• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

cj_iwakura

Wild Arms 2 was pretty great. Something that I loved about that game was how it didn't have the same kind of separation of game play elements and story elements that a ton of games had. For example, one of the non combat skills you have is to throw a knife to hit things iirc, and that ability wasn't just used for gameplay, but in non playable scenes as well. Instead of seeing something that you know your character could hit, but since its a cutscene they don't, the character would use that skill in the story parts. Same went for your combat skills in that they weren't just special effects for things to be used by the combat system, but would be used outside of set combat encounters as well, like the transformation.

....I'm not sure if any of what I just said makes sense at all...

Wild Arms 2 is my favorite. Just plain fun.

IrishNinja

god im so broke but some snipes i left up like a week ago came through, caught Vib Ribbon & Vandal Hearts CIB for $10 each, Wipeout XL for like $7

now i just gotta find a way to trade some extra fancy zelda guides for Legend of Mana and i think i'm out for a while

Mlatador

Banned
god im so broke but some snipes i left up like a week ago came through, caught Vib Ribbon & Vandal Hearts CIB for $10 each, Wipeout XL for like $7

now i just gotta find a way to trade some extra fancy zelda guides for Legend of Mana and i think i'm out for a while

Play Vandal Hearts ASAP! One of the best Tactial RPGs ever!! The story is very engaging, the gameplay awesome (& challenging), the graphics charming & the music superb!

Check out this long post (almost a Mini-OT) I made about Vandal Hearts in the "overlooked PS1 games thread".

Check out this "Classic Game Room" Vandal Hearts Review!

IrishNinja

^i will check all of these things out! i should mention that i totally owned & beat VH1 in the day, and am totally dreading redoing that prison battle, i remember it being tough at the time. does 2 hold up? i never played the sequel in that series or Parasite Eve.

Mlatador

Banned
^i will check all of these things out! i should mention that i totally owned & beat VH1 in the day, and am totally dreading redoing that prison battle, i remember it being tough at the time. does 2 hold up?

I just recently got ahold of a copy of Vandal Hearts 2 but haven't played it, since back in the day I read that it wasn't as good as the first one (people where let down by it), so I never gave it a try, and right now I have to many other games to play. I will play it eventually, however, and the see how good or bad it is for myself.

putermcgee

After scouring Akihabara to no avail, I ended up finding my personal holy grail at the Book Off closest to my house. Behold! The Japanese release of Thrasher: Skate & Destroy!

It's still got the spine cover, and while the case itself has seen better days, the inserts and disc are immaculate. I couldn't ask for more at ¥250.
Bk__kzkCUAAoOjo.jpg

Yesterdays pickups. Didn't know Ehrgeiz went for so much. Pretty odd/lucky to find Wild Arms 1 there a few days after they had Part Two. Guessing it was there before and the person working didn't see it when I asked them if they had any stuff behind the counter that was ready to sell (they take forever to get games out on the sales floor so this is the best way to find good stuff).

What the hell is with the Wild Arms case? It's a single disc game but it comes in one of those multi-disc cases. You can't actually use the first case, instead of having a center that holds discs, it's just the PSX logo. Real weird.

They also had a copy of Vandal Hearts for $10 which I really wanted, but it didn't have instructions. It had the cover of the instructions, and someone had cut the left side of it off where it said PlayStation so it was just the front art. Really weird. Sucks since I really want that game.

What the hell is with the Wild Arms case? It's a single disc game but it comes in one of those multi-disc cases. You can't actually use the first case, instead of having a center that holds discs, it's just the PSX logo. Real weird.

It's for games with thick manuals or inserts that wouldn't fit in standard jewel cases. Alundra is the same.

It's crazy because there are SO many games on the PS1 that are like this, especially RPGs. Having a multi-disc game after a something like FFVII back then was such a big selling point, so anything that made a game look similar was a great way to sell more.

It's for games with thick manuals or inserts that wouldn't fit in standard jewel cases. Alundra is the same.

That too. You saw that with stuff like Gran Turismo. Still, you also saw it with games that had normal sized manuals too.

About those original Mega Man games that were remastered as individual PS1 releases in Japan - the first four are available on PSN in North America. There's a handful of digital "imports" on the service. I have been thinking of getting one or two play on my Vita.

My favorite way to play my old PS1 disks.

ibwgIaZnm8rKuX.png

OSX has bluetooth PS3 controller support built-in. No extra drivers needed. :)
How difficult is PCSX to set up on a Mac? Hoping to get a new MBPr soon.

