• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Credo

Speaking of new PS1 cases, does anyone know where I could buy a replacement case that holds 2 discs but is the size of a normal jewel case, not the thicker cases that a lot of the PS1 RPGs came in?

This was my only guess. But, it was from my brother in law who has had it since we were young. Maybe his parents bought it for him from a pawn shop? Have to search eBay and see if I see any others like it.

I was going to say the same thing he said. This is something that was randomly common on ebay, swapping out one side if you have an incomplete/unsellable normal version so that in pictures it looks like a non GH version. What do the disks look like as well? As in do they the white top, or are they just reflective? The non greatest hits ones are white. Don't think 7 had the "GH" at the end of the disk code like the GH versions for some other games do.

The non GH version of FF8 looks like a mix between the 2 you have, white background with the character faces.

wouldn't it be better to wait till the new Strider hype dies down & prices level off? i imagine NES Ducktales spiked last year too

Yeah, Ducktales spiked from around $11 to $20 when the remake was announced. The price is somewhere in the middle now.

I mentioned the same exact thing a while back. Prices are crazy. If you do manage to get the game, do mention your impressions of the game.

I already have it, but the disc for Strider 1 is scratched to high hell, and I'm missing the case and manual, so I wanted to snag a complete copy.

Fun, arcadey game that really shines when trying to complete it with as few credits used as possible, though.

Zok310

Banned
Don't know what my childhood would have been without PS.
It's be 20 years now since I bought my first PS.
Can't believe I am so old that I can say that and actually remember it.

kaiju

Shit I had Strider 2 at one point but sold it for some unknown reason a few years back. Loved the Strider 1 port, but I've never been that impressed with the sequel.

IrishNinja

thanks to bapho's chipped PSX, finally explored more of the JP library: LSD, some more Tobal 2 (in english!), revisited Xenogears 2.0, Vib Ribbon, Rakugaki Showtime, Adventures of Little Ralph & Harmful Park...wow, there was some really crazy shit going on during this era that we barely saw.

and considering we got Lammy, Incredible Crisis & many others, that's saying something. what a gen.

ultra7k

ahh this thread brings back some great gaming memories, feels like yesterday I was rushing home from school to play these. Kind of makes me want to go hunting for some of the older games I used to have, but eventually sold/traded.

Lol looks like I'm not the only one to have found the Strider 2 price hike it seems.

Also noticed Casltevania Chronicles bumped up a bit to average of $60....wtf is with this artificial inflation, I just bought it complete for less than half maybe two months ago.

Ramune

Strider 2 was so hard to find during it's release for me. I was limited to taking the bus to get around back then, so my options weren't that great. But between Toys R Us, Funcoland and EB, none of them had it. Did it have a limited print run? It's no wonder prices are jacked if that's the case.

IrishNinja

i remember i had it preordered at EB, and i think i called them about the disc mislabeling at some point? but yeah, i didn't see it much after that, come to think of it...might've had a low print run

kick51

Banned
i'm prob gonna get rid of my mint copy of strider 2 in the b/s/t thread, adding it next time i bump my list. i don't really play it ever. price will be unfair, but more fair than ebay/amazon

Teknoman

Hmm...and here I was thinking I might have paid abit much for both Strider discs + manual for 50 bucks.Dunno why I had to wait until the new title release...but I guess that happens when you think too long about purchases. Better have both discs too. I finally got Xenogears, and for a good price, but the seller said it came with the guide.

It didnt. They gave 15% of the price back though, so I guess its not bad.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I got some fresh buys from ye olde Ebay to show off, as well as one I happened to find in the closet.

bGDN9d2.jpg

ck8amBe.jpg

Got some more coming in the next week or so.

Some nice pickups there! I haven't played Colony Wars but I've heard very good things about it... plus Psygnosis in that era was on a roll...

Arc 2 is fantastic, and cj_iwakura you really need to crack open your copy! One of my favorites from the PS1 era. It's got its share of flaws (like, a super high miss-rate and some obnoxious difficulty spikes) but damn is it not one of the most epic and satisfying RPG experiences ever. Though I recommend playing Arc 1 first, since 2 is much more of a 'continuation' than a separate game. Arc 1 is a short (12 hour long) game, and it's not bad, but it's not a patch on its sequel.

