• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

I got my old stuff out due to PS4 launch, so here are a few pictures.

BaPCGU6CUAAWNsn.jpg:large

Sadly, it's getting increasingly difficult to find PS1 games in any of the usual haunts. Sometimes luck out on them in charity shops. Silent Hill for 99p was a highlight of the month a few months ago!

Teknoman

Has anyone ever had a scratch appear on their discs from just sitting there? I checked out my Castlevania Chronicles this morning, and its got a light scratch on the back near the center. Bought it brand new from Electronics Boutique when it released, and i've never let anyone borrow it.

Could it have gotten scratched from having other PS1 cases stacked on top? Or is this something that might happen from taking the game out of the case every so often?

Has anyone ever had a scratch appear on their discs from just sitting there? I checked out my Castlevania Chronicles this morning, and its got a light scratch on the back near the center. Bought it brand new from Electronics Boutique when it released, and i've never let anyone borrow it.

Could it have gotten scratched from having other PS1 cases stacked on top? Or is this something that might happen from taking the game out of the case every so often?
Nearly 20 year old discs are bound to get some scratches here and there, just from basic handling - even by OCD people. If it's just a small one it's not going to affect playback.

In regards to the scratching thing, the PS1 discs were so ridiculously durable. My copy of MegaMan Legends 2 is really scratched up, but it plays pretty much perfectly.

Also, my PSone has something rattling around inside of it, but it still works like new. Lol

Crossposting from the CV thread.
$_57.JPG

As one of my favorite franchises I cant wait to finally play this (relatively) hard to come by PlayStation entry, barely knew it existed until a few years ago, another title overshadowed by SOTN I suppose.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I remember going waaaay out of my way to pick up Castlevania Chronicles when it was new. Glad I did... went on to be a rare one.

I still think it's arranged soundtrack is pretty cool

Yeah I agree!

Crossposting from the CV thread.
$_57.JPG

As one of my favorite franchises I cant wait to finally play this (relatively) hard to come by PlayStation entry, barely knew it existed until a few years ago, another title overshadowed by SOTN I suppose.
I have the digital version but haven't much touched it since getting it. Need to give it another try now that I have a lovely Vita to play it on.

hipgnosis

Been playing a lot of Tombi! 2 recently. Man this game is awesome. I love the rough colourful polygonal graphics. The missions are fun as hell and the backtracking in this game is awesome as well since you'll find something new everytime with your new abilities.

Why aren't there more games like these? Nice platforming with light RPG elements and Metroidesque mechanics.

The music is great as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBiyyZULyCM

I might prefer this sequel to the original.

On a side note I've learned to love old polygonal graphics. People always seem to say that old 3D games haven't aged well, but I think those old 3D graphics are charming as hell.

yZKyKyG.jpg

I have the digital version but haven't much touched it since getting it. Need to give it another try now that I have a lovely Vita to play it on.

Funny story about that game, I finally decided to pick it up again a couple of months ago, and I bought a copy without the manual for $25 at my game store. Our store is next door to a Half Price Books. I went on break that same day and looked through the games.. looked up and saw it, took it off of the shelf and bam, perfect condition, manual and everything - $3!
I gave the manual-less copy to my boss and kept the full one *lol*

Been playing a lot of Tombi! 2 recently. Man this game is awesome. I love the rough colourful polygonal graphics. The missions are fun as hell and the backtracking in this game is awesome as well since you'll find something new everytime with your new abilities.

Why aren't there more games like these? Nice platforming with light RPG elements and Metroidesque mechanics.

The music is great as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBiyyZULyCM

I might prefer this sequel to the original.

On a side note I've learned to love old polygonal graphics. People always seem to say that old 3D games haven't aged well, but I think those old 3D graphics are charming as hell.

yZKyKyG.jpg

While I never played Tomba, I agree that those old 3d graphics are still charming. I gravitate towards the older games like Brave Fencer Musashi and other old psx/saturn/dreamcast games more than the new generation of stuff. The graphics in the new generation are great but there is something about the colors and the worlds they tried to build in the older generation. It reminds me of how charming VHS is compared to blue-ray. Call it nostalgia or whatever, I love it. I think it's because I don't want everything looking realistic.

I guess I am in the PSX game. I have a system already sitting at my parents house along with Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid, but I hadn't really inteded to get into collecting games for the system. But, I found Legacy of Kain for $7 the other day and I've never played it before. Now I have that itch so picked up some more stuff today:

MgvDqtw.jpg

I don't know my Playstation prices so I don't know how well I did, but they seemed like fair enough prices to me. I mostly want the Resident Evil and Mega Man X games for the system, so those are what I'm on the hunt for. They had Resident Evil 1 for $7, but it didn't have a case, so fuck that.

