• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Zing

Banned
I don't know what a z-buffer is, but that shit is beautiful looking.
A z buffer is basically a list of numbers storing the "depth" of each pixel on screen. It tells the hardware how "far away" each pixel is from the viewpoint.

I've always heard that the PSone lacked "perspective correction". I wasn't aware this was due to a lack of z buffer.

Teknoman

Is this the first time EU has outdone NA with angry box art?

mickeyswildadventue-PS1b.jpg

baphomet

Just played through the first few hours of threads of fate tonight.

What a great looking and playing game. How did I never know of this until it was posted in some thread on here. Seriously probably one of the best looking games from the 32-64 bit generation. Not to mention it actually manages to be funny in some parts.

IrishNinja

^i had that one for a very short time (and like many, with the OST too), was debating getting it back - lemme know if it holds up as you continue with it!

Leynos

Just played through the first few hours of threads of fate tonight.

What a great looking and playing game. How did I never know of this until it was posted in some thread on here. Seriously probably one of the best looking games from the 32-64 bit generation. Not to mention it actually manages to be funny in some parts.

For some reason, I seem to remember that Threads of Fate (Dew Prism) was supposed to be a sort-of sequel to Brave Fencer Musashi. Is there any truth to this?

For some reason, I seem to remember that Threads of Fate (Dew Prism) was supposed to be a sort-of sequel to Brave Fencer Musashi. Is there any truth to this?

Same team and similar gameplay. Completely different stories though. Threads of Fate is amazing, one of the better PS1 games for sure... it improves a lot over Musashi.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Not a PS1 exclusive but this game still looks good.

iKTISRVfSi2lG.gif

PowerSlave btw.
Classic game. Really fun, especially backtracking with new abilities. On the Saturn with the 3D controller... just awesome. I did not enjoy the PS1 version nearly as much.

Leynos

Same team and similar gameplay. Completely different stories though. Threads of Fate is amazing, one of the better PS1 games for sure... it improves a lot over Musashi.

Hmm, I'll have to pick it up then. Threads of Fate is one of those games that I intended to buy, but never did.

Atruvius

Is this the first time EU has outdone NA with angry box art?

mickeyswildadventue-PS1b.jpg

This was my first PS1 game and I have never fully completed it. It so damn hard and you have to play it on the hardest difficulty to be able to access all the levels and it doesn't support memory card. :(

Atruvius

Kula_World_2.jpg

kula world...only played a demo of this game back in the day

1296084-overboard.jpg

another fun one Overboard

I really liked the demo of both those games but I could never find them at stores. Now I have lost the demo disc that had those games, I sometimes look for it but have never found it. :(

G-Fex

This one has been on my backlog for too long. It looks brilliant. How does it hold up to PS1 Doom?

oh they're pretty different.

Powerslave like jvm above said, has these abilities and a bit of backtracking, not so much in the maze sense but in the area selection sort of like..metroid I suppose. Very fun stuff.

It holds up pretty darn well.

Sweet, those are all good things. I like the Egyptian theme too.

I've been reading old EGM issues lately and there's a surprisingly large amount of titles in the PS1 backcatalog that I've forgotten about and now plan on coming back to. Love the 32 bit era

Powerslave was my favorite 32bit FPS. Like others have mentioned, replaying levels to get at new areas is a blast. You should definitely play it. I preferred it on Saturn over PS1 though.

I really liked the demo of both those games but I could never find them at stores. Now I have lost the demo disc that had those games, I sometimes look for it but have never found it. :(
yeah I only had the demo disc of these games but i have both now

kula world on psn and overboard i bought online

Oh you guys. I'm getting nostalgic for PSone games now.

I generally don't even think about collecting for systems with moving parts and ridiculously sensitive discs.

oldmario

This might be a weird question to ask but does anyone know of any places still selling the custom shells for either PS1 or PSone? i've tried looking and i can't find any apart from an orange one on ebay, looking for a seller preferably in the uk and crystal shells

Just finished Klonoa.

DAMN, what a fantastic game. It was definitely challenging but in all the right ways, never to the point where it was too frustrating. So much of this game depends on timing, so most of the problems I had were when I was just too impatient. I have the Wii remake but I think that this one looks so much better visually--I just don't think you can beat the 2D sprites with the 3D environments. The Wii character models just look so soulless.

Just finished Klonoa.

