight sticks, flight sticks, the works.
Only thing thats really stopping me is the worry about preventing scamming buyers who claim purchases don't work,. didn't arrive or were missing parts/etc.

NDPsycho

In terms of store cost it would be, I picked up several consoles for 108 yen each (store still has lots) the issue comes with shipping cost being tacked on.

To be honest I have been considering building a web store to sell consoles/games/console parts for japanese systems, with sane prices so people can do things like simply buy japanese NTSC-J motherboards of a particular model, laser assembly parts, power boards, case plastics, port units etc, jogcons, negcons, digital pads, analog, fight sticks, flight sticks, the works.
Only thing thats really stopping me is the worry about preventing scamming buyers who claim purchases don't work,. didn't arrive or were missing parts/etc.

Sounds like a lot of effort for questionable returns. Seems like you have to also deal with the high priced stuff to make it worth while. I've wanted to play gunners heaven since the ps1 launched. I've always been a bit salty about how Sony US treated 2d games. So I might have to look into one someday.

Futaba

Sounds like a lot of effort for questionable returns. Seems like you have to also deal with the high priced stuff to make it worth while. I've wanted to play gunners heaven since the ps1 launched. I've always been a bit salty about how Sony US treated 2d games. So I might have to look into one someday.

It depends really, because you can buy even a nasty (externally) console, for $1 here, strip it down and the individual components would be worth $15-$20, just a case of if there's actually a market for it, or for full consoles, and of course, the games/accessories.

If i ever do it, i'll have to consider the pro's and con's about selling direct or selling through a service such as eBay (which i personally hate).
I've tried selling through eBay in the past and I would just end up with 40+ games being bought in bulk, only to see the buyer throwing them all back up on ebay with $3-$5 tacked on the the pricetag of each title, i'd rather not feed a flippers market and contribute to the ever increasing price of older consoles and software.

NDPsycho

It depends really, because you can buy even a nasty (externally) console, for $1 here, strip it down and the individual components would be worth $15-$20, just a case of if there's actually a market for it, or for full consoles, and of course, the games/accessories.

If i ever do it, i'll have to consider the pro's and con's about selling direct or selling through a service such as eBay (which i personally hate).
I've tried selling through eBay in the past and I would just end up with 40+ games being bought in bulk, only to see the buyer throwing them all back up on ebay with $3-$5 tacked on the the pricetag of each title, i'd rather not feed a flippers market and contribute to the ever increasing price of older consoles and software.

All true. I guess the cost and return aren't even the main consideration if you're doing something you enjoy anyway.

Danneee

Ordered a US PS3 yesterday so I can get some PS1 retro action going.
And before someone asks why I just didn't get a modded PS1/2 it's because I'm going to use my PS3/4 HRAP stick with it.

Now any tips on where to get cheap imports (I'm in Sweden)? I'm mostly interested in In the Hunt and Marvel Super Heroes as those two isn't available on PSN. I'm looking at eBay prices and I guess that might be my best bet here.

And are there any games where the disc version is better than the PSN version of PS Classics?

NDPsycho

Ordered a US PS3 yesterday so I can get some PS1 retro action going.
And before someone asks why I just didn't get a modded PS1/2 it's because I'm going to use my PS3/4 HRAP stick with it.

Now any tips on where to get cheap imports (I'm in Sweden)? I'm mostly interested in In the Hunt and Marvel Super Heroes as those two isn't available on PSN. I'm looking at eBay prices and I guess that might be my best bet here.

And are there any games where the disc version is better than the PSN version of PS Classics?

PSN versions are the way to play them I think, when possible. Cheaper for many games and the slot loader (at least on my ps3 slim) makes a lot of faint scratches/scuffs on the ps1 disks. Learned the hard way to stop playing them on it. It doesn't make them unplayable, at least not mine, but it was pretty noticeable.

Do PS1 classics work with PS3 arcade sticks? I remember hearing that they didn't, though I suppose subsequent firmware updates may have hived compatibility since then.

Danneee

Do PS1 classics work with PS3 arcade sticks? I remember hearing that they didn't, though I suppose subsequent firmware updates may have hived compatibility since then.

I think PS2 classics are troublesome with sticks but PS1 should work. Which sucks as I bought CvsS2 yesterday...
I'll might have to buy a new stick if my HRAP doesn't work as I think my buddy's mad catz stick does.
Can't find more info than that the 4.50 update broke compability.