You can probably skip 3, I didn't particularly care for it, and got bored after 10 or so hours. Didn't like the characters, the graphics (sprites on ugly polygons instead of the strictly 2D first 2 games), or the game progression (lots of extra-wordy dialogue and go to fight some boring battles with a much smaller party than 1 or 2).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I never gave Arc 2 a fair chance. Wasn't in the mood to play it at the time, and I eventually sold it. Always kinda regretted it, cuz just about everyone who has played through it has really enjoyed it.

I did think Arc 1 was solid, though. A bit simplistic, but very enjoyable.

As I recall, the Japanese ad for Arc the Lad 2 basically just said "Arc the Lad 2 is not Arc the Lad." Kinda hilarious how thoroughly the series changed gears.

TnK

Lol looks like I'm not the only one to have found the Strider 2 price hike it seems.

Also noticed Casltevania Chronicles bumped up a bit to average of $60....wtf is with this artificial inflation, I just bought it complete for less than half maybe two months ago.

It was for $30 before? I recently bought it for $45....

kick51

Banned
anyone played:
--Galerians
--Countdown Vampires

and have an opinion on them?

galerians is on the way. youtube vids put me off of a Countdown Vampires impulse buy though.

cj_iwakura

Some nice pickups there! I haven't played Colony Wars but I've heard very good things about it... plus Psygnosis in that era was on a roll...

Arc 2 is fantastic, and cj_iwakura you really need to crack open your copy! One of my favorites from the PS1 era. It's got its share of flaws (like, a super high miss-rate and some obnoxious difficulty spikes) but damn is it not one of the most epic and satisfying RPG experiences ever. Though I recommend playing Arc 1 first, since 2 is much more of a 'continuation' than a separate game. Arc 1 is a short (12 hour long) game, and it's not bad, but it's not a patch on its sequel.

You can probably skip 3, I didn't particularly care for it, and got bored after 10 or so hours. Didn't like the characters, the graphics (sprites on ugly polygons instead of the strictly 2D first 2 games), or the game progression (lots of extra-wordy dialogue and go to fight some boring battles with a much smaller party than 1 or 2).

Don't worry, I always play games in order. I'll consider it once Xillia and Grandia Xtreme are off my plate, but there's other new games I've neglected too... (Namely Valkyria Chronicles)

Danny Dudekisser

anyone played:
--Galerians
--Countdown Vampires

galerians is on the way. youtube vids put me off of a Countdown Vampires impulse buy though.

Never played the original Galerians. Countdown Vampires was bad, though. It was one of those things I thought was cool at the time, because I'd just discovered Vampire Hunter D and was like "Japanese vampires are cool." And they are cool. But that doesn't make a thoroughly busted game any good.

That said, the intro movie is the most incredible thing I've ever seen.

Edit: here it is. It is as spectacular as I remember. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajst3lvDeYg

Mzo

Strider 2 was so hard to find during it's release for me. I was limited to taking the bus to get around back then, so my options weren't that great. But between Toys R Us, Funcoland and EB, none of them had it. Did it have a limited print run? It's no wonder prices are jacked if that's the case.

i remember i had it preordered at EB, and i think i called them about the disc mislabeling at some point? but yeah, i didn't see it much after that, come to think of it...might've had a low print run

I also had it pre-ordered at EB, and it was the only copy they got IIRC. The first print run had an error where Strider 1 was on the Strider 2 disc and vice-versa... it never got fixed because there wasn't a 2nd print run.

Went to a garage sale thing outside of a big, local comics store (Tate's Comics) and snagged some great deals. Got black label Spyro 1, 2, 3 and Syphon Filter 3 for $1 a piece.

The sale started at 9 so that means get there before 8. I got there around 8 on the dot and people were already picking through stuff as the vendors were still unloading. Asked a guy who had a couple of 360 games out if he had older stuff and he handed me a box of PS games that had still been in his car... excellent. As my friend and I are kneeling on the ground sorting through it some asshole reseller keeps bumping into us trying to look inside and offers the vendor $35 for the entire box as we are still literally holding what we plan to buy in our hands. The vendor told him "You can have whatever is left when they're done," which was very cool of him, and he stuck to the dollar a game offer he initially made which was even cooler.

