• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

QwKdD0l.jpg

XtbGcTp.jpg

mJJmI2E.jpg

It's probably been a decade since I played this game. It's crazy how far the series has come from this. You die so quickly if you fuck up, and enemies seem to go on alert super easy. Seems like just choking someone out from behind sends everyone into alert.

Aiming is a bitch. I was pretty much just pushing the button as fast as possible and hoping for the best during the first Meryl scene where the soldiers keep storming in.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ I just had a nostalgia bomb from seeing MGS1 played on a grey Sony Trinitron. Was my rig of choice back in the early 2000s.

I ditched mine a couple years back though... there was some issue on mine where you'd get "waves" on your screen when playing old games, and if your CRT doesn't look nice playing retro games, what's the point?

Mzo

Aiming is a bitch. I was pretty much just pushing the button as fast as possible and hoping for the best during the first Meryl scene where the soldiers keep storming in.

You can lock on to enemies, even as you run. I think you hold square to lock on and tap or hold X to run around while you do it.

I ditched mine a couple years back though... there was some issue on mine where you'd get "waves" on your screen when playing old games, and if your CRT doesn't look nice playing retro games, what's the point?

That's weird. I got this just for retro gaming. I have another one in the bedroom. I'm always watching craigslist waiting for another one to pop up for free with its stand so I can bring it to my parents (I have a second Genesis, SNES, and NES there). They are so crazy heavy, though.

You can lock on to enemies, even as you run. I think you hold square to lock on and tap or hold X to run around while you do it.

Bullshit. I don't think I ever knew this, or if I did I forgot it a long time ago. I probably haven't played this since it first came out, not counting Twin Snakes.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Got this today:

But, inside was the interesting thing:

I don't know what it means. I assume it's a hint to find hidden treasure and I will soon be rich.

Clearly, it means he hid some Red Devil (a hypnotic drug) in the case, and you're supposed to get really fucked up before you play the game.

Got this today:

But, inside was the interesting thing:

I don't know what it means. I assume it's a hint to find hidden treasure and I will soon be rich.

What's weird is that it wasn't in the case before I paid for it. So the woman who was working put it in there when she got the disc out of the drawer. I would assume it was in the sleeve with the disc.

It was nice knowing you Hero... You should suspect some sort of Creepy Pasta type shit to start happening soon.

TnK

MML1 did not age well, while MML2 holds up well.
1 has an awesome story though, also, is there a vid for the cut roll model in the cutscene where you walk suddenly in the room?

Ok you guys, I want excellent PSX RPGs aside from Parasite Eve, FF, and Xenogears.

Jinto

1 has an awesome story though, also, is there a vid for the cut roll model in the cutscene where you walk suddenly in the room?

Ok you guys, I want excellent PSX RPGs aside from Parasite Eve, FF, and Xenogears.

Lunar: Silver Star Story
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Wild Arms
Wild Arms 2

I think the story and gameworld design are much better in MML1. All the exploration and sidequests feel more adventure like as well. The only thing that I felt was better in 2 was controls, supporting the sticks and all, which I guess can mean a lot for how well it holds up over time. Still, given the choice, I would always replay the first game over the second if I was just doing one.

I'm trying to decide which ps1 Rpg I should play next. Came up with these off the top of my head, but would take suggestions too.

Valkyrie Profile
Wild Arms
Vagrant Story
Star Ocean 2
Grandia
Alundra
Parasite Eve

I recently got Vagrant Story, and it's amazing so far

Teknoman

I'm trying to decide which ps1 Rpg I should play next. Came up with these off the top of my head, but would take suggestions too.

Valkyrie Profile
Wild Arms
Vagrant Story
Star Ocean 2
Grandia
Alundra
Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve since its a great experience, and you could probably go through it in a small amount of time.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I acquired Thousand Arms, Vangard Bandits and Brigandine not too long ago, not sure which I should play. I also have Shadow Tower.

IrishNinja

most of my remaining PSX wants are fortunately on the cheap end - Vandal Hearts, Wipeout XL, Vib Ribbon, Gunner's Heaven etc...i think the most expensive ones are Legend of Mana and IQ, neither are terrible but they can wait till i pay more stuff off & find them on forum listings.

i just noticed that the FF VII i picked up for $10 last month is the original one with the error like i used to have, which is cool too.

I acquired Thousand Arms, Vangard Bandits and Brigandine not too long ago, not sure which I should play. I also have Shadow Tower.

Congrats on Brigandine. I was so happy when I finally marked that one off my list.

most of my remaining PSX wants are fortunately on the cheap end - Vandal Hearts, Wipeout XL, Vib Ribbon, Gunner's Heaven etc...i think the most expensive ones are Legend of Mana and IQ, neither are terrible but they can wait till i pay more stuff off & find them on forum listings.

i just noticed that the FF VII i picked up for $10 last month is the original one with the error like i used to have, which is cool too.

