• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

anyone played through Xenogears 2.0? supposed to be a more definitive version/effort, wanted to hear impressions.

Eh, isn't that just the weeaboo patch? Sure the voices were badly dubbed in the US version for the cut scenes, but in combat they weren't bad. Then stuff like changing X and O around to their "proper" Japanese assignment, instead of the dirty westerner way is kinda dumb if you are already use to X being cancel. Last I checked other then that nothing is different. You are still playing with the English script.

IrishNinja

ah...syncing up the dubs might be worth it, but yeah i heard it improved the combat; if it's just remapping the buttons, that's kind've a letdown. i was hoping for a little something extra, like when you play FF XII Zodiac or something.

ah...syncing up the dubs might be worth it, but yeah i heard it improved the combat; if it's just remapping the buttons, that's kind've a letdown. i was hoping for a little something extra, like when you play FF XII Zodiac or something.

Sorry friend. Unless something changed since I original heard about it it makes no actual improvements to the game, other then by using the original voices it syncs to the lips in cut scenes.

Philia

Ugh, I've really been itching to play either Arc 2 or Xenogears

and even though I own both of them, I'm thinking of double dipping to play on Vita

Any suggestions on which one to go for? And is it a big deal to play Arc 2 without an Arc 1 save file?

I can tell you right now that you're fucked in regards with AtL2's final boss if you're not a completionist with AtL 1 and 2. At least finding and getting those Romancing Stones. 4 of them combined will give you an stone that allows a 1 mp cost of spells.

Eh, isn't that just the weeaboo patch? Sure the voices were badly dubbed in the US version for the cut scenes, but in combat they weren't bad. Then stuff like changing X and O around to their "proper" Japanese assignment, instead of the dirty westerner way is kinda dumb if you are already use to X being cancel. Last I checked other then that nothing is different. You are still playing with the English script.

didn't even speed up the game's text? what a useless patch.

Credo

For those who own or have played The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, is it even close to being worth its current price? Is it even worth half that much?

These are the patch notes of Xenogears 2.0:

- Controls are put back to the original Japanese controls.
- In-game battle combos are back to the original Japanese ones (matching Japanese controls).
- Audio in the Full Motion Videos is in Japanese with English subtitles.
- Voices in the game are back to the original Japanese ones (in battles + certain cutscenes).
- The weight unit in character’s stats is back to kilos (.kgs instead of .lbs).
- Emeralda’s icon eyebrow transparency is corrected.
- The selection arrow in shop menus doesn’t overlap choices (Buy, Sell, Exit) anymore.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have some PS1 demos stuck away somewhere too, including the pre-PS1 release "black ice" disc.

Lyte Edge, props to you for collecting Punch the Monkey!. That, plus Rhythm Busters and Umihara Kawase Shun, must have been a find,

I think I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I built up my PS1 collection, getting games as they came out (I used to import games all the time) or getting them used as they came into the game store that I worked at. I sold off my entire PS1 collection in 1998 to pay off a debt, which was a huge mistake, and I ended up starting the collection all over again several months later. The store still had a lot of the titles I had sold, so I got a lot of good stuff back.

In 2001 I went to Japan for the first time. Akihabara at the time was still filled to the brim with game shops. I ended up buying 50+ games on that trip and completed the bulk of my collection. I know I got Punch The Monkey on that trip...Slap Happy Rhythm Busters I imported at launch when it came out in summer 2000 though. I went back to Japan in 2004 and bought some more stuff, but didn't really continue on with PS1 imports until I moved over there in 2005. I got Umihara Kawase Shun after someone recommended it- where I was, the game shops had tons and tons of used PS1 games. Anything considered rare was put into a showcase for inflated prices, but I believe Umihara was normal price- and just about everything not considered "rare" was in mint condition, complete, and sold for a few hundred yen apiece.

Between that and my days at the game store in the years before, it was pretty easy to complete my collection. Domestic games I could either new or used, then take the best discs, manuals, inserts, and cases, and combine them into a perfect copy.

