• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

IrishNinja

damn, Hero - you hit the jackpot with that haul! congrats man.
as for triple discs, just look up which games required em & figure out which is cheapest, i think that'd be your best bet?

Is it the actual middle black piece that is broken? If not you can just use 2 other normal cases to replace to two outsides.

No, it's just the outer ones so I'll have to give that a go. What's weird is the middle parts that the disc goes around looks fine, but it won't hold the disc at all.

My pickups from the last week or so:

Most of them I got for free. Had some of it just sitting in closets at my parents house and my brother in law gave me most of the rest. I am dying for a copy of Resident Evil 3 'cause I haven't played it since it came out. Haven't found one locally yet, though.

I wonder if you can buy replacement three disc cases anywhere. That FFVII case is cracked and doesn't hold discs, so they just kind of flop around in there.

Damn those are some great games! I'm still trying to find Silent Hill in the wild. Good job/good Brother in law lol.

Also holy shit Strider 2 jumped in price from when I was looking at it a year ago. Now it ebays for ridiculous 70$+ :( Guess others got the same idea I did for revisiting the series before the new entry.

Damn those are some great games! I'm still trying to find Silent Hill in the wild. Good job/good Brother in law lol.

Also holy shit Strider 2 jumped in price from when I was looking at it a year ago. Now it ebays for ridiculous 70$+ :( Guess others got the same idea I did for revisiting the series before the new entry.

Yeah, I actually didn't realize how much he had given me until I took the picture. Didn't realize Silent Hill was in there. I actually haven't played it before, so it's on my list of shit to play.

I was with a fellow Gaffer a couple weeks ago who found Strider 2 locally in case and everything for like $35. Super jealous, but it was the same time I got Castlevania Chronicles for $25, so I can't be too upset.

Strider 1 and 2 will be on the retail version of Strider (Double Helix) in Japan. Cheaper to just import that if you have a PS3 I guess.

Fusebox

Banned
So FF7 is one of my favourite games ever.
FF8 I've started and restarted so many times and just never felt compelled to keep playing.
FF9 I've held off playing because I wanted to finish FF8 first but I finally gave up on that idea and started FF9 and damn it's good. It sucked me in right away and looks fantastic on the Vita.

If I had to be stuck in one console generation for the rest of my life I'd choose PSX for sure.

Strider 2's always been in the $45-50 range, IIRC. Probably a combination of having a low print run and the fact that you get both Strider games with it. The announcement for the new game probably pushed it over the edge in the past year though, yeah.

IIRC, the PAL version's even more expensive since that fixed the disc printing screwup that happened with the US release.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Reminds me that I rebought Fear Effect back in April... I think. I'm pretty sure I did. In any case, I have yet to open it. I really should, if only to see if it's as good as I remember.

lutheran

I have been wanting to play the last Thunderforce game for a while now, I think it was on the PS1 or PS2. Is there any way I can play it now on my PS3 or Vita?

Teknoman

I've always wondered, is that supposed to be a blond strider in your avatar? For some reason, Galford always came to mind, but I just realized that he doesnt have a scarf covering his face.

kick51

Banned
Good god the PS3 PS1 emulator is crap for some games.

I popped Tobal no.1 into a PS2 tonight and it's a night and day difference. There's no slowdown (lots of it on the PS3) and no input lag at all, aside from whatever my plasma is producing.

I didn't realize it would be that big of a difference.

Really?

Strider 1 and 2 are not on PSN.

they're going to put them up. I will chop off my dick if Capcom spent money to port them

Danny Dudekisser

AFAIK, the PS1 version of Strider 2 was seriously pared down from the arcade version. The port of Strider was great, but the sequel was made a lot easier. That's not firsthand knowledge, just what I remember hearing at some point.

Ramune

I have been wanting to play the last Thunderforce game for a while now, I think it was on the PS1 or PS2. Is there any way I can play it now on my PS3 or Vita?

Techincally the last Tecnosoft produced was Thunder Force V on PS1 and Saturn, but there IS a Thunder Force VI for PS2. It was licensed to Sega by Tecnosoft's remains. I never did get a clear answer if the game was good or not. ^_^;

Thunder Force V is on JP PSN, so you CAN play it on a PS3 and PSV with a JP account. Was even free on JP PS+ for a bit. Looks good on the Vita.

