• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Argh. Don't remind me. I had that LE for R4 but threw away the box years later to save space. The dangers of moving a lot. I really regret that.

Borman

I had it as well, but it was damaged. Not really sure what happened to it, I thought Id still have it actually. I have the controller still...

For all the R4 fans in this thread, here are some pics of my collector's edition:

img20130426211646692.jpg

img20130426211704444.jpg

img20130426211842370.jpg

I still haven't played it :/

remember wanting this when it came out...got the game and loved it...sadly no jog con though....enjoy it for me!!

Borman

Dug out my jogcon. No RR4 box though, so like I thought it probably got trashed at some point :\ Also dug out a few PS1 games, mostly complete still which is nice, and my original 3rd party (mad catz maybe, no markings on it other than "MEMORY CARD") purple memory card which never lost a save. Was a good night.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Blue ones are tough since they usually (the early ones anyway) require an external power supply. I owned a green one for a while. Now I just have the PS2 TEST.

IMG_7316.png

(Mine was ugly, but cheap. Obviously had it on lock-down over at Acclaim)

Very cool stuff.

alf717

I have a pretty decent collection of PS1 titles. I am more of a Nintendo fan than Sony but back in my teen years the PS1 had so many games. I built quite a collection over the years. I traded in so many of my games for a GameCube. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I have my cube but the collector inside of me wanted those games back and boy am I glad I decided to get them back before prices skyrocket on some of them. Got rid of so many Squaresoft titles it was silly of me to do so. I got it all back though with the exception of one but that is because I just don't want it back. ;P

Not really special but it's kinda special for me are Playstation demo disc. Here are my collection for the Ps1 demo disc I own as of now.

Awwww... i remember buying OPM for the monthly demo discs... the ICO one was epic, i just hated when the discs would get a little glue on them because of the envelope they used thus rendering it unplayable, and having to buy another mag.

For all the R4 fans in this thread, here are some pics of my collector's edition:

img20130426211646692.jpg

img20130426211704444.jpg

img20130426211842370.jpg

I still haven't played it :/
Oh nice! Thanks for that. I bought two of those when they came out for link play and so at least two people could have Jogcons. They weren't bad controllers, but they were nothing compared to the mighty neGcon.

Teknoman

Awesome man! Did you get it from ebay or did you find it in the wild?

Wild, insanely lucky. I went to a flea market today that was really out of our area, and found nothing worth getting. Stuff was either too scratched or missing cases/discs/etc. Kinda dejected about that and the fact that a sunny day had turned into a stormy one, I decided to just make a casual stop by a local thrift store after stopping for some gas.

Couldnt believe my eyes when I saw that case, and even more so when I opened it and it was the right disc with no scratches at all! Never thought i'd find Einhander for a good price after losing it so long ago. Definitely stopping by that thrift store more often.

Carnby

Wild, insanely lucky. I went to a flea market today that was really out of our area, and found nothing worth getting. Stuff was either too scratched or missing cases/discs/etc. Kinda dejected about that and the fact that a sunny day had turned into a stormy one, I decided to just make a casual stop by a local thrift store after stopping for some gas.

Couldnt believe my eyes when I saw that case, and even more so when I opened it and it was the right disc with no scratches at all! Never thought i'd find Einhander for a good price after losing it so long ago. Definitely stopping by that thrift store more often.

I'm assuming you got it for less than 20 dollars? I see it often in the wild for 20 dollars, which I don't think is that bad of a price.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Definitely a nice find.

I still have my unopened copy sitting around here somewhere. I rented Einhander once and played it for like 10 minutes. Seemed cool. *shrugs*

I really should get around to it.

Teknoman

I'm assuming you got it for less than 20 dollars? I see it often in the wild for 20 dollars, which I don't think is that bad of a price.

I'd have definitely payed 20, but yeah I got it for $6.96. Never seen it in the wild since the first time I bought the game from a pawn shop in the PS1's heyday.

FaintDeftone

I picked up Pandemonium today, a little Crystal Dynamics platforming gem that nobody seemed to play. Holds up pretty well and still fun to play. I was actually wanting this game on the Saturn but I found it today pretty cheap (a lot cheaper than eBay prices) and jumped on it.

