• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

I would absolutely adore adding to my (very small) physical collection but since I live in Australia (more specifically the very outskirts of Melbourne) I have no idea where to start.

Anyone in Victoria know where to find this stuff outside of eBay?

hipgnosis

So here are my latest purchases:

vlqNCeD.jpg

Suiko 2 and Tomba guides are new, I owned the games already. Suiko 2 is my all time favorite JRPG.

Philosoma is an interesting game, it has even 3D shmup elements. Not a very good shmup though.

Someone mentioned Sheep, Dog, n' Wolf in this thread. The artstyle of that game seemed gorgeous so I had to have it.

Loa8BUI.jpg

Zing

Banned
Unfortunately, the sheepwolfdog game was very disappointing, especially compared to the previous bugs bunny games. I feel as though I already ranted about it here, maybe in the hidden gems topic.

woodypop

Long boxes!

4D133E23-83FB-490E-916F-7687F85DF7E6-1900-000001E2A22AA49B_zps25a4247c.jpg

ED9B403C-A68A-496C-B8F7-EA2DD6170C0D-1900-000001E2C0617897_zps332d463c.jpg

I'd really like to add Resident Evil to the mix.

A couple of things bug me about the long boxes though: 1) The spine text is printed opposite. When the spine is set upright, you tilt your head to the right to read it, instead of to the left. 2) Some of the cardboard tends to separate from the black plastic cases. =(

I would absolutely adore adding to my (very small) physical collection but since I live in Australia (more specifically the very outskirts of Melbourne) I have no idea where to start.

Anyone in Victoria know where to find this stuff outside of eBay?

I'm in Perth, and the best I've found is either on Gumtree or searching around local second hand stores. Cash Converters don't have much pre-PS2 stuff these days but other stores sometimes do.

I am so sad about the state of indie game stores in Australia :(

Bar81

A couple of things bug me about the long boxes though: 1) The spine text is printed opposite. When the spine is set upright, you tilt your head to the right to read it, instead of to the left.

That's how it's supposed to work, text reads from top to bottom.

Great thread!
I used to have PSX Underground disc, PSM magazine, Next Generation magazine, and some others which my mom threw away when I moved out :(
Those would've been collectors items.
I don't think I ever payed for these things. I just always filled out the cards to get free subscriptions over and over again. lol
I remember I saw Soul Calibur in one of my PSM magazines and I totally lost it. I was a huge Soul Blade fan and when I saw the upgrade in graphics, whew!
Battle Arena Toshinden was my first psx game and it desperately needs to be remade by a capable developer but keep the music. All my favorite games had great music. I miss those days when I was a die hard gamer...so much fun.
Oh and Psychic Force needs to be redone too.
Psychic_Force_Pal.jpg

woodypop

^ I never played any of the PSX ones, but I remember liking Psychic Force 2012 on Dreamcast. I imagine they were fairly similar, minus some graphical/resolution differences and characters?

^ I never played any of the PSX ones, but I remember liking Psychic Force 2012 on Dreamcast. I imagine they were fairly similar, minus some graphical/resolution differences and characters?

Psychic Force on psx played just like the one on Dreamcast. The Dreamcast version had better graphics and I believe more characters. Honestly, I didn't like the fighting engine too much but I loved the characters and the anime. I don't remember the intro for PF 2012 but the first game's intro was very good.

edit: Oh my goodness! You're telling me there was a Psychic Force 2? I had no idea. I thought 2012 WAS the second one. I'm viewing it on youtube right now.
Btw, around this time I played Ghost in the Shell for psx which would also be nice if redone. (I'm sure there are more games for that too now)

double edit: There's even a OVA for Psychic Force! I really fell off.

IrishNinja

in case anyone knows: ive got a dex drive that i believe to be functional, all i need nowadays is a serial to USB port compatible with win7 and downloaded copy of Dexter, yeah? it'd be great to get at my archived saves!

looking to pick up a modded ps1 from baphomet, he says he can easily chip others if anyone's interested...the more i read about the PS1 import scene i largely missed out on (superior Jammer Lammy version though!), the more i wanna dive into it.

The PS1 is my favorite system :)
I've acquired a sizeable collection over the years so why not show it:

I also have Gensou Suikoden 1&2 on PSP and a couple of games on PSN (The Silver Case, Brigandine, Gunparade March, Langrisser I-II and IV-V, etc.).

You're missing Ore no Ryouri.

