• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Pretty happy about finding this beauty today.

SA42PSml.jpg

Fhtagn

Oh my god, I would flip. I have the other one for KF 2 but that one was mail order only and is seemingly very hard to come by. Or I'm not looking hard enough. Damn, congrats.

sn00zer

The heck is Juggernaut?

EDIT: Even though I need a new case and both discs have scratches, they work!

ibjVXwbqIrzhmU.jpg

iXQQuRbsBwRAk.jpg

Kind of a shock that Strider 2 was 30 fps though. That and i'm used to seeing Strider's MvC sprite when displayed accurately. Both are pretty fun, but you really do have to crank the difficulty on Strider 2. Also how did the discs get misprinted anyway?
Dude....... Strider 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Strider 1
Im always weirded out when 2 gets completely ignored and I find it better in just about every way

Oh my god, I would flip. I have the other one for KF 2 but that one was mail order only and is seemingly very hard to come by. Or I'm not looking hard enough. Damn, congrats.

I nearly did! But thank you, I've been looking for this thing for a looooong time. I decided to stop by Half Price Books on a whim and there it was, upside down in the guides section for $5.

Almost makes up for missing out on the restock of the ToS CE. :(

kick51

Banned
Master System, Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo, Saturn, and PS1 support RGB without modding anything. You will need something to convert the RGB connector to BNC plugs for those PVMs and BVMs

This cable is what you'll need if you go the PVM with RGB route. I have a PV-M20M2MDU that I use with my retro consoles and its fantastic. And if you need to hook up composite you can always just get some BNC adapters for pretty cheap, as well.

found one of these for $8 at Savers today:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00021XQI0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

it's definitely not perfect-- has a component hook up, but no S-vid for my PS1...weird, some warped sides + off center picture, which I was warned would be the case with a flat screen crt, but damn it's good to be back.

Seriously I drove to like 10 different goodwills, salvation armies, pawn shops, etc. today and none of them had CRTs for shit. I'm guessing people either got rid of them or these places stopped taking them. I was on my way home when I remembered one last saver store on the way. They had a couple nice ones, but this was the best weight, size, and had component inputs. I glanced and thought "oh, it's got component, s-vid is probably there" but nope. Unfortunately need the PS1 hooked up for speedrunning some games that don't run quite as well on PS2.

but now everything is set up and it's very nice! my ps2, xbox, genesis, ps1, and NES.

IrishNinja

old buddy of mine came by with FF VII - XIII and offered em $10 each, non greatest hits. i kept VII & VIII, holding IX for a friend but i've got his X, XII & XIII to sell for him, plus a loosey of X-2 and the GH ones i had that i replaced, haha. it was a great day! i just wish he went after the other square ones, still need to buy back legend of mana & a case for einhander.

it's definitely not perfect-- has a component hook up, but no S-vid for my PS1...weird, some warped sides + off center picture, which I was warned would be the case with a flat screen crt, but damn it's good to be back.

Seriously I drove to like 10 different goodwills, salvation armies, pawn shops, etc. today and none of them had CRTs for shit. I'm guessing people either got rid of them or these places stopped taking them. I was on my way home when I remembered one last saver store on the way. They had a couple nice ones, but this was the best weight, size, and had component inputs. I glanced and thought "oh, it's got component, s-vid is probably there" but nope. Unfortunately need the PS1 hooked up for speedrunning some games that don't run quite as well on PS2.

but now everything is set up and it's very nice! my ps2, xbox, genesis, ps1, and NES.
Get an RGB to component transcoder for best picture quality. You won't miss S-video at all for PS1, and the Genesis stuff will look miles better than composhit.

kick51

Banned
tobal is cheap, there is one on amazon complete used with prime shipping for about $14 right now

Get an RGB to component transcoder for best picture quality. You won't miss S-video at all for PS1, and the Genesis stuff will look miles better than composhit.

will do!

man, it is so nice. tobal controls like a dream on CRT! I started playing it on PS3 on my plasma and then went ps2, ps1, and now ps1 on crt. i can feel the difference!

old buddy of mine came by with FF VII - XIII and offered em $10 each, non greatest hits. i kept VII & VIII, holding IX for a friend but i've got his X, XII & XIII to sell for him, plus a loosey of X-2 and the GH ones i had that i replaced, haha. it was a great day! i just wish he went after the other square ones, still need to buy back legend of mana & a case for einhander.

ugh, Einhander is one of the few more expensive games that I still need. I've held out hoping that I'd find a cheap copy in the wild but man I've been looking for that for a while now. I run into Ehrgeiz on a regular basis though, go figure.

is there a particular brand of transcoder i should look for?
This one is easily available and has decent reviews

ugh, Einhander is one of the few more expensive games that I still need. I've held out hoping that I'd find a cheap copy in the wild but man I've been looking for that for a while now. I run into Ehrgeiz on a regular basis though, go figure.