Muffdraul

GB8Cg9u.jpg

Last night I stumbled across my old copy of Tenchu, JP import from early 1998 I think. Popped it in and played it for about half an hour. Well, tried to play it. My god, talk about aging horribly. Aside from being a hideous looking game, it's almost literally unplayable. The controls are laughably bad. Yet, I remember totally loving it when it came out. There are lots of old games I can go back and play and enjoy, much older than 1998. This one is... a very special case. Totally flabbergasted that I could have possibly even slightly enjoyed it at one time, over two years into the PSX's life span. I remember hearing that the US version was much improved.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
GB8Cg9u.jpg

Last night I stumbled across my old copy of Tenchu, JP import from early 1998 I think. Popped it in and played it for about half an hour. Well, tried to play it. My god, talk about aging horribly. Aside from being a hideous looking game, it's almost literally unplayable. The controls are laughably bad. Yet, I remember totally loving it when it came out. There are lots of old games I can go back and play and enjoy, much older than 1998. This one is... a very special case. Totally flabbergasted that I could have possibly even slightly enjoyed it at one time, over two years into the PSX's life span. I remember hearing that the US version was much improved.

The Japanese version was pretty busted, from what I recall. I haven't played the US version in years, either, though... So I dunno how that one is these days. The music's still insanely good -- I know that much.

I guess I am in the PSX game. I have a system already sitting at my parents house along with Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid, but I hadn't really inteded to get into collecting games for the system. But, I found Legacy of Kain for $7 the other day and I've never played it before. Now I have that itch so picked up some more stuff today:

MgvDqtw.jpg

I don't know my Playstation prices so I don't know how well I did, but they seemed like fair enough prices to me. I mostly want the Resident Evil and Mega Man X games for the system, so those are what I'm on the hunt for. They had Resident Evil 1 for $7, but it didn't have a case, so fuck that.

NIce to see new ps1 collectors join the fold! Welcome!

And that Castlevania Chronicles price is great! SF3 is a steal at that price too! Parasite Eve 2 is something I've been hunting for myself and thats definitely a great discount also. Everything looks t be below online market prices so I'd say You dun gud with some gud games :).]

I love the ps1, I will take some pictures of my collection after work to help revive this thread!

Are any of you PS1 collectors worried about disc rot? Some of my rarer discs have some discoloration but they play just fine.

I hope someday an everdrive-like solution can be engineered for the ps1 so we can play games on real hardware without needing the discs.

I love the ps1, I will take some pictures of my collection after work to help revive this thread!

Are any of you PS1 collectors worried about disc rot? Some of my rarer discs have some discoloration but they play just fine.

I hope someday an everdrive-like solution can be engineered for the ps1 so we can play games on real hardware without needing the discs.

There already is....
http://ps-io.com/

hipgnosis

To be honest, I'm not concerned at all. At least as an PAL collector. These PAL discs were manufactured in Austria and seem to be pretty high quality. They have this thick black bottom that seems pretty sturdy. I also live in a country with dry and cool air so they are stored in a dry place. I have approximately 120 PS1 games in my collection and none seem to have anything that would indicate disc rot or other changes.

I believe this problem is greatly exaggerated and people are throwing this out without proper research. These discs could last 100+ years.

putermcgee

This might be a little niche, but has anyone ever seen a real life copy of the Japanese release of Thrasher: Skate & Destroy? I look every time I go to a game shop, and can never find it. I'm almost suspecting it never existed.

Picked up a couple more things today:

Always wanted to check out Xenogears.

I have no idea what Pocket Fighter is. I was thinking of Puzzle Fighter when I bought it, then it occurred to me as I was walking out of the store that it was the wrong title. Looks like mini Street Figher? Whatever, it was only $5.

This place takes forever to get their PSX stuff out 'cause they resurface all their disc based stuff. They still had another giant stack of games in the back not ready to sell yet along with about 1000 DVDs.

I have no idea what Pocket Fighter is. I was thinking of Puzzle Fighter when I bought it, then it occurred to me as I was walking out of the store that it was the wrong title. Looks like mini Street Figher? Whatever, it was only $5.
Pretty much. It's a fun little casual fighter. For that price? Well worth it.

Danny Dudekisser

Pretty much. It's a fun little casual fighter. For that price? Well worth it.

Pocket Fighter is great. Obviously, it's as far from a competitive-grade fighter as you're gonna get, but it's a really fun little game once you figure out how it works. Saturn version's better, due to the RAM cart, but the PS1 version was still serviceable.

IrishNinja

i was wanting to replace my US Um Jammer Lammy for a JP one like i used to have, since i hate the changes to the final level, but was wondering: was the PAL one censored too? even then, does it run the same speed?

Danny Dudekisser

Holy shit, I forgot I even bought that lol.

I actually thought for a second "oh yeah, I needed to buy that," and then I remembered it's been sitting in my closet for 9 months.

As far as I know, the PAL version was uncensored. I don't know about a 60hz mode, though.

someday I'll find the long box version of resident evil, someday

but I bought road rash long box the other day, pretty cool to go with my loaded and twisted metal and random baseball longbox B^)

sourc3d

someday I'll find the long box version of resident evil, someday

but I bought road rash long box the other day, pretty cool to go with my loaded and twisted metal and random baseball longbox B^)

Seeing this post, I just had to go and search through my garage store of my old consoles

Photo%2006-02-2014%2000%2038%2004.jpg

Photo%2006-02-2014%2000%2038%2023.jpg

Photo%2006-02-2014%2000%2038%2035.jpg

I can remember this cost me a lot as a new import to the uk back when it was released. But it was so worth it!