PSN versions are the way to play them I think, when possible. Cheaper for many games and the slot loader (at least on my ps3 slim) makes a lot of faint scratches/scuffs on the ps1 disks. Learned the hard way to stop playing them on it. It doesn't make them unplayable, at least not mine, but it was pretty noticeable.

Yeah, I bought a super slim as I don't trust the slot in on old consoles.

NDPsycho

Yeah, I bought a super slim as I don't trust the slot in on old consoles.

OMG, I never even thought of that....now I think I need to convince my wife that I really need a 3rd PS3. Totally forgot they made top loaders. I have an original and the first slim. Feelng kind of dumb now, but in your case, I'd go nuts with the physical copies then.

Danneee

OMG, I never even thought of that....now I think I need to convince my wife that I really need a 3rd PS3. Totally forgot they made top loaders. I have an original and the first slim. Feelng kind of dumb now, but in your case, I'd go nuts with the physical copies then.

Yeah, a shame American ps1 games are stupid expensive compared to European. But I couldn't stand playing inferior 50hz games so..

NDPsycho

Yeah, a shame American ps1 games are stupid expensive compared to European. But I couldn't stand playing inferior 50hz games so..

I'm a bit desensitized to the prices after years of SNES buying. Some games are certainly on the rise, but some are still relatively cheap. I'm blown away that I can still get some sealed ps1 games for under $40. Unfortunately in the hunt isn't one of them.

Danneee

I'm a bit desensitized to the prices after years of SNES buying. Some games are certainly on the rise, but some are still relatively cheap. I'm blown away that I can still get some sealed ps1 games for under $40. Unfortunately in the hunt isn't one of them.

Yeah, I've been on a 16 bit binge lately but now I'm moving on. Though it is so much easier to justify buying a cheaper loose cart than it is buying a loose disc.
And some games like R-Type Delta, Parappa and Silent Bomber are twice as expensive in the US compared to the PAL versions. On the other hand, a bunch of games like In the Hunt or Bushido Blade 2 aren't even available in PAL versions.

NDPsycho

Yeah, I've been on a 16 bit binge lately but now I'm moving on. Though it is so much easier to justify buying a cheaper loose cart than it is buying a loose disc.
And some games like R-Type Delta, Parappa and Silent Bomber are twice as expensive in the US compared to the PAL versions. On the other hand, a bunch of games like In the Hunt or Bushido Blade 2 aren't even available in PAL versions.

I completely agree. I love the durability of carts. It's very hit/miss with disks and the color of the ps1 disks show every flaw. I am very particular about the condition of the disks I'm buying if they aren't sealed. I try to buy from sellers that take returns, which is an issue if you're buying from another country.

Galdelico

I completely agree. I love the durability of carts. It's very hit/miss with disks and the color of the ps1 disks show every flaw. I am very particular about the condition of the disks I'm buying if they aren't sealed. I try to buy from sellers that take returns, which is an issue if you're buying from another country.
Quite the OT, but I read your post and truly saw myself in it alot.
I've been pretty much like you for almost two decades, now, and only recently I started to deal with the whole 'conditions of the discs' complex in a slightly different way. Of course, if I was a collector of sealed games, I'd just go for brand new stuff, but as a retrogamer and a collector, I genuinely realized how the quest for mint-by-any-means ended up adding too much stress to my gaming life, and also brought me to treat my games almost like relics. So many titles I bought, found a couple of light scuffmarks on the CD, returned or sold, bought them again brand new, then barely touched because... Hey, after so much trouble, you don't really want to ruin your sparkling Zanac X Zanac by handling it carelessly! Self-satisfaction completely gone out of control.

NDPsycho

Quite the OT, but I read your post and truly saw myself in it alot.
I've been pretty much like you for almost two decades, now, and only recently I started to deal with the whole 'conditions of the discs' complex in a slightly different way. Of course, if I was a collector of sealed games, I'd just go for brand new stuff, but as a retrogamer and a collector, I genuinely realized how the quest for mint-by-any-means ended up adding too much stress to my gaming life, and also brought me to treat my games almost like relics. So many titles I bought, found a couple of light scuffmarks on the CD, returned or sold, bought them again brand new, then barely touched because... Hey, after so much trouble, you don't really want to ruin your sparkling Zanac X Zanac by handling it carelessly! Self-satisfaction completely gone out of control.

All very true, it is more stressful than I would like, but that kind of goes with collecting. You've described what collecting is, which isn't the same as gaming, but lots of us do both. I don't obsess over all things, like I don't care about the dvd or bluray movies I buy, because I'm not collecting them. I'm also not paying as much for them, which is a factor in it. If it's something I really want to play and not just collect and I have it sealed or in as mint condition as I can afford, I'll get it digitally or pick up a second copy to play and that condition won't matter. It doesn't make sense to everyone, but what does? Stressful yeah, but it can also be pretty satisfying.

