• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

televator

Hi,

Regarding Silent Hill...

Here's what my GH says:

SLUS-0070717037
0 83717 17037 2
IFPI 50E7
P-(too small to read)

I booted the game and can confirm monsters in the first area are the children, not the bear-claw stuff. Also, the back of the case shows the children, not the other stuff.

Still haven't made it to the school so I cannot confirm if anything is actually censored but so far so good!

Nice! Thanks for reporting in. It looks like I was way off base, but it's good news in the end. Everyone in NTSC region can enjoy the originally intended version.

I don't necessarily collect for ps 1 but I have found a game store near me that has great selection and pricing so I've picked up some games I always wanted. I recently picked up Final Fantasy Tactics and played through the game. I really liked it after I figured out the job system. I also picked up Vandal Hearts and Suikoden which I will tackle next.

televator

so what does that mean? the graphite version is not the only version that has the uncensored version? i need to see which one to get...

All NTSC-U discs have the same content and are uncensored. NTSC-J and PAL are censored. Sorry to cause so much confusion. I should have verified my information before posting.

Edit: I will say this though... The graphite cover is pretty cool. :p Appears to be the P104 disc... for what that's worth.

alf717

All NTSC-U discs have the same content and are uncensored. NTSC-J and PAL are censored. Sorry to cause so much confusion. I should have verified my information before posting.

Edit: I will say this though... The graphite cover is pretty cool. :p Appears to be the P104 disc... for what that's worth.

I'm interested in having a look at one but they seem hard to spot. This reminds me of Star Ocean the 2nd Story. Some prints have shiny labels and others do not. It was discussed here before way back. Variant collecting is just wacko stuff. Working Design games are a nightmare and if you are super hard core Tomb Raider has many variants some you can't even tell until you power up the game.

tumblr_o33k2bxOJY1rkrwaco1_1280.jpg

can't stop laughing at this shit

thanks!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Weird... so I wonder where the idea that some of the US versions were censored came from, then?

I guess I feel more confident buying the game if they are all, indeed, uncensored.

televator

You're welcome.

Weird... so I wonder where the idea that some of the US versions were censored came from, then?

I guess I feel more confident buying the game if they are all, indeed, uncensored.

Yes, do feel free to buy any NTSC version and ignore my crap information prior to the post you quoted. I suspect the idea was mostly a misunderstanding on my part, but there are threads sprinkled around the web with people as misinformed as I was.

Hi all,

Here are the newcomers in my collection:

cRitNnw.jpg

I've waited for a long long time until I could find a complete longbox edition of Doom. As for the rest of the grab, I am really glad all around. Everything is in good shape. I am happy about black label small case Twisted Metal 1. Apparently it isn't really all that common.

I know that Twisted Metal 3 & 4 weren't exactly loved by the fan of the series when they came out, but TM3 will always have a special place in my heart. My best childhood friend received the game as a Christmas gift in 1998 and we played the shit out of that game, even though we acknowledged it wasn't as good as the second one. Still, the physics were nice and we liked the soundtrack. Also, the vehicle selection is imo just as good as TM2.

But wow, TM4 sucks. The driving physics is baaaaad :O They also changed the control for the worse. The vehicles all feel similar and uninspired. I wanted to grab small brawl just so I'd have all the titles, but I heard the physics are even worse than TM4 :(

Not sure what to do now....

Edit: I thought I edited my last post. Sorry for double posting!

Danny Dudekisser

You're welcome.

Yes, do feel free to buy any NTSC version and ignore my crap information prior to the post you quoted. I suspect the idea was mostly a misunderstanding on my part, but there are threads sprinkled around the web with people as misinformed as I was.

That's the thing -- I'd read that the NTSC-U versions were different a number of times before. I just think it's cool that we seem to have finally resolved that whole thing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
About Resident Evil Director's Cut - Dual Shock edition. Was this only in Greatest Hits copies?

I know Resident Evil 2 Dual Shock edition game in a non-Greatest Hits box.

But if you're releasing them both at the same time I can see how the old RE1 is a GH while RE2 is still a full price title.

About Resident Evil Director's Cut - Dual Shock edition. Was this only in Greatest Hits copies?

I know Resident Evil 2 Dual Shock edition game in a non-Greatest Hits box.

But if you're releasing them both at the same time I can see how the old RE1 is a GH while RE2 is still a full price title.

It only came as GH, sorry :)

Timu

One huge advantage of playing PS1 games on PSP is that you don't have to worry about 480i in games like Bloody Roar 2 and Tekken 3 which are 480i only on PS1. So nice to play them without the need to deinterlace.

televator

One huge advantage of playing PS1 games on PSP is that you don't have to worry about 480i in games like Bloody Roar 2 and Tekken 3 which are 480i only on PS1. So nice to play them without the need to deinterlace.

