• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

is $60 shipped too high for all 3 crash games and CTR?

uh yeah?

They're really common games. I saw Crash 2, 3 and CTR at the thrift store the other day for $3 each.

Think I'll pop in my copy of Bushido Blade after work. Just have the urge to play that for some reason.
How did that go? I remember playing BB a couple years ago with friends and we all kinda wished the hit detection was better.

NIGHT-

uh yeah?

They're really common games. I saw Crash 2, 3 and CTR at the thrift store the other day for $3 each.

How did that go? I remember playing BB a couple years ago with friends and we all kinda wished the hit detection was better.

Hah thanks! This thread has made me buy crazy and almost pulled the trigger on that since they're all black labels. I'll just be patient and pick them up when I find them

Adventures of Little Ralph. It's an import, and it's expensive. But uh... people swear by it.

Boy do they ever. I dislike the soundtrack for being unmemorable and repetitive, but it certainly seems tightly paced and a joy to play.

And Umihara Kawase Shun. You could just buy the DS version, as it's cheaper and includes all the levels from the SNES game, as well... but yeah. Umihara Kawase kicks all kinds of ass.
It does. Nothing's quite like a good 'ol romp down imported-bitmap-for-a-background lane with a fishing rod for a grappling hook.

I've always felt that, though the Saturn has the best gen-6 games overall, PlayStation had the most interesting (and still does). There are so many exclusives for the system that pop up all the time, most of which are either bizarrely awesome or straightforward cool. Boku no Natsuyasumi and Mizzurna Falls are two games I know of that rarely get press, and there are a few others I can think of (Neo-Atlas, for starters).

a little off topic, but there is a really cool sort of spiritual successor to this type of game in Wrath Unleashed for the Xbox/PS2.

Oh shit, really? I loved Unholy War for being the spiritual successor to Archon! I'll have to check this out if I can dig a copy up somewhere.

IrishNinja

Does anyone remember Tale of the Sun?

still trying to forget this one...thanks, Diehard Gamefan

I don't think we'll ever see another game like "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino!" again!
Except I guess Katamari? But that's been rehashed so many times it almost doesn't count.

i adore Katamari but it's been around the block a few times, yeah
Mr Domino, Incredible Crisis & Devil Dice are some of the ones i got into way later but really dug, still wish i could find IQ on the cheap

Buy stuff from Artdink and we might just get a crazy new game like Mr. Domino!
Who am I kidding, Carnage Heart and A-Train's their bread-crumbs these days

Mzo

Where would I even buy a PS logo jewel case, uh, thing. This is hard to describe.

You know how some games only had one CD but a really fat instruction manual, so they put them in a double CD case (like Beyond the Beyond, Revelations: Persona, Elemental Gearbolt, etc.)? But when you open them and look inside, the disc isn't in the first section. It's just the booklet in the nook on the right and the left looks like an empty CD jewel case, but instead of the circular teeth formation to hold a CD it's a small, raised plateau with the PS logo on it?

I need like two of those. What are they even called?

Was it Unholy War?

936full-the-unholy-war-cover.jpg

Had a demo disc for that game, and it sounds like what you are describing.

I should have guessed! The Unholy War was one of my favourite games on PlayStation. I don't remember tag-team being part of it though.

I'm actually trying to find a reasonably priced copy of this myself, biding my time until a good deal comes up on eBay.

Where would I even buy a PS logo jewel case, uh, thing. This is hard to describe.

You know how some games only had one CD but a really fat instruction manual, so they put them in a double CD case (like Beyond the Beyond, Revelations: Persona, Elemental Gearbolt, etc.)? But when you open them and look inside, the disc isn't in the first section. It's just the booklet in the nook on the right and the left looks like an empty CD jewel case, but instead of the circular teeth formation to hold a CD it's a small, raised plateau with the PS logo on it?

I went to pawn shops and looked for some of the old sports games. There were a few that were in those double cases.

Dave Long

Banned
Wow... I should've known there was a thread. How did I miss this thread of ugly-ass polygons? I adore them so.

I recently got Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition, Carnage Heart and Disruptor. Really love FF:WA. It's a lost SNK gem IMO. Carnage Heart requires a degree in programming, but it's cool, and rare! Disruptor is fun to check out for that early Insomniac ingenuity.

