• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Galdelico

How does Raiden DX compare to Raiden Project? I only have the latter. Does DX have the same tate option?

I plan to proper sit down with the games during the weekend, but I can already tell you that DX comes with a truckload of different audio and video settings. TATE mode is there, and it's called 'Arcade'.
As far as I read, it's an enhanced revision of Raiden II, and it features three different 'solo' modes, named Alpha, Bravo and Charlie. The former is basically a survival/training session, where you have to go through a 15 minutes long stage, and then beat its boss, with no continues and extra lives. Bravo sounds like the beginner course - and the most similar to Raiden II - consisting in 5 different stages, whereas Charlie (or Expert) spans a grand total of 8 stages, with an extra one in the end. Really looking forward to try them out!

NDPsycho

The store I picked it up from has another copy (complete) for 324 yen (about $3)

Ended up getting a copy of rival schools this week, just waiting for it to arrive. Got a US one though and paid a lot more than $3...hope it's fun. Will I like it after having played project justice? I know it'll be a hit to the graphics, but does it play well and have unique content or will it just be a lesser experience?

Hello all,

I've managed to snag a copy of these:

2iZGv2q.jpg

0DQtCAO.jpg

I've never really played Spyro before so I wasn't expecting much...Hot damn, these games are freaking fun! I purchased them simply because I wanted them in my collection but when I started Spyro the Dragon, sooner than later I realized I already made it past the first world! And now I am about to complete the second one. The gameplay is smooth and the graphics are top notch.

Really glad with the rest. Unfortunately I do not have the instruction booklet for brigandine. I'll try to grab it on ebay one day....

Tobal.......hasn't aged all that well. The arcade is still fun I guess but the Quest mode is infuriating with the terrible controls. The good stuff is that the entire package, including the FFVII demo, is incredibly mint.

I wanted to grab Forsaken since I really liked it back then. I always thought of it as a spiritual successor to Descent. Never actually beat the game though so It's going to be my second chance at it. On thing I remember is how smooth the game is on PS1. The game seems to run at 60fps on many occasions.

Finally, Contra.......What a stab in the back....Okay, so, the first level is actually pretty descent, as it's very reminiscent of the old school 2D contra games. I actually thought the game would be just like that for the entirety. Wrong, it actually turns into obligatory policy enforced 3D gameplay that, while not being terrible, is still a huge disappointment, especially after the first level....Trolling at its best.

Sojiro

Oh sure, I also remember the distinct excitement of entering this new generation of games, but... With me, it happened with WipEout and Ridge Racer. Those blew my face into a million pieces. Toshinden, I don't know, it felt like a clunky, broken mess right off the bat. I swear I'll never completely understand how so many press people got fooled, back then, especially since they had access to a much larger variety of games, compared to the average early adopter. Such a weird anomaly. :D

Haha, you're right, sorry. ^^; They're Raiden Project (which include the ports of both Raiden and Raiden II), and Raiden DX (arcade port once again, this time of an updated, enhanced re-release of Raiden II... Think about Metal Slug X compared to Metal Slug 2).
Still wondering whether to buy Arcade Hits: Raiden and complete the trilogy, or not.

Yeah, for us it was the first 3D fighter we had played so it really blew us away. It definitely wasn't as good as a fighter as Street Fighter, even back then we thought that, but we were really enjoying it, much more than a few other posts did thats for sure lol. I think we were around 13 when we played it, and to us, it was amazing :). Ridge Racer was another one we really liked, but it was only a demo disc we had of it initially.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hello all,

I've managed to snag a copy of these:

2iZGv2q.jpg

0DQtCAO.jpg

I've never really played Spyro before so I wasn't expecting much...Hot damn, these games are freaking fun! I purchased them simply because I wanted them in my collection but when I started Spyro the Dragon, sooner than later I realized I already made it past the first world! And now I am about to complete the second one. The gameplay is smooth and the graphics are top notch.

Really glad with the rest. Unfortunately I do not have the instruction booklet for brigandine. I'll try to grab it on ebay one day....

Tobal.......hasn't aged all that well. The arcade is still fun I guess but the Quest mode is infuriating with the terrible controls. The good stuff is that the entire package, including the FFVII demo, is incredibly mint.