DAMN, what a fantastic game. It was definitely challenging but in all the right ways, never to the point where it was too frustrating. So much of this game depends on timing, so most of the problems I had were when I was just too impatient. I have the Wii remake but I think that this one looks so much better visually--I just don't think you can beat the 2D sprites with the 3D environments. The Wii character models just look so soulless.
I agree that the PS1 visuals are better. Such charm.

Great stuff. I'm almost finished with Doom on the PS1 so it's next on my list. Is there any reason for preferring the Saturn version over the PS1? If the Saturn version is superior, I'll hit up eBay later

The frame rate was smoother if I recall. The ps1 version is no slouch though so don't let platform sway you too much. It's a great game on both platforms. Plus it's a long box on ps1 so it gets bonus points.

The only reason I even played it on Saturn is because it was easier to find when I went to eBay. I originally played the ps1 version and loved it. Hopefully you have better luck!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just finished Klonoa.

Yep definitely agree. The Wii game was fun and a worthwhile game in its own right, but the original is the way to go here imo.

ascii42

The frame rate was smoother if I recall. The ps1 version is no slouch though so don't let platform sway you too much. It's a great game on both platforms. Plus it's a long box on ps1 so it gets bonus points.

The only reason I even played it on Saturn is because it was easier to find when I went to eBay. I originally played the ps1 version and loved it. Hopefully you have better luck!

Saturn framerate looks pretty terrible if this video comparison is any indication.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This is truly OT at this point, so I apologize.

- Saturn Powerslave framerate is comparable to PS1, in my opinion, but we're talking about at least 8 years since I've looked at either in person. I believe Ezra Dreisbach told me that when I interviewed him years ago.

- All three of Lobotomy Software's 3D shooters on the Saturn were quite well-regarded, I believe. They did a really great conversion of Duke 3D, with network functionality via the NetLink. They also did a custom port of Quake, with at least 3 exclusive levels, including one very fun one commonly referred to as the Ewok Village level, although that's just figurative. And they did Powerslave (called Exhumed on PC, or in Europe).

- It is my recollection that the PS1 Powerslave conversion does not have very good (or any?) analog controls, while the excellent 3D analog pad for the Saturn is truly awesome in all three of these shooters.

- The two console versions of Powerslave also have different secrets, but I think the Saturn version is superior there. I'd have to go back and check.

Let me Wayback Machine the interview.

Edit: Someone archived it here: http://www.gareth-jones.co.uk/2010/08/07/interview-ezra-dreisbach/

Edit 2: Original: https://web.archive.org/web/2006062...gamer.com/article.php?story=20021008212903265

where do you all usually get the games from online? I'm looking to get a few on disk, but don't want to spend an awful lot.
Tekken 2 and Dino Crisis 2 on PSN for 99 cents each was great though.

Renpatsu

d1hduMd.jpg

RRT4 came in the mail today after narrowly winning an auction and RRV I got for cheap in a similar scenario a few weeks ago. They're finally together!

I'm interested in picking up the remaining PlayStation Ridge Racer titles, but I don't really have a gauge for what they're currently going for. Do people have any recommendations or things I need to look out for?

(Will also be getting the NTSC releases later at some point)

Speaking of PS1, the winner of Ultra Street Fighter IV at Evolution 2014 used one of these:

552px-PSX-Original-Controller.jpg

Tell that to anyone who says the Saturn controller is superior, lol.

Speaking of PS1, the winner of Ultra Street Fighter IV at Evolution 2014 used one of these:

552px-PSX-Original-Controller.jpg

Haha! Luffy is the exception, not the rule.

Edit: Though I will say the PS1 original digital pad + InPin adapter is my go-to setup for my PC and Mac when I don't feel like dragging out my arcade stick.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dual Shocks literally give me pain when playing fighting games. Nobody can tell me that playing fighters on that is a good idea.

ascii42

Dual Shocks literally give me pain when playing fighting games. Nobody can tell me that playing fighters on that is a good idea.

Never had a problem, but I don't hold controllers the regular way when I play fighting games. I rest the right side on my leg and use my index and middle fingers to push the face buttons like I would on an arcade pad. Is that weird or common?

Zing

Banned
Wasn't the Japanese Saturn controller considered the best, or something? I remember playing Darkstalkers and some other games on the Saturn and the d-pad was nearly unusable to me. This was after being accustomed to the SNES and PlayStation controller.

Never had a problem, but I don't hold controllers the regular way when I play fighting games. I rest the right side on my leg and use my index and middle fingers to push the face buttons like I would on an arcade pad. Is that weird or common?
Back when I played a lot of Tekken, that is exactly how my friends and I held the controller. It allows you to press the buttons faster and in any combination.

Top Bottom