Here's kind of a niche question but I figure this is a good place to ask.

Anyone here play PS1 games on their PS3 (either disc or digital) and use component cables with the PS3 output set to 1080i to reduce lag? The lag is really bugging me as I try to play shmups and racers.

Well, according to this thread, using component and having a TV with little lag (or game mode if you have one that works) should take care of the issue. The problem is apparently the PS3 converting an interlaced signal to progressive.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/753069/ps3s-hdmi-has-built-in-lag-on-ps1-ps2-games

It's an old thread but the problem still stands. Up to now, I'd be reluctant to do this this because I'd lose the best quality signal for Netflix and Blu-Ray movies, etc. It's what the OP in the thread accurately calls a "lose-lose" situation. However, something is happening this month that changes the equation: the PS4. I can use the PS4 as my Blu-Ray and Netflix device. I'm using the PS3 as a Playstation legacy machine. Any small loss of fidelity is OK by me if I can get rid of lag when playing PS1 or PS2 classics.

Sinople

You're missing Ore no Ryouri.

I heard a lot about it but I still don't know what kind of game it is >_<

And I'm actually missing a lot of games I'd like to buy but are overpriced now: Yûyamidoori Tankentai, Geppy X, Moon, the Rockman Xs, Palette, some visual novels, etc.

Well, I just ordered a ps3 component cable from monoprice to test the theory above. I'm kind of skeptical this will fix the lag but 7 bucks is no big loss if it doesn't. I'll give it a run with Namco Museum, Raiden Project, Ridge Racer and SOTN and report back.

woodypop

tekken 2, 3 & Fear Effect on craigslist for $10...feelin like i got what i paid for.
PS2 doesnt boot any of em as is (well, tekken 3's audio...), what do you guys recommend? google search says toothpaste, alcohol, lots of gamestop resurfacing recommendations (dont think they do that anymore), not sure which to try first.
Did you ever get any of these discs to work?

IrishNinja

...nah, might try getting them resurfaced at Mzo's place later but its a lost cause at the moment, they're just not booting despite my efforts. they're badly scratched and i shouldnt've bought them honestly. again i took for granted after reviving all those carts that things would just work, but these are a mess.

as a kid stuff like The Brave Little Toaster would make me feel bad about abusing electronics, and man if that was still the case i'dve wept for these discs. also occurred to me i bought 1-2 of the 4 disc Fear Effect game, haha.

Man I still need to get Brave Fencer Musashi. I loved the demo on the PSX Underground disc. There was also a great game called Intelligent Cube. I think I have to start a psx collection again.
Plus I always wanted to play Soukaigi after seeing it in PSM magazine. They had really good information on imports.
Soukaigi_cover.jpg

IrishNinja

wish i had a pic on me, but...when i went to get my mail (was expecting a couple games from B/S/T), i found another little package...with Tekken 2! in excellent shape/complete and a note that says "BELIEVE! i had an extra copy." haha, i have my suspicions but yeah, much love to my mystery good samaritan, you totally made my day.

gonna be fun trying to remember how to link those breaks with Armor King after all these years....

JDHarbs

All the PS4 hype got me to break out the PSOne again for some nostalgia. I'm having a blast playing these games again. Despite the extremely low resolution and poly counts, this system holds up well.

I had to stop b/c I couldn't find one of my games. I've never misplaced one of my games before. I've been digging through every inch of my house looking for it, and still nothing. Its driving me crazy.

Well, according to this thread, using component and having a TV with little lag (or game mode if you have one that works) should take care of the issue. The problem is apparently the PS3 converting an interlaced signal to progressive.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/753069/ps3s-hdmi-has-built-in-lag-on-ps1-ps2-games

It's an old thread but the problem still stands. Up to now, I'd be reluctant to do this this because I'd lose the best quality signal for Netflix and Blu-Ray movies, etc. It's what the OP in the thread accurately calls a "lose-lose" situation. However, something is happening this month that changes the equation: the PS4. I can use the PS4 as my Blu-Ray and Netflix device. I'm using the PS3 as a Playstation legacy machine. Any small loss of fidelity is OK by me if I can get rid of lag when playing PS1 or PS2 classics.

Quoting myself for context.

Well, I tried this out with R4 and Raiden Project and I feel like it worked. Before, R4 felt off just a bit. Felt like I was fighting the game. Via component/1080i it just clicked. Felt like old Ridge Racer and immediate went to winning races that I couldn't quite master before. Raiden allowed me to try to see how responsive it truly is. Felt like there was a very very minor gap - if any at all - between the button press and the pew pew pew.

