• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

What risk. This method has worked perfectly every time.

What if he fucks it up? It's his first time. Personally I wouldn't want to risk doing it unless it was a very inexpensive game. If done incorrectly it will ruin the disc permanently. (On closer inspection, it looks like a copy of Street Fighter Alpha 2 or something, probably not that expensive).

vireland

What if he fucks it up? It's his first time. Personally I wouldn't want to risk doing it unless it was a very inexpensive game. If done incorrectly it will ruin the disc permanently.

If you're not patient or you rush it, *maybe*, but it's a pretty low-risk way to fix it. Probably the lowest out of all the possible fixes. It he/she thinks it's too dangerous or the disc is too expensive, then they'll just have to live with it.

vireland

What if he fucks it up? It's his first time. Personally I wouldn't want to risk doing it unless it was a very inexpensive game. If done incorrectly it will ruin the disc permanently. (On closer inspection, it looks like a copy of Street Fighter Alpha 2 or something, probably not that expensive).

Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, actually. Low risk - unlikely event of a complete loss is maybe $10-20?

Phediuk

I started a LTTHG thread about this game but it didn't go over very well so I thought I'd post it here too.

The HG is for hidden gem, and that describes one of the games that's been sitting in my backlog for quite awhile: The Divide: Enemies Within, and I must say I'm glad I finally popped it in. Developed for the PC and PS1 by Canadian developer Radical Entertainment back in 1996, this is basically an early 3D homage to Super Metroid. Surprisingly that is what appears to be the thing that reviewers hated about it at the time of its release, but now almost 20 years later it serves the game very well.

WShf8Dz.png
Y3A5V8T.png

Sure, the graphics aren't all that hot (as you should expect of such an early 3D game), but otherwise this an extremely solid sci-fi exploration game with enough going on to make it very satisfying to play. You play the pilot of a mech who was stranded on an alien world, frozen for an unknown period of time, only to awake to find your partner is missing and your mech damaged. You'll have to find parts such as energy tanks, armor, and so on scattered throughout the environment just like you do in Metroid. Thankfully the game uses a very simple camera set-up, so even though you do quite a bit of platforming and shooting it's never too difficult to line things up.

Up7O4fq.png
gWqSiZI.png

And speaking of Metroid, The Divide also features a pretty good ambient soundtrack that is highly reminiscent of the atmospheric soundscape of its inspiration. It also has a map layout that intertwines, with new areas gradually becoming accessible as you regain your mech's equipment. Granted, it's not quite how I would imagine an N64 version of Metroid to look and play, but it uses the Metroidvania formula very successfully considering we didn't see many of these sorts of games during that generation.

2TNpAr4.png
kGgc19i.png

I'm only a couple hours in, but the game has certainly grabbed my interest despite its technical limitations. I had a slight hiccup near the start where I didn't realize certain blocks could be destroyed with bombs, but otherwise it has been designed well enough that I haven't had too much trouble progressing. The best part is, despite being what I would consider a hidden gem, it has actually remained hidden all this time (no LPs on YouTube despite it being a short game, and there isn't even a FAQ on GameFAQs) so picking up a copy is still very cheap! So if you're fan of Metroid or that style of game, you should definitely seek it out for your PS1 collection.

Here's a great article about it on Hardcore Gaming 101 with an interview with one of its developers.

Video showing the game's opening tutorial level and first area (YouTube)

If the graphics don't immediately turn you off and you give the game a chance, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Playing it now it almost feels like something an indie developer would make today to capitalize on basic 3d graphics and nostalgia for Metroid-like games.

I think I'm on the last boss now and while some of the platforming has been a bit annoying (though no unintentionally so), I have enjoyed it. I'm only about 4 hours in with quite a bit of inefficient backtracking to try and collect all the upgrades.

Coincidentally, I just played this game yesterday and was considering a RTTP thread about it. I found it odd how obscure it was, considering the popularity of Metroid clones nowadays, but at the same time, The Divide is quite rough around the edges. Some of the platforming was fucking infuriating. I don't like how your mech has different jump heights depending on whether you're still or moving, and the death/reload system is very unforgiving.

cj_iwakura

Don't suppose anyone knows if another emulator besides ePSXe can run Serial Experiments Lain? I wanted to do videos of it, but Fraps doesn't work with ePSXe, only pSX.

Zing

Banned
It's relatively cheap now. I'd look for anything around $50-70.

To be honest, despite the seemingly universal praise, I didn't enjoy it. I'd have to really give it another try. It seems to be one of those games you have to really dive into and replay several times to get full satisfaction.

