• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

oldmario

i'm looking for one of those ps1 shells but not in that barf colour, looking for the clear crystal ones, couple for a ps1 and 1 for the ps one, i think last time i tried looking i could only find them on dodgy looking sites or places that wouldn't ship outside of america

i'm looking for one of those ps1 shells but not in that barf colour, looking for the clear crystal ones, couple for a ps1 and 1 for the ps one, i think last time i tried looking i could only find them on dodgy looking sites or places that wouldn't ship outside of america

Seems like they are disappearing fast, not finding any good sites on searches and ebay just gives me mobile phone covers with various consoles pictured on them.

TnK

At all the legend of mana replies, guess I will consider buying it at some point. I also want to rebuy Lomax. That game was an awesome platformer.

Also, did the PS1 really have a better library, or is that nostalgia?

My birthday is tomorrow and one of our regular customers totally surprised me at work today. We've talked about how much I love the PS1/PS2 a lot and I've mentioned that there was only one really pricey game left that I needed to pick up. He came by the store today and dropped this off for me. I was speechless!

mXTVxKgl.jpg

My birthday is tomorrow and one of our regular customers totally surprised me at work today. We've talked about how much I love the PS1/PS2 a lot and I've mentioned that there was only one really pricey game left that I needed to pick up. He came by the store today and dropped this off for me. I was speechless!

mXTVxKgl.jpg
...and you opened the case to find a Bubsy 3D disc?

Congratulations!

TnK

mXTVxKgl.jpg

Wow, you should really thank that guy. Did he have this game for a long time and did not want it anymore?

Wow, you should really thank that guy. Did he have this game for a long time and did not want it anymore?

Seriously! I asked him and he told me that he found a good deal on it a little while back and decided to get it for me. I help him out sometimes by letting him know when we get some cool stuff in, but I definitely didn't do it expecting to get this in return. So thankful!

PlayStation! The machine I grew up with and love. Recently I've been getting overly nostalgic for this little machine. I pretty much always use a PlayStation to play my PlayStation games, instead of a PlayStation 2. Currently have a PAL machine (SCPH-5552) modded with an MM3 modchip to play everything - though this yields slightly wrong timing for NTSC video - which is all I want. Have eradicated this by buying a "junk" SCPH-5500 from Japan and will be swapping parts over to get a Japanese base unit with a chip and 240V PSU that will correctly display NTSC video for my lovely 1995 Sony Trinitron monitor with direct RGB input.

Xl6axXS.jpg

jqNyDZr.jpg

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Several years ago, I saw the whole Colony Wars trilogy at a gaming store, all for cheap. I put off buying them for too long and they were gone! Since then I've only been able to find 1 and 2. I refuse to play it until I can get the whole trilogy. Then I shall play through them all. Is Red Sun any good? Cause if it sucks I'll just forget about it and enjoy 1 and 2.

I've been keeping an eye out for this, and I finally found it at Goodwill
51K%2BLtiJJ2L._SS500_.jpg

Sadly, the analog sticks were all wonky so I didn't go for it. It's the Dual Imapact controller. Yes, seems like typical third party trash (and that's probably why the analog sticks were wonked) but it has one feature I find really neat. See how there's three mode settings on the controller? The extra one is for NeGcon mapping to the left analog stick.

NeGcon was a somewhat obscure racing wheel released in Japan, but a lot of racing games pre-Dual Shock used it. Really a game changer for a lot of racing games that (may) suck using a d-pad.

Anyway, I found it to be a neat thing. Plus the controller is a little bigger, and super comfortable to me and my gorilla hands

alf717

It's missing all the stuff that's supposed to come with it:

Not to mention all the different variations that are out there. http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/releasedgames/lunar/index.html

That site is pretty cool if you are into finding all the different variations to games that were released on the PS1. I own the Magic Emperor / Xenobia, Phacia, Royce variation. Its is also how I discovered the different between a Tomb Raider III green disc vs. a blue disc version.

