• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Akira_83

Banned
Ouch that sucks. Good collection there.

yep... literally cant even look at those pics without wanting to die inside... so many hours scouring ebay and retro gaming shops... being so picky...every single one of those games (minus longbox obviously) had been put into a brand new jewel case and had everything cleaned

i was even typing up a binder to catalogue all my games for organization

i think this time im starting with games i know and love or REALLY want to play that i never got too.. then ill branch out... a lot of those games in that lot i just bought because it was there

the best find i ever added to that library was intelligent qube... game goes for over 70 bucks on ebay and this dude sold it to me in a bundle with crap sports games for like 10 bucks

When I was a kid I was slick. Granted, I was just as broke, but when I saw the GH version was coming out in the Sunday sales papers, I went to retailers and snatched the remaining black label versions at the GH price. I remember having success with K-Mart specifically, as it seemed like they never sold any of their stock, so black label stuff was still plentiful by the time the GH version rolled around.
Haha! I remember doing the same in the summer of 2004 (or 2005?) when I became aware that F-Zero GX on GameCube had become a Player's Choice title. ;)

Is it important for you guys that the manual still have the registration card attached? It is for me. I don't know why and how it became important, but I hate to have to e-mail eBay sellers all the time about it. Damn OCD, lol.

damn hellnight sounds badass

another title along those lines is the ridiculously ambitious mizzurna falls by human entertainment, i imagine swery used the basis of this game as a template for deadly premonition since it has a similar feel to its gameplay based on the videos

tumblr_lfifibwiHL1qzqgkn.jpg

EkGjuE2.jpg

IHI7w8o.jpg

HR2vkdY.jpg

this tumblr blog has a pretty nice expose on it

So I watched the playthrough on twitch and he didn't finish the game! Is there a FAQ or spoilers or something where I can just read about how the game ends?

Haha! I remember doing the same in the summer of 2004 (or 2005?) when I became aware that F-Zero GX on GameCube had become a Player's Choice title. ;)

Is it important for you guys that the manual still have the registration card attached? It is for me. I don't know why and how it became important, but I hate to have to e-mail eBay sellers all the time about it. Damn OCD, lol.

Reg cards aren't that important to me. That being said, I bought most of my PS1 games new so I probably have most of my reg cards lol.

Yes Boss!

Adventures of Little Ralph. It's an import, and it's expensive. But uh... people swear by it.

And Umihara Kawase Shun. You could just buy the DS version, as it's cheaper and includes all the levels from the SNES game, as well... but yeah. Umihara Kawase kicks all kinds of ass.

Also, Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition is up on J-PSN for 600 yen. Seems like most folks here are hard-copy collectors. But it is up there for cheap.

Fox Mulder

When I was a kid I was slick. Granted, I was just as broke, but when I saw the GH version was coming out in the Sunday sales papers, I went to retailers and snatched the remaining black label versions at the GH price. I remember having success with K-Mart specifically, as it seemed like they never sold any of their stock, so black label stuff was still plentiful by the time the GH version rolled around.

I didn't even have a concept of collecting games as a kid. I'd trade games to friends or game stores, rent a bunch, and buy cheap. I was mostly into racing and sports games too, which are worthless now. Every gen I sold my entire library and console towards the new stuff.

I didn't even have a concept of collecting games as a kid. I'd trade games to friends or game stores, rent a bunch, and buy cheap. I was mostly into racing and sports games too, which are worthless now. Every gen I sold my entire library and console towards the new stuff.
I knew tons of other kids who had no problem selling their games, but I never could.
I guess I was always really sentimental with my stuff. I must have got that from my dad, who held on to lots of his audio components and hardware.

I knew tons of other kids who had no problem selling their games, but I never could.
I guess I was always really sentimental with my stuff. I must have got that from my dad, who held on to lots of his audio components and hardware.

The only time I have ever sold anything or gave it away is when my parents made me give away my Genesis when I got a PS1 because "I had too many systems".

HWell anyway, here's the PS1 games I still have at my law school apartment. This is probably about half of all the PS1 games I have - the rest are at home cuz I'm moving out:

gBfpBwv.jpg

Dude, Symphony of the Night makes me super jealous. It goes for a mint on eBay, and as such has been put into my 'I am not even going to bother looking because I can't justify spending that much' pile.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just looked and completed sales went for $25.

Yeah, and even Chronicles isn't that pricey. I doubt either game will ever reach Rondo of Blood territory.

Edit: speaking of game prices, I checked the price of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment out of curiosity. It's... pretty pricey these days. Glad I didn't pawn my copy in anticipation of the PSP version that's never coming stateside.