AFAIK, the PS1 version of Strider 2 was seriously pared down from the arcade version. The port of Strider was great, but the sequel was made a lot easier. That's not firsthand knowledge, just what I remember hearing at some point.

Really? I thought the arcade game ran on an arcade equivalent of PS1 hardware. Then again, those things usually had more memory or something like the ST-V to the Saturn and the Naomi to Dreamcast.

I believe the low print run. I remember having a heck of a time trying to find Strider 2 and N64's Goemon's Great Adventure when they were first "released". I didn't have a car back then either, so that certainly didn't help. :p

IrishNinja

never got to play 2 in the arcades sadly, but yeah - i really enjoyed the port but it's crazy-easy and can be beaten in one sitting pretty comfortably, if you don't mind continuing like a ninja dog. can't imagine it's a tough 1cc though, and the broken guy you unlock after is even crazier.

man i spent the first few months with it thinking i was the only sap who got the discs mislabeled, till i starting asking around.

Since people in here have mentioned visual issues with PS1 games, I have a quick question:

When I hook up and play my PS2 on my HDTV (Sony Bravia), the text in games is very blurry and hard to read. I have been dying to get back into .hack again now that I own the games I didnt own when I originally bought the first one, but the text is very difficult to read, especially on the non-in game screens. Is there any solutions to this? I have tried fiddling with the settings on my TV, but nothing seems to help.

Is it because I use the RCA cables? (Yellow,white,red)

I have hooked up other consoles with RCA cables and they've worked fine. PS2 seems to be the only outlier here.

kick51

Banned
It is certainly a challenging 1CC/speed run. but i've never actually played the arcade version. does MAME run it well?

Since people in here have mentioned visual issues with PS1 games, I have a quick question:

When I hook up and play my PS2 on my HDTV (Sony Bravia), the text in games is very blurry and hard to read. I have been dying to get back into .hack again now that I own the games I didnt own when I originally bought the first one, but the text is very difficult to read, especially on the non-in game screens. Is there any solutions to this? I have tried fiddling with the settings on my TV, but nothing seems to help.

I have hooked up other consoles with RCA cables and they've worked fine. PS2 seems to be the only outlier here.

yep. component cables will make a huge difference in image quality here.

Ramune

Yeah, the RCA cables (composite) isn't helping you any. Probably best to upgrade to Component video. The PS3 component cables work with the PS2.

Edit: Chopped up like a lowly goon vs. Strider Hiryu

Yeah, the RCA cables (composite) isn't helping you any. Probably best to upgrade to Component video. The PS3 component cables work with the PS2.

Edit: Chopped up like a lowly goon vs. Strider Hiryu

Fucking balling out of control, you answered my other question.

GAF has my back today.

kick51

Banned
Fucking balling out of control, you answered my other question.

GAF has my back today.

PS1/PS2/PS3 all use the same vid cable jacks and the power cord works on all of them too (aside the PS2 slim power brick)

Now I'm wondering it's the same for PS4...that would be cool

PS1/PS2/PS3 all use the same vid cable jacks and the power cord works on all of them too (aside the PS2 slim power brick)

Now I'm wondering it's the same for PS4...that would be cool

I figured this was the case but I'm at work at the moment, so I can't check my cord bucket.

As for the PS4, I think it came with only HDMI this go around. If anyone would like to correct me being stupid, feel free. That is just what I recall.

Danny Dudekisser

If I could motivate myself to take my PS4 out of the box, I'd find out.

But I can't.

Though checking online suggests that they took component support out of the PS4.

kick51

Banned
those assholes. i like my barely perceptible slightly softer image quality from component!

If I could motivate myself to take my PS4 out of the box, I'd find out.

But I can't.

Though checking online suggests that they took component support out of the PS4.

don't feel bad, i have a wii u that I actually took out of the box

As promised, here is what PS1 games I still have. Unfortunately after lots of moving in my college days, the jewel cases are really worse for wear. It is a bit shameful I must say. Only one that I accidentally didn't get full in the picture is Parasite Eve to the top left.

jFduJ4y.jpg

Ntw632D.jpg

TnK

Strider 2 is based on an arcade release? Always thought that it only released on the PS1.

don't feel bad, i have a wii u that I actually took out of the box

You are not putting your Wii U to use? For shame.....
There at least 5 games that are great on the Wii U, and am honestly having more fun with the Wii U than any console in the PS3/360/Wii era.