Einhander might be one you want to track down the JP version for. Language is inessantial and it's way cheaper.

Much cooler box art too, haha.

IrishNinja

There's a buy it now for $10.43 with free shipping on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151242518006

missing FF VII demo disc...ugh
i'd love to trade some of this stuff for a complete copy of that though! or at least find it onna cheap, looks like $15 is at low as it goes right now though

sucks, right? i have the disc & manual, just need the case. it's like the manual for suikoden 1 or 2; when it goes up people want a chunk of what a complete copy goes for & shit's just not worth it, it's silly. i might as well find a loose jewel case and print out the inserts for now.

I'll post my recent pick ups later, but just for update:

Ended up getting that copy of Suikoden 2 for $115. Didn't have a manual but the game is in great condition.

kick51

Banned
about the only thing HPB is good for these days are guides that they screwed up on pricing!

/pissed about seeing a $20 used copy of Capcom Classics Collection for PS2 yesterday

woodypop

^Yup, it's like they just check Ebay Buy It Now prices for their games now. I used to get so much stuff from them, back in the day when bargains were better. I realize they probably took a bath on some of their pricing, but it seems they've swung too far in the opposite direction now.

kick51

Banned
^Yup, it's like they just check Ebay Buy It Now prices for their games now. I used to get so much stuff from them, back in the day when bargains were better. I realize they probably took a bath on some of their pricing, but it seems they've swung too far in the opposite direction now.

they could just price a couple bucks under ebay and I'd buy so much!

I tried bringing it up once and was told it was because people would just resell their stuff. these are like "Ubisoft drm" levels of biting themselves in the ass.

Oh nice find! When I was shopping for my CRT I ended up just going to eBay. Payed a bit more than I probably should have but it has definitely been worth it. I have a PS1 but I'm pretty sure it's busted so I just rely on my PS2. Too bad that Tomba! doesn't work on it, though, that game is great.

they could just price a couple bucks under ebay and I'd buy so much!

I tried bringing it up once and was told it was because people would just resell their stuff. these are like "Ubisoft drm" levels of biting themselves in the ass.

One of the reasons ebay prices are high is because ebay/paypal gets like 11% of the sale, right? In some respect they're charging more than a reseller would make. I suppose HPB has a staff, utilities, and rent to pay too though, lol.

GrayFoxPL

Finished Soul Reaver PS1.

Woah what a game. Hard as nails. Confusing as fuck to the point of trolling. "At the Northwest you'll find.." "Wait! Stop! Where's the fucking north or west? A. Game doesn't have a compass. B. Nor a map." Lulz.

Badass atmosphere, art style, story and voice acting. So good.

Tayaya

Anyone else play Evil Zone?

This is the cover of the version I had, can't find a better pic than this one:

3in1bestgamesvol2.jpg

Very stylised anime-themed 3D fighter which had some terrific characters and OTT attacks.

brqf8.jpg

I always liked that guy in the suit who never took one hand out of his pocket:

eretzvaju_790screen002.jpg

Fuck yeah! I forgot all about that game. I used to have the import version - Eretzvaju I believe it was called. It was really excellent for its time, and we played the hell out of it. I sold it to a friend back in the day, and I regret it because nowadays I love collecting all these weird niche fighting games like Advanced V.G. 2, Asuka 120%, Arcana Heart, etc.

I didn't know they made a US version - I may have to find that.

Fusebox

Banned
What kind of ghetto ass game cover is that

I reckon that between-the-legs camera angle cover is way better than the standard cover:

Evil-Zone-Pal.jpg

Unless you're referring to that whole 3-in-1 pic and thinking that was the cover for some reason (which is possible, I didn't really clarify that in my original post)

Yeah, glad I still have a copy. Evil Zone is my personal top favorite PS1 game. Loved the story mode and still play it from time to time.

Plus Jon St. John (Duke Nukem) voiced the Gavan homage/superhero character.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0820652/

Fuck yeah! I forgot all about that game. I used to have the import version - Eretzvaju I believe it was called. It was really excellent for its time, and we played the hell out of it. I sold it to a friend back in the day, and I regret it because nowadays I love collecting all these weird niche fighting games like Advanced V.G. 2, Asuka 120%, Arcana Heart, etc.

I didn't know they made a US version - I may have to find that.

Nice, wish you guys lived nearby we could have an Evil Zone nostalgia tournament.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Finished Soul Reaver PS1.