I appreciate your insight, and sometimes I wish I could approach it differently, but I'm getting a little to old to change:)

Galdelico

All very true, it is more stressful than I would like, but that kind of goes with collecting. You've described what collecting is, which isn't the same as gaming, but lots of us do both. I don't obsess over all things, like I don't care about the dvd or bluray movies I buy, because I'm not collecting them. I'm also not paying as much for them, which is a factor in it. If it's something I really want to play and not just collect and I have it sealed or in as mint condition as I can afford, I'll get it digitally or pick up a second copy to play and that condition won't matter. It doesn't make sense to everyone, but what does? Stressful yeah, but it can also be pretty satisfying.

I appreciate your insight, and sometimes I wish I could approach it differently, but I'm getting a little to old to change:)
Totally agree, collecting is a whole different story for each and every single collector. There's no right or wrong, until you're happy with what you're doing. On top of that, I've always been massively fascinated by 'sealed only' collections, so big props for that. :)

And yeah, I'm not a young boy anymore either, but thinking about that... It's probably what helped me the most to re-adjust myself on this path. Never say never. :D

Galdelico

Speaking of shooters, these babies just came up from Japan.

Raiden_zpsjgvmljck.png

Sometimes I feel tempted to grab Raiden IV, Fighters Aces and V, just to have a physical copy, even though I'll never be able to play them.

NDPsycho

Speaking of shooters, these babies just came up from Japan.

Raiden_zpsjgvmljck.png

Sometimes I feel tempted to grab Raiden IV, Fighters Ace and V, just to have a physical copy, even though I'll never be able to play them.

Very cool. I still have my copy of Raiden Project that I bought with my PS1 at launch. The system is no longer with us, having died long ago, but I still have the game, which is impressive considering how many games I used to sell back then to buy new games to play. Currently my only longbox. Good memories and it certainly aged better than battle arena toshinden....

Galdelico

Man, I just replayed Toshinden 2 a few days ago... Time hasn't been kind with that game. :D
And, I only have one longbox too, from back in the days (Rayman). Wish I bouth more, as they are quite a nightmare to deal with, nowadays.

Galdelico

It's not like Italy ever had an amazing track record, when it comes to videogame-related press/magazines, but I still remember the very day Toshinden got reviewed on Game Power and scored 105/100. Yes, it's not a typo. Someone played the actual game and decided to give it 105 out of a maximum of 100.
Oh man, good times... XD

Sojiro

Man, I just replayed Toshinden 2 a few days ago... Time hasn't been kind with that game. :D
And, I only have one longbox too, from back in the days (Rayman). Wish I bouth more, as they are quite a nightmare to deal with, nowadays.

I could see that about Toshinden. I have really fond memories of playing the first Toshinden with my buddy on his brand new (at the time of course) spiffy PS1, but I figured going back to it now would spoil the rose tint on those glasses lol.

Galdelico

I could see that about Toshinden. I have really fond memories of playing the first Toshinden with my buddy on his brand new (at the time of course) spiffy PS1, but I figured going back to it now would spoil the rose tint on those glasses lol.
Oh sure, I also remember the distinct excitement of entering this new generation of games, but... With me, it happened with WipEout and Ridge Racer. Those blew my face into a million pieces. Toshinden, I don't know, it felt like a clunky, broken mess right off the bat. I swear I'll never completely understand how so many press people got fooled, back then, especially since they had access to a much larger variety of games, compared to the average early adopter. Such a weird anomaly. :D

oh nice.. shooters
Haha, you're right, sorry. ^^; They're Raiden Project (which include the ports of both Raiden and Raiden II), and Raiden DX (arcade port once again, this time of an updated, enhanced re-release of Raiden II... Think about Metal Slug X compared to Metal Slug 2).
Still wondering whether to buy Arcade Hits: Raiden and complete the trilogy, or not.

Haha, you're right, sorry. ^^; They're Raiden Project (which include the ports of both Raiden and Raiden II), and Raiden DX (arcade port once again, this time of an updated, enhanced re-release of Raiden II... Think about Metal Slug X compared to Metal Slug 2).
Still wondering whether to buy Arcade Hits: Raiden and complete the trilogy, or not.
How does Raiden DX compare to Raiden Project? I only have the latter. Does DX have the same tate option?

Top Bottom