Yuterald

The Divide stuff...

I actually played this game for the first time about a half a year ago. I think I discovered this game relatively recently and myself and a buddy of mine ordered two copies. We more or less played the game simultaneously and really dug it for what it was worth. I love finding super obscure shit like this. It's definitely got Metroid written all over it. I actually managed to finish this game with 100% Item Rate too! Pretty gnar-bone.

NVI9Jqr.jpg

In a case of serendipitous luck I was browsing online a few days ago as I am wont to do when I came across a fresh listing for a like new CIB Rage Racer for only $8AUD (Coincidentally another Tasmanian seller like when I found my RR Type 4) so I snatched that up without any deliberation and it arrived today.

Nice find, looking good! Amazing games!

radaxian

I love that game.

Wish I could play it legally for under $150! If only there was a service for the digital delivery of PS1 classics playable on modern hardware...

It would be great to see a Kickstarter / Massdrop type service purely aimed at funding the release/re-release of classic titles once they achieved enough pre-commitment to make the economics work. I guess this is like what you've done with Class of Heroes 2 on PSP and now 2G for PS3.

My question is - why don't we see more of this? What are the barriers preventing a service that seeks to fund more of these based on pre-orders from consumers?

My guess would be that licensing / ownership is the main problem, or maybe even if the licensing would be simple there isn't enough interest from the owners in bothering with this scale of project (even with preorders covering the upfront outlay)?

I used to always wonder this about reprints of PS1 games and it seems even easier with the possibility of digital only releases. But it still doesn't happen, and yet we saw Sony release a bunch of untranslated PS1 games earlier this year.

ps - any spare PSN codes for COH2 PSP (got mine late from VGP)
pps - got any spare Lunar 2 printed manuals?

Teknoman

I actually played this game for the first time about a half a year ago. I think I discovered this game relatively recently and myself and a buddy of mine ordered two copies. We more or less played the game simultaneously and really dug it for what it was worth. I love finding super obscure shit like this. It's definitely got Metroid written all over it. I actually managed to finish this game with 100% Item Rate too! Pretty gnar-bone.

Soundtrack pretty cool? Or just ambiance?

Teknoman

In that case, I think i'll stick with the PSP version, seems like thats the best. I've had it for awhile, but I keep starting over lol.

Valkyrie Profile on the other hand, I just want to have since the PSP game seemed...blurry? Maybe i'm not remembering correctly.

Wereroku

In that case, I think i'll stick with the PSP version, seems like thats the best. I've had it for awhile, but I keep starting over lol.

Valkyrie Profile on the other hand, I just want to have since the PSP game seemed...blurry? Maybe i'm not remembering correctly.

The psp version is based off of the JP PS1 release which has a lot of weird things that make it play worse than the NA release. I don't know why they didn't use the NA release as the psp base. Also 50-70 for VP1 is on the really low edge for it I don't see it under 130 very often unless the prices have tanked recently.

As far as collecting goes, I just want to have all Final Fantasy games. From the original Final Fantasy in its case to where we are now.

Any idea how easy/difficult it would be to find this games in good to great condition (original cases and all)?

Teknoman

As far as collecting goes, I just want to have all Final Fantasy games. From the original Final Fantasy in its case to where we are now.

Any idea how easy/difficult it would be to find this games in good to great condition (original cases and all)?

I & II (Origins), IV(Chronicles), V & VI (Anthology), VIII & IX should be pretty cheap/easy to get. FFVII is probably going to run you 20-30 bucks no matter what. FFX through XII are cheap,

FF III, the only options you really have are getting a repro cart, a famicom cart translated, or buying the DS/PC/mobile remake. It gets a little trickier if you want to have EVERY version of the mainline series released though lol, but thats not really necessary.

Piggybacking off this question, anyone else know some SRPGs on PS1 that might have slipped through the cracks?

I've got:
Kartia
Final Fantasy Tactics

Looking at:
Saiyuki

FaintDeftone

I've been trying to beef up my gaming collection recently. I usually pick up a game or two with every paycheck. Last pay day I grabbed a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics which I STILL have not played. I'm going to go out again tonight and see what I can find. I would love a copy of the original Alundra, which I've been hunting down for awhile.

Wereroku

Piggybacking off this question, anyone else know some SRPGs on PS1 that might have slipped through the cracks?