As we're walking away the reseller runs up behind us and asks us to sell him the games. I said "We haven't even played them yet!" He says "I'm not talking to you" and turns to my friend, who is holding the games *I* just bought. Of course he laughs and says no, but holy shit what an asshole D=

Fhtagn

Wow, I can't believe Strider is $90 now! Makes sense though. I remember being very confused at first by the swapped disc art, but they were pretty fun.

I was surprised how easily I picked up King's Field, King's Field 2, Shadow Tower and King's Field: The Ancient City (ps2) a few years ago; I think I spent no more than $20 each on any of them, and while I have no idea what their print runs were, considering how badly reviewed they were, I wouldn't expect they sold a lot and demand had to spike post-Dark Souls. I'm glad they were within what I was willing to play as after I got used to the weird pre-dual analog controls, it turned out they were amazing! I haven't finished King's Field 2 or Shadow Tower yet... going to savor those.

I even picked up the strategy guides for the KF games. They were all fairly cheap in mildly beaten up but still worthwhile condition. I kinda want to try to track down the official guide for KF 2 that was "not sold in stores!" but I imagine those are hella rare. I did get the "totally unauthorized!" guide that's easily found on ebay or amazon.

kick51

Banned
Never played the original Galerians. Countdown Vampires was bad, though. It was one of those things I thought was cool at the time, because I'd just discovered Vampire Hunter D and was like "Japanese vampires are cool." And they are cool. But that doesn't make a thoroughly busted game any good.

That said, the intro movie is the most incredible thing I've ever seen.

Edit: here it is. It is as spectacular as I remember. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajst3lvDeYg

"What the heck is gonna to happen?!"

some youtube comments on another vid say he doesn't ever put a coat back on, just goes topless the whole game

Got another dump of pick ups!

Some I got from Ebay, others I found at a game store (called Save Point) in Westminster, MD. Pretty decent price on everything. I still have not paid over 45 dollars for a single game in these new collection pics yet. They had a copy of Suikoden 2 for $100-ish dollars while I was there but I didn't want to drop the green while I was already picking up Kings Field, Gauntlet, Vandal Hearts and Yu-Gi-Oh! (19 dollars, 9 dollars, 21.99 and 12.99 respectively). I have never played that particular Yu-Gi-Oh but I used to have a ton of fun with the GBA game AND it might not come out in the picture but the entire front and back cover are FOIL!!! I saw two copies there, one foil and one not and I was sold. That shit looks straight up like the old Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon cards. The copies of FFVII and IX at the bottom I got from a store in Williamsport, MD (called Time Warp). They are their own specially made boxes and I got both for below 30 dollars total. The next two pics illustrate a fun typo that made me double-take when I was there looking at the shelves.

Only thing I'm bummed about is Time Warp had a copy of Donkey Kong Country (SNES) competition catridge from the Blockbuster competition that came and went within an hour before I could drive over there! I live a little over an hour away.

My dog insisted on getting in the picture with my games.

Edit: I think I might go ahead and get that Suikoden 2 if they still have it. I'm regretting not grabbing it when I did.

kaiju

anyone played:
--Galerians
--Countdown Vampires

I haven't played either, but I bought Countdown Vampires last week and will post my impressions when it arrives. I also want to get Galerians at some point.

Latest arrivals:

Can't say I remember much about Evil Zone, I owned it back in the day but traded it in at one point. Have heard a lot of hype about it over the years though. Never beat Soul Reaver...it's time. Juggernaut is just plain strange. Hybrid looks interesting. It's an FPS Doom clone that I believe was only released in the UK. You can choose from four different characters, each with their own abilities.

lot056_zps19d0332d.jpg

lot054_zps56275d14.jpg

lot057_zps46a69183.jpg

ea272bb4-f009-41f2-95ee-efa7c828aa0e_zps1a2cf850.jpg

Hybrid Screenshot

Hybrid_PSX_287.png

Got another dump of pick ups!