I picked up Pandemonium today, a little Crystal Dynamics platforming gem that nobody seemed to play. Holds up pretty well and still fun to play. I was actually wanting this game on the Saturn but I found it today pretty cheap (a lot cheaper than eBay prices) and jumped on it.
Used to play that on my n-gage. Despite the poor horizontal views it was still a fun platformer.

Dereck

Guys, am trying to continue with my Playstion collection. However, i read online that the anything other than black labels aren't really anything special (Great hits). Is this true?
There is zero significance between the two expect for bragging rights.

Yuterald

Just finished Ace Combat 2 for the first time yesterday. WOW. Easily became one of my favorite Ace titles. At one point yesterday I was going to put it down, but the missions were so much fun and were paced so well that I played 10+ missions in a row until I saw the credits. I completed the game on Hard, but I missed a ton of secret missions and "Ace" pilots so I still have a lot to do before I 100% the game. Not quite sure if I'll jump into the game again at the moment. I really want to play Ace Combat 3 now.

You know, this is also the only Ace game I've played where the game ranks you on a run of the game. There's no individual stage rank, but rather an entire playthrough/campaign rank that is awarded to you at the end of the game (almost like how old school, good Resident Evil games used to score/rank you). I wonder when individual stage ranks were introduced, maybe in Ace Combat 3? I don't know.

Holy SHIT at the soundtrack too. I mean, I love the PS2 Ace Combat OST's, but Ace Combat 2 is NO JOKE either in the killer tunes department:

Night and Day

This is probably my favorite track in the game. It's got that Ace Combat: Zero flamingo guitar shit going on. It just sounds like so much fun, lol! Yo, Project Aces, where did this music go? Could you please make a REAL Ace Combat game for PS4 or some shit and bring back the slap base and killer guitar riffs? Jesus Christ, I wish games/devs had more fun with these days. Everyone and everything has to be so fucking serious and boring now. Puts me to sleep.

Sunset Glow is really good too. I played Ace Combat on 3DS before this one and I totally forgot that game was "remake" of Ace Combat 2. I wonder which tracks now were remixed for that game?

Oh, and some slap bass for the road.

I almost bought a copy of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete last night, but just couldn't pull the trigger. I don't really collect games, but I was thinking of starting a small collection of PS1 JRPGs. It was $45 I think.

Danny Dudekisser

I kinda want to pick up Lunar again, but I kinda hated it back when I had it. Game was so insanely slow. I dunno. Maybe I shouldn't bother.

Teknoman

I see what you guys were saying about R4. The graphics are pretty good and the soundtrack is excellent, but it does take some getting used to 30 fps racing again, especially when starting with slower cars in the grand prix mode.

I know Daytona USA is 30 fps as well, but it seems like there is a great sense of speed there earlier on. Messing around with some of the higher speed cars in R4 time attack, its definitely there.

IrishNinja

man hearing the non-love for Lunar hurts my soul...i got a Sega-CD nearly at launch and since i never found Snatcher & others, that series was the absolute highlight of the system, for me. PSX remakes were grand, plot changes aside

kuroshiki

man hearing the non-love for Lunar hurts my soul...i got a Sega-CD nearly at launch and since i never found Snatcher & others, that series was the absolute highlight of the system, for me. PSX remakes were grand, plot changes aside

Lunar was the most boring ass RPG besides Wild Arms 3 I ever played.

Lunar 2 on the other hand.....

IrishNinja

Lunar was the most boring ass RPG besides Wild Arms 3 I ever played.

Lunar 2 on the other hand.....

aw man what
1 was fantastic, i mean i played it way more on Sega-CD but still good, certainly more memorable than wild arms! 2 is far far better though, agreed

Teknoman

Lunar 1 feels slow (battle wise) but not slow enough to where I would lose interest. Plus the music, art, and VA kinda draw me in.

Also makes me wish Wild Arms 1 and 2 went with 2D sprites for the battle scenes instead of early 3D.

kuroshiki

aw man what
1 was fantastic, i mean i played it way more on Sega-CD but still good, certainly more memorable than wild arms! 2 is far far better though, agreed

Dude I actually bought Lunar for PSP again and couldn't play for an hour. =X

It has archaic story and battle system bores me to death man. I can't recommend it to anyone who wants to try JRPG for their first time.

