• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

ascii42

Wasn't the Japanese Saturn controller considered the best, or something? I remember playing Darkstalkers and some other games on the Saturn and the d-pad was nearly unusable to me. This was after being accustomed to the SNES and PlayStation controller.

Yeah, there's this one, which I believe is supposed to be the good one
Sega-Saturn-ControllerS.jpg

and this one, which is what I have:

Speaking of PS1, the winner of Ultra Street Fighter IV at Evolution 2014 used one of these:

552px-PSX-Original-Controller.jpg

Tell that to anyone who says the Saturn controller is superior, lol.
Was anyone else using a Saturn controller? Otherwise, bringing a controller fight into the picture is largely irrelevant, surely.

Wasn't the Japanese Saturn controller considered the best, or something? I remember playing Darkstalkers and some other games on the Saturn and the d-pad was nearly unusable to me. This was after being accustomed to the SNES and PlayStation controller.
There are two types of Saturn controllers. The first is a West-only bulky thing, the "Model 1" controller (as it was bundled with early Model 1 Saturns); IIRC, its D-Pad is... less than stellar. The second, on the other hand, is the original Japanese controller, or the "Model 2" controller in the West (as it was bundled with all Model 2 Saturns), whose D-Pad, frankly, has yet to be topped (disclaimer: I haven't really tried the Vita out).

...so basically, what ascii42 said.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Never had a problem, but I don't hold controllers the regular way when I play fighting games. I rest the right side on my leg and use my index and middle fingers to push the face buttons like I would on an arcade pad. Is that weird or common?

The issue is with the d-pad. Because the spaces in the cross on the dual-shock, the middle of your thumb is constantly having to deal with the elevation change, so it can catch on the sides as you are traveling your thumb around. Specifically when doing things like fireball or dragon punch motions.

The end result is that you can have some serious pain start to build in your thumb. I never got blisters per se, but what I did get was a constant dull pain that could turn sharp if you touched my thumb in a certain place. I can only presume that somebody who plays on a dual shock at that high of a level must have developed an epic thumb callous, because I don't see how it could be done otherwise.

Meanwhile, the Saturn d-pad is essentially a circle with no major elevation changes, and works more with a rocking motion. That makes it incredible for fighting games.

Teknoman

The first two were amazing. The first tenchu as janky as i'm sure it is now, was the first time I felt like an actual ninja in a game and not just a stylistic action guy

You and me both my friend!

Believe it or not, I just decided I need to start from the ground floor with the series, from just spending a few minutes (literally) with Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven. The music, grappling on a roof, then pulling an unsuspecting guard up in the air and ending him. I mean I like ninjas, I like stealth, unique soundtracks, and it seems like the games dip into mythological territory too.

d1hduMd.jpg

RRT4 came in the mail today after narrowly winning an auction and RRV I got for cheap in a similar scenario a few weeks ago. They're finally together!

I'm interested in picking up the remaining PlayStation Ridge Racer titles, but I don't really have a gauge for what they're currently going for. Do people have any recommendations or things I need to look out for?

(Will also be getting the NTSC releases later at some point)

I bought all the Ridge Racers last year (PAL versions) and they didn't go for very much on ebay. Finding Ridge Racer 1 and Revolution in good condition is another, especially if you are avoiding the Platinum range ones.

Renpatsu

I bought all the Ridge Racers last year (PAL versions) and they didn't go for very much on ebay. Finding Ridge Racer 1 and Revolution in good condition is another, especially if you are avoiding the Platinum range ones.
In terms of gameplay the title I'm looking out for next is Rage Racer. Compared to Ridge Racer and Ridge Racer Revolution that one seems to be far more elusive in a nice condition without a huge markup (Most of the listings I see are Japanese copies from France?).

In terms of gameplay the title I'm looking out for next is Rage Racer. Compared to Ridge Racer and Ridge Racer Revolution that one seems to be far more elusive in a nice condition without a huge markup (Most of the listings I see are Japanese copies from France?).