Woah what a game. Hard as nails. Confusing as fuck to the point of trolling. "At the Northwest you'll find.." "Wait! Stop! Where's the fucking north or west? A. Game doesn't have a compass. B. Nor a map." Lulz.

Badass atmosphere, art style, story and voice acting. So good.
Hard, really? You can't really ever die in that game. You could get stuck often, though, I guess. That bell puzzle in the Zephon Cathedral.... arrrrrgh

I love Legacy of Kain so much. I should redo a marathon one of these days. After I'm done with Dark Souls 2 maybe...

kick51

Banned
One of the reasons ebay prices are high is because ebay/paypal gets like 11% of the sale, right? In some respect they're charging more than a reseller would make. I suppose HPB has a staff, utilities, and rent to pay too though, lol.

I think it works out to 15%. The time HPB uses putting staff on listing stuff online, waiting for the sale, buying packaging, packing it, shipping it, along with a certain percentage of chargebacks i'm guessing...I don't see how they'd come out ahead overall vs. charging a little less in store.

but each store is run a little differently and they handle things in a way that I guess they've determined is efficient.

plus, half price books = quarter price buybacks, so they prob come out ahead either way.

kaiju

You probably shouldn't bother. US version was censored.

I know about the shitty voice actors for the US version but what else was censored? Just a couple of costumes?

My copy of Countdown Vampires came in today. Played a good hour of the game, and so far it's a decent RE wannabe. This game SCREAMS 1999. Biggest gripe are the camera angles, my god are they bad. I died in the beginning because you only have a few minutes to leave the club, but the angles were so confusing I had no idea where a door was.

lot083_zpsbdbfa053.jpg

Also got this import, which I believe was only released in Europe. It's an open world Sci-Fi adventure game. Reminds me a bit of Destroy All Humans for PS2, but in this one you play as an Alien that must eliminate an enemy threat across five different planets.

lot086_zps92c5ed55.jpg

terracon1.jpg

TnK

Bought this off a fellow gaffer a while back, and it finally arrived:
20140224_193108jmyiy.jpg

Finally, I have all MM Legends games now, thanks CJ.

TnK

Nope, not at all, lol. Condition is great too. I got it for a good deal regarding this type of collector's item though. Never imagined I'd actually own this game at some point.

Would be awesome if a certain member in this thread also sell me their second cool ninja game too *hint hint/wink wink*

20140224_193108jmyiy.jpg

Congrats! Welcome to the club. :)

Speaking of which, I just caved and bought a copy of Klonoa. Just a few more of the big ones to mark off the list...anyone interested in selling Team Buddies, Einhander, or Tactics Ogre for cheap? ;)

Credo

20140224_193108jmyiy.jpg

Congrats! I'm still looking for a replacement case for mine. The double-disc holder inside mine is busted as can be, and I can't find another good one to put the discs, booklet, and artwork in.

I'm considering getting a PSX (9001 model) locally; however, I totally forgot that I have a PS2 and that it's pretty much backwards compatible with the PSX. Should I bother, or is there more to having the actual hardware? There's a lot of PSX games I want to play and never got the chance to.

ascii42

I'm considering getting a PSX (9001 model) locally; however, I totally forgot that I have a PS2 and that it's pretty much backwards compatible with the PSX. Should I bother, or is there more to having the actual hardware? There's a lot of PSX games I want to play and never got the chance to.
The benefits of having an original PSX is that it had the serial port, which was used for the system link cable. The PSone lacked it as well as the parallel port. The 9001 has the serial port, but doesn't have the parallel port, which the GameShark connected to.The PSone did add the benefit of allowing that screen, which is pretty cool.

Aside from that sort of stuff, it's not really needed, other than for the handful of PSone games the PS2 can't play.

Mzo

If you try to play Grandia, it'll randomly lock up.

That's the only negative I've found so far (US only, at least).

TnK

Having a PS2 for PSX games is superior since you can use component cables for the games.

Kolona is that expensive huh?

Also @credo, just get a cheap RE2, should be the same case, no?

kick51

Banned
Make sure you look up imports and check to see whether they have "modchip" detection or not before you buy them >_<

Aconcagua won't boot with a boot disc.

The benefits of having an original PSX is that it had the serial port, which was used for the system link cable. The PSone lacked it as well as the parallel port. The 9001 has the serial port, but doesn't have the parallel port, which the GameShark connected to.The PSone did add the benefit of allowing that screen, which is pretty cool.

Aside from that sort of stuff, it's not really needed, other than for the handful of PSone games the PS2 can't play.

there are some good ones on the non-compatible list. Tomba being one of them.

but I think the fat PS2 has hardware emulation, doesn't it? so it shouldn't be a problem on one of those.

Top Bottom