Fox Mulder

if it happens, it happens.

you can't do anything about manufacturing flaws, prior owners, or the air. Your house could burn down as well.

Teknoman

I still need to find a good Ape Escape, Vanark and Omega Boost. Never played the last two, but they sound like my style of game, and Ape Escape...well I just really like the series, but cant seem to find a good copy of 1 or 2 for a decent price.

TnK

2jgEGIT.jpg

Some new additions. Kingsleys Adventure seems fun as hell and the colourful graphics are awesome.
Kingsley is a very fun game. Never finished it though, because near the end, it became really hard.
I still need to find a good Ape Escape, Vanark and Omega Boost. Never played the last two, but they sound like my style of game, and Ape Escape...well I just really like the series, but cant seem to find a good copy of 1 or 2 for a decent price.
Ape Escape and Omega Boost are a blast. Try to track them down.

I did NOT know a psx thread exists. This is the console I grew up instead of the SNES, and I love this console dearly. That being said, I need to buy a good number of the games I used to own. Like my old GBA collection, almost all my PSX collection is bootleg aside from my RPG collection. Unlike the GBA, I knew I was buying bootleg PSX games most of the time, lol. Buying bootleg back in the day had its benefits, if not for bootleg, I would not have played almost all the beloved PSX games discussed in the forums here.
Every PSX game back then would cost me about $3, so buying 10+ games each visit to the game store was the norm.

I really need to buy back the best games in my collection, lol. Mostly because they are scratched like mad, and are almost unplayable. BTW mods, not glorifying piracy, just mentioning a brief part of my childhood.

That being said, which psx do you all like more? Fat or slim? I personally like the slim more than the old grey one.

I like the OG more thanks to better audio and the I/O port. The new one is too stripped down, as with all slim revisions, to save on manufacturing costs.

Ramune

I like the OG more thanks to better audio and the I/O port. The new one is too stripped down, as with all slim revisions, to save on manufacturing costs.

That and the older model is much more nostalgic IMO. I took it out a few months ago because my roommate acquired his own copy of Elemental Gearbolt, and during lightgun testing on a PS2 phat (his; I only own the slim), I pulled out my old phat PS1 and the startup sequence was just instantly nostalgia inducing.

I'll have to see if mine has the I/O port. I don't remember it having one, but that recent time I don't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me and it suddenly appeared to me or not.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I played Destruction Derby the other day. My god, it has not aged well.
The only memory I have of this game is renting it with friends back in the day, thinking "what is this shit", calling back the video store and asking them if we could exchange it for another rental because it was so terrible. xD (Luckily, they agreed!)

TnK

What was the I/O port used for? Never used it myself. Other than that, what do you mean by better audio? My old PSX works, but it does not register controllers anymore.

Ramune

Finally had a chance to check out my PS1 and found it did have an I/O port....Serial I/O port that is. Knew it was different from my friend's back in the day. It's a SCPH-9001, so that parallel port is gone. So if I want something like PSIO, I'll have to learn how to solder. Outside of the audophilles wet dream that is the early model, the improvements made especially to the CD-Rom, make the loss of features a bit negligible IMO. What say you PS1-GAF?

Playstation models

TnK

Since this is a PS1 thread I want to ask this:

Is there a way to soft mod my PS2 to play multi region PS1 games?

Danny Dudekisser

Since this is a PS1 thread I want to ask this:

Is there a way to soft mod my PS2 to play multi region PS1 games?

I've seen the swap disc method work with PS1 games using a Gameshark. I'm sure swap magic works, as well.

Unfortunately, that's about as soft of a mod as you're going to find, and we all know that using swap discs is a pain in the ass.

I ended up just buying a Japanese PS2 to go with my US one. Not a single regret.

kick51

Banned
I wonder if the PS-X-Change 2 discs work on PS2. would be nice to be able to play Tobal 2 without buying a separate PS1.

i would try myself, but it's early and i'm lazy. maybe later today

TnK

Thing is, I have a modded PS2; two actually. The one that plays multi region PSX games now scratches disks, because I placed a SNES on top of the PS2 for a while (dumb, I know).

I bought a spare modded PS2 when they announced that PS2s would be discontinued. Sadly, that PS2 does not play multi region PSX games. It does play multi region PS2 games though.

My pickups from the last week or so:

Most of them I got for free. Had some of it just sitting in closets at my parents house and my brother in law gave me most of the rest. I am dying for a copy of Resident Evil 3 'cause I haven't played it since it came out. Haven't found one locally yet, though.

I wonder if you can buy replacement three disc cases anywhere. That FFVII case is cracked and doesn't hold discs, so they just kind of flop around in there.

Top Bottom