Yeah, I did something collector's will hate with Rage Racer, to get a one in good condition:

I bought two copies, and combined the best parts from both :O

Speaking of PS1, the winner of Ultra Street Fighter IV at Evolution 2014 used one of these:

552px-PSX-Original-Controller.jpg

Tell that to anyone who says the Saturn controller is superior, lol.

I'm just impressed/curious that EVO allows for such liberty in controller usage, are there any restrictions? (Of course I'd assume there'd be some sort of anti-mod rule or some means of a potential "hacked stick, right?)

Also
your avatar is devolving everytime I see it lol.

I'm really curious about the adapter Louffy used, because from what people tell me, the etokki adapter that everyone on SRK recommends doesn't work with the non-analog PS controller.

AFAIK, Evo staff can refuse controllers at their discretion. Programmable macro controllers for example wouldn't be allowed.

I'm just impressed/curious that EVO allows for such liberty in controller usage, are there any restrictions? (Of course I'd assume there'd be some sort of anti-mod rule or some means of a potential "hacked stick, right?)

Also
your avatar is devolving everytime I see it lol.

I was reading through this while EVO was on, explains all the rules reading adapters and such.
http://evo.shoryuken.com/f-a-q/

I was amazed that a PSX controller was in use at all, would have needed a weird adapter to get that thing working on a 360!

bPod

Does anyone have any tips or tricks trying to get this sticker adhesive off without damaging the disc's surface. I am afraid if I try to peel it off, it will take the artwork with it

So thanks to Power Shovel I'm now on a PS1 game kick. Finally catalogued all of my current collection since I couldn't remember if I owned Omega Boost or not (do, apparently) and pulled out some titles for a nostalgia trip last night. Picked up Apocalypse the other day for $3 and found it to be pretty great, for a mindless twin stick shooter anyway. Trap Gunner is in the mail for my next multiplayer night, and I'm currently compiling a list of wacky fringe games that I missed out on back in the day.

A few questions for people more informed on PS1 stuff:

I've always wanted to own a copy of D, but can't decide on the system. There should be any gameplay differences between the Saturn and PS1 versions, right? The Saturn version seems to be more plentiful/cheaper with two discs while the PS1 version has 3 discs and is harder to find, but those are the only differences I can discern. It being an FMV game I can't imagine there's a huge gap in performance.

My copy of Strider 2 has 2 on 1's disc and vice versa. IIRC they're all like that, right?

Is Fox Hunt worth tracking down? We love to play so-bad-they're-good games and this looks perfect, but it is a little spendy for a joke title.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks trying to get this sticker adhesive off without damaging the disc's surface. I am afraid if I try to peel it off, it will take the artwork with it

I wouldn't try anything and just live with it. Tried to remove an almost identical sticker from X-Men COTA years ago and ended up with a rectangular hole in the disc art.

pottuvoi

Banned
A z buffer is basically a list of numbers storing the "depth" of each pixel on screen. It tells the hardware how "far away" each pixel is from the viewpoint.

I've always heard that the PSone lacked "perspective correction". I wasn't aware this was due to a lack of z buffer.
It isn't, this is false information that seems to pop-up when people talk about ps1 emulation.

Problems that caused ps1 unsteady graphics.

- Lack of Perspective correction.
Causes incorrect UVW interpolation, affects creates warping textures, vertex colour, z-buffer etc.
http://chrishecker.com/Miscellaneous_Technical_Articles

- Lack of Sub-pixel correction.
Causes polygon vertexes jumping from pixel center to pixel center. (Whole polygons jitter, very visible with textures.)
http://scalibq.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/just-keeping-it-real-part-5/

- Lack of Z-Buffer
Polygons cannot be properly sorted per-pixel basis from back to front.
Sorting must be done in polygon level and this causes many problems like whole polygons appearing/disappearing into a ground etc.
http://web.cse.ohio-state.edu/~crawfis/cse581/Slides/cse581_17_HiddenSurface.ppt (.PPT)

Sad to say but I agree with Dr. BlackJack. Stickers that have been on discs since PSX days aren't coming off cleanly. I've never got one off without damaging the disc.