I wanted to grab Forsaken since I really liked it back then. I always thought of it as a spiritual successor to Descent. Never actually beat the game though so It's going to be my second chance at it. On thing I remember is how smooth the game is on PS1. The game seems to run at 60fps on many occasions.

Finally, Contra.......What a stab in the back....Okay, so, the first level is actually pretty descent, as it's very reminiscent of the old school 2D contra games. I actually thought the game would be just like that for the entirety. Wrong, it actually turns into obligatory policy enforced 3D gameplay that, while not being terrible, is still a huge disappointment, especially after the first level....Trolling at its best.

So jelly for that Spyro-collection, looks seriously great!

Just went through a nightmare trying to get my PS1 laser assembly working again. It wasn't spinning the disc at all. Turns out it was a fuse on the mainboard! PS601 bypassed with a simple bridge and everything is working again.

My PS1 is SCPH-5501 if anyone ever has the same issue.

Can someone explain for me what exactly about the SCPH-1002 makes it into such a sought after item by audiosociopaths? All I could run into while trying to find info about repairing CD laser unit online was for that revision; it was just frustrating to see that over and over again.

Can someone explain for me what exactly about the SCPH-1002 makes it into such a sought after item by audiosociopaths? All I could run into while trying to find info about repairing CD laser revision online was for that unit; it was just frustrating to see that over and over again.

I remember hearing unsubstantiated claims that the PlayStation with RCA outputs on the back was a ridiculously high quality CD player, or something.
I've also read that the whole thing was actually false so who knows.

televator

Can someone explain for me what exactly about the SCPH-1002 makes it into such a sought after item by audiosociopaths? All I could run into while trying to find info about repairing CD laser unit online was for that revision; it was just frustrating to see that over and over again.

It has a less crappy audio DAC. That's it.

Teknoman

Sorry for the delay on sending the stuff out, i'll be shipping out the games next week since my vacation had some bad weather, and work has ramped up again.

Hey all,

Here's the new acquisitions!

kP42SM6.jpg

I'm not too happy about Silent Hill being a GH, but the price ($15) was good. Still haven't played Azure Dreams. Apparently it is very unique and charming. I guess I'll have to figure it out for myself.

Got Bloody Roar for a bargain price too. Nice I'll have to hunt for the second one.

Regarding Legend of Mana and Tron Bonne, I purchased both from the same guy. I won't lie, it costed a lot...

Now it opened my collection for the other MM games... MML, MML2, MM8, MMX4-6.....sigh....

televator

Which implies the ps1 has a crappy dac which it does not

It's not exactly "audiophile" components either way. PS3 with certain filtration settings going to a proper receiver completely outdoes PS1 playback.

Hey all,

Here's the new acquisitions!

kP42SM6.jpg

I'm not too happy about Silent Hill being a GH, but the price ($15) was good. Still haven't played Azure Dreams. Apparently it is very unique and charming. I guess I'll have to figure it out for myself.

Got Bloody Roar for a bargain price too. Nice I'll have to hunt for the second one.

Regarding Legend of Mana and Tron Bonne, I purchased both from the same guy. I won't lie, it costed a lot...

Now it opened my collection for the other MM games... MML, MML2, MM8, MMX4-6.....sigh....

Pretty nice. If you're still bothered by that silent hill, I recommend keeping and eye out for the graphite cover version of the black label. They are the first edition NTSC copies and haven't been censored like later versions.

IrishNinja

ah, did SH get censored in later versions? what all was changed? i recall people talking about the first editions & a smoke cover of some sort, but i forget why

televator

ah, did SH get censored in later versions? what all was changed? i recall people talking about the first editions & a smoke cover of some sort, but i forget why

I call it the "graphite cover" you know when you take a number 2 pencil and fill in large areas of paper using hard strokes? That exactly what it looks like. It's hard to spot, but if you compare it side by side with a censored version, you'll really notice which is which. Some of the enemies resembling children were replaced by "teddy bear" looking enemies. That's one thing I remember. Pretty sure there were other changes.

IrishNinja

ohhh, i thought this'd be about the faceless child things wandering the schools, that one's easy to determine then since it happens so early on. ive never even seen the bears before!

televator

Yeah, if you have no physical comparison, you can determine it quickly by playing and checking out those first enemies. I used to have like 3 graphite copies. I kept one obviously. Sold the other 2 to a mod here and another regular GAFer.