The hardest game to find in my collection was without a doubt Angel Eyes. I had owned the game before I sold off my PS1 collection in '98. Sold it to a friend when I needed cash and he didn't want to sell it back later- was never able to find a copy online after that and no used copies came through the shop. I searched for the game all the time in Japan and did not find a copy until 2008, in a shop in Aki. I didn't live in Tokyo and saw pretty much everything else you could think of in shops where I lived in Kanazawa. I don't believe the game is rare or anything, but it just never turned up.

Incidentally, what I found the hardest to find were Japanese Xbox games. I used to see a decent number of them out before the 360 launch, but after that some of the titles just disappeared. I had to get KOF Neowave from Yahoo Auction, and after I finally got a copy, I went online only to find it complete dead, lol. Outrun 2 was another game that seemed to become rare pretty overnight.

Regarding RE1, The Japanese directors cut with the later RE2 demo surprised me, because it was different from my western directors cut and sounds like the precursor to the remake at times.

What was different about it?

For those who own or have played The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, is it even close to being worth its current price? Is it even worth half that much?

Nah, but then I don't think any of the higher-priced games are worth it. It's a collection of mini-games. Fun, but nothing to pay a lot for.

hipgnosis

Here's part of my collection, loved my PS1 dearly, had some incredible memories with that console.

Nice collection of PAL stuff from hipgnosis, always nice to see PAL stuff I never did get my hands on.

Thank you! Awesome stuff you got there as well. Lots of stuff I'd like to add to my collection as well.

Some real rarities there as well such as Megaman X4 and Philosoma which are quite hard to find.

Thank you! Awesome stuff you got there as well. Lots of stuff I'd like to add to my collection as well.

Some real rarities there as well such as Megaman X4 and Philosoma which are quite hard to find.

Cheers, always loved the Megaman games since NES days, at one point I had whole collection of the 2D games on PS1, most of which are gone now.
Philosoma is one of my favourites, have great memories of that game and remember my mind being blown by the multiple viewpoints. I even tracked down Phase Paradox on PS2 when I found out it was a sequel to Philosoma, story only though.

Must say you do own one game that eluded me for about 10 years....Hebereke's Popoitto!
God damn I could never find that game anywhere and whenever I used to see it on eBay it was gone in a heartbeat.

Last PS1 game I bought must have been about 2-3 years ago, The Note.
I never did play it.

Cool, Breath of Fire III came in today. Still waiting on Strider 2, Parasite Eve 2 and Rival Schools.

pTC12i4.jpg

I lost the case and manual for my (now non functioning) copy of the game from childhood years ago, so actually having a complete copy of the game again is nice. I wish I had taken better care of my stuff as a kid.

Quick question though: I do most of my PS1 gaming via PS3 these days, and while it's probably the most ideal solution since compatibility is really only a problem for a small handful of games, I've had a bit of a hankering to play it on the original hardware. There's someone I know selling the slim model complete with controllers and wires for about $25.

Are the smaller models generally reliable? I remember having to turn the older models upside down to get it to run stuff reliably (and eventually, it just stopped playing discs altogether), and I just want to make sure I don't have to jump through similar hoops to get stuff to work.

zeelman

My latest PS1 games arrived today!

ou6f5LB.jpg

I bought Ehrgeiz because of the neat RPG Dungeon Crawler sidegame that comes with it.

Can't wait to get owned by the final boss in Saga Frontier 2!

Some great collections here. I had a PS1 at my dads house when I was younger. Beside Spyro and Demo Discs I never played much for the system at the time. I used to watch my dad play MGS and the Oddworld games.

Fast forward to now and I still haven't spent a ton of time with the system. Picked up Jumping Flash! 1 and 2 last year. Really enjoyed them both. It was one of the demos I had played when I was younger and I swear I didn't even know it was in first person. Robbit at the botton of the HUD is what I thought I was "playing as" and it just seemed so random and confusing.

My sister picked up FF VII, VIII, IX, and Anthology and I ended up with them later. I've played them all a bit but only beaten IX. I just loved its world and music so much more than the others.

Everything else I own was mostly thift/local game store bought. I did buy Strider 2, Tomba, King's Field I and II, and UmJammer Lammy online and I bought Vagrant Story at Walmart in the early 00s (2004?). It was just sitting at the bottom of the case sealed for $25. Should have never opened it!

