• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

kick51

Banned
klonoa's price makes me cry myself to sleep every night

i can't play PS1 classics on PS3 anymore, i'm totally ruined by my CRT set up.

i supposed i could get a wii at some point, i don't see their prices going up from the $50 avg they sell at used.

Seriously? Explanation please! I have a RGB and a Component cable for my PS2. Should I be switching for either playing PS1 or PS2 games?

Color separation is better with RGB. Component has advantages like 480p and 1080i for the few PS2 games that support those resolutions, but if you're playing low res PS1 stuff, RGB will give you the best quality image.

Color separation is better with RGB. Component has advantages like 480p and 1080i for the few PS2 games that support those resolutions, but if you're playing low res PS1 stuff, RGB will give you the best quality image.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind the next time I play them!

So would it be crazy to seek out a good CRT computer monitor that I can hook up to my PS2 via an RGB cable? Do I need to do anything special to the PS2? And would it look fine to just keep it plugged in to RGB or is it better to switch between Component/RGB (for PS1 games). Sorry, a bit off-topic.

I found a local guy selling a 1001, 5501, and a 7001 for 10 bucks each, wondering if I should jump on one of those?

ascii42

there are some good ones on the non-compatible list. Tomba being one of them.

but I think the fat PS2 has hardware emulation, doesn't it? so it shouldn't be a problem on one of those.
I'm pretty sure all PS2s have the PS1 CPU built in, it acted as the I/O processor. The fat PS2 was compatible with more PS1 titles, though.

kick51

Banned
The big problem with using a PS2 or PS3 to play PS1 games is you don't get this. I need to get that as my ringtone at some point.

that and PS3 has 40ms input lag no matter if you're playing from disc or PSN. Add that to the input lag from your display and it's an all around bad deal if you're playing games that rely on precise inputs.

that and PS3 has 40ms input lag no matter if you're playing from disc or PSN. Add that to the input lag from your display and it's an all around bad deal if you're playing games that rely on precise inputs.

yeah, don't even try to play Parappa or Incredible Crisis on a PS3 haha

Teknoman

How did the longbox for Raiden Project look? Was it a clear case like the Sega longboxes, or was it one of those black plastic kind?

That being said, whats a good price for a complete version?

baphomet

How did the longbox for Raiden Project look? Was it a clear case like the Sega longboxes, or was it one of those black plastic kind?

That being said, whats a good price for a complete version?

It was a launch game so it should be one of the clear plastic ones. No clue what a complete copy would cost. I wouldn't think more than $15, but that's a complete guess.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Anyone here ever play the game UBIK for PS1?

I loved the Philip K Dick book, and I understand this is related. Is it any good?

kaiju

So there was a Japanese seller on eBay two weeks ago, selling a ton of PS1 games starting at a penny, and I won a bunch of games for killer deals.

Here's just a few of my faves:

Brave Charge Box

lot106_zps0302b5df.jpg

Gungage

lot114_zps1347bcb4.jpg

Cyber Org (Squaresoft WTF?)

lot112_zpsd22dd215.jpg

I'll post the rest later :)

Not rare. Not a collectors item. But still the game that really got me into gaming as a major hobby. I had played my entire life starting with the NES, but it was when this hit while I was in junior high/middle school that my hobby turned into weekend-long binges:
n4q7kZB.jpg

Teknoman

I kinda need to know what Cyberorg is. Cool that Brave Charge actually came with a figure.

How much do you think it would run to modchip a PSone these days?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I'd always really wanted to buy Gungage as a kid, back when I first got into importing (5th grade... shit, I'm old.) Never did. Anyway, I'm guessing the game is kinda butt today, but the soundtrack was really something special. I think I put a few tracks from the game in that PS1 music playlist I put up last year.