I've got:
Kartia
Final Fantasy Tactics

Looking at:
Saiyuki

Vanguard Bandits, Vandal Hearts 1 & 2, and Brigandine are some I know off the top of my head.

Edit: I forgot Arc the Lad collection, Front Mission 3, and the Ogre games. So many good SRPGs on the ps1. I really recommend Bandits, Vandal Hearts, and Front Mission 3. I liked Arc collection but its just so freaking long since I played all the games in order.

Teknoman

Oh yeah, forgot i've got Arc the Lad collection as well.

I'll look into Vanguard Bandits, Vandal Hearts 1 & 2, and Brigandine. I know I want Front Mission 3.

Wereroku

Oh yeah, forgot i've got Arc the Lad collection as well.

I'll look into Vanguard Bandits, Vandal Hearts 1 & 2, and Brigandine

Brigandine is pricey but the others are pretty affordable. Vandal Hearts 2 is kind of crazy you and the enemy put in your turns and then everyone moves at the same time. So you can miss on hits super easy also its not as broken as Vandal Hearts 1. Vic could tell you more about Vanguard Bandits than me but it is a really fun game.

I & II (Origins), IV(Chronicles), V & VI (Anthology), VIII & IX should be pretty cheap/easy to get. FFVII is probably going to run you 20-30 bucks no matter what. FFX through XII are cheap,

FF III, the only options you really have are getting a repro cart, a famicom cart translated, or buying the DS/PC/mobile remake. It gets a little trickier if you want to have EVERY version of the mainline series released though lol, but thats not really necessary.
3 also came out on PSP if you want to keep it playstation.

Teknoman

Anyone have a back up place to print PS1 case inlays? The cover project has some, but i'm looking for the Strider back inlay, and they've only got DVD covers.

vireland

Wish I could play it legally for under $150! If only there was a service for the digital delivery of PS1 classics playable on modern hardware...

It would be great to see a Kickstarter / Massdrop type service purely aimed at funding the release/re-release of classic titles once they achieved enough pre-commitment to make the economics work. I guess this is like what you've done with Class of Heroes 2 on PSP and now 2G for PS3.

My question is - why don't we see more of this? What are the barriers preventing a service that seeks to fund more of these based on pre-orders from consumers?

My guess would be that licensing / ownership is the main problem, or maybe even if the licensing would be simple there isn't enough interest from the owners in bothering with this scale of project (even with preorders covering the upfront outlay)?

I used to always wonder this about reprints of PS1 games and it seems even easier with the possibility of digital only releases. But it still doesn't happen, and yet we saw Sony release a bunch of untranslated PS1 games earlier this year.

ps - any spare PSN codes for COH2 PSP (got mine late from VGP)
pps - got any spare Lunar 2 printed manuals?

Rights and licenses are the biggest problems with seemingly-easy PSN releases. Sometimes there are emulation issues that prevent release, too. It's way more complicated than it seems to do them. PS1 games are ANCIENT by game standards and there's been plenty of time for key people/licenses to lapse and or disappear.

Did Sony release those untranslated PSN games? Weren't most of them from Gungho? I know MonkeyPaw has done a bunch, too, but most of theirs don't really require knowledge of Japanese to play. The Gungho ones were head scratchers because they mostly required Japanese knowledge to play.

VGP was a lifesaver for a lot of people that missed the PSP presale completely, but yeah no codes. I've no CoH2 PSP codes to give out ATM. I *may* have some Lunar 2 manuals, still.

On a related note, the physical version Class of Heroes 2G PS3 with dual-screen play option closes in 2 days, BTW (Sunday night). After that, it's available digitally only.

Teknoman

Rights and licenses are the biggest problems with seemingly-easy PSN releases. Sometimes there are emulation issues that prevent release, too. It's way more complicated than it seems to do them. PS1 games are ANCIENT by game standards and there's been plenty of time for key people/licenses to lapse and or disappear.

Did Sony release those untranslated PSN games? Weren't most of them from Gungho? I know MonkeyPaw has done a bunch, too, but most of theirs don't really require knowledge of Japanese to play. The Gungho ones were head scratchers because they mostly required Japanese knowledge to play.

VGP was a lifesaver for a lot of people that missed the PSP presale completely, but yeah no codes. I've no CoH2 PSP codes to give out ATM. I *may* have some Lunar 2 manuals, still.

On a related note, the physical version Class of Heroes 2G PS3 with dual-screen play option closes in 2 days, BTW (Sunday night). After that, it's available digitally only.

When are you guys going to start shipping? After the orders close?

