• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

^^ TnK I think you missed the boat on it. I like strider, but $90 is kinda ridiculous.

Why would the price drop? If anything it will generate new interest towards the series (assuming the game is good). This could raise demand for the original games increasing prices as well.
The retail disc of DH's Strider on PS3 has Strider 1 and 2 on it as well. I still don't see how that's going to lower the aftermaket value though.

Speaking of blatant ripoffs, isn't Panzer Bandit to Guardian Heroes what Rapid Reload is to Gunstar?

EDIT: Wow, MegaMan Legends 1&2 are EXPENSIVE. I remember buying both games for $40 and they were in very good condition 5-6 years back.

Also, come to think of it, the US release of MML2 had nudity, and was uncensored, lol.

Just looked too. Holy fuck farts man, what happened????

I've had my copy of Legends forever, so I've never looked, but I seem to recall seeing copies of MML2 not even too long ago for...not 250-ish dollars...

pikablu

My latest game I've been trying to track down is Digimon Card Battle. I recently found out about it and ofcourse its uncommon. Hopefully I'll find it in the wild soon. Ebay auctions are going too high for my cheap tastes.

Pikablu brings up a good point.

Collecting has really becoming much harder than it used to be. You'll notice in my collection pics above that I have a handful of games with yellow stickers on them. Those are price tags from EB Games that I used to pick games out of a bargain bin for cheap. I was going to college in San Francisco at the time (2004-late 2005ish) and my roommate and I could walk out every weekend and go bargain bin digging. You'll notice I found copies of Lunar: Silver Star Complete and Vanguard Bandits in there. Both selling for anywhere from 50-80ish dollars on ebay and yet I used to be able to grab them for 10. Great games mind you, but any collecting I used to do on PS1, SNES or PS2 games have become pretty prohibitively expensive as of late. SNES especially has really gotten out of hand now that it seems many have jumped on the bandwagon of collecting those.

It has gotten into the realm of comic book collectors when it comes to dealing with resellers too. There used to be mom and pop game shops hanging around where you'd get a decent price on things. Go to flea markets and what have you. Last one I went to in Delaware (my fiancee's family lives over that way) had a guy set up with his games next to Amish bakery stands. Looked very funny at first until I noticed he had gone the premium reseller route with his stuff. I was able to haggle down a copy of Dragon Warrior 4 on the NES with map and original hint book for ~50 dollars, but still. I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing people for knowing what they have. I'm just having an old man yelling at clouds moment lol :p

P.S. Kudos to that guy I bought from in Delaware. He actually unscrewed the game cartridge and deep cleaned it for me and was very professional. His prices were pretty insane on a lot of things, but he wasn't an ass.

kick51

Banned
Tron Bonne, MML1, and 2 actually seem to be down in price from what they were since they got boosted by the MML3 drama.

Pikablu brings up a good point.

Collecting has really becoming much harder than it used to be. You'll notice in my collection pics above that I have a handful of games with yellow stickers on them. Those are price tags from EB Games that I used to pick games out of a bargain bin for cheap. I was going to college in San Francisco at the time (2004-late 2005ish) and my roommate and I could walk out every weekend and go bargain bin digging. You'll notice I found copies of Lunar: Silver Star Complete and Vanguard Bandits in there. Both selling for anywhere from 50-80ish dollars on ebay and yet I used to be able to grab them for 10. Great games mind you, but any collecting I used to do on PS1, SNES or PS2 games have become pretty prohibitively expensive as of late. SNES especially has really gotten out of hand now that it seems many have jumped on the bandwagon of collecting those.

It has gotten into the realm of comic book collectors when it comes to dealing with resellers too. There used to be mom and pop game shops hanging around where you'd get a decent price on things. Go to flea markets and what have you. Last one I went to in Delaware (my fiancee's family lives over that way) had a guy set up with his games next to Amish bakery stands. Looked very funny at first until I noticed he had gone the premium reseller route with his stuff. I was able to haggle down a copy of Dragon Warrior 4 on the NES with map and original hint book for ~50 dollars, but still. I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing people for knowing what they have. I'm just having an old man yelling at clouds moment lol :p

P.S. Kudos to that guy I bought from in Delaware. He actually unscrewed the game cartridge and deep cleaned it for me and was very professional. His prices were pretty insane on a lot of things, but he wasn't an ass.

That Gamestop bargain bin value still happens sometimes, especially when they do B2G1. I know they sell one of the 3DS Rune Factory games way cheaper than it goes for online. Cave Story 3D is another one. And Nier is cheaper at GS than it typically goes online.

That Gamestop bargain bin value still happens sometimes, especially when they do B2G1. I know they sell one of the 3DS Rune Factory games way cheaper than it goes for online. Cave Story 3D is another one. And Nier is cheaper at GS than it typically goes online.

Absolutely and it really depends on your region too.