That reminds me... I should hack my PSP.
sophiscated_cat.PNG

Loxley

So out of nowhere I got a wild hair up my ass and decided to start a modest PS1 collection. I formed a list of about 26 games to grab, and the first batch I ordered included Tekken 3, Syphon Filter 2, Final Fantasy Anthology (V & VI) and Final Fantasy Chronicles (Chrono Trigger & FFIV). Mind you I don't actually own a PSone yet, but I wanted to build a library first before picking one up. Looking forward to working my way through these again, it's been a long time.

kaiju

Sold my copy of Shadow Tower for $150. Bought it for $20 a year or so ago. Haven't made that much on a PS1 game since selling my original Suikoden II.

That Dark Souls hype is real.

Recall

Played some Soulblade today on my trusty PS1 and I still think the intro is one of my favourites from that gen. It feels...epic and the tune is catchy too.

Khaz

I never got into Soul Blade. I think one reason was because of the fake arena that you can't be kicked off, unless by a special attack. Coming from Virtua Fighter, I felt cheated and thought It would have been better if they had walls that could break like in Fighting Vipers. That would have been more honest with the gameplay mechanic

New week, new acquisitions!

sn3HV5A.jpg

Bushido Blade:

Fun stuff. I actually never played it before. The combat can either be really quick or quite long, depending of your play style. Since you can be killed in one hit, you decide on whether you go all out or take the time to find an ouverture. I also love how you can freely roam in the 3d environment. Good graphics too. You can tell this game is using many camera tricks to hide the PS1 limitations. One thing that sucks though is how many characters you get. Only 7, and one of them is hidden. So, as much as MK1. This feels very vintage. I've beat the story mode in little time too. Good thing the gameplay differentiates itself from the rest.

X-Men VS Street Fighter:

I've heard very bad things about this version: frame cut, slow down issues, long load time, lack of tag mode. Turns out, they're all (mostly) true. The framerate holds up the 60hz refresh for the most part, only dropping a bit when doing team attacks. Barely noticeable. The speed of the game really is slower though. All in in, the game is perfectly playable on the PS1. the graphics are not as good and there are loading screens, but if you are used to PS1 load speed, this won't be a problem. Unfortunately, I do not have the manual for this and there are some writing on the cd. But since I got the game for a stupidly low price, I'm still really happy about this acquisition.

Mega Man Legends 2:

Ok, here's the deal. I am not a mega man fan. I guess I just never got into it, you know? Most likely, I just suck at them. I feel like I get hit by every fucking enemies on screen no matter what. It's like Dr. Light fucking made mega man's armor with bullet magnet materials. But since those games are well regarded and because it is so different from the 2D plat-former it is being known for, I've decided to acquire them for the sake of the collection.

So I've started the purchase with Tronbonne. First comment: Holy fucking shit at the price of admission for physical copy owner. Are you kidding me? Good thing the game was good, otherwise this would have left me with a salty taste in my mouth. Now, even though MML2 isn't exactly a cheap game to acquire, you can still purchase about 3 copies of it for the same price you would pay for a single copy of Tronbonne. All in all, not too shaby!

Now, MML2..........Where to begin? Simply put, wow! This game aged so well, it's just incredible. The style they went for feels so modern. the voice acting is great, but so is the quality of the voice samples­. The graphics are top notch. Another game which hides the PS1 limitation very well. The cutscenes are beautifully done, the music is good, the gameplay is fun. The controls take some times getting used to, but other than that, the game does a good job at pulling me in. This game is fucking guuuuuuuuud. I think I'll play this one for good as soon as I complete Uncharted 4.

Rayman 2:

Never played the version of that game. I've haven't actually started playing it. Is the game still a good experience on PS1? What should I expect?

Mega Man Legends 2:

Ok, here's the deal. I am not a mega man fan. I guess I just never got into it, you know? Most likely, I just suck at them. I feel like I get hit by every fucking enemies on screen no matter what. It's like Dr. Light fucking made mega man's armor with bullet magnet materials. But since those games are well regarded and because it is so different from the 2D plat-former it is being known for, I've decided to acquire them for the sake of the collection.

So I've started the purchase with Tronbonne. First comment: Holy fucking shit at the price of admission for physical copy owner. Are you kidding me? Good thing the game was good, otherwise this would have left me with a salty taste in my mouth. Now, even though MML2 isn't exactly a cheap game to acquire, you can still purchase about 3 copies of it for the same price you would pay for a single copy of Tronbonne. All in all, not too shaby!

Now, MML2..........Where to begin? Simply put, wow! This game aged so well, it's just incredible. The style they went for feels so modern. the voice acting is great, but so is the quality of the voice samples­. The graphics are top notch. Another game which hides the PS1 limitation very well. The cutscenes are beautifully done, the music is good, the gameplay is fun. The controls take some times getting used to, but other than that, the game does a good job at pulling me in. This game is fucking guuuuuuuuud. I think I'll play this one for good as soon as I complete Uncharted 4.