I got rid of pretty much all of my pre-Wii/360/PS3 games last year. We were planning on moving, so I thought I'd raise a big chunk of money to help with the move. The money-raising part went very well, but the moving part fell through... so now I am rebuying everything, but only if I find a good deal locally. So far, I only have one PS1 game:

61PT23E5E8L.jpg

Hooray?

As good a place as any to start - Broken Sword 2 is a certified classic.

Yuterald

Actually i've never played Tsugunai, but the reason why I asked is because I heard this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Nt449SP24

If a game's music gets stuck in my head / sounds similar to another game I like...it usually ends up being worth my time in someway or another.

On that note, what about Beyond the Beyond, or was that actually crappy?

Whoa, that track is really cool! Hah, I bet the game did have a pretty cool OST then. I'm guessing there's probably a few other good nuggets tucked away on that soundtrack if there's music like that floating around. I should replay my copy sometime now that I think about it. There's probably a lot of stuff I don't remember about the game. As I said, I definitely recall liking the time I spent with it though.

As far as Beyond the Beyond...I...actually liked that game, lol! That game gets shitted on left and right, but I thought it was a pretty decent RPG for its time. I mean, other than Arc the Lad (and Wild ARMs which was released a year later, if I'm correct) there weren't many RPG options during the early days of the system. I think why most people disliked it and were disappointed by it was because of how it "followed" in the footsteps of classics like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Phantasy Star IV, etc. form the previous generation. It feels like a B-tier SNES-era RPG (not that there's anything wrong with that). It's just whatever your expectations were at the time, I suppose.

I really don't think the game itself is all that bad. It's like a not-as-cool/good Golden Sun, especially considering the fact that it was developed by Camelot. I think maybe aside from a super annoying encounter rate, it's a pretty decent affair. It's a fairly simple turn based RPG though. I believe each character simply learned new moves at level up and there weren't too many (if at all) interesting sub-systems or gimmicks. There WAS a cool class promotion (as each character technically had a character "class") mid-game that I thought was pretty cool and it's a fairly challenging game as it is. Oh, I do recall the game having some pretty gnarly dungeon designs/ideas, so if you're a dungeon-guy, you may get a kick out of some of the scenarios they created. I sure did.

I'd say if you're an RPG enthusiast it's worth checking out, especially if you're a huge fan of Camelot/Golden Sun. You can sort of see how they developed/improved from Beyond to Golden Sun which is something I always enjoy experiencing.

PS1 is my favourite console of all time

crash bandicoot 1 and tomb raider 1 were the first games i had when i was 5

there are currently 39 (maybe 38) PS1 games on my PS3

Zing

Banned
Somehow I never realized that people who were born in the 90s were now old. Sigh.

I had a Coleco Vision when I was five.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Somehow I never realized that people who were born in the 90s were now old. Sigh.

I've been IDing people at a recent job so I'm aware of it.

I can sell cigarettes to people born in 1996.

It blew my mind to see some of the responses in the "least played systems" threads. People talking about N64 or PSX being their first system. Some of my absolute favorite games are from generations these kids couldn't give a fuck less about. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just crazy to me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It blew my mind to see some of the responses in the "least played systems" threads. People talking about N64 or PSX being their first system. Some of my absolute favorite games are from generations these kids couldn't give a fuck less about. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just crazy to me.
Oh that's nothing. If youre 18 the Xbox 360 came out when you were 9, so that's many up and coming adults' first console.

Yeah, I had a Colecovision back in 1983 or so. I was 19.

Buck Rogers was so much better on the CV than it was on the Atari 5200. Loved that freakin' game. Sorry. Tangent.

woodypop

Yeah, I had a Colecovision back in 1983 or so. I was 19.

Buck Rogers was so much better on the CV than it was on the Atari 5200. Loved that freakin' game. Sorry. Tangent.
Was that the Planet of Zoom one? A friend of mine had a Colecovision when we were kids. Got to play a lot of games, but never did get to play that particular one. I loved looking at screenshots though.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Here's a little tidbit for collectors that I recently learned. There are three variants of Silent Hill. The regular/common copy, the greatest hits release, and a "shiny" version that was only available to those that purchased it day one.

group.jpg

There is not difference in price between the two versions. This is mostly because people are not aware of the variation.

That's actually really cool. I have the shiny version, and now that I think about it, I did purchase it day one. Scared the bejeebus outta me, and it still does, actually. I have it on my Vita now.

