• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

I've never played a Crash or Spyro game. Assuming they can all be had for the same price, which of each series should I try? I'm not getting all of them right away - I don't play any of them if the stack is too high.

EDIT: Also, the Colony Wars series.

I've never played a Crash or Spyro game. Assuming they can all be had for the same price, which of each series should I try? I'm not getting all of them right away - I don't play any of them if the stack is too high.

Crash 2 or 3. Opinions tend to vary on which one is better. And Year of the Dragon for Spyro.

Well look what finally decided to show up today. Stupid Post Office.

This is in great shape. Even has the RE2 demo.

Lew6fL5.jpg

NIGHT-

Well look what finally decided to show up today. Stupid Post Office.

This is in great shape. Even has the RE2 demo.

Lew6fL5.jpg

Congrats! Great game!

I got all 4 Crash games in today( Crash team racing) So pumped to play through them again.

I need to score the Spyro and Medievil games next

I've been looking for Crash 1 and 3. I owned all of them, but somehow I only have Crash 2 and CTR now. Wish I knew where they went :/

The prices for the Crash games on eBay seem a bit high, about $30 each after postage typically.
I'm gonna keep checking out pawn stores and hoping I find copies there, before giving up and going to eBay eventually probably.

NIGHT-

I've been looking for Crash 1 and 3. I owned all of them, but somehow I only have Crash 2 and CTR now. Wish I knew where they went :/

The prices for the Crash games on eBay seem a bit high, about $30 each after postage typically.
I'm gonna keep checking out pawn stores and hoping I find copies there, before giving up and going to eBay eventually probably.

I found all my at local game stores. Each were under 10 dollars a piece and were non greatest hits editions!

I wish my game stores still dealt in PlayStation! I just have to try my luck with second hand stores. Still scoping them out in this area.

There's a store a few miles from where I work that carries everything fro NES to Playstation 1 to SNES to Dreamcast. Problem is, the owner marks everything up, far beyond market value. So there are all these games...and I refuse to shop there. So close, yet so far.

Skyzard

Banned
I only played Crash 1 when I was younger so I'm probably biased but I love it! Got quite far again recently and working on it still - it's pretty damn punishing and hard, especially near the end. Great game though :)

Tried to get into 2 and 3 a few times as I know people enjoyed them too but I didn't feel up to it, moved them to my other memory card [vita] for now.

Overall level design, gameplay variety, and better handling of difficulty spikes is what makes crash 2 and 3 better than the original

I agree somewhat. To 100% Crash 1 required jumping backwards into the camera/back through the level, making blind jumps either on faith or pure memorization. It was a hell of a challenge, but I'm not sure it holds up as a good way to make a game challenging these days.

Dereck

Overall level design, gameplay variety, and better handling of difficulty spikes is what makes crash 2 and 3 better than the original

I agree somewhat. To 100% Crash 1 required jumping backwards into the camera/back through the level, making blind jumps either on faith or pure memorization. It was a hell of a challenge, but I'm not sure it holds up as a good way to make a game challenging these days.
Ok, Ok, yep I see that now.

I remember those parts of Crash, ridiculous.

I am really interested in starting a decent PS collection (i just have 6 games) but i heard the black discs are starting to rot, at least the 1994/5 games... is this true?

Thanks for sharing Rakugaki Showtime! with me. Going to look for that game on Ebay now. I've been itching to play a treasure game and this one was never on my radar.

Thanks. :) Keep up the suggestions.

Fox Mulder

I am really interested in starting a decent PS collection (i just have 6 games) but i heard the black discs are starting to rot, at least the 1994/5 games... is this true?

I wouldn't really worry, as it's out of our control. We can't change manufacturing faults, cheaper materials, or even what the air does.

I spend money for the enjoyment not the investment. It would absolutely suck if my collection was wiped out one day, but my house could burn down while I'm at work too.

The inevitable truth is that someday, emulation will be the only way to play this stuff anyways.

d+pad

Thanks for sharing Rakugaki Showtime! with me. Going to look for that game on Ebay now. I've been itching to play a treasure game and this one was never on my radar.

Thanks. :) Keep up the suggestions.

You're likely already aware of this (if you've checked eBay), but in case you aren't: copies of Rakugaki Showtime can go for quite a bit these days.

A better bet, if you're able to do it, is buy the game off of PSN, where it's something like $5.

You're likely already aware of this (if you've checked eBay), but in case you aren't: copies of Rakugaki Showtime can go for quite a bit these days.

I don't think there's a better time than now. Rakugaki Showtime is the cheaper now than its been in years.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/Di...ote-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php

Wow.. I've been rebuilding my Dreamcast and PS1 collection and this is starting to worry me now
If you have a sizable collection, there is a good chance you are going to come across a few discs that are already starting to rot. Just try to keep them in a dry area where the temperature doesn't fluctuate much.

It sucks, but this stuff isn't going to last forever. Most of this media is two decades old or nearing it. Just try to enjoy it while you can.

IrishNinja

not that it's much consolation, but emuparadise will have the backups for most anything ya'll have

that said, i think it's safe to say that now's the time to invest in gold selling me your copies of Suikoden 1/2 before they're worth poop, please believe i will play them like everyday until there is more rot than goodness

IrishNinja

DidntKnowJack i for one wish you would stop muddying the facts, which are that most studies say all copies of Vib Ribbon, Megaman Legends 2 & Persona 2 will be worth dookie diapers around this time next year, hence my offers to generously unload these fallen treasures before my fellow collectors have to see them decompose

PM me for details, and yes i'll even pay shipping

IrishNinja

you heard it here, folks!

tiny invisible unicorns are prolly poking holes in your Intelligent Qubes, Tron Bonnes & Tales of Destinies as we speak, act now while you still can

Seik

Banned
Damn, disc rot discussion here too. D:

I swear...I won't stop thinking about that shit until the moment I'll be finished checking them all up.

Dereck

Jesus Christ will you guys just stop already? Disc rot is not an inevitability. Government studies have suggested that this kind of media can last up to 200 years. You may someday encounter disc rot, it's usually a product of a defective disc. But properly stored, these games will long outlive YOU.

Stop freaking out over this nonsense.
I didn't give a damn about CD rotting before, not gonna give a damn now. I have been oblivious to this my whole life and nothing has ever happened, not rationale to think about it now at all. Even if I have games that are rotting.

Yeah I made sure to get the original Director's Cut, not the Dual Shock edition. I never used analog in that game anyway, and lack of rumble is a non-issue. Plus, they changed the music. Badly.

ZeroCDR

I never bought the dual shock edition of RE until the recent sale on PSN, gosh that music is AWFUL. I have the vanilla DC edition, but I wanted to have the RE games on my Vita.

The RE2 demo is pretty neat, RE in general has such a rich beta history it's cool to check out the differences. 1.5 finally releasing was like Christmas.

Top Bottom