Yeah, if you have no physical comparison, you can determine it quickly by playing and checking out those first enemies. I used to have like 3 graphite copies. I kept one obviously. Sold the other 2 to a mod here and another regular GAFer.

what's the other cover look like that is non graphite... i can't tell looking at ebay

televator

what's the other cover look like that is non graphite... i can't tell looking at ebay

It's really hard to tell from a single photograph. Its hard to pick up the graphite on camera. It sorta looks like a film negative IRL. I know that the "children" are depicted on the back cover, but idk if other versions have the same back cover.

Edit:
The spine No. SLUS-00707
Bar code 083717170372
Disc No. IFPI 7215 - read side, P 104 - label side

If pspersleeves would be so kind and see if any details differ in his copy, or anyone with a censored black copy... That'd be great.

It's really hard to tell from a single photograph. Its hard to pick up the graphite on camera. It sorta looks like a film negative IRL. I know that the "children" are depicted on the back cover, but idk if other versions have the same back cover.

Edit:
The spine No. SLUS-00707
Bar code 083717170372

If pspersleeves would be so kind and see if any details differ in his copy, or anyone with a censored black copy... That'd be great.

thanks!

Galdelico

Edit:
The spine No. SLUS-00707
Bar code 083717170372

Do other NTSC-UC versions of Silent Hill exist, other than the first black label print (SLUS-00707) and the Greatest Hits rerelease? The video you posted above seems to highlight the changes that have been made to the PAL/Japanese game, compared to the American one.

televator

Do other NTSC-UC versions of Silent Hill exist, other than the first black label print (SLUS-00707) and the Greatest Hits rerelease? The video you posted above seems to highlight the changes that have been made to the PAL/Japanese game, compared to the American one.

Yes, the latter NTSC-U versions (non-graphite black label and GH) share the same changes as the NTSC-J and PAL regions.

Galdelico

I wasn't aware of that. Can I ask you where you can read the numbers on the disc? I own the black label print, and the SLUS/bar-code do actually match with those you reported, but I can't find anything on the disc.

Edit --- The only code I can spot on the disc (label side) is by the end of the outer, circular writing, and it says PSRM-011540.

televator

I wasn't aware of that. Can I ask you where you can read the numbers on the disc? I own the black label print, and the SLUS/bar-code do actually match with those you reported, but I can't find anything on the disc.

Edit --- The only code I can spot on the disc (label side) is by the end of the outer, circular writing, and it says PSRM-011540.

The bottom one took a magnifying tool for me to read. lol

The number I read for the label is in the inner ring. I didn't even notice the number on th outer edge. PSRM-011540, so that number matches as well.

Galdelico

Aw man... Mine says 117 on the label, and IFPI 7244 on the back. Am I screwed? U_U

I played the game with my very first PAL copy, and bought it again NTSC for collecting purposes (hence why I don't remember about any censorship being in or not).

Khaz

I checked mine (bought used), which has a shiny grey cover. All the numbers match, except for the tiny one on the back of the disc, which is IFPI 7228. I can't find "P 104 - label side"

I haven't actually played the game yet, so I can't say which enemies are in.

Galdelico

I checked mine (bought used), which has a shiny grey cover. All the numbers match, except for the tiny one on the back of the disc, which is IFPI 7228. I can't find "P 104 - label side"

You have to look at the disc with the label upside down, and it's close to the hole (it's super tiny, I had to use hand lens too :D).

XNarte

Hi PS1-GAF. This thread always filled me with glee whenever I'd see it bumped on the main page, because I love the PS1 so much, in all of it's chunky and innovative glory, and it felt good to see so many others feel the same way.

Due to some big changes in my personal life, I have pared down my game collection pretty heavily, selling off a good chunk of my games and forcing myself into collecting only games that I really want to play, childhood classics, and modern stuff I want to play.

Oh yeah...and I am going for a FULL NA PlayStation set! I still love the hunt of collecting retro, and even though I am limiting my spending and selling quite a bit, this is the kind of re-focusing I want to do for my collection.

I am also documenting my collection as it grows on YouTube, so if anyone wants to check it out, please do! It's called PlayStation Pursuit, and I have a new episode going up shortly so I wanted to share the first episode for those who might be interested. Wish me luck in the hunt!