Another nice find was Mega Man Legends 2. $30 at a thrift shop I think. Pricey I thought but other than a cracked case (inserts are perfect) and one or two very light scratches it is in excellent condition and apparently still a bit pricey to pick up online. Nice looking game really. Holds up much better visually than any other 3D PS1 game I've played.

I haven't beaten any of this stuff aside from what I mentioned at the beginning. The backlog continues...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm curious too. I like the FF7 a lot more than the FF8 ones as well, but that's no surprise since I loathe FF8 with a purple passion.

There's a lot of those I remember but many that are barely familiar anymore. Been so long since I played FF7... I'm tempted to play it again some time, but then I saw the chocobo farms and my interest waned just a little... xD

tumblr_mbn2121gMJ1qh0se0.jpg

I could recommend any of these awesome games over current gen titles.

Fighting Force is one of the first games I was super hyped for to disappoint me. No game had ever done it before, it was pretty shitty.

I rememeber waiting all day to download a.. like 5 second clip from IGN of the main guy doing a big round house kick.

Some of my favorite games not getting much mention:

Zjd0x9k.jpg

Rally Cross 2 was a major major disappointment compared to RC1. RC1 had difficult AI drivers and a real challenge as long as you didn't pick the best truck. The maps were fun with an awesome variation. My dad and I used to sit there and crash our cars for hours on end... At one point glitching so hard on the first track, near that part where you go up the big hill, jump at the top, and go into the cave at the bottom... we broke physics and sent my truck flying a thousand miles into the air. All we wanted to do was finish the race at that point ot see what happened, but the game locked up 30 seconds later.

b0NZes3.jpg

A favorite game. Difficult, decent story, memorable characters ("MARKOS!")

Then obviously all of the other classics... Twisted Metal 2, Jet Moto, Tony Hawk

Sam Cassell on the cover... WHY

EEES SOO REAALL

In truth though, I liked High Heat 2003 the most.

wRzqtEJ.jpg

A favorite of mine

EmpXyV2.jpg

Game was on a demo disc I had and my friend and I utterly could not understand it, but we bought it and ended up loving it. Such a frustrating and hard game... Nothing beat the first level, but it was great.

rVhnTdl.jpg

Really great game, but too bad the CPU driver AI was not advanced enough to fight each other only go for you

obmZX8m.png

I finally hit the 200 mark a month or so ago, right now I'm around 204.

I'm pretty happy with the collection because I've managed to pick up most of the costly games aside from a few stragglers (still hoping to find cheap copies of Team Buddies, Klonoa, Tactics Ogre, and Einhander sooner or later). I mainly focus on Japanese stuff, so now most of my efforts are being focused on some of the more obscure, less costly titles.

MAJ6llql.jpg

kVWtkBDl.jpg

wtzOPOjl.jpg

I finally hit the 200 mark a month or so ago, right now I'm around 204.

I'm pretty happy with the collection because I've managed to pick up most of the costly games aside from a few stragglers (still hoping to find cheap copies of Team Buddies, Klonoa, Tactics Ogre, and Einhander sooner or later). I mainly focus on Japanese stuff, so now most of my efforts are being focused on some of the more obscure, less costly titles.

MAJ6llql.jpg

kVWtkBDl.jpg

wtzOPOjl.jpg

Nice collection! I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have most of the really expensive games, except for Tron Bonne and Brigandine, which have alluded my grasp.

Zing

Banned
I bought a PlayStation at the original release pretty much solely for Tekken. I signed up for a Sears card, as I was only 18 with no job, and credit cards were hard to get back then. I then used it to drop $550 on a system, MK3, Tekken, an extra controller, and a memory card. My friends and I played that for a few years, enjoying games like Tekken, GameDay, Jumping Flash, King's Field, and so on. Eventually, I grew out of console gaming and focused on the PC. I tried to hold out for Final Fantasy VII, but it was delayed. I gave up and sold my PlayStation stuff for $110 to someone responding to my newspaper ad (remember those?).

Fast forward to 2003, and I am given an Xbox as a wedding gift. It gets me back into console games, and eventually Dance Dance Revolution catches my attention. The Xbox DDR game was relatively lame, so I sell off my Xbox stuff to buy a PS2 and the associated DDR games. I then get heavily back into gaming full steam, and realize that I can play all those old PlayStation games I passed up. I go on a spending spree, buying around 30 PS1 games over the span of a few months.