I feel kind of bad because most of the few GH games I have are the FFs. Thanks for reminding me about Vib Ribbon -- that's one I keep forgetting to track down.

trikster40

BRAVE FENCER MUSASHI!! Great action-RPG from Square!
Also, Threads of Fate was great!

TnK

Lunar: Silver Star Story
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Wild Arms
Wild Arms 2
Are you trying to make me go broke? Lol. Some of those games are very $$$$$
Grandia, Vagrant Story, Alundra (if that counts, lol)
Ordered Vagrant Story. I heard really good things from Alundra. Some call it the better LTTP.

BRAVE FENCER MUSASHI!! Great action-RPG from Square!
Also, Threads of Fate was great!
Just ordered Threads of Fate as well. I will look into brave fencer musashi when I get the chance.

Jinto

Are you trying to make me go broke? Lol. Some of those games are very $$$$$

Ordered Vagrant Story. I heard really good things from Alundra. Some call it the better LTTP.

Just ordered Threads of Fate as well. I will look into brave fencer musashi when I get the chance.

Lol I didn't realize how expensive they are now. Good thing I held onto my collection. I haven't purchased a PS1 game in years. Time to change that and track down Alundra.

Having not played this in probably a decade, I'm amazed at how awesome it still is. I am fucking stuck at the torture scene, though. Tried like five times, seems just about impossible. Was hoping to finish it today, not going to happen it seems. Need a Titanfall break, then I'll give it another go.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Having not played this in probably a decade, I'm amazed at how awesome it still is. I am fucking stuck at the torture scene, though. Tried like five times, seems just about impossible. Was hoping to finish it today, not going to happen it seems. Need a Titanfall break, then I'll give it another go.

^ The fap is weak with this one.

Priz

I really wished Agetec was still around and could have released their previous licensed/localized stuff on US PSN. So many fun hours on some of these games... and still a few in my backlog which I wished I could play on my Vita...

Rising Zan: Samurai Gunman!

Popolocrois PSP (a mix of the two games in one)

Board Game Top Shop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Shop - spent many hours with friends playing this (they picked it up at the Flea Market about a month before the retail game hit). Fun game!

Mlatador

Banned
Trap Gunner.

Never seen or heard of this game before, but after accidentally bumping into this youtube video, I'm going to have to find a copy. It looks like crazy fun. =)

And dat soundtrack!

After watching the video, I've noticed something regarding the 2 player splitscreen vs mode.

I think its pretty easy to see your opponents mines on their screen. Would be cool if this game had PSX LAN support like certain other games. Does somebody know if this is an option?

Other than that it looks very intesting and fun.

Yuterald

Thoughts on Guardian's Crusade?

I actually liked Guardian's Crusade (Knight and Baby...lol!) back in the day. I played it to completion and enjoyed my time with it for what it was worth. It's a traditional turn based RPG through and through. You collect "toys" which are sort of clockwork-like windup robots in nature and they act as familiars/spells in battle. The little dragon (or baby creature) that accompanies you can perform in battle, but it's essentially a solo game, sort of like Tsugunai: Atonement for the PS2, if you've ever played it. I couldn't tell you a thing about the story/narrative, but I recall the game feeling relatively lighthearted, but it's got that early 3D PSone game aesthetic/charm which is cool. Can't remember a damn thing about the OST though, hah! Game's got an interesting world map with a decent amount of secrets/side areas and an optional boss or two if I remember correctly.

I mean, you could do worse with RPGs on PSone. I'd like to think of it as a very innocent title. Does nothing particularly wrong nor does it really do anything special, doesn't try to be something it isn't, etc. Definitely cheap on eBay too.

Teknoman

Very simple battle system, clunky low-poly graphics with plenty of charm. Ultimately I didn't find it worth my time, but YMMV.

I actually liked Guardian's Crusade (Knight and Baby...lol!) back in the day. I played it to completion and enjoyed my time with it for what it was worth. It's a traditional turn based RPG through and through. You collect "toys" which are sort of clockwork-like windup robots in nature and they act as familiars/spells in battle. The little dragon (or baby creature) that accompanies you can perform in battle, but it's essentially a solo game, sort of like Tsugunai: Atonement for the PS2, if you've ever played it. I couldn't tell you a thing about the story/narrative, but I recall the game feeling relatively lighthearted, but it's got that early 3D PSone game aesthetic/charm which is cool. Can't remember a damn thing about the OST though, hah! Game's got an interesting world map with a decent amount of secrets/side areas and an optional boss or two if I remember correctly.

I mean, you could do worse with RPGs on PSone. I'd like to think of it as a very innocent title. Does nothing particularly wrong nor does it really do anything special, doesn't try to be something it isn't, etc. Definitely cheap on eBay too.

