• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

LOL at dat Wild Arms

Took me forever to beat the 5-2 boss in Klonoa. I suck at platformers but it literally took me probably 10 or so tries to beat it.

Teknoman

I wonder if Gamestop would have/allow customers to pay for a buffer?

Game Crazy used to (they'd buff any used game you bought in the store if you werent satisfied) but I dont think Gamestop ever had buffers? I mean they take in any scratched discs for a refurb, so I know theres a way to get this thing to work lol.

That and I dont want to admit that I let 30 bucks go down the drain if I cant get it to work.

TnK

tumblr_myq04vlq3w1t5dplko1_400.gif
LOL!
I bought CTR from PSN and yikes the framerate is not what I remembered it to be.
What is the framerate? Not constant 30? Haven't played the game since it came out.

Zing

Banned
CTR does feel low framerate at first, coming off of modern racing games and even old games like Mario Kart 64, but honestly, after playing it a bit, I don't even notice.

Teknoman

the game works now?

Yup, took it to 3D Games, they used one of those higher grade buffers (looks like a box) and now (so far) it works perfectly. Skullmonkeys music on the other hand still skips / cuts out in 2-1, but hey...MML2 works and thats all that matters.

TnK

Congrats Teknoman, and enjoy MML2. Are there a lot of loading sounds, or sounds in general from the psx/ps2? If yes, that is not good for the laser.
Cause I am happy that I own these:

I just realized that the game case is really beat up, and does MML2 cover look a bit yellow?
Where can I get more cases.

EDIT: I played some omega boost from my 14/15 year old copy. Still a fun game to this day, and I actually became better in it compared to when I was a kid.

Debating where to ask this but this seems the most appropriate place. Found my old PSP 1000 tonight, haven't used it for years, downloaded the original MSG, load it up and its performance is a mess. The frame rate grounds to a halt every 10 seconds, dialogue repeats itself, I think I (unfortunately) already know the answer to this but is this common or is my PSP crapped out over years of inactivity?

Teknoman

Congrats Teknoman, and enjoy MML2. Are there a lot of loading sounds, or sounds in general from the psx/ps2? If yes, that is not good for the laser.

I just realized that the game case is really beat up, and does MML2 cover look a bit yellow?

EDIT: I played some omega boost from my 14/15 year old copy. Still a fun game to this day, and I actually became better in it compared to when I was a kid.

I havent tried either on my ps2 yet. Quick test on ps3 since i was pressed for time.

I need Tron Bonne. D:

Debating where to ask this but this seems the most appropriate place. Found my old PSP 1000 tonight, haven't used it for years, downloaded the original MSG, load it up and its performance is a mess. The frame rate grounds to a halt every 10 seconds, dialogue repeats itself, I think I (unfortunately) already know the answer to this but is this common or is my PSP crapped out over years of inactivity?

What's MSG? Mobile Suit Gundam?

Anyway that doesn't sound common at all.

I'm lucky to still have my original mml 1 and 2 from back at release.

I bought tron bonne for $7.50 at a sears clearance bin in like 2003, lol. Sold it for like $50 not long after.

Rebought it 2 years ago at Midwest gaming classic for $140, its even more expensive now, I think.

The original has to be my favorite blind purchase ever. I loved it and stayed up late playing it for a few nights in a row until I finished it.

Getting MML2 was one of my favorite finds. I started getting serious about collecting back in 2008 or so, so I was on eBay trying to pick up cheap stuff all the time. I came across a misspelled auction for complete copies of all of the PS1 Mega Man games (8, X4, X5, X6, Japanese copy of DASH, Legends, Legends 2, and Misadventures of Tron Bonne) that was ending pretty soon. Luckily, I managed to snipe it at the last second and won for a total of around $26 shipped. Now, even though these games weren't as valuable as they are now (MML was going for about $7 for a complete black label copy, MML2 was around $45, and Tron Bonne was in the $90 range), I knew I had scored a really great deal.

Two weeks later and the package had never showed up. I contacted the seller and he was really spotty when it came to communication and he assured me that he was looking into it. I got really discouraged at that point--I figured that he realized that his stuff sold for WAY under what it was worth and that he was pulling the "oops, package got lost, let me just refund you" thing so he could relist the games and get a considerably larger amount of money for them. Luckily, I was just freaking out and the package showed up about a week later--turns out he had put down the wrong ZIP code.