I didn't actually get around to playing those games for a few years. I grew weary of modern game design and find myself strictly playing PS1 games, so I sell off the PS2 collection and buy a PSone along with a Sony Wega CRT. I am now at 47 games and playing them on a regular basis. I still play on a CRT, while sitting on a bean bag. This system connected via s-video or better is the only way to experience it.

8071474466_6863971ef5.jpg

Some of my relatively recent accomplishments:

8166769634_4a971b8466.jpg

Ape Escape 100% complete

8166767584_4fe3d16443.jpg

Mega Man Legends

8640964076_5f0a5134ff.jpg

The Legend of Dragoon, 40+ hours to complete, the most I have ever spent on a single player game.

I am currently playing, for the first time, Syphon Filter, Tales of Destiny, and Misadventures of Tron Bonne. I now divide my time between the PSone, NES, and SNES, so I am not blazing my way through the games. I play every day, but I suspect it will take a few years to play through my collection.

Zing

Banned
are the ps1 tales games any good?
I don't know what criteria you wish to use. I am only a few hours into the first game, and I really enjoy it. It isn't too complicated, despite having a totally unique battle system. It certainly feels like a classic 16-bit RPG, but is translated extremely well, and the plot never stops moving. I haven't had a boring moment yet. The graphics and music are well-done, and the characters are interesting.

Quick question though: I do most of my PS1 gaming via PS3 these days, and while it's probably the most ideal solution since compatibility is really only a problem for a small handful of games, I've had a bit of a hankering to play it on the original hardware. There's someone I know selling the slim model complete with controllers and wires for about $25.

Are the smaller models generally reliable? I remember having to turn the older models upside down to get it to run stuff reliably (and eventually, it just stopped playing discs altogether), and I just want to make sure I don't have to jump through similar hoops to get stuff to work.
As someone who has tried several brand new models of the PlayStation and PSone, I'd say there is no reason not to just get the PSone. It is more quiet, smaller footprint, have rubber feet so they don't slide around, and the controllers are superior. The PSone Dual Shock analog sticks are much tighter and more accurate. It really feels as though Sony sat down and engineered a hardware revision that was cheaper because it was more efficiently designed with durable components, and not because of cheap, flimsy components.

I was all set to type, "yes!" It is a great game, from what I have played so far. I acquired it last year from a GAF user for around $100 shipped. I feel it is worth what I paid. Then I just checked current eBay ending prices. What on earth happened? Did someone make a YouTube video about it? It is actually selling for $200+!

I'm not sure I would pay over $200 for it. Maybe. I am the guy who is willing to drop whatever it takes to get great games. I spent $200 on both Tales games and $90 on ISS Pro Revolution. If a game is worth playing, it's worth owning.

are the ps1 tales games any good?
Tales of Destiny is like Tales of Phantasia on the SNES, it's even similar graphically; it's good, but don't expect it to blow you out of the water in any way, could be done on the SNES (taking FMV's aside) and it's a Tales game so plot tends to be simplistic and it's worth it for the gameplay alone. It introduced skits and I like it, but it's not groundbreaking in any way or form.

Tales of Eternia/Destiny 2 (in US) is another beast altogether, it's more colourful and it's tailor made for the PSone while still completly 2D (taking overworld map aside), it had 3 discs and a completly new battle system (still LMBS-based of course). Plot is as silly as it gets, one of the worse Tales of games in that regard (and that's saying a lot), but it doesn't get in the way much.

Both are not widely considered even close to being the best RPG's on the platform. But I like Destiny.

Destiny got remade with Destiny II graphics (Destiny II being a real sequel made in 2002 for the PS2), both were never localized though. But I'm pointing this out because somehow Destiny got more footing than Eternia, most likely due to plot and characters being better.
I'm not sure I would pay over $200 for it. Maybe. I am the guy who is willing to drop whatever it takes to get great games. I spent $200 on both Tales games and $90 on ISS Pro Revolution. If a game is worth playing, it's worth owning.
200 for both tales or 200 each?