IrishNinja

man, i was going through old PSM magazines the other day...i'm this close to grabbing the one with the Resident Evil lid sticker & putting that thing back on the modded system baphomet sold me. looking back, the PS2 had a fantastic library but PSX felt so much more experimental, and between that feel & many games being $40-50 alla sudden, i had some really great times in college with it.

there's a lotta guys (Gamesack, etc) that constantly harp on 32-bit gen/early polygon stuff aging poorly/being unplayable...i don't doubt the upscaler's helping a great deal here but i largely don't feel that way. tank controls, lack of dual analogs for many earlier titles etc are a much bigger factor.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
man, i was going through old PSM magazines the other day...i'm this close to grabbing the one with the Resident Evil lid sticker & putting that thing back on the modded system baphomet sold me. looking back, the PS2 had a fantastic library but PSX felt so much more experimental, and between that feel & many games being $40-50 alla sudden, i had some really great times in college with it.

there's a lotta guys (Gamesack, etc) that constantly harp on 32-bit gen/early polygon stuff aging poorly/being unplayable...i don't doubt the upscaler's helping a great deal here but i largely don't feel that way. tank controls, lack of dual analogs for many earlier titles etc are a much bigger factor.

I agree with you on that point. A lot of the 32-bit stuff that's unplayable today wasn't particularly good back in the day, either. You could still just feel the gimmickry back then, even if the graphics were "great" by those standards.

Also, don't tussle with those lid stickers. I used a PSM one on my OG PS1, and wanted to take it off a few months later.

WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

kaiju

I kinda need to know what Cyberorg is. Cool that Brave Charge actually came with a figure.

How much do you think it would run to modchip a PSone these days?

My mind has been blown after an hour of playing Cyber Org this evening. How did this not make it to the U.S.? Anyways, it's an action game and you can choose from 3 different characters at the press of a button. The levels are stagnant, meaning they don't really rotate, lots of invisible walls...and you have to use each character to get through various puzzles, roadblocks, and passwords, etc.

Check out the epic intro!: http://youtu.be/G9s7rpsl5Ik

I'd always really wanted to buy Gungage as a kid, back when I first got into importing (5th grade... shit, I'm old.) Never did. Anyway, I'm guessing the game is kinda butt today, but the soundtrack was really something special. I think I put a few tracks from the game in that PS1 music playlist I put up last year.

I played the first few levels and really enjoy it so far. You move through each level as a bunch of different enemies come at you. There is an auto target thingy that locks on to them pretty quick, making it easy to blow 'em to smithereens. There are bosses at the end of each level and they are pretty awesome and fun to destroy.

gfs_15170_2_7.jpg

IrishNinja

I agree with you on that point. A lot of the 32-bit stuff that's unplayable today wasn't particularly good back in the day, either. You could still just feel the gimmickry back then, even if the graphics were "great" by those standards.

Also, don't tussle with those lid stickers. I used a PSM one on my OG PS1, and wanted to take it off a few months later.

WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

haha yeah i remember putting the PSM smiley logo thing on one one time & wanting to change it out...NOPE
if i do it, i'll be decisive about it! i still dig my cloud & PSM logo memory card stickers, just kind've part of that era for me...Chris Slate (back in his Game Players days, right before PSM) got me to play stuff like Suikoden which i never would have otherwise with that cover. there was this run when they got going in '97 that started with FF VII and bam, stuff like PaRappa, MGS, Silent Hill, SOTN, Incredible Crisis, Strider 2 etc wasn't too long after it and i was just going nuts at their previews.

Teknoman

Yeah, even the characters look like something you'd see in a western comic book. Surprised that never made it outside of Japan.

Yeah, even the characters look like something you'd see in a western comic book. Surprised that never made it outside of Japan.

Same case with Assault Suit Leynos 2 on the Saturn, which had a western comic book style for character art too. Though that never getting localized probably has more to do with the Sega Saturn tanking in the west.

Vorg

Banned
Just found Legend of Legaia on a used goods store for 3 euros. It's in good condition and has a manual. Is the game any good?

Vorg

Banned
Woah that's a good find! It is one of the harder to find PAL PS1 RPGs. The game is great too!

It is? Guess I got lucky this time :). Gonna try it on my ps3 when I get home. Thanks.