Best go back and play the first game as well. I felt that other then looks and controls the first MML game was the best one. Defiantly liked the world and exploration more.

This thread and the pics reminded me of when I was in a store in London and saw WWF Attitude in a store on the shelf. Good times. Subscribed.

I need to catch up. I only have 3 of my PS1 games. The rest were given away when I was a kid :/

Danneee

Recieved my US PS3 the other day and put down än order for my first batch of PS1 games: Cool Boarders 3, Forsaken, Road Rash and Bushido Blade 2!
Can't wait to play RR!

Mzo

So I'm thinking of doing a chronological playthrough of all Batman games (tentatively titled Chron-Batman) and it turns out the Batman Forever arcade game ports are expensive! I've never even seen the game, so I guess that's why. Anyone out there interested in selling their complete PS copy for a reasonable price? Worth a try.

There are like a million different versions of each Batman game that came out, all pretty different. Kind of nuts that there was very, very little around until the 1989 movie. I expected at least some shit Batman Atari game.

AmyS

This year marks the 20th anniversary of Tekken 3 in arcades.

The System 12 Hardware ("PS1.5") arcade Tekken 3 is still my favorite 3D fighting game of all time.

taF04Vx.jpg

Edit: When I saw and read this, it made me wanna shell out for a Tekken 3 Arcade kit.

WSzkADY.png

the younger, more foolish me did not win.
Was finally happy with the
Arcade History Mode in PS2 Tekken 5
version of Tekken 3 :D

Danny Dudekisser

Tekken 3 was '96? Naahhhh that can't be right. I know I was reading previews for it in Gamefan in February '97. Was it really out that soon?

Kinda nuts, cuz by that point, Tekken 2 was still that new hotness for me. I only ever got to play that game at Pizza Hut.

Tekken 3 was '96? Naahhhh that can't be right. I know I was reading previews for it in Gamefan in February '97. Was it really out that soon?

Kinda nuts, cuz by that point, Tekken 2 was still that new hotness for me. I only ever got to play that game at Pizza Hut.

97 for Arcades, 98 for PS1. Both released in March? I think..

AmyS

I could be wrong but IIRC I remember playing something like a 60% complete Tekken 3 at two, maybe three test locations in late '96 in the.Chicago area:

Niles, Illinois - Golf Mill Shopping Center - Cyberstation arcade.
Waukegan, Illinois - Lakehurst Mall - Aladdin's Castle arcade.
Vernon Hills, Illinois - Hawthorn Mall arcade. The one that existed before they ripped it out and had a Dave & Buster's.

Having memories of that, plus the 1996 date on the title screen always makes me think it was late 96.
But yeah, a completed Tekken 3 wasn't really in arcades or widespread 'til early '97.

97 for Arcades, 98 for PS1. Both released in March? I think..

PS1 version:
March 26th in Japan (I my import copy before the end of the month) and April 29th in the U.S.

Danny Dudekisser

Tekken 3 was my first PS1 game, though, and it changed my fuckin' life.

I don't think I've ever been so enamored with a fighting game.

Khaz

So I'm thinking of doing a chronological playthrough of all Batman games (tentatively titled Chron-Batman) and it turns out the Batman Forever arcade game ports are expensive! I've never even seen the game, so I guess that's why. Anyone out there interested in selling their complete PS copy for a reasonable price? Worth a try.

There are like a million different versions of each Batman game that came out, all pretty different. Kind of nuts that there was very, very little around until the 1989 movie. I expected at least some shit Batman Atari game.

The CPC/Spectrum game based on the TV series is... interesting to say the least. The Batman Forever demo for the CPC was really impressive, but probably doesn't mean much for anyone outside of the scene. Also, it's not a commercial game so outside of your scope I suppose.

Are you making a video out of your playthrough? That would make for a cool documentary.

Mzo

Are you making a video out of your playthrough? That would make for a cool documentary.

Yes, I'm thinking of starting back up with Youtube videos now that I'm settled at my new place and Chron-Batman will probably be my first project. Nothing too pricey that I don't already own outside of the SNES Adventures of Batman and Robin, so that helps.

I wanted to do a chronological series, but not an entire fucking complete library, which is mad.

Yes, I'm thinking of starting back up with Youtube videos now that I'm settled at my new place and Chron-Batman will probably be my first project. Nothing too pricey that I don't already own outside of the SNES Adventures of Batman and Robin, so that helps.

I wanted to do a chronological series, but not an entire fucking complete library, which is mad.

I like this idea much more than watching an entire library. It's nice that it'll be documented, but it's just not practical that I would watch every game. This I would.

Edit: You gonna play this one?

Batman Sinclair ZX81/Spectrum

Top Bottom