Some I got from Ebay, others I found at a game store (called Save Point) in Westminster, MD. Pretty decent price on everything. I still have not paid over 45 dollars for a single game in these new collection pics yet. They had a copy of Suikoden 2 for $100-ish dollars while I was there but I didn't want to drop the green while I was already picking up Kings Field, Gauntlet, Vandal Hearts and Yu-Gi-Oh! (19 dollars, 9 dollars, 21.99 and 12.99 respectively). I have never played that particular Yu-Gi-Oh but I used to have a ton of fun with the GBA game AND it might not come out in the picture but the entire front and back cover are FOIL!!! I saw two copies there, one foil and one not and I was sold. That shit looks straight up like the old Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon cards. The copies of FFVII and IX at the bottom I got from a store in Williamsport, MD (called Time Warp). They are their own specially made boxes and I got both for below 30 dollars total. The next two pics illustrate a fun typo that made me double-take when I was there looking at the shelves.

Only thing I'm bummed about is Time Warp had a copy of Donkey Kong Country (SNES) competition catridge from the Blockbuster competition that came and went within an hour before I could drive over there! I live a little over an hour away.

My dog insisted on getting in the picture with my games.

Edit: I think I might go ahead and get that Suikoden 2 if they still have it. I'm regretting not grabbing it when I did.
FFXI must look pretty rough on a PS1!

Danny Dudekisser

Can't say I remember much about Evil Zone, I owned it back in the day but traded it in at one point. Have heard a lot of hype about it over the years though. Never beat Soul Reaver...it's time. Juggernaut is just plain strange. Hybrid looks interesting. It's an FPS Doom clone that I believe was only released in the UK. You can choose from four different characters, each with their own abilities.

Evil Zone was pretty fun. I played the Japanese version, which was called Eretzvaju or something weird like that. I recall the US version being censored, but I don't know exactly what the changes were. But yeah, cool game overall.

Teknoman

The heck is Juggernaut?

EDIT: Even though I need a new case and both discs have scratches, they work!

ibjVXwbqIrzhmU.jpg

iXQQuRbsBwRAk.jpg

Kind of a shock that Strider 2 was 30 fps though. That and i'm used to seeing Strider's MvC sprite when displayed accurately. Both are pretty fun, but you really do have to crank the difficulty on Strider 2. Also how did the discs get misprinted anyway?

kaiju

The heck is Juggernaut?

EDIT: Even though I need a new case and both discs have scratches, they work!

Nice copy of Strider 2 there.

Juggernaut is like a whacked out version of Myst, where you must save your girlfriend after an evil spirit in the antique bottle you gave her possessed her soul. Aided by a priest, you must enter her mind and solve a bunch of puzzles in an attempt to save her.

Real trippy game, although I've heard it can become boring as hell during some of the drawn out puzzle sequences.

IrishNinja

some nice pickups guys! i love Strider 2 but yeah, can't co-sign it at current prices.
picked up Tekken 3 & a loose MM 8 for $5 each today, that was cool. then some dude left Alundra at my house or whatever

As my friend and I are kneeling on the ground sorting through it some asshole reseller keeps bumping into us trying to look inside and offers the vendor $35 for the entire box as we are still literally holding what we plan to buy in our hands. The vendor told him "You can have whatever is left when they're done," which was very cool of him, and he stuck to the dollar a game offer he initially made which was even cooler.

As we're walking away the reseller runs up behind us and asks us to sell him the games. I said "We haven't even played them yet!" He says "I'm not talking to you" and turns to my friend, who is holding the games *I* just bought. Of course he laughs and says no, but holy shit what an asshole D=

ahahaha this is my favorite part of that event, and that's saying a lot since bish finally got a dreamcast 15 years later. just warms my heart, like i hope the box had 3 copies of Nascar '98 (greatest hits) or some shit when he got to it.

Teknoman

I've seen some older tips about polishing discs with a small bit of brasso can also help buff out scratches. I've got a copy of Skullmonkeys that has some scratches on the back, and some music tracks sound slightly choppy...so i'm trying to figure out the best way to go about fixing it.

I've also seen some info here and there that skip doctors dont work on playstation discs? Not sure how thats possible.

I've seen some older tips about polishing discs with a small bit of brasso can also help buff out scratches. I've got a copy of Skullmonkeys that has some scratches on the back, and some music tracks sound slightly choppy...so i'm trying to figure out the best way to go about fixing it.

I've also seen some info here and there that skip doctors dont work on playstation discs? Not sure how thats possible.