Edit. This game looks fugly on my tv. It's a mess. I was kinda shocked tbqh. I guess I'll rip it and play it on epsxe on my jxd 7800.

I'm pretty sure all PS2s have the PS1 CPU built in, it acted as the I/O processor. The fat PS2 was compatible with more PS1 titles, though.
Not all PS2 models had the PS1 CPU built in (ditched for a different processor), so they had to switch to full PS1 software emulation.

The original fat PS2 had a mix of hardware and software emulation.

I just want to add to this thread that I never got the chance to play any psone games as I started gaming with a PS2 (and stupidly never bothered with backwards compatibility), but now that I have a Vita I've been diving into the psone classics, and holy shit there are some absolute masterpieces.

I was worried that the games were so old they wouldn't hold up from a graphics or gameplay perspective, but I was totally wrong. While the graphics aren't techincally 'good' anymore, I feel the art style (at least of the games I've played) shine through and make it look fantastic anyway. And there's something aesthetically pleasing about some of the blocky polygonal graphics anyway.

I started with RE2 and 3, and I instantly fell in love with them. They have great soundtracks, and I loved the pre-rendered backgrounds. They also, especially RE2, have super tight pacing and I love the way the environments seem overwhelming but the games do an excellent job of guiding you through, and the really cleverly set up jump scares make backtracking a real treat.

I'm currently playing Silent Hill and MGS right now, and these two games (even though I haven't finished them yet) are already blasting to the top of the 'best games I've ever played' list. Both have just a really impeccable sense of atmosphere, and while I thought the RE soundtracks were great, the music in these two games is just unparalleled. The MGS soundtracks gives me John Carpenter vibes in the best way possible, and the Silent Hill music is like nothing I've ever heard; beautiful, haunting, grimy, horrifying.

The graphics of MGS in particular seem perfectly suited for the blocky textures of psone, and it makes the absolute most of them. Silent Hill also looks great, and it's griminess and foggy atmosphere work really well in tandem with the low res graphics.

Something I've noticed about these psone games is that they feel like the perfect balance of being 'linear' in the sense that the story has forward progression at all times (so you never have the boring tedium of filler content like in openworld games) but they don't hold your hand either and give you a ton of freedom to explore and figure things out on your own. Silent HIll has also made me remember what good puzzles are like, I actually had to make a diagram on a piece of paper for god sakes! Almost no games today would do that, and it's so, so refreshing to actually have to use my brain for once.

Also, age has not diminished Silent Hill's ability to be terrifying in the slightest. The graphics, music, sound design, and desturbing enemies, locations, and scares all work perfectly to give this overwhelming sense of dread that just isn't replicated by RE's *boo!* jump scares.

Anyone have any recommendations as to what psone classics I should get next? (I'm a NA psn user). I have Castlevania SOTN and played a little of it, but haven't really put any serious time into it. I was thinking of maybe getting FF VII next.

Mlatador

Banned
Anyone have any recommendations as to what psone classics I should get next? (I'm a NA psn user). I have Castlevania SOTN and played a little of it, but haven't really put any serious time into it. I was thinking of maybe getting FF VII next.

Yes, get FF VII. You seem to have a good amount of appreciation for the games the PS1 could produce during its time and within its limitations.

Final Fantasy is a stunning showcase of great story-telling, awesome art direction (that despite being "japanese" won't scare away westerners), great visuals (for that time) with its detailed in-game battles & spectacular-looking spells/summons, absolutely beautiful pre-renders backgrounds, mindblowing (for that time) CGI sequences and amazing soundtrack. The characters are very likable, pacing is great, the story genunily interesting (featuring a hell of an antagonist), the battle system traditional, deap and very enjoyable (due to the materia-system). The game ouzes athmosphere, so you should take your time and not forget to throw in a grinding season/exploring season once in a while, to level up your party and find certain secrets.

Yes, get FF VII. You seem to have a good amount of appreciation for the games the PS1 could produce during its time and within its limitations.

