• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

cj_iwakura

Someone was nice enough to ask for my input, so I'll add a couple other J-exclusives, one I bet most of you never heard of:

The Silver Case
(Graphic Adventure, available on the J-PSN)

Trailer

tsc.jpg

tsc3.png

tsc4.png

tsc6.png

Addie's Present
(Puzzle/Adventure)

Gameplay

eoe1A.jpg

lQrtl.jpg

eKJh6.jpg

(Fan translation is a thing being dabbled in.)

cj_iwakura

I've wanted to play Silver Case for a whilte. I was hoping it'd be ported to the ds after FSR was, but that didn't come to fruition did it?

Nope. Only Suda 51 has it. Whether or not he'll ever run with it, who knows.

Supposedly it was getting moved to the 3DS.

After trying it out, I can definitely say it's not like any game I've ever played.

And the chunkier ones like these:

I bought FF6 to 8 last year on eBay, all of the cases were cracked but all the discs work fine and they came with their inserts.

Would be nice to make them look pristine again.

These are quite difficult to get hold of these days, I recently bought Tomb Raider 1 and Destruction Derby 2 and did the following:

Buy 2 ordinary CD covers, the ordinary classic type. The back part of an ordinary cd case is the front and back of a dual one. Simply take the back from the two ordinary cd cases and replace them with the front and back of the dual one. The main black part of the dual case usually looks fine, it's the see-through front and back that get scratched. Mine looked like new afterwards :)

The insides of the dual case are just the same insides of an ordinary cd case too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Are there any fan-dubbed JP horror games or good JRPGs on PSone

dock

One of my favourite things about the PS3 is that it makes playing 4 player PS1 games much less of a hassle. I played Micro Maniacs for a while last night with some friends, it was awesome. We also recently played a bunch of Crash Team Racing with 3 players.

Can anyone recommend any other four player PS1 games? (Not bomberman, because we already have the Saturn version, and BM94)

One of my favourite things about the PS3 is that it makes playing 4 player PS1 games much less of a hassle. I played Micro Maniacs for a while last night with some friends, it was awesome. We also recently played a bunch of Crash Team Racing with 3 players.

Can anyone recommend any other four player PS1 games? (Not bomberman, because we already have the Saturn version, and BM94)

Micro Machines V3! Sooooooo good!

Micro_Machines_V3_cover.jpg

and a similar, less known, game:

600081boxart_160w.jpg

This might help, not really a recommendation, but it should give you an idea of what's out there.
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/playstation/tic,37/list-games/

I think Circuit Breakers came second from memory, though I might be wrong.

Man, demo discs at the time were such effective marketing, without them I'd not know about how much fun Circuit Breakers was, and want to buy it right now!

Mzo

These are quite difficult to get hold of these days, I recently bought Tomb Raider 1 and Destruction Derby 2 and did the following:

Buy 2 ordinary CD covers, the ordinary classic type. The back part of an ordinary cd case is the front and back of a dual one. Simply take the back from the two ordinary cd cases and replace them with the front and back of the dual one. The main black part of the dual case usually looks fine, it's the see-through front and back that get scratched. Mine looked like new afterwards :)

The insides of the dual case are just the same insides of an ordinary cd case too.

The snap into place, but I've found that they often don't close right after... like the back of standard jewel cases are too fat for the double CD case.

Just purchased FF IX to start off my collection!

I know I have a few games back home, as well as an original PS1 console with some memory cards and controllers, but I didn't bring any of that with me to college. The only game I have with me here is FF VII.

Hopefully the collection will grow a bit more tomorrow when I go to this used game store. I've been there before but haven't bought anything. I know they have a copy of Lunar 2 which I might just have to grab.

NIGHT-

I got a Ps2 slim off amazon not too long ago before they stopped stocking them. Any emulation issues with PS1 games through PS2? And holy hell, the newest PS2 slim is ugly.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I got a Ps2 slim off amazon not too long ago before they stopped stocking them. Any emulation issues with PS1 games through PS2? And holy hell, the newest PS2 slim is ugly.
It's one of the better examples of backwards compatibility ever. Almost every game is perfect. There is a small handful of <10 games that have odd issues... (I think Tomba? And FFV's menu occasionally glitches in rare cases?)

I think you can just ignore it and play most any PS1 game you like.

The snap into place, but I've found that they often don't close right after... like the back of standard jewel cases are too fat for the double CD case.

They shouldn't be. Might just be a slightly different jewel case that don't match exactly. Mine work perfectly and look new!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally picked up own copy of Eretvazu so I have all the ps1 games I really need now.

I wanted that game for the longest time... I didn't even realize it'd been released in the US as Dead Zone. Though the us release had some major censorship IIRC

kunonabi

I wanted that game for the longest time... I didn't even realize it'd been released in the US as Dead Zone. Though the us release had some major censorship IIRC

yeah the US version is ass. There was a cheap copy on ebay for the longest time but somebody grabbed it so I ended up getting it from gamebaz. It's used so I'm not sure what kind of condition it's in.

Is Raiden Project any good? Even after the compilations on iOS and Xbox 360 it's still the only way I can play Raiden II without getting the PCB, right?

The Resident Evil Director's Cut I ordered seems to be lost in the mail. USPS tracking just shows it being received in Cincinnati on April 25th. Nothing's happened in over a week. So now I have to deal with this nonsense. Blargh.

Danny Dudekisser

Is Raiden Project any good? Even after the compilations on iOS and Xbox 360 it's still the only way I can play Raiden II without getting the PCB, right?