Is Fox Hunt worth tracking down? We love to play so-bad-they're-good games and this looks perfect, but it is a little spendy for a joke title.

I love Fox Hunt (and Psychic Detective) but it can get super frustrating at points. I got my copy for pretty cheap but I'd still say it's worth it. Even though it might not be the most solid game, it's worth picking up simply because it's one of the more legitimately scarce games on the system, IMO.

Worse than taking the artwork with it, removing it could mess up the disc data. I sadly ruined a disc of The Silver Star for Sega CD when I removed a small piece of Scotch tape that the seller had put over the middle in its case to try to keep it in place during shipping.

I have several PS1 games I bought from Hollywood Video when they were still around and selling out their PS1 games that are plastered with their sticker entirely over the discs that have served as my playable copies until better copies could be found.

For those rental stickers, wouldn't using a hair dryer help?

Maybe, but it could mess up the disc if it gets too hot. Also, that's a foil sticker, which are the biggest PITA to remove safely with any method. It's better to just deal with it.

Got my complete copy of A-Train in the mail today, and to my surprise there was a minty King's Field manual in the case too! Then I got sad because I remembered trading in my copy of KFII for peanuts years ago. Stupid 2008 me.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member

I've recently found black label Revolution in very good condition, apart from a bit of chipping on the top of the case (can be easily replaced).
The disc has just a couple of very light scratches and the manual is in mint condition.
Found it for £1 at a car boot sale/flea market.

Would it be worth getting a PAL to NTSC converter for my TV to play the European versions of Gunner's Heaven and Vib Ribbon? The latter especially, my kids are obsessed with videos of it.

I started a LTTHG thread about this game but it didn't go over very well so I thought I'd post it here too.

The HG is for hidden gem, and that describes one of the games that's been sitting in my backlog for quite awhile: The Divide: Enemies Within, and I must say I'm glad I finally popped it in. Developed for the PC and PS1 by Canadian developer Radical Entertainment back in 1996, this is basically an early 3D homage to Super Metroid. Surprisingly that is what appears to be the thing that reviewers hated about it at the time of its release, but now almost 20 years later it serves the game very well.

WShf8Dz.png
Y3A5V8T.png

Sure, the graphics aren't all that hot (as you should expect of such an early 3D game), but otherwise this an extremely solid sci-fi exploration game with enough going on to make it very satisfying to play. You play the pilot of a mech who was stranded on an alien world, frozen for an unknown period of time, only to awake to find your partner is missing and your mech damaged. You'll have to find parts such as energy tanks, armor, and so on scattered throughout the environment just like you do in Metroid. Thankfully the game uses a very simple camera set-up, so even though you do quite a bit of platforming and shooting it's never too difficult to line things up.

Up7O4fq.png
gWqSiZI.png

And speaking of Metroid, The Divide also features a pretty good ambient soundtrack that is highly reminiscent of the atmospheric soundscape of its inspiration. It also has a map layout that intertwines, with new areas gradually becoming accessible as you regain your mech's equipment. Granted, it's not quite how I would imagine an N64 version of Metroid to look and play, but it uses the Metroidvania formula very successfully considering we didn't see many of these sorts of games during that generation.

2TNpAr4.png
kGgc19i.png

I'm only a couple hours in, but the game has certainly grabbed my interest despite its technical limitations. I had a slight hiccup near the start where I didn't realize certain blocks could be destroyed with bombs, but otherwise it has been designed well enough that I haven't had too much trouble progressing. The best part is, despite being what I would consider a hidden gem, it has actually remained hidden all this time (no LPs on YouTube despite it being a short game, and there isn't even a FAQ on GameFAQs) so picking up a copy is still very cheap! So if you're fan of Metroid or that style of game, you should definitely seek it out for your PS1 collection.

Here's a great article about it on Hardcore Gaming 101 with an interview with one of its developers.

