• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

TnK

Silent Hill is absolutely that good! If you're a RE fan I would say its better in terms of scares, atmosphere, and puzzles without a doubt. It's just so damn disturbing and all the best scares in it have been set up really really well.
And I would say its honestly worth playing just for the music and sound design alone,mthey are just on a whole different level.

You're in for a treat with RE2 though, that game is amazing. So many great locations, weapons, scares, and then they all get changed up in the different scenarios.
I'll try getting the game then. Speaking of RE2, here it is:
20140315_16095856l8v.jpg

Cross post here and in the GBA thread. Got these from a another member here. RE2 and CV are in really good condition, and got them both for a good price. RE2 was $15, while CV was $45.

20140315_16095856l8v.jpg

Cross post here and in the GBA thread. Got these from a another member here. RE2 and CV are in really good condition, and got them both for a good price. RE2 was $15, while CV was $45.

Good CV pickups friend. Is Aria sealed too?

kaiju

Here's the rest of the imports I got a few weeks ago:

The Astronaut - Interesting astronaut sim that captures the feeling of gravity very well.

lot109_zps6d55740b.jpg

gfs_23418_2_7.jpg

Baroque - This game was remade for the PS2/Wii but I prefer the first-person aspect of the original.

lot117_zps909ed159.jpg

Overblood 2 - Wanted to check this one out after watching Game Informer's Super Replay of the game, which you can find here.

lot122_zpsd46a2689.jpg

Here's the rest of the imports I got a few weeks ago:

The Astronaut - Interesting astronaut sim that captures the feeling of gravity very well.

lot109_zps6d55740b.jpg

gfs_23418_2_7.jpg

Baroque - This game was remade for the PS2/Wii but I prefer the first-person aspect of the original.

lot117_zps909ed159.jpg

Overblood 2 - Wanted to check this one out after watching Game Informer's Super Replay of the game, which you can find here.

lot122_zpsd46a2689.jpg

Poor, poor, Pipo may you rest in peace. :)

20140315_16095856l8v.jpg

Is it safe to say that RE2 has one of the best covers of any game, ever? It's so immediately iconic and sinister, even if I knew nothing about the game I would buy it simply based on how great that art is, and then proceed to never play the game because it makes the game seem absolutely horrifying.

$1.25 gas. Shiiit.

I haven't played one of the old RE in years. Crazy seeing how far the series has moved from where it began. Limited storage space is a pain in the fucking ass.

Nemesis is an intense mother fucker. I didn't remember him popping up so much. Every time it feels like I have a good stock of ammo and herbs, that bitch pops up to rain on my parade.

Mzo

STARS

Side note: I hated how lazy they were in their rendition of RE3 environments and especially Nemesis himself in the Umbrella Chronicles. None of the iconic locations were used for that segment and Nemesis sounds awful =( I freaking love RE3.

Psxdad

Thought I'd finally contribute to this thread! Started collecting again back in January. Basically the concept behind my collection is to collect what I view as the Top 100 PS1 games. I like it since it forces me to make some hard choices but captures the diversity that the system has to offer. Here' sweat I've picked up so far.

sfedai0

Banned
Thought I'd finally contribute to this thread! Started collecting again back in January. Basically the concept behind my collection is to collect what I view as the Top 100 PS1 games. I like it since it forces me to make some hard choices but captures the diversity that the system has to offer. Here' sweat I've picked up so far.

OMG, the memories. Lot of those games were groundbreaking for their time, but some dont really stand the test of time too well. But very good choices and all black label too? Deep pockets eh?

STARS

Side note: I hated how lazy they were in their rendition of RE3 environments and especially Nemesis himself in the Umbrella Chronicles. None of the iconic locations were used for that segment and Nemesis sounds awful =( I freaking love RE3.

Yeah I'm not sure why RE3 gets such a bad rap it seems. I played it back to back with RE2 and I think it's about as good as it. It has better puzzles, Nemisis himself is pretty intense, I like the dodge button, and the change of setting is great--even though it's the same structure as RE2's level progression, it just feels so much more open with the different sections of the city. There aren't quite as many memorable scares as RE2, but the ones it has are still great.

Psxdad

I think the white balance setting on your camera is out of whack on the last few photos; there's a distinct blue hue over everything.

That's actually because I'm standing in front of a blue window lol. Probably not the best light source but just took it in my bedroom.

Psxdad

OMG, the memories. Lot of those games were groundbreaking for their time, but some dont really stand the test of time too well. But very good choices and all black label too? Deep pockets eh?

Thanks. About 1/4 of the way through adding to my collection. I wouldn't say I have overly deep pockets. I have a wife and kid and I'm the only one who works. Most of this stuff has been acquired by spending a reasonable amount of money, and selling a few random things around the house, like a few extra golf irons that I had. It's all about finding good deals, and being patient IMO. Patience is the hard part.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, I find that PS1 games have better image quality (in terms of overall clarity) than PS2 games. It's weird. But that shit is like crystal.

Resident Evil 3 down. Awesome game. I didn't remember much of it since I haven't played it since launch. Fun playing a game where death really matters. Shit was intense knowing that if I died I was going to be set back 10-15 minutes.

Also cool that some of the items and monsters were randomized. I never knew that. Seeing a dead tyrant at the end was cool.

I actually just played through Resident Evil 3 myself, too (on the Dreamcast, though). I finished it around 5 AM (Eastern Time). I bought it back in 2000, but I never got far in it, and I'd always end up restarting it over and over again. It was the one of the few Resident Evil games I hadn't finished (others are remake and Zero, haven't played any spin-offs).