Teknoman

That's actually really cool. I have the shiny version, and now that I think about it, I did purchase it day one. Scared the bejeebus outta me, and it still does, actually. I have it on my Vita now.

News to me. I need to check my copy now. Also agree on Legaia battle system. I havent played it since renting it back in the day, but i remember being impressed with the battle system and battle graphics.

televator

^In the Hunt?

That's the one! Thanks a lot. You'd think I'd remember it since I'm... em... in the hunt for it. derp. lol

I had two "shiny" SH1s. I sold one here. It's important to keep in mind that "shiny" is a bit of a misstatement. It's actually more like a graphite effect and it's not going to immediately stand out unless you compare it to a non-shiny cover.

TnK

The PSX was my first system, and I got that when I was 8. Played the SNES and Genesis at my cousins' house from time to time before that though. I remember telling my dad that I wanted the SNES instead of a PSX back then. I fee old, lol.
One of the reasons I bought a SNES and am playing the games.

Problem is the kids that grew up on the 360/ps3. I feel that they REALLY missed out on the best gaming generations.

Wow I never knew about the Silent Hill variant either. Looked it up online, found a better picture.

jC6Ny2q.jpg

Oh, and I had to dig out my copy and check. I have the shiny one, yay.

Oh, and apparently there's a similar variation with Star Ocean: Second Story. Though I haven't dug that one up yet.

Edit: Found the Star Ocean variants. Just disc art differences.

The PSX was my first system, and I got that when I was 8. Played the SNES and Genesis at my cousins' house from time to time before that though. I remember telling my dad that I wanted the SNES instead of a PSX back then. I fee old, lol.
One of the reasons I bought a SNES and am playing the games.

Problem is the kids that grew up on the 360/ps3. I feel that they REALLY missed out on the best gaming generations.

They missed out on the transition from 2D to 3D games. Going from the 8/16-bit consoles and on to the 3D capable ones in the 32/64 bit generation.

I wonder how younger gamers view 2D games, they have become populart again. But i wonder how they look at them, for me it's like: "this is how gaming used to be".

DuncanR2N

Neo Member
They missed out on the transition from 2D to 3D games. Going from the 8/16-bit consoles and on to the 3D capable ones in the 32/64 bit generation.

I wonder how younger gamers view 2D games, they have become populart again. But i wonder how they look at them, for me it's like: "this is how gaming used to be".

It's not just kids. I have a few adult friends whose first consoles where the PS3/X360. They have no frame of reference when I refer to older games. For the most part, they won't even look at anything PS2 era or before because it's not HD with 5.1 sound.

I have my SNES, N64, and PS1 (as well as newer consoles) hooked to my 50", love dem pixels!

fred

The PS1 was fantastic, I'll never forget me and my mate playing Resident Evil together and both of us nearly soiling ourselves when
that bloody dog jumped through that bloody window
lol

i managed to secure some copies of crash bandicoot 1, 2 and 3 all signed by the co founder of Naughty Dog, Andy Gavin.

IMG_7561.jpg

will get more pictures of my ps1 collection when i get the chance

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh that's nothing. If youre 18 the Xbox 360 came out when you were 9, so that's many up and coming adults' first console.

Wow. Yeah, my brain really can't wrap my head around this. I was 6 when the NES came out in 1985, so it's really hard for me to imagine the Xbox 360 being someone's first console. Lol. Man, how that must shape expectations for gaming.

Because I grew up with games that looked like squares and blips on a screen, seeing how far gaming has evolved in the 30 years I've been a gamer has been quite a thing to see. Each new console generation better than the last, with so much promise and hope. I'm not one of the cynical, jaded gamers that thinks things have gone downhill. I think gaming is in a fantastic place right now content wise. It's expanded beyond my wildest dreams, and there is room for everything from big blockbusters, to the small indies, to mobile gaming. It's pretty impressive when you wade through all the bullshit and negativity.

Picked up all of these over the last few days for about 4 euro's for the lot, all are complete except for FF8 wich is missing a manual. I'm really excited to play Spider-Man again, played it as a kid but lost the game ages ago.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Final verdict: is Dino Crisis worth playing?

Yes, though I'd probably go with the Dreamcast version of DC1, rather than the PS1 version.

DC2 got a PC port that was passable, but it doesn't add anything to it or look any better... I'd stick to the PS1 version.

Top Bottom