For instance, Gamestops in one part of Maryland got rid of all of their PS2 and PSP games a year or two ago. It was a corporate order for them to just pack them all up and send them back to warehouses. Yet, in Gaithersburg where I live now, one Gamestop nearby still has some of each. Usually nothing too rare, but I found copies of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and DA2 for the PS2 as recently as 6 months ago.

Also, when I visit my parents in South Carolina, they live in a small town of 1,100 old people in the rural northern portions. Drive 30 minutes southish to another small town named Greer that has a Gamestop, I have found PSP gems just hanging around because of distribution. The times to go to a Gamestop are A) when a brand new store is opening and B) in the aforementioned rural areas. When a new store opens, they get a mass shipment of a variety of games from a warehouse. You'll end up getting a mess of things that you never see at any other store there during those times. It's a gold mine. The rural stores are in a similar situation because they are not getting nearly as much traffic, so games arent getting bought/traded/whatever.

pikablu

Absolutely and it really depends on your region too.

For instance, Gamestops in one part of Maryland got rid of all of their PS2 and PSP games a year or two ago. It was a corporate order for them to just pack them all up and send them back to warehouses. Yet, in Gaithersburg where I live now, one Gamestop nearby still has some of each. Usually nothing too rare, but I found copies of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and DA2 for the PS2 as recently as 6 months ago.

Also, when I visit my parents in South Carolina, they live in a small town of 1,100 old people in the rural northern portions. Drive 30 minutes southish to another small town named Greer that has a Gamestop, I have found PSP gems just hanging around because of distribution. The times to go to a Gamestop are A) when a brand new store is opening and B) in the aforementioned rural areas. When a new store opens, they get a mass shipment of a variety of games from a warehouse. You'll end up getting a mess of things that you never see at any other store there during those times. It's a gold mine. The rural stores are in a similar situation because they are not getting nearly as much traffic, so games arent getting bought/traded/whatever.

You ever been to Video Game Cavern in Taylors? It's really close to Greer. Its a mom and pop video game store that is pretty damn decent. Prices are fair too often.

You ever been to Video Game Cavern in Taylors? It's really close to Greer. Its a mom and pop video game store that is pretty damn decent. Prices are fair too often.

No I'm afraid I haven't. I don't get down to my parents more than once a year or so. I simply don't have the time.

So, PSA:

If you have ever bought random indiscriminate amounts of games 10-ish years prior, GO THROUGH THEM.

In one of my previous pictures you can see "Marvel Super Heroes" sitting about lazily in a non-official jewelcase (one of those old EB games store-provided ones).

It wasn't until looking through it today did I discover both Armored Core and Saga Frontier 2 just hanging out under them. They're still in good condition, not scuffed up or anything. Man, that was an unexpected surprise.

cj_iwakura

Most of the unplayed PS1 games I grabbed during the system's death throes are long RPGs: Tales of Destiny, Arc Collection, Thousand Arms, etc. I don't have THAT many I haven't played, thankfully.

Small pickups this weekend:

EmSgWCf.jpg

Never finised Parasite Eve or played any of part two, have them both now so gonna have to check them out.

kaiju

Been on a PS1 collecting binge lately. Disruptor is fucking awesome. Steel Harbinger's live action FMV scenes are hilarious, holy shit. Haven't tried out the others yet. More to come in the following days/weeks.

lot038_zpsb8d2a74a.jpg

lot037_zps13fa1147.jpg

lot036_zpsabcf0748.jpg

lot039_zpsa0b59c02.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Having just finished Bravely Default, I kinda want to pick up some PS1 era RPGs. Game was great, but man... there really is nothing that compares to the top-tier PS1 RPGs.

Teknoman

And its by Insomniac? I think I need to try this. Speaking of 32bit fps, how was Po'ed? I remember renting it...but thats about it.

Danny Dudekisser

And its by Insomniac? I think I need to try this. Speaking of 32bit fps, how was Po'ed? I remember renting it...but thats about it.

PO'ed was dumb. I thought it looked cool when I was 8 years old, back in 1996, but when I actually tried it years later, it wasn't a very well-made game. Shoddy level design, boring combat, etc.

Disruptor was really cool at the time, but I have no idea how that's aged.

kick51

Banned
i had quite the difficult time figuring out how to pronounce that game's name, PO'ed. A babbage's clerk prob set me straight on that.

Caved in and ordered my two ntsc-j holy grails -- Zanac x Zanac and Adventures of Little Ralph. I had em on PSN, but I suddenly started to get annoyed by the input lag on PS1 classics and now I can't get over it.

Danny Dudekisser

i had quite the difficult time figuring out how to pronounce that game's name, PO'ed. A babbage's clerk prob set me straight on that.

Caved in and ordered my two ntsc-j holy grails -- Zanac x Zanac and Adventures of Little Ralph. I had em on PSN, but I suddenly started to get annoyed by the input lag on PS1 classics and now I can't get over it.