I loved how you always had to be ready for anything, because sometimes you'd walk into a room and there'd be just basic zombies or nothing, and then you go through it again and there'd be Hunters or spiders or who knows what else. And sometimes Nemesis would just suddenly pop up, too. Outside of save rooms, you really gotta stay on your toes in that game. You never know what's gonna happen.

And stuff like codes to unlock stuff and some item placements can be different if you died and loaded up again, so you can't entirely rely on whatever you saw before.

It's a really damn good game. And yeah, that dead Tyrant cameo was nice. Hah.

Vorg

Banned
I actually just played through Resident Evil 3 myself, too (on the Dreamcast, though). I finished it around 5 AM (Eastern Time). I bought it back in 2000, but I never got far in it, and I'd always end up restarting it over and over again. It was the one of the few Resident Evil games I hadn't finished (others are remake and Zero, haven't played any spin-offs).

I loved how you always had to be ready for anything, because sometimes you'd walk into a room and there'd be just basic zombies or nothing, and then you go through it again and there'd be Hunters or spiders or who knows what else. And sometimes Nemesis would just suddenly pop up, too. Outside of save rooms, you really gotta stay on your toes in that game. You never know what's gonna happen.

And stuff like codes to unlock stuff and some item placements can be different if you died and loaded up again, so you can't entirely rely on whatever you saw before.

It's a really damn good game. And yeah, that dead Tyrant cameo was nice. Hah.

Finished the ps1 trilogy a few weeks ago, but backwards. Started with 3, then 2 and the first game last. Had a great time. Those games hold up pretty well in my opinion.

Mlatador

Banned
Cross-post from the pick-up thread.
Got the two Red Alert games last Saturday and the first game today:
p0OgU64.png

I'm almost done with my PSOne collection.

Fucking awesome! I remember playing Red Alert with a friend via PS1 Lan (with 2 CRTs). Shit was amazing!

IrishNinja

^nice! been wanting to grab C&C on the cheap but a 2 screen setup wouldve been awesome in the day

FINALLY got my PS1 hooked up to my XRGB today

holy shit

So yeah, PS1 has by far the best image out of all of my retro consoles. I shouldn't be surprised, really.

seriously, so happy with my results as well - everytime i hear people (Gamesack is big on this) that 32 bit gen ages like shit, i keep thinking they're just doing it wrong

Rich!

seriously, so happy with my results as well - everytime i hear people (Gamesack is big on this) that 32 bit gen ages like shit, i keep thinking they're just doing it wrong

definitely. Another SOTN photo:

awww yeah

I'm heading to the local market tomorrow and there's a retro stall with tonnes of PS1 games, so hopefully I'll get a few bargains!

kaiju

Latest arrivals, all NTSC-J imports:

Lucifer Ring - Very cool hack n' slasher, it's also on PSN and I highly recommend checking it out.

lot132_zps34f2aefd.jpg

lr3.png

Cyberbots - Capcom never ceases to amaze me. A Mech Fighting game? Holy Shit!!

lot135_zps0351c1e6.jpg

6a4d1fbaeed781379422352b767364c6.jpg

Elder Gate - An RPG by Konami. But I can't find a translation or walkthrough anywhere. Going to try to figure it all out though, as the game looks intriguing.

lot136_zps034d56f6.jpg

7114.jpg

Mzo

Good ep, it's impossible to even come close to covering every good PS game but they had a nice spread.

Never heard of that Lemmings playformer before. Want.

Went to a couple places this weekend, didn't find much. Did luck upon this, though:

Not the best price ever, but certainly not bad either. Instructions and disk look great. The place I got it from didn't have shit else, but a customer had just sold this to them when I walked in. Lucky timing.

I need to find a copy of Part One now. I've never played Two, and I never finished One.

hipgnosis

Nice find! That's an awesome game. And the price seems reasonable as well.

I've recently completed my PS1 PAL Megaman collection. Damn hard to find for reasonable prices today.

The games include:

Megaman 8
Megaman X3
Megaman X4
Megaman X5
Megaman X6
Megaman Battle and Chase
Megaman Legends
Megaman Legends 2
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne

All great titles though I still prefer the original series.

Speaking of the original series, Megaman 1-6 all had separate disc releases on Playstation in Japan. Might be worth checking out for a collector such as yourself.

I've recently completed my PS1 PAL Megaman collection. Damn hard to find for reasonable prices today.

Yeah, I've been having a hard time finding the Mega Man games locally. I figured the X games would be common. I've gotten 8, X5, and now Legends 2 so far. That's it.

I need another copy of 8 because I thought it had the instructions, but when I got home I realized it was just the cover that had been torn off. Pissed me the fuck off. At least prices are pretty cheap compared to the SNES games (not counting Legends stuff).

Speaking of the original series, Megaman 1-4 all had separate disc releases on Playstation in Japan. Might be worth checking out for a collector such as yourself.

Crazy. Didn't know this. Seems real fucking weird to have individual discs for NES games. Wanna see them now.

Mzo

We got those slightly updated versions and their remixed soundtracks in the Mega Man Collection. No real reason to pick them up, especially now that they're expensive.

Pretty artwork, I guess.

Also, pretty sure it's 1-6 not just 1-4.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
We got those slightly updated versions and their remixed soundtracks in the Mega Man Collection. No real reason to pick them up, especially now that they're expensive.

Pretty artwork, I guess.

Also, pretty sure it's 1-6 not just 1-4.

The PS1 games are 240p while the Collection are upscaled and interlaced (and I think filtered too). Plus the arranged music for MM6 really got screwed up somehow, at least in the PS2 version.

But then again, getting all of the PS1 discs will cost at least $100+, and the PS2 release is a fraction of that. It's not unplayable or anything, just videophile stuff, so it's probably an acceptable tradeoff.

Top Bottom