PlayStation Pursuit

alf717

My SH is PSRM-011540 and IFPI-502F. My copy has the mumblers and not claw fingers. Wish there was a version that fixed the boiler memo.

televator

My SH is PSRM-011540 and IFPI-502F. My copy has the mumblers and not claw fingers. Wish there was a version that fixed the boiler memo.

NTSC region? Yeah, I remeber that there's at least 3 revisions. They changed claw finger to mumblers or vice versa.

alf717

NTSC region? Yeah, I remeber that there's at least 3 revisions. They changed claw finger to mumblers or vice versa.

Yep it is NTSC. I just checked some greatest hits versions and the first set of monster from that video are shown on the back of those cases. I don't own any to test though. I never heard of a censored US version. This site might help out with the shiny dark cover thing talked about earlier.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150114...ct_guide/releasedgames/silent_hill/index.html

televator

Shiny you say? I think the P104 number might be it. I've dome some googling....

North American disc is the following: IFPI 50xx, 51xx, 72xx

The number on the top inner ring is what's known as a Mastering code. I suppose this means that it identifies the original master from which discs are copied for mass production. So I might theorized that P104 is the magic number.

Galdelico

Shiny you say? I think the P104 number might be it. I've dome some googling....

North American disc is the following: IFPI 50xx, 51xx, 72xx

The number on the top inner ring is what's known as a Mastering code. I suppose this means that it identifies the original master from which discs are copied for mass production. So I might theorized that P104 is the magic number.
I'll definitely check it out, in the weekend. Especially since my copy has the shiny cover that is mentioned in the link above.

televator

I'll definitely check it out, in the weekend. Especially since my copy has the shiny cover that is mentioned in the link above.

Please do. It'd be great if we can determine a good way to identify the first edition disc in a manner that is a bit easier to tell rather than "the shiny cover." lol

We could eliminate the confusion this way.

Yep it is NTSC. I just checked some greatest hits versions and the first set of monster from that video are shown on the back of those cases. I don't own any to test though. I never heard of a censored US version. This site might help out with the shiny dark cover thing talked about earlier.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150114...ct_guide/releasedgames/silent_hill/index.html

It's possible I could be totally wrong about censored US versions. It was long time ago that I read up on this stuff but there was a quite a few things changed. Like the ghosts of children being removed from the school.

Galdelico

Please do. It'd be great if we can determine a good way to identify the first edition disc in a manner that is a bit easier to tell rather than "the shiny cover." lol

We could eliminate the confusion this way.

Sure thing.
It's been AGES since I last played the game, and I have fuzzy memories about it. Honestly, I can't even remember when you first encounter the mumblers. If there's anything specific that's worth noting, please let me know. ^_-

televator

Sure thing.
It's been AGES since I last played the game, and I have fuzzy memories about it. Honestly, I can't even remember when you first encounter the mumblers. If there's anything specific that's worth noting, please let me know. ^_-

Mumblers appear in the sewer iirc.

Also, I could have easily misinterpreted the Wikipedia bio on the game:
In the European version of Silent Hill, the Grey Child monsters were replaced by "Mumbler" monsters, which appear later in the North American version.

Plus there is a lot of shaky talk about different US, PAL, and Japanese versions. So if I've stirred up a fuss all for nothing I apologize, but hey, at least you do get the limited run of the graphite cover. However if this gets us all to play NTSC Silent Hill and see if there really are any differences, that could be interesting. We could look out for grey child replaced by mumblers in the beginning and in the school. And also the ghost children that appear in the school.

Galdelico

No problem dude, actually I find all this stuff pretty interesting - no matter if it'll come out to be true or not - not to mention it's a great excuse to dust off some Silent Hill. :D

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up the Spyro Collector's Edition today as well as Dawn of the Dragon on Wii. Should be a fun time playing trough these games for the first time

Hi,

Regarding Silent Hill...

Here's what my GH says:

SLUS-0070717037
0 83717 17037 2
IFPI 50E7
P-(too small to read)

I booted the game and can confirm monsters in the first area are the children, not the bear-claw stuff. Also, the back of the case shows the children, not the other stuff.

Still haven't made it to the school so I cannot confirm if anything is actually censored but so far so good!

Top Bottom