Wow really? Maybe it's a lot less rare in NTSC form, I only keep seeing a PAL/EU copy going for about $179! I am only looking at eBay Australia though.

[EDIT]
Wow, so I look at the US eBay and copies go for about $30, must have been a stupidly limited release in PAL territories!

Teknoman

Yeah, and even Chronicles isn't that pricey. I doubt either game will ever reach Rondo of Blood territory.

Edit: speaking of game prices, I checked the price of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment out of curiosity. It's... pretty pricey these days. Glad I didn't pawn my copy in anticipation of the PSP version that's never coming stateside.

I did :(

Argyle

I really want to own one of the blue debug units. (a net yaroze too for that matter)
I see them every now and then on ebay. I think I'll go for the next one.

You probably want the green debug (as pictured a few posts later) as it had the revised Rev. C GPU...

Why is Future Cop LAPD hard to find? Can't even find it on eBay!!!

I actually just scored a copy myself :D
There's a bunch of PAL copies around on eBay, I paid about $25 but they seem to typically go for about $40. Not sure on NTSC copies though.

Also, that makes sense about the input lag on PS3, was completely unaware of that. Might even be worthwhile to bring my PS2 up here rather than just playing on the PS3.

ZeroCDR

I've read there's input lag for PS1 on PS3 but I haven't noticed, probably a frame or two at most? I'm fairly perceptible to lag since I play a lot of fighting games. I play PS1 exclusively on my PS3 these days, I actually love how it looks on my HDTV heh

PSX remains my favorite system. I think I've posted in this thread before, not sure. But it is the most "fun" system to me. It's something beyond any words can describe, and it isn't nostalgia. To this day, even in this thread, I'm still finding psx games I've never played nor heard of. It had a wide range of just imaginative titles that were explored to see the mere possibilities of 3d. A lot of people say the system hasn't aged well, but I spit on them.

PTOOEY.

Finally, a thread where I can feel welcome. :D

There was really something about the PlayStation, the games were just so much more experimental than on the N64. I guess because the barrier to development was a lot lower. But yeah, completely get what you mean. I don't think that the amount of experimentation has happened again since. I mean, yes, we have indie darlings, but it's not Net Yaroze or anything like that, still quite an effort to make anything viable on later consoles.

IrishNinja

^i agree with what you guys are saying...PSX was my exposure to the 32 bit era, and yeah, ill echo the sentiments about early 3D and its aging, but shit was magical at the time, and there was this AAA thing past FF VII where CG's were just getting so impressive, id have people over just to see them (RE2 for example!).

meanwhile, quirky japanese games were being brought to my attention left & right, and companies like square, konami etc were putting out some of their very best. coupled with @ $40 price tag (i wanna say?) and the system's library didn't just transition me from 2D only, it made me feel like i didn't know what was coming next, but it'd probably be enjoyable. post dreamcast, i havent seen that as much...PS2 had an amazing library, with many sequels greatly improving on their originators here, but stuff like murderer's row really started to show the gap from the prior era.

i'd love to see the spirit of that experimentation return (beyond just indies) but we'd need something big to happen for the AA and below markets to stabilize & return, i think.

I don't think we'll ever see another game like "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino!" again!
Except I guess Katamari? But that's been rehashed so many times it almost doesn't count.

I remember my parents trying to talk me out of getting an N64 for Christmas in '96. They told me the PlayStation had many more games to choose from, but all I wanted was Goldeneye/Mario at the time. About 2 years later I finally got a PS and was blown away at the amount of interesting games they had. Love PS software.

NIGHT-

Looking for a ps1 game I used to own. I only remember bits and pieces. It's an arena style action game where if I remember right, you go ahead to head or tag team style against other monsters. I really don't remember much else but I'd love to find it again!

I remember my parents trying to talk me out of getting an N64 for Christmas in '96. They told me the PlayStation had many more games to choose from, but all I wanted was Goldeneye/Mario at the time. About 2 years later I finally got a PS and was blown away at the amount of interesting games they had. Love PS software.

Ha! I had that exact thing happen to me. All I wanted for Christmas was an N64, but the PSX was $199, and the sales guy at HI TECH WORLD convinced my parents that it was the better console.
Honestly now, I'm glad they made that decision. The N64 had some greats, but I got to mostly experience them via friends. Had I not got a PSX, I'd have missed out entirely on Crash, Ape Escape, Future Cop, The Unholy War, Croc, and heaps more.

Heh, your parents were really informed consumers when it comes to games. That's rare.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This is going off-topic, but I've never been able to sell most of the "rare" games I have apart from stuff I had on the Neo-Geo. Shantae on GBC is another one that I listed multiple times without a bid. Was thinking of selling my Saturn collection off (it's time...Guardian Heroes is on XBLA, which was the last game I would have wanted to go back and play) but I think it would just be a big headache.