Oh... and Unholy War is super!

Fox Mulder

I need a few as well, thanks to cheap ass eBay sellers shipping jewel case games in bubble envelopes.

led4lyfe

I recently bought my friends PS2 collection and he threw in this beauty because he said it needed a good home:

4DDC3B96-5663-4335-AD4F-403C9B04C596-4203-000002F64C7DE4F2_zpse9404ba6.jpg

Does anyone know how to safely remove the Video Update CD Shield? I tried to google it, but all I can find is some WoW move. I already have my own copy of the game so I was looking to sell it, but before I did I wanted to remove this ugly thing.

reson8or

I recently bought my friends PS2 collection and he threw in this beauty because he said it needed a good home:

4DDC3B96-5663-4335-AD4F-403C9B04C596-4203-000002F64C7DE4F2_zpse9404ba6.jpg

Does anyone know how to safely remove the Video Update CD Shield? I tried to google it, but all I can find is some WoW move. I already have my own copy of the game so I was looking to sell it, but before I did I wanted to remove this ugly thing.

Normally I'd suggest Goo Gone but I'm not sure it would not affect the paint since its citric acid.

I've used goo gone on CD labels before and never had an issue with the ink coming off. If the adhesive was on paper - like on box art, that would ruin the ink, but on a CD it should be fine.

I was 14 when the PS1 came out, so yeah I have ridiculous amounts of nostalgia for PS1. here are a couple of my favorites:

256px-Brave_Fencer_Musashi.jpg

Alundra_PAL_boxart.jpg

Wildarmscase.jpg

256px-T3usposter.jpg

DescentMaximumPS1-h450.png

and my personal game of the platform:

blood_omen_legacy_of_kain_frontcover_large_HHvRHzhKbOzoiWd.jpg

GQman2121

Banned
Did anyone ever receive these cases for being a member of the Playstation Underground?

11OmSFcl.jpg

yg0zYqWl.jpg

The larger one came with a pen and about twenty PS hole punched sheets of paper.

IrishNinja

holy crap, with the exception of Policenauts (thankfully ran through that after the fan translation) i want to play all of those games

I signed up for Playstation Underground, and they never sent me anything.

So, no. But those are pretty cool.

^ditto, and ditto

holy crap, with the exception of Policenauts (thankfully ran through that after the fan translation) i want to play all of those games

^ditto, and ditto

I remember signing up to whatever the Australian equivalent of that was, and being sent demo discs and a game wallet. Not as cool as the wallet you posted (no proper memory card holders and stuff) but pretty cool nonetheless.

Went pawn shopping today, was pretty slim pickings, but I did find these which I'm kinda happy with.

ibp9JNZtmn3WF6.jpg

Charumera looks especially new; I've seen most of this in some form or another. I really want tot get into Boku no Natsuyasumi because of the recent Kickstarter, yet several of the games he's listed have always seemed awesome.

i was nostalgia-ing over psx square pre-rendered backgrounds earlier today. got frustrated there were next to no ff7 images online, so i pulled a bunch off the discs

lVUgToe.gif

the rest are here:
http://imgur.com/a/shRaP
I just remembered how awesome the pre-rendered background for FF7 were. They strike a great balance between diesel-punk and the classic style of unique fantasy settings the games are known for—like Nomura's character-design approach applied to the overall art. And the images still hold up in their own special ways.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Whoa, awesome post, Lin dude who just posted a buncha import stuff.

PS1 has so many import games nobody's even heard of. It's unreasonable.

the saturn naturally gets more hype for its import selection but the breadth of the ps1's library is rather unnoticed

what's the status on ps1 fan translations? policenauts was fantastic of course, is soul hackers still getting worked on or did they just give up with the 3ds port.

Yuterald

Aw man, so many cool imports I'll never have the chance to play. I want to play The Fireman 2 game sooo badly. There aren't enough Firefighter games out there and the ONE I've played (Firefighter F.D. 18 on PS2) was incredible. =(

Danny Dudekisser

the saturn naturally gets more hype for its import selection but the breadth of the ps1's library is rather unnoticed

what's the status on ps1 fan translations? policenauts was fantastic of course, is soul hackers still getting worked on or did they just give up with the 3ds port.