Actually i've never played Tsugunai, but the reason why I asked is because I heard this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Nt449SP24

If a game's music gets stuck in my head / sounds similar to another game I like...it usually ends up being worth my time in someway or another.

On that note, what about Beyond the Beyond, or was that actually crappy?

Found a copy of Rollcage today, I don't think I've played it since the original demo but it still has that magic. Can't believe there hasn't been a remake of this one.

Zing

Banned
I bought rollcage months ago, falling for the hype. I found it extremely difficult to control. Also, the analog controls don't really feel analog. I'll give it another try tonight.

I've had fun plotting out my memory card usage. I keep a spreadsheet of all my games and their memory requirements. I then assign each game to a particular card based on genre.

I just realized that I don't own MediEvil II. So now I am looking for it, since I loved the first game. I'm also scouting for King's Field. I played the game at release and beat it using a walkthrough, but I'd like to try it again "raw". It's surprising rare.

I just moved and haven't had my PSone connected for months. I'm going to rectify that tonight.

Zing

Banned
Found a stack of PS1 games along with the console at my parents' house.
Final Fantasy VII followed by a huge stack of sports games. This almost looks like a joke, poking fun at the cliche of the jock who just discovered video games with the PS1. It reminds me of a friend who had a PS2, but all he ever wanted to play was some SSX sports game.

Zing

Banned
Gave Rollcage another try last night. I'm just not feeling it. I'll be having fun for a bit and then I spin wildly out of control at the slightest bump from another car. The tracks are mildly interesting, but when playing in league mode, it felt like one boring race after another. The controls are just far too sensitive.

I also gave another game that I had previously quit another chance: Sheep Raider. I'm actually about 3/5 of the way through the game. It is okay, but I find it rather tedious. I am at a particular stage where I have to disarm a billion mines and it just isn't fun. It's clearly developed by a team different from the other looney tunes games. Everything from the music to the voices to the art is inferior. The other Bugs Bunny games felt like a cartoon. This just feels like a mediocre game.

I'll file them away for another try in the future. In the meantime, I am excited to get back into my old school gaming. I stopped playing PSone about a year ago and have some loose ends. I didn't finish Tales of Destiny, and I was a few hours into Vagrant Story (amazing game).

Today's pickups:

Nothing amazing, but decent prices.

Also, what the fuck is up with imgur rotating images? It's been doing it non-stop for me lately.

Wild Arms 2 was pretty great. Something that I loved about that game was how it didn't have the same kind of separation of game play elements and story elements that a ton of games had. For example, one of the non combat skills you have is to throw a knife to hit things iirc, and that ability wasn't just used for gameplay, but in non playable scenes as well. Instead of seeing something that you know your character could hit, but since its a cutscene they don't, the character would use that skill in the story parts. Same went for your combat skills in that they weren't just special effects for things to be used by the combat system, but would be used outside of set combat encounters as well, like the transformation.

....I'm not sure if any of what I just said makes sense at all...

Zing

Banned
Wild Arms 2 is one of those games I culled from my want list due to reviews and comments that it was too unlike the first game.

I got rid of pretty much all of my pre-Wii/360/PS3 games last year. We were planning on moving, so I thought I'd raise a big chunk of money to help with the move. The money-raising part went very well, but the moving part fell through... so now I am rebuying everything, but only if I find a good deal locally. So far, I only have one PS1 game:

61PT23E5E8L.jpg

Hooray?

Wild Arms 2 is one of those games I culled from my want list due to reviews and comments that it was too unlike the first game.

I've never played them before. Just grabbed it randomly since I don't see a ton of PSX RPGs out in the wild that aren't called Final Fantasy.

I found an old copy of Star Trek: Invasion while looking through some old stuff, ripped it, and popped it in EPSXE, only to find that the game keeps shoving big, thick black letterbox bars at the top of the cutscenes and loading screens whenever I use OpenGL2.

But the in-game stuff renders fine and I remember why I didn't play this game much as a kid. Using an analogue stick instead of the D-pad to maneuver is a massive improvement, but man, the stick sensitivity is insanely high. Some of the mechanics, like the motion lock-on are really wonky, but the fighter on fighter combat is pretty fun. The biggest problem so far (I've only played the first three missions) is that I have no idea how if there's even a way to regenerate my shields, otherwise I die in a few seconds, especially when up against a beam spamming capital ship.

I really wish someone would put out an HD remake of this game with better controls and a more comprehensive tutorial, because it's nice to find a space fighter game that's designed for a controller.

I know I'm not the first to say this, but goddamn do the Crash games hold up in every single way. They're really beautiful games, and the fact that Naughty Dog pulled this off on PS1 would be hard to believe if they were anyone but Naughty Dog.

And Spyro's particle effects are no slouch, either.

Top Bottom