Final Fantasy is a stunning showcase of great story-telling, awesome art direction (that despite being "japanese" won't scare away westerners), great visuals (for that time) with its detailed in-game battles & spectacular-looking spells/summons, absolutely beautiful pre-renders backgrounds, mindblowing (for that time) CGI sequences and amazing soundtrack. The characters are very likable, pacing is great, the story genunily interesting (featuring a hell of an antagonist), the battle system traditional, deap and very enjoyable (due to the materia-system). The game ouzes athmosphere, so you should take your time and not forget to throw in a grinding season/exploring season once in a while, to level up your party and find certain secrets.

Awesome! Sounds like it's definitely a classic for a reason! I actually listened to some of the soundtrack and it was so great, its a big factor as to why I want to play this one (is it just me or did the psone era have amazing soundtracks in general? Every one I've payed so far, which is admittedly not that many, has had a crazy good soundtrack. I'm glad you say the battle system is traditional, as FFX has my favorite FF battle system and that was pretty traditional.

Vagrant Story. Do it.

Yeah I'm very curious about this one! From what I've seen the graphics are AMAZING and it seems very FFXII-ish, which is awesome because FFXII is pretty great.

Awesome! Sounds like it's definitely a classic for a reason! I actually listened to some of the soundtrack and it was so great, its a big factor as to why I want to play this one (is it just me or did the psone era have amazing soundtracks in general? Every one I've payed so far, which is admittedly not that many, has had a crazy good soundtrack. I'm glad you say the battle system is traditional, as FFX has my favorite FF battle system and that was pretty traditional.

Yeah I'm very curious about this one! From what I've seen the graphics are AMAZING and it seems very FFXII-ish, which is awesome because FFXII is pretty great.

Yeah FFXII shares the same director (Yasumi Matsuno)/character designer so aesthetically I can attest its one of the best looking games in the library, looking pretty good even today.

TnK

Is Silent Hill that good? Never played it, nor was interested in it back in the ps1/2 days. I only own SH3, played a bit at the start, then quit.

I have RE2 coming on the way, can't wait.

Legend of Legaia was pretty bad. Massive disappointment coming from the Wild ARMs devs.

I felt the same way right at the start of playing. Thought it was just a really ugly really basic jrpg. After playing it for a while I realized it did things that a lot of jrpgs of the time didn't do. Stuff like how equipment actually changes how your character looks in combat and choice prompts actually existing and effecting things. Sure it was basic, but there was even multiple endings depending on how you answered one.

Teknoman

I think it looked pretty decent but then I was a fan of its battle system.

EDIT: Whats with 4 disc cases having the first disc flop out, no matter how delicately you move the cases around?

Is Silent Hill that good? Never played it, nor was interested in it back in the ps1/2 days. I only own SH3, played a bit at the start, then quit.

I have RE2 coming on the way, can't wait.

Silent Hill is absolutely that good! If you're a RE fan I would say its better in terms of scares, atmosphere, and puzzles without a doubt. It's just so damn disturbing and all the best scares in it have been set up really really well.
And I would say its honestly worth playing just for the music and sound design alone,mthey are just on a whole different level.

You're in for a treat with RE2 though, that game is amazing. So many great locations, weapons, scares, and then they all get changed up in the different scenarios.

Yeah FFXII shares the same director (Yasumi Matsuno)/character designer so aesthetically I can attest its one of the best looking games in the library, looking pretty good even today.

Oh wow that makes sense! At $6 there's no reason for me not to download this at some point anyway

EDIT: Whats with 4 disc cases having the first disc flop out, no matter how delicately you move the cases around?

It's never static for me, as in just about every one of my 4 disc cases have some broken tabs that don't hold a disc in place. The only time when that is a bad thing though is when it is the middle segment that has that problem since the 2 outer clear parts are just the "back" end of a normal 1 disk holder and can replaced really easily.

Oh wow that makes sense! At $6 there's no reason for me not to download this at some point anyway

The game will be a little overwhelming if you don't know what you are getting into. The weapon and damage system in it have a ton of variables.

Top Bottom