I know there was one for Tales of Phantasia, and that translations for that Moon RPG and Suikogaiden were being worked on. No idea on Soul Hackers, but I can't imagine wanting to play the PS1 version now that the 3DS release is out.

But yeah, it's weird that people didn't really take notice of the PS1's import library. PS1 importing is what got me into importing games in the first place, and I just remember NCSX's online catalog being this odyssey of cool shit that I'd never heard of. Good times.

This is making me want to get back to my import gaming thing I was writing like 2 years ago... especially since I'm gonna have a lot of time on my hands starting tomorrow. hmmm... dat inspiration.

Fox Mulder

found a bunch of black label ps1 games at goodwill for $2 each, including busido blade and final fantasy 8. I've never played a single game in the franchise, and haven't really tried any jrpg in my life, so what's a good entry point?

Danny Dudekisser

found a bunch of black label ps1 games at goodwill for $2 each, including busido blade and final fantasy 8. I've never played a single game in the franchise, and haven't really tried any jrpg in my life, so what's a good entry point?

Wooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww you've never played a JRPG?

Well shit, you have 8... uh... but 8's mechanics are kinda confusing if you've never played a JRPG...

FF7 is probably the best starting place if you're going to play a PS1 RPG. It's not the absolute best RPG on the system, of course, but it's easy to get into... visuals aside.

Teknoman

I think VIII is a little too different to be a good starting point, so probably something earlier like Final Fantasy IV or VI.

Also Samurai Showdown RPG has an english patch on Neo Geo CD?

EDIT: Now I really want GeGeGe no Kitarou Gyakushuu! Youma Daikessen. Kinda want PuLiRuLa, but dunno if I should expect the troubles :p

Vashetti

Banned
Does anyone know where I can get replacement PS1 cases?

I need both the 'normal' kind, like this:

And the chunkier ones like these:

I bought FF6 to 8 last year on eBay, all of the cases were cracked but all the discs work fine and they came with their inserts.

Would be nice to make them look pristine again.

Borman

Did anyone ever receive these cases for being a member of the Playstation Underground?

11OmSFcl.jpg

yg0zYqWl.jpg

The larger one came with a pen and about twenty PS hole punched sheets of paper.

I have the blue one in storage, with all of the paper untouched.

Also thanks to the person who posted the Japanese games above, gives me a few other titles to get. Still waiting on Tobal 2 though, chose the slow shipping.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement PS1 cases?

I need both the 'normal' kind, like this:

And the chunkier ones like these:

I bought FF6 to 8 last year on eBay, all of the cases were cracked but all the discs work fine and they came with their inserts.

Would be nice to make them look pristine again.

I'm very interested to find out as well. I also wonder whether I can somehow buy those 'genuine PlayStation product' sticker, though I doubt it, since that would kinda ruin the entire point of them :p

I've seen people suggest going to thrift stores and just guying out the multitude of cheap 1998 sports games and just using the cases.

Credo

Which version of Policenauts is considered to be better, the PS1 or Saturn version? Or is one not clearly better than the other? I'm interested in getting it someday soon, so I thought I should ask.

NekoFever

Which version of Policenauts is considered to be better, the PS1 or Saturn version? Or is one not clearly better than the other? I'm interested in getting it someday soon, so I thought I should ask.
Saturn. It has a few extra scenes, lightgun support, and a handful of other differences. PS1's not bad, though.

Danny Dudekisser

Saturn. It has a few extra scenes, lightgun support, and a handful of other differences. PS1's not bad, though.

Yeah, Saturn version's the better one... same deal with Snatcher (which has some censorship in the PS1 version), I believe.

Though if you wanna play it in English...

Credo

Yeah, Saturn version's the better one... same deal with Snatcher (which has some censorship in the PS1 version), I believe.

Though if you wanna play it in English...

Playing it in English is a necessity. Is the translation only available for the PS1 version?

And thank you both for the responses.

Danny Dudekisser

Playing it in English is a necessity. Is the translation only available for the PS1 version?

And thank you both for the responses.

There's apparently a Saturn translation in progress, but it's not completed and apparently running into quite a few stumbling blocks. So as of right now, and perhaps always, the PS1 version is the only way you're gonna play it in English.

Top Bottom