@AdventureMike: A lot of RPGs in your collection.Awesome collection overall though.

@AdventureMike: A lot of RPGs in your collection.Awesome collection overall though.

Thanks! That's my jam man. I used to have a few others but I actually traded a guy a copy of Brave Fencer Musashi for a brand new dreamcast with a few games back in like 2002. Even this many years later I feel like I got the better deal. I'm not sure what I'd go for if I could find it PS1 wise. Probably colony wars to be quite honest. I rented that one from Blockbuster a lot in high school.

Hey all, I know not necessarily PS1 related but I wanted to thank the individuals in this thread that gave me the insight needed to make my PS2 playable again.
UVFYrIW.jpg

Ramune

Your quite welcome! I'm glad my post wasn't so pointless after all! (o ^ _^)b

Also for the purpose of this thread a reminder. Component cables will not work on a PS1. You can play PS1 games on a PS2 or PS3 via Component, but you will get no picture when hooked up to a PS1. Best you can do is go RGB for that console. /publicserviceannouncement

An nice collection you have ADVMike! Good variety and some classics too! Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever posted my collection here either. Maybe during the weekend or sometime!

Your quite welcome! I'm glad my post wasn't so pointless after all! (o ^ _^)b

Also for the purpose of this thread a reminder. Component cables will not work on a PS1. You can play PS1 games on a PS2 or PS3 via Component, but you will get no picture when hooked up to a PS1. Best you can do is go RGB for that console. /publicserviceannouncement

An nice collection you have ADVMike! Good variety and some classics too! Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever posted my collection here either. Maybe during the weekend or sometime!

Thanks again!

This thread has me waxing nostalgic and it is reminding me of a couple funny stories.

1) When purchasing it when it was new, never in a million years did I imagine "Hogs of War" would be one of the more valuable games in my collection.

2) You might notice I have a copy of Star Ocean: The second story in one of my pictures. I loved that game even before I bought it. I had been renting it for a bit and then finally pulled the trigger. However, while I was at Montgomery Ward's (yes, fucking Montgomery Ward's), in the game case next to it was Suikoden 2. You can see the option I went with. Fucking Sophie's Choice though.

IrishNinja

...so Gunner's Heaven really is that shameless Gunstar Heroes clone everybody says, huh

game's awesome though! if you're gonna steal, might as well be from the best

*edit god why can't i now find my old ass dex drive, fortunately ebay's not asking much for a replacement...prolly ordering that soon, then digging up the old CD burn i have with my save files archived!

hipgnosis

...so Gunner's Heaven really is that shameless Gunstar Heroes clone everybody says, huh

game's awesome though! if you're gonna steal, might as well be from the best

Yeah that game is really awesome and overlooked. It was also released in English in Europe by the name of Rapid Reload. It was a release title. Really well made 2D run 'n gun game. It's a shame people don't know this game.

Danny Dudekisser

Strider 2 is based on an arcade release? Always thought that it only released on the PS1.

Yeah, it was released on Capcom's ZN-1 or ZN-2 arcade hardware, which is based on the PS1. Basically a beefed up version of it. It was cool.

As for Gunner's Heaven, I always kinda wanted to play it. I know it's a blatant rip-off, but it looks like a good one.

I'm excited to say I will have a new addition to my collection come Saturday! (Assuming the UPS guy can make it through the frozen tundra that is Maryland right now).

TnK

Is it worth buying Strider 2 now? The thing is about $90...

I think when the new game gets released, prices will drop after a while, yeah?

EDIT: Wow, MegaMan Legends 1&2 are EXPENSIVE. I remember buying both games for $40 and they were in very good condition 5-6 years back.

Also, come to think of it, the US release of MML2 had nudity, and was uncensored, lol.

hipgnosis

I think when the new game gets released, prices will drop after a while, yeah?
Why would the price drop? If anything it will generate new interest towards the series (assuming the game is good). This could raise demand for the original games increasing prices as well.

Top Bottom