It's supposedly arcade perfect, plus you get some (surprisingly solid) optional remixed soundtracks. Just make sure you buy the glorious Nippon version, because the US version doesn't have TATE mode unless you use a Gameshark code.

It's supposedly arcade perfect, plus you get some (surprisingly solid) optional remixed soundtracks. Just make sure you buy the glorious Nippon version, because the US version doesn't have TATE mode unless you use a Gameshark code.

Heh, plus it's in a long box, yuck.

Fox Mulder

Do people still modchip slim psones? I got it for $5 at goodwill, so I don't mind if I have to pay a little for shipping and service, or maybe even learn how to do it myself.

Danny Dudekisser

Do people still modchip slim psones? I got it for $5 at goodwill, so I don't mind if I have to pay a little for shipping and service, or maybe even learn how to do it myself.

I think there are a couple people over on the digitpress forums who'll do it. And it'd probably be smart to pay someone to mod it, because modding a PSone is apparently kind of a pain.

Teknoman

lol same situation i'm in. Actually, thats the same way I got my PSone recently.

I wish my local goodwill stores would price like that still. About 3 years ago they would sell consoles for $5-$15 with controllers and stuff, games were priced at $2 like the CDs. Now they charge $20 for ps1s with no cables at all and all the games are $8. Greedy bastards!

Fox Mulder

I wish my local goodwill stores would price like that still. About 3 years ago they would sell consoles for $5-$15 with controllers and stuff, games were priced at $2 like the CDs. Now they charge $20 for ps1s with no cables at all and all the games are $8. Greedy bastards!

well at least they're still selling them in the store. A lot of goodwills ship anything worth money to be sold on their auction site.

I haven't found anything to really brag about, mostly cheap consoles, controllers, and a couple of games that would have cost a little more if I got them off ebay. Finding the psone was cool, as was a n64 with the expansion pak, both for $5. I just put the money saved right into buying games for those consoles. I did see a boxed gameboy micro and almost shit myself, but someone had stolen the gameboy out of it. I guess $3 was too much.

well at least they're still selling them in the store. A lot of goodwills ship anything worth money to be sold on their auction site.

I haven't found anything to really brag about, mostly cheap consoles, controllers, and a couple of games that would have cost a little more if I got them off ebay. Finding the psone was cool, as was a n64 with the expansion pak, both for $5. I just put the money saved right into buying games for those consoles. I did see a boxed gameboy micro and almost shit myself, but someone had stolen the gameboy out of it. I guess $3 was too much.

I think they are doing that as well. I used to find games at each location pretty much every time I went, but now it might be every 3-4 times and it would be some old Madden.

Borman

Won an auction for a Negcon and a scratched copy (but working apparently) of R4. What games should I be picking up for this beast?

Yuterald

How is Galerians?

I LOVED Galerians, both the original and PS2 sequel, Ash. It's basically an RE clone, only instead of guns and ammo you have physic powers like mind blasts and shit. The story is really fucked up and dark too, totally Matrix-like, sci-fi central. If you dig old school RE type games, tank controls and all, and you love dark, science fiction settings, you gotta check it out. I wouldn't put it on Resident Evil/Silent Hill tier, but it's certainly better than other RE clones like Martian Gothic and Countdown Vampires.

Teknoman

I LOVED Galerians, both the original and PS2 sequel, Ash. It's basically an RE clone, only instead of guns and ammo you have physic powers like mind blasts and shit. The story is really fucked up and dark too, totally Matrix-like, sci-fi central. If you dig old school RE type games, tank controls and all, and you love dark, science fiction settings, you gotta check it out. I wouldn't put it on Resident Evil/Silent Hill tier, but it's certainly better than other RE clones like Martian Gothic and Countdown Vampires.

Definitely going after it. Always wanted to play it, but never had the chance.

I mod psx's and psones. It's really not that hard at all. I usually find them for $6-$10 bucks at the local Salvation Army. Modchips are $4 from Thailand. New laser are $10 on ebay. Been thinking of picking up a pic programmer to make my own modchips.

Teknoman

I mod psx's and psones. It's really not that hard at all. I usually find them for $6-$10 bucks at the local Salvation Army. Modchips are $4 from Thailand. New laser are $10 on ebay. Been thinking of picking up a pic programmer to make my own modchips.

Could do GAF a service by installing mod chips in your spare time :p

I know i'd gladly pay for the service instead of having to track someone down on another forum.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Finally picked up own copy of Eretvazu so I have all the ps1 games I really need now.

Titus released it in the U.S. as "Evil Zone," IIRC. Hated the dubbing and censorship and stuck with a Japanese copy.

Eretzvaju was pretty unique and I was disappointed that Yuke's never made a sequel.

Danny Dudekisser

Titus released it in the U.S. as "Evil Zone," IIRC. Hated the dubbing and censorship and stuck with a Japanese copy.

Eretzvaju was pretty unique and I was disappointed that Yuke's never made a sequel.

Aww, my bad. It was Evil Zone. Dead Zone was the DBZ movie, wasn't it?

Fox Mulder

Successful day of shopping:

Edit: Also, do all copies of Heart of Darkness have the spelling "disk" instead of "disc"?

mine does.

Man I love the cardboard long boxes like Wipeout, Resident Evil and In The Hunt. Hate the giant jewel case variety, though.

I was never a fan of jewel cases myself. It seems like ones made for games are always more fragile, and the manual can be a pain in the ass to get out.

Top Bottom