Can test it on some really cheap throwaway disk if you want. You don't have any enthusiast shops around you that have a disk resurfacing machine though?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Can test it on some really cheap throwaway disk if you want. You don't have any enthusiast shops around you that have a disk resurfacing machine though?

Yes. Please go to a professional disc resurfacer. You might end up with a game that looks brand new.

Disc doctors grind the bottom of the discs and it looks like shit, if it works at all.

Danny Dudekisser

I had a scratched disc where the music sometimes skipped, and skip doctoring it did nothing to fix it. Obviously, I can't say it never works, but it didn't work for me :(. I've had hella success with ps2 games, though.

BocoDragon

I had a scratched disc where the music sometimes skipped, and skip doctoring it did nothing to fix it. Obviously, I can't say it never works, but it didn't work for me :(. I've had hella success with ps2 games, though.

They should work on any optical disc for any console (not sure about blu-ray... they don't scratch easily though). But if your scratch is deep, you can only grind off so much of the disc to fix it :/

But please get them professionally resurfaced... those things are like magic.

Teknoman

Yes. Please go to a professional disc resurfacer. You might end up with a game that looks brand new.

Disc doctors grind the bottom of the discs and it looks like shit, if it works at all.

Last time I had this problem was with Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer on Turbo CD. Took it to a local small game store (3D Games) and they had one of these:

and worked perfectly afterwards. Only problem now is that I think they've moved.

BocoDragon

Yeah I wouldn't know where to go these days for one either... the last one I used was a Blockbuster 2 years ago :/

Last time I had this problem was with Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer on Turbo CD. Took it to a local small game store (3D Games) and they had one of these:

and worked perfectly afterwards. Only problem now is that I think they've moved.

I'd check for any other local stores, that sell movies, cds and/or games. A few of mine use buffing wheels, but one place does have one of those machines so I go there.

kick51

Banned
Yeah, but I totally didn't get aroused.

his tribal tattoos show that he is strong rebel but also believe in great justice for demon evil

I need a CRT and the millions that used to be around here are gone! people just said "fuck it we're not taking those anymore" :(

searching craigslist seems tough since no one puts "CRT" in the title, and "TV" just brings up all those unwanted Olevia and Dynex LCDs from 2006

his tribal tattoos show that he is strong rebel but also believe in great justice for demon evil

I need a CRT and the millions that used to be around here are gone! people just said "fuck it we're not taking those anymore" :(

searching craigslist seems tough since no one puts "CRT" in the title, and "TV" just brings up all those unwanted Olevia and Dynex LCDs from 2006

Try "Trinitron" since it is the end models of that that seem to be really good if you aren't dedicated enough to go PVM/BVM. Get a boat load of results when going for that. Just make sure to check for inputs.

They never show up when you're looking for one. Just search for Sony in the free and electronics section and sift through for the Trinitrons.

Fusebox

Banned
Anyone else play Evil Zone?

This is the cover of the version I had, can't find a better pic than this one:

3in1bestgamesvol2.jpg

Very stylised anime-themed 3D fighter which had some terrific characters and OTT attacks.

brqf8.jpg

I always liked that guy in the suit who never took one hand out of his pocket:

eretzvaju_790screen002.jpg

kick51

Banned
Try "Trinitron" since it is the end models of that that seem to be really good if you aren't dedicated enough to go PVM/BVM. Get a boat load of results when going for that. Just make sure to check for inputs.

I'd love one but all the ones in my area are 32"+

I need something in the high teens/low 20s. A broadcast monitor would be nice, but wouldn't I have to mod everything for RGB output? they don't seem to have normal connections.

I need something in the high teens/low 20s. A broadcast monitor would be nice, but wouldn't I have to mod everything for RGB output? they don't seem to have normal connections.

Master System, Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo, Saturn, and PS1 support RGB without modding anything. You will need something to convert the RGB connector to BNC plugs for those PVMs and BVMs

Master System, Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo, Saturn, and PS1 support RGB without modding anything. You will need something to convert the RGB connector to BNC plugs for those PVMs and BVMs

This cable is what you'll need if you go the PVM with RGB route. I have a PV-M20M2MDU that I use with my retro consoles and its fantastic. And if you need to hook up composite you can always just get some BNC adapters for pretty cheap, as well.

Top Bottom