Either way, damn, shit's getting expensive. I gotta pick up were I left years ago (last high profile purchase I did for PSone was Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, 100 bucks ouch, but it's mighty mint).

Zing

Banned
I paid $230 total with shipping from eBay for both tales games, from the same seller. They are mint. It looks like you can get them for less than that now.

yaffi

This thread makes me want to start a nice little jrpg collection. Too bad I don't have the money for this.

Importing the games from Japan is actually way cheaper than getting the US versions, but since my Japanese is kinda meh... well... ;_;

Teknoman

This thread makes me want to start a nice little jrpg collection. Too bad I don't have the money for this.

Importing the games from Japan is actually way cheaper than getting the US versions, but since my Japanese is kinda meh... well... ;_;

Hey at least you've got a good headstart right?
The rest of us have to suffer for not grabbing Suikoden 2 back in the day lol.

yaffi

Hey at least you've got a good headstart right?
The rest of us have to suffer for not grabbing Suikoden 2 back in the day lol.

Well, I think I got my PS1 around 1999/2000 (28 now, living in Germany). But I only ever played FF6-9 and Grandia back then.

So you could blame me for not starting a collection earlier too. ^^

It was super fun (I'm a huge Megaman Legends fan to begin with), but I got my copy in a misspelled eBay lot with all of the other PS1 MM games for like $26 shipped.

There's no way I'd pay $200 or even $150 for it based on gameplay alone. It's really charming, but it's way too short.

I didn't know about these little wonder devices until very recently, so thought I'd share.

This little trhing lets you connect to a PS3 with your PS1 or PS2 memory cards, and move saves back and forth between memory cards and the PS3's internal memory cards. This means I can copy over the saves of games I'd been playing on Vita/PSP/PS3 over to a regular memory card to continue on the original hardware. Super neat.

I didn't know about these little wonder devices until very recently, so thought I'd share.

This little trhing lets you connect to a PS3 with your PS1 or PS2 memory cards, and move saves back and forth between memory cards and the PS3's internal memory cards. This means I can copy over the saves of games I'd been playing on Vita/PSP/PS3 over to a regular memory card to continue on the original hardware. Super neat.

Yeah, they're vital for certain games (getting the Suikoden II bonus in Suikoden III, anyone?).

Vashetti

Banned
I'm based in the UK, and only have PAL games.

What are my best options for picture quality?

I know it goes like this:

Component > S-Video > RGB Scart

Most PAL PS2 games don't support 480p. So is it worth using a component cable? Or going the S-video route?

I've got an old bulky PS2 but can probably get a PS2 slim pretty cheap.

What about TVs? Better to have a bulky CRT or a slim EDTV?

Gosh this is exciting :D

Most PAL PS2 games don't support 480p. So is it worth using a component cable? Or going the S-video route?

As far as I'm aware, a PS2 with component cables would be about as good as it gets for PS1 games, since the PS1 doesn't support anything better than composite (to my knowledge).

RGB is better than S-Video. You honestly won't notice much difference between component and RGB.

For PS1 it's RGB > Component > S-Video > composite.
A CRT with RGB SCART or Component inputs would be perfect for PS1.

teiresias

I've been playing through Blood Omen for the first time (via PSN, don't own the disc) and am finding it oddly engaging even though the combat and controls and loading times completely suck. It probably helps that I love Soul Reaver (though SR is the only game in the series I'd played previously).

I probably need to start looking for some replacement wired controllers that can work with my original PS1. I can't remember, is the PS2 DS2 backwards compatible with the PS1 hardware? I also need to open my launch PS2 and adjust its laser some day, it's gotten rather finicky.

I've been playing through Blood Omen for the first time (via PSN, don't own the disc) and am finding it oddly engaging even though the combat and controls and loading times completely suck. It probably helps that I love Soul Reaver (though SR is the only game in the series I'd played previously).

I probably need to start looking for some replacement wired controllers that can work with my original PS1. I can't remember, is the PS2 DS2 backwards compatible with the PS1 hardware? I also need to open my launch PS2 and adjust its laser some day, it's gotten rather finicky.

Dualshock 2s will work on PS1s. I played Ape Escape with one back in the day.

Top Bottom