Seriously we need modern day Lunar 2 remake with high res 2D graphic, although since gamearts is nothing for the shell of its former self, I don't think it will happen.

Lunar 1 feels slow (battle wise) but not slow enough to where I would lose interest. Plus the music, art, and VA kinda draw me in.

Also makes me wish Wild Arms 1 and 2 went with 2D sprites for the battle scenes instead of early 3D.

Man. I wish they revive Wild Arms series.

Teknoman

Yeah the PSP version isnt great at all compared to the PS1 or Sega CD version.

One day, we'll see a new Wild Arms...probably on Vita unless some PS4 miracle happens.

IrishNinja

oh yeah, totally not defending the PSP version here

also! good buddy of mine wanted me to show some shots of his impressive collection here:

IMG]http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/newtype79/PICT1194_zps8b36e2e0.jpg[/IMG]

PICT1200_zps8b957605.jpg

PICT1204_zps41449bfe.jpg

PICT1206_zps4c2c7733.jpg

PICT1210_zps7b65390e.jpg

...man i hate that guy sometimes

Satchel

Banned
I have both PSX and PSOne.

Still have a few of the must haves like MGS, Time Crisis w/guncon, Street Fighter II Collection, Gran Turismo etc.

Not bad, but my nostalgia still sits more with the Saturn and the 64. Grew up a hardcore Sega fanboy and then Mario Kart 64 opened my eyes to multi platform ownership.

Bought the PSX after that. MGS was great.

Fox Mulder

There is zero significance between the two expect for bragging rights.

Well there's also the shittier black and white labels on the greatest hits discs. The regular versions have the intended colors and designs.

I don't really mind, but some might.

NIGHT-

Just recently bought a brand new ps2 and starting to build my PsOne collection again

So far I have

Jersey Devil
Metal gear solid
Resident evil 1-3
Dino crisis 1-2
Tenchu
Ape escape
Mortal kombat trilogy

Long way to go!

I used to own over 100 ps1 titles back in the day, but my drug head brother pawned them all... :(

Danny Dudekisser

oh yeah, totally not defending the PSP version here

also! good buddy of mine wanted me to show some shots of his impressive collection here:

...man i hate that guy sometimes

Hell of a collection.

My PS1 collection's pretty bad.

I was 10 when I got my PS1 in 1998, and I was stupid and bought bad games :(

Pretty much every game that could be a GH version is indeed the GH version... because I didn't have the $$ :(

I still haven't got a decent collection, because I'm as stupid as I was in 1998 :(

Well anyway, here's the PS1 games I still have at my law school apartment. This is probably about half of all the PS1 games I have - the rest are at home cuz I'm moving out:

gBfpBwv.jpg

I'm gonna fix this, dammit.

Pretty much every game that could be a GH version is indeed the GH version... because I didn't have the $$ :(

When I was a kid I was slick. Granted, I was just as broke, but when I saw the GH version was coming out in the Sunday sales papers, I went to retailers and snatched the remaining black label versions at the GH price. I remember having success with K-Mart specifically, as it seemed like they never sold any of their stock, so black label stuff was still plentiful by the time the GH version rolled around.

Danny Dudekisser

When I was a kid I was slick. Granted, I was just as broke, but when I saw the GH version was coming out in the Sunday sales papers, I went to retailers and snatched the remaining black label versions at the GH price. I remember having success with K-Mart specifically, as it seemed like they never sold any of their stock, so black label stuff was still plentiful by the time the GH version rolled around.

I have the GH version of Metal Gear Solid because I bought the game on the day it came out, but my mom wouldn't let me keep it cuz it was M-rated. So I had to wait and then the GH version was all that was left :(

This is making me really sad. I think I'm going to go cut myself. Again.

Yuterald

I've been playing a lot of B/borderline C-tier platformers recently. I just popped in Pinobee yesterday, an Artoon developed GBA game ported to the PSone, and apparently played through half the game in one sitting. Yeah, totally weird, right? I remembered playing this game years ago and I didn't care for it...and I still don't know what to think about it, lol! I actually didn't understand shit about the game (it's quite confusing and vague at first, to be honest) but I read the manual and kept playing and the game started to make more sense to me. It's NOTHING special, but it's certainly interesting, to say the least.