Definitely not my best find when it comes to pure monetary value, but it's definitely one of my more memorable ones simply because of the situation and how much I loved the games.

Holy wow, what an insane deal.

I've been watching this for a long time, hoping to find a disc only of MML2, but here is a replacement case for it. (Just realized it is a replica, sorry if that changes anything for you.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141307096666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

Credo

Seeing that copy of Tron Bonne reminds me that I need to find a replacement case for mine that will hold the game disc and the demo disc. The case got crushed in the mail, and the seller wouldn't consider a return. I haven't been able to find a replacement case just like it. All the normal-sized cases that hold 2 discs look white and plastic or strange in some other way.

TnK

I need Tron Bonne. D:
I actually bought it from a member here. If you lurk in the BST thread, you may find it there for a good deal.
I've been watching this for a long time, hoping to find a disc only of MML2, but here is a replacement case for it. (Just realized it is a replica, sorry if that changes anything for you.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141307096666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661
Thanks. All the other stuff are excellent, so I just need a replacement jewel case.
I hope you get a good MML2 deal though.

Seeing that copy of Tron Bonne reminds me that I need to find a replacement case for mine that will hold the game disc and the demo disc. The case got crushed in the mail, and the seller wouldn't consider a return. I haven't been able to find a replacement case just like it. All the normal-sized cases that hold 2 discs look white and plastic or strange in some other way.
Assuming the other stuff are OK, I found this on amazon. Could fix your problem, and also mine.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ROGD4E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Khaz

Is there a list of PAL-optimised PS1 games somewhere? I mean games running in 50Hz and 576 lines but with the same speed and aspect ratio as the original Japanese or American game? I know they were plenty on the Saturn but I can't find a similar list for the Playstation.

All I have is someone suspecting that games made by European developers may have the proper speed and aspect ratio in PAL-land (and incidentally may play too fast on NTSC if not optimised either). All I can say is that the PAL Saturn version of Tomb Raider plays at the same speed as the computer version, so he may have a point.

I'm quite new on the Playstation, even if I had a PS2 I never really looked at the previous generation. Given there is no frequency switch mod on Playstations (everything is done via software), I can't really buy PAL games blindly and switch it to 60Hz if it happens not to be optimised. I just hope I won't have to import everything from the USA, this hobby is already too expensive.

Mzo

Is RE2 Dual Shock version cheap? I think it uses the same case. I'd check but I'm out of the country.

Just picked up Spiderman and Spiderman 2: Enter Electro

While the first game is as great as I remember (best iteration of Venom lol) it was my first time with the 2nd and I was bitterly disappointed. It was a big step back in gameplay, performance, and story. It had very clunky platforming and I actually played it first. The controls in the first one were better and the swinging and such were all smoother. I don't know how Activision took so many steps backwards lol

Just picked up Spiderman and Spiderman 2: Enter Electro

While the first game is as great as I remember (best iteration of Venom lol) it was my first time with the 2nd and I was bitterly disappointed. It was a big step back in gameplay, performance, and story. It had very clunky platforming and I actually played it first. The controls in the first one were better and the swinging and such were all smoother. I don't know how Activision took so many steps backwards lol

The first was developed by Neversoft and the second was done by Vicarious Visions. Explains it all really.

mltplkxr

The CD's make good coasters, yes. But they are great to hang outside and scare the birds. What's even better is the manuals are great fire starters. We keep them by the fire place and just rip out a couple pages every time we need to start a fire. So many pages! We even keep a manual or two in the trailer for when we go camping. The plastic cases take too much space and so we just threw them out.

CTR does feel low framerate at first, coming off of modern racing games and even old games like Mario Kart 64, but honestly, after playing it a bit, I don't even notice.

I noticed no difference between psn download and ps1 game although i've bever been fps savy

TnK

Keep Xenogears, and give the rest to me.

14613606981_44809491d6_z.jpg

This is the latest batch of games I bought over the past week.
Omega Boost, Tenchu 2, Rayman 2, and Herc's Adventures? I am reminded that I need to buy certain PS1 games, all of them are good. Not too sure about the other games.

Even if Xenogears ran out of money at disc 2 (I didn't notice, I thought they referenced Evangelion), it is still my all time favorite JRPG with FFIX.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Top Bottom