Video showing the game's opening tutorial level and first area (YouTube)

If the graphics don't immediately turn you off and you give the game a chance, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Playing it now it almost feels like something an indie developer would make today to capitalize on basic 3d graphics and nostalgia for Metroid-like games.

I think I'm on the last boss now and while some of the platforming has been a bit annoying (though no unintentionally so), I have enjoyed it. I'm only about 4 hours in with quite a bit of inefficient backtracking to try and collect all the upgrades.

Leynos

There was a thread about The Divide: Enemies Within not too long ago (probably yours) that piqued my interest, so I went and got the game. I got about an hour in, then stopped. The controls aren't so hot, and aiming at airborne enemies is a pain in the ass. Maybe I'll give it another go.

There was a thread about The Divide: Enemies Within not too long ago (probably yours) that piqued my interest, so I went and got the game. I got about an hour in, then stopped. The controls aren't so hot, and aiming at airborne enemies is a pain in the ass. Maybe I'll give it another go.

It takes a little while to get used to it, and they don't give you the jumping ability for awhile, but I'd say stick with it. It's only like 5 hours long.

Zing

Banned
Is the framerate really as low as it appears in that YouTube video? The first part is fine, but the second part is running at like 10fps.

Edit: based on the interview and the discussion of the framerate, I assume it really is that low. It seems they used a relatively high number of polygons.

Mercutio

I hadn't been really actively collecting PS1 stuff, but I think that just changed after a yardsale this weekend.

For $15, I got:

Saga Frontier
Xevious 3D/G+
Crash 2
Crash 3
Legacy of Kain Blood Omen
Contra (the one that had 3D Glasses? What?)

All complete in their cases, with no damage.

Is the framerate really as low as it appears in that YouTube video? The first part is fine, but the second part is running at like 10fps.

Edit: based on the interview and the discussion of the framerate, I assume it really is that low. It seems they used a relatively high number of polygons.

Hm, I don't feel like it's gotten to the point of being unplayable or anything. You do notice the frame rate jumps after you've killed all the enemies in an area, though.

Renpatsu

Yeah, I did something collector's will hate with Rage Racer, to get a one in good condition:

I bought two copies, and combined the best parts from both :O
NVI9Jqr.jpg

In a case of serendipitous luck I was browsing online a few days ago as I am wont to do when I came across a fresh listing for a like new CIB Rage Racer for only $8AUD (Coincidentally another Tasmanian seller like when I found my RR Type 4) so I snatched that up without any deliberation and it arrived today.

vireland

Freeze spray, aka dusters in a can. Get one of the cans of compressed air with the little tube that directs the flow. Shake it. Turn it upside down and direct it at the sticker in little bursts from about 4 inches away. Hit it, stop. Wait until it turns white. Repeat a few times. Don't let the frost get too thick. Get under a corner of the sticker with your fingernail, and pry it gently. Hit it with the cold again a few times if it's not coming up. Once it gets cold enough, the adhesive should fail abruptly and detach from the plastic of the sticker, leaving the sticky security tape alone. Let it warm back up to room temperature by itself (don't force it with blow dryers or hot water) and then use goo gone (NOT Goof Off - totally different products) to remove the sticky residue.

I prefer the gel goo gone, myself:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goo-Gone-Remover-Spray-Gel-12-fl-oz/13432555

Freeze spray, aka dusters in a can. Get one of the cans of compressed air with the little tube that directs the flow. Shake it. Turn it upside down and direct it at the sticker in little bursts from about 4 inches away. Hit it, stop. Wait until it turns white. Repeat a few times. Don't let the frost get too thick. Get under a corner of the sticker with your fingernail, and pry it gently. Hit it with the cold again a few times if it's not coming up. Once it gets cold enough, the adhesive should fail abruptly and detach from the plastic of the sticker, leaving the sticky security tape alone. Let it warm back up and then use goo gone (NOT Goof Off - totally different products) to remove the sticky residue.

IMO it's not worth the risk. You WILL toast the game if you fail. Just leave the sticker on and avoid buying games with stickers if at all possible.

Top Bottom