I'm still in the middle of Jersey Devil and enjoying it for what it's worth (it's definitely more fun than Pinobee, lol!). I also popped in Croc 2 yesterday which is also another PSone platformer I've never finished before. I got 100% in the original Croc and thought it was pretty cool so I'm sure I'll dig the second game. I'm kinda looking to play as many 2D/3D platformers on the PSone as possible. I've already played through and mastered all the greats (Crash 1, 2, 3, Spyro 1, 2, 3, Klonoa, Ape Escape, Medievil 1 & 2, Pac-Man World, Rayman, Tomba 1 & 2, etc.), but what are some other obscure, oddball platformers on the system? Also, I'm not really interested in licensed stuff.

Here's a tentative list of what I need to pick up still. Some of these I've owned before, but I need to get repurchase. I feel like I've covered most of the platformer library.

Definites...
-Gex
-Gex: Enter the Gecko
-Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
-Pandemonium
-Pandemonium 2

Considering...
-Kingsley's Adventure
-Rascal
-Blasto

Never...
Bubsy 3D

XNarte

Got two more PS one games (and some PS2) at the flea market on Sunday:

e44cdea4b02511e2914022000a9e0653_7.jpg

Popping TR: The last Revelation in, I was impressed with the texture quality, architecture geometry, and lighting for a PS one game. It reminded me of Vagrant Story a bit in it's look. Funny because I had only previously played the Dreamcast version of this game and for the DC it wasn't very impressive, but on PS one, it really shows how far the series came graphically since TR1.

And here's my entire PS one collection.

Danny Dudekisser

I've been playing a lot of B/borderline C-tier platformers recently. I just popped in Pinobee yesterday, an Artoon developed GBA game ported to the PSone, and apparently played through half the game in one sitting. Yeah, totally weird, right? I remembered playing this game years ago and I didn't care for it...and I still don't know what to think about it, lol! I actually didn't understand shit about the game (it's quite confusing and vague at first, to be honest) but I read the manual and kept playing and the game started to make more sense to me. It's NOTHING special, but it's certainly interesting, to say the least.

I'm still in the middle of Jersey Devil and enjoying it for what it's worth (it's definitely more fun than Pinobee, lol!). I also popped in Croc 2 yesterday which is also another PSone platformer I've never finished before. I got 100% in the original Croc and thought it was pretty cool so I'm sure I'll dig the second game. I'm kinda looking to play as many 2D/3D platformers on the PSone as possible. I've already played through and mastered all the greats (Crash 1, 2, 3, Spyro 1, 2, 3, Klonoa, Ape Escape, Medievil 1 & 2, Pac-Man World, Rayman, Tomba 1 & 2, etc.), but what are some other obscure, oddball platformers on the system? Also, I'm not really interested in licensed stuff.

Here's a tentative list of what I need to pick up still. Some of these I've owned before, but I need to get repurchase. I feel like I've covered most of the platformer library.

Definites...
-Gex
-Gex: Enter the Gecko
-Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
-Pandemonium
-Pandemonium 2

Considering...
-Kingsley's Adventure
-Rascal
-Blasto

Never...
Bubsy 3D

Adventures of Little Ralph. It's an import, and it's expensive. But uh... people swear by it.

And Umihara Kawase Shun. You could just buy the DS version, as it's cheaper and includes all the levels from the SNES game, as well... but yeah. Umihara Kawase kicks all kinds of ass.

Akira_83

Banned
So im currently in the process of rebuilding my PS1 collection

Sadly, i spent YEARS building my previous one and spent WAY more money than i should have to find the best condition copies possible, only purchasing original variants, all black labels, longbox editions where possible

really had quite the collection going... atleast i thought it was impressive

nevertheless, had some personal financial issues and stupidly sold off the entire lot for almost nothing on craigslist... and i ended up getting the money shortly after i would have needed... someone really made off like a bandit on that one

sure theres a lot of garbage but i was literally going for the goal of owning almost all NA release that arent kiddy shovelware or sports games

i have made a vow that i will never sell a game again, EVER. Especially not my PS1 collection. Sitting at 50+ strong now, just added PE1 and clock tower to my library.

reason i bring this up? just randomly found the old pics i had taken for the craigslist posting... and it really brings back the pain i feel from being so stupid and getting rid of them. Werent organized well but i was planning on building a game room just to display them someday:

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Top Bottom