Yuterald

G5S8YRK.jpg

Got this in the mail the other day. Never played it before. About to boot it up for some old school Sat-night sessions. Probably one of the few odd-ball 3D platformers I've yet to play on PSone.

G5S8YRK.jpg

Got this in the mail the other day. Never played it before. About to boot it up for some old school Sat-night sessions. Probably one of the few odd-ball 3D platformers I've yet to play on PSone.

I remember seeing this in an old game magazine. I liked that flatshaded look even back then. How does it play?

Yuterald

I remember seeing this in an old game magazine. I liked that flatshaded look even back then. How does it play?

I just got done playing it a minute ago. Got to the final boss, actually. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the game, ha! First of all, it's a one-run/sitting game. Controls are simple (run, jump, and shoot) and it's entirely score-driven. Definitely not a collect-a-thon. You can collect new weapons/power ups that use a mana-like resource (gems) collected from destroyed enemies though. There are max-heart increase items which increase your maximum health capacity, but it's all entirely optional and only applicable to your current run. The game's definitely a precision platformer. Stages are obstacle course-like in nature and require tight jumps and such to proceed.

There are also no traditional lives, but from what I can tell you, are given infinite continues and you spawn at the exact same spot you died (which I'm not too hot on) with half health. There are no bosses other than a final boss, so your only goal is to reach a crystal at the end of the stage. What's sort of interesting is that these end-stage crystals flash different colors and depending on when you touch/grab the crystal you're transported to that corresponding world's color (forest area flashes green, lava world flashes red, etc.). So, you can tackle the stages in a non-linear fashion.

The final boss is really tough, but it's one of those final bosses where it's hard because there's hardly any hit-reaction or damage notification, so I couldn't even tell if I was hitting him or not. What's REALLY strange is that ONLY during the final boss (and final stage?) are you sent back to the stage prior to the final battle if you die while facing him. What's even more weird is that you lose a max-heart container in the process. The game continues to penalize you until you're out of hearts which then results in a forced game-over. Fucked up.

vireland

When are you guys going to start shipping? After the orders close?

No, we're making as many as we pre-sell, so the order can't be placed until the presale closes. We have things like dies and holograms with long lead times in process already, but the manufacturing won't start until we're out of Sony QA, which is after the order is placed. We estimated about 6-8 weeks when we started, so probably something like the end of August or beginning of Sept to ship, but I'll be posting updates as each milestone in manufacture and shipping is hit, similar to how we did the PSP one.

I just got done playing it a minute ago. Got to the final boss, actually. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the game, ha! First of all, it's a one-run/sitting game. Controls are simple (run, jump, and shoot) and it's entirely score-driven. Definitely not a collect-a-thon. You can collect new weapons/power ups that use a mana-like resource (gems) collected from destroyed enemies though. There are max-heart increase items which increase your maximum health capacity, but it's all entirely optional and only applicable to your current run. The game's definitely a precision platformer. Stages are obstacle course-like in nature and require tight jumps and such to proceed.

There are also no traditional lives, but from what I can tell you, are given infinite continues and you spawn at the exact same spot you died (which I'm not too hot on) with half health. There are no bosses other than a final boss, so your only goal is to reach a crystal at the end of the stage. What's sort of interesting is that these end-stage crystals flash different colors and depending on when you touch/grab the crystal you're transported to that corresponding world's color (forest area flashes green, lava world flashes red, etc.). So, you can tackle the stages in a non-linear fashion.

The final boss is really tough, but it's one of those final bosses where it's hard because there's hardly any hit-reaction or damage notification, so I couldn't even tell if I was hitting him or not. What's REALLY strange is that ONLY during the final boss (and final stage?) are you sent back to the stage prior to the final battle if you die while facing him. What's even more weird is that you lose a max-heart container in the process. The game continues to penalize you until you're out of hearts which then results in a forced game-over. Fucked up.
Oh wow, definitely seems rough around the edges. Thanks for the write-up.

Teknoman

Are any of the Monster Rancher games or Dragon Seeds worth playing today? I know Jade Cocoon is cool since its an actual RPG. The only thing I remember from Dragon Seeds is that its in the future, and used memory card saves as DNA.

sn00zer

Are any of the Monster Rancher games or Dragon Seeds worth playing today? I know Jade Cocoon is cool since its an actual RPG. The only thing I remember from Dragon Seeds is that its in the future, and used memory card saves as DNA.

Im gunna say no to monster rancher...disc swapping was really cool as a kid, but the game itself was meh

Top Bottom