• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

I was a little surprised when I saw it, the lady had loads of PS1 games in a basket all marked at £3. Might go back next week and have another look through (I'll ask if I can take a picture of them so you guys can see).

Zing

Banned
Europe never had the long boxes? Too bad. It was awesome back then to come home with a few of those. A shame they gave up on it so quickly.

Teknoman

I just went ahead with Ogre Battle PS1 since its pretty much the same as the SNES aside from music and some spell effect upgrades, and its alot cheaper. Vandal Hearts 1 on order before that goes up for unknown reasons.

I just went ahead with Ogre Battle PS1 since its pretty much the same as the SNES aside from music and some spell effect upgrades, and its alot cheaper. Vandal Hearts 1 on order before that goes up for unknown reasons.

Is there any resolution weirdness with the PS1 version of OB like the Saturn version has?

Zing

Banned
Legend of mana, yay or nay?
Nay from me. The game is very well designed, with beautiful graphics and music. They crammed it full of everything from adventure to simulation. However, they forgot to make the combat fun. It is absolutely mindless and boring. The CPU AI is worthless. I can't believe they spent so much time making this game, only to seemingly completely forget to code any sort of AI or make the combat interesting. Such a shame.

Yuterald

Nay from me. The game is very well designed, with beautiful graphics and music. They crammed it full of everything from adventure to simulation. However, they forgot to make the combat fun. It is absolutely mindless and boring. The CPU AI is worthless. I can't believe they spent so much time making this game, only to seemingly completely forget to code any sort of AI or make the combat interesting. Such a shame.

Yeah, the actual game part of the game kind of does suck. Probably the least fun Mana game from a pure gameplay/fun factor standpoint. Never truly cared for the overly complex and highly unnecessary crafting system nor could I ever truly stand behind the weird stage/world map placement stuff. Although, I do think the game is worth playing alone for those Genesis, Musical Box-era progressive rock tunes from Shimomura. The Darkness Nova/Pain the Universe vs. The Musical Box. ;)

Here's my full collection.

I need to do a better job of remembering what I have, so I don't get too many dupes. I think I'll keep one to play, and one to display, but there's no need for 3 copies of anything!

Btsdxj5IYAA9QJA.jpg:large

cluderi

£2
Disk in near-mint condition complete with instruction manual in good condition too. Markets are the best.

Brings back some memories, I had this version of Tekken. I'd played Battle Area Toshiden a lot since launch until Tekken got released. Turns out there's 4 games that got the cardboard box release treatment in the UK (I only had Tekken though)

Tekken
Mortal Kombat 3
Warhawk
Total NBA '97

Oh nice, thanks for that. Well now I know what to look out for on my travels around the markets next weekend! Seriously though Charity Stores, Boot Sales and Markets are great hunting grounds.

I haven't had any real issues with the few times I've used Ebay, but some of the prices are crazy. The less said about rip-off P&P the better...

Here's my full collection.

I need to do a better job of remembering what I have, so I don't get too many dupes. I think I'll keep one to play, and one to display, but there's no need for 3 copies of anything!
Lol. Keep a list or spreadsheet. If you have a smartphone there's cataloguing software too.

Yeah, I keep my Backloggery updated so I know what I have at any given time. I don't really have a problem remembering that I have Tron Bonne or something like that, but it does help a lot when I run across something like FIFA or another more common game.

Battle Area Toshiden brings me back. One pf my first PSOne games I played and bought. I would totally buy them if they were released on the PSN just for nostalgia. I think I even owned the second and third game too but can't find them in my house.

Does anyone think the PSio (I may be slightly butchering its name) flash cart will come out? I feel like I've been watching it forever. No disdain towards the team intended, of course.

I was visiting my parents this weekend and found a stash of old gaming magazines locked in the parents house vault of time:

h3DZIc9.jpg

I can't believe it's issue #1 and 2 of OPM in pretty much mint condition. Needless to say, I've taken back home with me so that they don't get thrown away if my parents decide to purge my old stuff.

oldmario

Does anyone think the PSio (I may be slightly butchering its name) flash cart will come out? I feel like I've been watching it forever. No disdain towards the team intended, of course.

isn't it only 1 guy working on it? that's probably gonna add to the length of the project, but he's slowly making progress

IrishNinja

Anyone have a back up place to print PS1 case inlays? The cover project has some, but i'm looking for the Strider back inlay, and they've only got DVD covers.

ugh i had to do this for a few (Ghost in the Shell, Einhander etc) and it's tricky...google search and hope you find something at a decent res and no MOBY GAMES logo

Anyone know where I could find PS one saves for Vita versions besides gamefaqs? Looking for a good and tweaked Wild Arms 2 save.

besides PS Underground discs...you check gamefaqs? i know there used to be sites for these, reminds me i need to get a dex drive again onna cheap

PS1 did have an amazing library. But PS2 was killin' it too. It's hard to say overall which is better! It seems like PS2 was the last system where JRPGs were still in style-- they seem greatly diminished nowadays, but I could just be imagining that.

PS1 did have an amazing library. But PS2 was killin' it too. It's hard to say overall which is better! It seems like PS2 was the last system where JRPGs were still in style-- they seem greatly diminished nowadays, but I could just be imagining that.
It would seem Japan-developed RPGs have migrated to dedicated handhelds like DS, 3DS and Vita, as well as mobile devices. I'm not sure if the quantity of them has diminished, but it certainly feels that way.

It would seem Japan-developed RPGs have migrated to dedicated handhelds like DS, 3DS and Vita, as well as mobile devices. I'm not sure if the quantity of them has diminished, but it certainly feels that way.
That is actually a good point. The handhelds seem to be getting a healthy amount of them. I wonder why they're not on consoles as much. I guess AAA budgets are killing the JRPG?

IrishNinja

I prefer the PS1's library of games to the PS2's. I said it.

not gonna find much disagreement here

If we're talking original software, I'm 100% with you.

But PS2 had some good arcade ports. Couple that with the Sega Ages 2500 series, and PS2 is GOAT.

which of the AGES series do you dig, 16? i know the Treasure & a few others are known for quality, but that one Sega Collection disc that made it over here made the rest seem like a really mixed bunch.

which of the AGES series do you dig, 16? i know the Treasure & a few others are known for quality, but that one Sega Collection disc that made it over here made the rest seem like a really mixed bunch.
I'm curious too. I found a translated ISO of the first release, the remake of Phantasy Star. Is that worth playing?

Def Jukie

I need some help from you guys. I'm looking for the best way to play import and patched fan translated games on a US PS One system. Do I just need to get a modchip? If so which one should I be looking for? I see some people use an MM3 or I've seen different versions of Stealth chips. What's the difference?

Timu

I need some help from you guys. I'm looking for the best way to play import and patched fan translated games on a US PS One system. Do I just need to get a modchip? If so which one should I be looking for? I see some people use an MM3 or I've seen different versions of Stealth chips. What's the difference?
This might work.

Is there a way to safely clean the lens inside the disc tray?

My PS1 has been reading games very slowly and flat-out won't read my copy of FF7. I know for sure it isn't the disc, because it works perfectly on my PS3.

I´m...kind of... on a trashy B-horror game trip right now.

I just got "D" and "Cold Blood / In Cold Blood " in the mail today.

Man, we used to get so many interesting and "out there" games back then...

Top Bottom