Feel free to PM me with an offer. Both are complete and Arc comes with the bonus pre-order pocket watch.

I'll vouch for Lyte Edge - bought Eternal Blue Complete from him a few years back and got it at a wonderful price in spotless condition. And I'll also vouch for Arc, the second game is one of my favorites on the whole system...

XNarte

Looking for a ps1 game I used to own. I only remember bits and pieces. It's an arena style action game where if I remember right, you go ahead to head or tag team style against other monsters. I really don't remember much else but I'd love to find it again!

Was it Unholy War?

936full-the-unholy-war-cover.jpg

Had a demo disc for that game, and it sounds like what you are describing.

baphomet

Wow really? Maybe it's a lot less rare in NTSC form, I only keep seeing a PAL/EU copy going for about $179! I am only looking at eBay Australia though.

[EDIT]
Wow, so I look at the US eBay and copies go for about $30, must have been a stupidly limited release in PAL territories!

Yea, I remember them selling brand new copies of SotN until at least 2006 in the US at most big retailers. Same goes for FFVII and VIII. Pretty much all the greatest hits games.

Tekniqs

due to this thread, I may purchase xenogears off of psn and play through it. I'ver never beaten the game, got really far once (2nd disc) and stopped =(

gryz

Banned
what's the easiest way to region mod a ps1 these days? i have the psone model without any expansion port, but I see tons of other early ones for cheap at goodwill all the time. sucks that japanese ps2s are crazy expensive now

NekoFever

what's the easiest way to region mod a ps1 these days? i have the psone model without any expansion port, but I see tons of other early ones for cheap at goodwill all the time. sucks that japanese ps2s are crazy expensive now
I used to have a swap disc called PS-X-Change that worked really well. I'd bet those would be expensive now, though, because they work in a retail console without any modding.

Modchips are still available to buy if you're technical enough to install one of those, but that's probably pushing the definition of "easiest". Certainly the easiest in terms of convenience once it's done, though. Ditto for modding a PS2.

gryz

Banned
I used to have a swap disc called PS-X-Change that worked really well. I'd bet those would be expensive now, though, because they work in a retail console without any modding.

Modchips are still available to buy if you're technical enough to install one of those, but that's probably pushing the definition of "easiest". Certainly the easiest in terms of convenience once it's done, though. Ditto for modding a PS2.

hmm that disc thing seems kinda cool, and isn't too expensive, I may check that out. I've also been looking into making my own mod chips but I'm not sure if its worth the initial hardware investment that I would have to make to get a PIC programmer.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
hmm that disc thing seems kinda cool, and isn't too expensive, I may check that out. I've also been looking into making my own mod chips but I'm not sure if its worth the initial hardware investment that I would have to make to get a PIC programmer.

It's not. You can still just go buy a mod-chip today and drop that sonbitch in there without any hassle.

I need to buy some more games.

I'm a fuckin' fiend, yo.

TEJ

I wish the PS1 classics selection on the PS3 was better. It's getting too expensive to find unopened PS1 games, and I trust used PS1 titles as much as I trust ants not to go into a nearby jar of honey.

Fox Mulder

Ha! I had that exact thing happen to me. All I wanted for Christmas was an N64, but the PSX was $199, and the sales guy at HI TECH WORLD convinced my parents that it was the better console.
Honestly now, I'm glad they made that decision. The N64 had some greats, but I got to mostly experience them via friends. Had I not got a PSX, I'd have missed out entirely on Crash, Ape Escape, Future Cop, The Unholy War, Croc, and heaps more.

I don't mind that I went the n64 route initially. Mario, Zelda, Conker, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Mario Kart were all fantastic games I still love. I'm not even a Japanese RPG guy, and knew back then that the ps1 smashed the n64 when you look past the key Nintendo, Rare, and few great third party titles though.

I did get a ps1 late in its life and loved the deep variety of the library. I sold off everything, but just found a pelican steering wheel in my closet. Gonna have to see how that compares to the quirky Namco racing controllers.

I don't mind that I went the n64 route initially. Mario, Zelda, Conker, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, Mario Kart were all fantastic games I still love. I'm not even a Japanese RPG guy, and knew back then that the ps1 smashed the n64 when you look past the key Nintendo, Rare, and few great third party titles though.

I did get a ps1 late in its life and loved the deep variety of the library. I sold off everything, but just found a pelican steering wheel in my closet. Gonna have to see how that compares to the quirky Namco racing controllers.

My friend that loved N64 still says N64 was better. He never owned a PS1.

Top Bottom