I would love for someone else to try this and confirm. I'm afraid it might be placebo effect but I dunno. I've played enough Ridge Racer to know how it should feel and it felt RIGHT.

IrishNinja

is there a good RGB vs component or whatever else the PS1 can use? im liking the SCART RGB for PS2, wondering if that's the go-to for PSX now

Rich!

Cross posting from the pickup thread. Didn't realise there was a PS1 collectors thread!

Someone I know gave me a free NTSC PS1 that had a fucked laser. Sounded like a cement mixer - wouldn't read discs unless upside down either.

Went to a shop in town, bought a later model PS1 in mint condition for £4.99. Swapped the laser unit over (ribbon cable almost didn't reach), and then changed the case. Works like brand new now. It's pretty much silent and works like a dream.

Only problem is that I got scammed on the RGB SCART cable I bought from eBay. It's bloody composite. As a result, my USA PS1 only displays in black and white. Not good. But hey, it was 99p. Ordered a real one for £3 and hopefully that will be here soon.

Thank god RGB cables are dirt cheap in the UK. Looking at the price of those jp21 framemeister cables makes my eyes water.

Looking forward to playing some classic PS1 on my CRT!

Crossposting from the November pickups thread. Best personal PS1 pickup thus far IMHO :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VP_zpsc08a2afc.jpg

By far the most expensive/rare game I have in my retro library. I tried it thru emulators and was mesmerized absolutely gorgeous maybe even the best pixel art on PS1. Really love the setting in Norse Mythology and the gameplay is incredibly fun/unique even for its day in the JRPG golden age. A must buy recommendation for all JRPG fans IMHO. SO knowing that I enjoy the first...

Valkyrieprofileseries_zps7e1c4d56.jpg

Yep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPENT WAY TOO MUCH THIS MONTH! Lol.

Was worth it :)

IrishNinja

since everyone's talkin bout arcade sticks, any impressions on the official asciiware one? looks quality enough, i wanna say we had some posts on it a few pages back but i'm lazy, haha.

also dumb question but it should work on PS2 as well, yeah?

*edit looking back, that one post said it wasn't bad since im not using it for tourney play (but man that mas stick was nice), gonna watch the CGR review soon...also 16-bit highlighted a konami hyperstick i cant find anywhere on ebay

VP is expensive, but you're much better off with the PS1 version than the PSP remake IMO

Irish, the only good PS1-era arcade sticks I would recommend are the Konami Hyperstick and the Namco Joystick (gray and yellow one).
My favorite sticks for the system are the Hori Real Arcade Pro series though. They're PS2 sticks but also work on PS1.

IrishNinja

Irish, the only good PS1-era arcade sticks I would recommend are the Konami Hyperstick and the Namco Joystick (gray and yellow one).
My favorite sticks for the system are the Hori Real Arcade Pro series though. They're PS2 sticks but also work on PS1.

but but Mark says it's good for my purposesssss
ill look for the gray & yellow namco one as well if its a similar price, but the only thing im not liking about the official asciiware one is that the stick is clicky, my PS3 one is that style and i've never been fond of it personally

Well, the Namco Joystick is has a proper microswitched lever too. For all intents and purposes in Hori's clone of a Sanwa JLF. You can still enjoy the clickiness.

IrishNinja

...wait, so the namco one is or isn't clicky? cause all the old ones i use aren't, so it's kinda off putting when they are. i really should read a markman guide or something, i know it has something to do with japanese parts (?) but it doesn't remind me of the arcade experience at all when they click

It's clicky because it's microswitched like real arcade parts. The sticks that don't click typically use rubber contacts instead of microswitches, and feel and play like shit.

VP is expensive, but you're much better off with the PS1 version than the PSP remake IMO

Yep and I know why its pretty damn good
Also rare in production in general over here in the US like every good jrpg it seems
!

Found my old PS1 in my parents attic this weekend....... it powered on but didnt read discs. I scrubbed the laser not-so-gently with a Q-tip and it works now! Found my only two games, too :p

Those are some good games too!

baphomet

Speaking of ps1/2 sticks, i actually pad hacked one of my 360 sticks to work on my ps1 and 2 today. I considered getting that ascii one, but decided against it because i had enough extra parts around here to do it for free. I seem to remember it beinf pretty ok though. I havent used one in like 15 years though.

Top Bottom