Shit, dude. I want both of those :(

Good choices.

kick51

Banned
zanac neo is zanac on crack

the prices on those games are not too bad if you camp out on them. When there are none up for auction, people will just list BINs for $100+. but my copy of Zanac came out to $73 shipped. I did a BIN for little ralph so i had to pay around $100, but completed auctions show them going for less (Including one at ~$20, someone got ridiculously lucky there)

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I have some PSX RPGs that I currently have on PSN and thus no longer need.I have Wild Arms 2, FF8, Xenogears, Dragon Quest 4 (JP), Parasite Eve. All black label. PM me if interested.

Got some brand new cases for all my games, 'cause I'm fucking crazy like that. No more scratched to fuck or cracked cases for me.

I also noticed some odd shit about the Final Fantasy games. I'm sure most of you have noticed, but it was new to me. They changed the discs for the greatest hits versions so they don't have the characters on them:

The weird thing about Eight is that those are both greatest hits versions. The Nine with the plain discs is Greatest Hits, with the characters is black label.

Also, my weird FFVII:

Both greatest hits but one has a black label front instead of both being Green. Weird.

Hero, where did you get your replacement cases at? Did you just do fresh generic jewel cases?

I've been considering investing in replacements for all of mine. They haven't survived well over the years due to lots of traveling between college and home (Live in Maryland, went to school in California during those days).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Got some brand new cases for all my games, 'cause I'm fucking crazy like that. No more scratched to fuck or cracked cases for me.

I also noticed some odd shit about the Final Fantasy games. I'm sure most of you have noticed, but it was new to me. They changed the discs for the greatest hits versions so they don't have the characters on them:

The weird thing about Eight is that those are both greatest hits versions. The Nine with the plain discs is Greatest Hits, with the characters is black label.

Also, my weird FFVII:

Both greatest hits but one has a black label front instead of both being Green. Weird.

The previous owner cobbled together pieces from original and GH, no doubt.

TnK

They sell jewel cases in Amazon? I have a bunch of PSX games that could use some jewel case fixing here and there.

Also, it makes buying stuff of off ebay easier. One can buy an average condition game, and simply replace the case with a better one.

Mahonay

Banned
First new PS1 title in a few months, 2.99 at a local store. They had a few other big box games that Ive passed on for now. Just some sticker residue on it, but the contents are awesome.

Jz2nNKf.jpg
Man, that brings back memories. I loved the shit out of that game. It had what seemed like an advanced damage model at the time, and having that number of cars all driving into each other at once, it all was intensely satisfying to play. Those early PlayStation games always make me tingly. As a 9-10 year old it all seemed insanely cutting edge.

One of these days I might pick up a PS One. There are a lot of games I need to go back to that I haven't played since they first came out. The downside will be those found memories being tarnished when I realize how terrible some of the controls were, and how awful most of the games looked. I had that moment when I played some Fighting Force with a friend at PAX East last year. It seemed so much worse than how I remembered it. Although once I adjusted to the initial shock I had a lot of fun with it.

sfedai0

Banned
Man, that brings back memories. I loved the shit out of that game. It had what seemed like an advanced damage model at the time, and having that number of cars all driving into each other at once, it all was intensely satisfying to play. Those early PlayStation games always make me tingly. As a 9-10 year old it all seemed insanely cutting edge.

One of these days I might pick up a PS One. There are a lot of games I need to go back to that I haven't played since they first came out. The downside will be those found memories being tarnished when I realize how terrible some of the controls were, and how awful most of the games looked. I had that moment when I played some Fighting Force with a friend at PAX East last year. It seemed so much worse than how I remembered it. Although once I adjusted to the initial shock I had a lot of fun with it.

Nostalgia can come with rose tinted glasses. Its why pretty much all my retro game purchases are RPG's. They stand the test of time far better than other genres. I jst got Fear Effect 2 and the controls and visuals were really hard to swallow.

Hero, where did you get your replacement cases at? Did you just do fresh generic jewel cases?

I've been considering investing in replacements for all of mine. They haven't survived well over the years due to lots of traveling between college and home (Live in Maryland, went to school in California during those days).

Got these. They don't fit on multi-disc cases though. The top of them reaches out further than the standard Final Fantasy cases so they don't close. Sucks 'cause my FFVII has a big ol' crack in the front.

The previous owner cobbled together pieces from original and GH, no doubt.

This was my only guess. But, it was from my brother in law who has had it since we were young. Maybe his parents bought it for him from a pawn shop? Have to search eBay and see if I see any others like it.

Strider 2 shot up to 90+? Holy fuck, prices averaged around $60-65 a few months ago.

Might as well get a complete copy while I still can, I guess.

IrishNinja

wouldn't it be better to wait till the new Strider hype dies down & prices level off? i imagine NES Ducktales spiked last year too

TnK

Strider 2 shot up to 90+? Holy fuck, prices averaged around $60-65 a few months ago.

Might as well get a complete copy while I still can, I guess.

I mentioned the same exact thing a while back. Prices are crazy. If you do manage to get the game, do mention your impressions of the game.

kick51

Banned
i wonder how the psn versions of strider are. Seems like they haven't put it up on the japanese PSN for individual sale yet

Top Bottom