Not to mention all the different variations that are out there. http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/releasedgames/lunar/index.html

That site is pretty cool if you are into finding all the different variations to games that were released on the PS1. I own the Magic Emperor / Xenobia, Phacia, Royce variation. Its is also how I discovered the different between a Tomb Raider III green disc vs. a blue disc version.

Holy crap, this is a cool site!

BTails

This site is gonna eat up all of my time. I was surprise to find out that the three Working Designs games I had were all variation copies! So cool:

L8alSrT.jpg

SQl9jya.jpg

KCeSeam.jpg

Working Designs had the best extras and pack-ins. I'm still annoyed that my local EB Games didn't get the Ghaleon puppet for my Eternal Blue preorder though.

hitgirl

I started playing Vagrant Story for the first time last night after finding it at a flea market. Don't know why but I randomly though "Oh hey that game might be like Demon Souls, it sort of looks like it and I remember it being very weapon based". Only 2 hours in but enjoying it. It looks pretty sharp on a emulator too, have the rendering upscaled like crazy.

Leynos

I started playing Vagrant Story for the first time last night after finding it at a flea market. Don't know why but I randomly though "Oh hey that game might be like Demon Souls, it sort of looks like it and I remember it being very weapon based". Only 2 hours in but enjoying it. It looks pretty sharp on a emulator too, have the rendering upscaled like crazy.

Fantastic game; my favorite, in fact. If you didn't, be sure to leave the game alone when you first start it up, as there are a couple of cut-scenes that only appear there.

Several years ago, I saw the whole Colony Wars trilogy at a gaming store, all for cheap. I put off buying them for too long and they were gone! Since then I've only been able to find 1 and 2. I refuse to play it until I can get the whole trilogy. Then I shall play through them all. Is Red Sun any good? Cause if it sucks I'll just forget about it and enjoy 1 and 2.

My suggestion: skip Red Sun. I never liked it. If I remember correctly, it wasn't developed by Psygnosis, and it shows. I didn't care for the story, and the game play felt..off. I recently replayed Colony Wars 1, and 2 after a long hiatus, and they were both great fun. If you haven't tried them, look into Star Trek: Invasion, and the G-Police games.

Edit: it was developed by Psygnosis. I seem to remember that it was developed by a different team. Perhaps it was a different internal team?

hitgirl

Fantastic game; my favorite, in fact. If you didn't, be sure to leave the game alone when you first start it up, as there are a couple of cut-scenes that only appear there.

Oh really? I must have missed those then. Just beat the first big Dragon in Lea Monde.

Wereroku

No wonder Arc the Lad 1 seemed so familiar to me it was made by the Front Mission devs before Square bought them. It is kind of weird how things overlap like that.

mltplkxr

Oh man... I'm leaving this one in a locked chest hidden in the back of the closet. I would spend so much time assembling and re-assembling weapons and leveling them, I became seriously addicted. An evil evil game.... Definitely one of the best of all time, no joke.

The PS1 is my favorite system of all time (nostalgia plays a part, but I love the games).
I'm still discovering titles I missed when they originally released. Mostly I play them these days by buying digitally on PSN, but there's so many games that are missing.

I still have a few of my original discs but I'm honestly not into collecting. Has anyone played Machine Hunter? It was a top down run and gun shooter kind of like Loaded but you could take control of different machine types. Pretty fun game that probably wouldn't get mentioned on GAF normally.

Anyway, yeah I love the PS1. *throws change into PS1's hat*

Sinople

A couple of new acquisitions since my previous post:

Ace Combat 3
Exodus Guilty: a non-adult visual novel by Hiroyuki Kanno (Yu-No, etc.).
Galerians, sealed.
Kowloon's Gate: a weird adventure game full of CG (4 disks!), sealed.
Circadia: a semi-futuristic adventure game from SCEJ with turn-based battles.
Tantei Jinguji Early Collection: a collection of the 4 Famicom games, 2 of which were written by Kazushige Nojima of Final Fantasy fame.
Tantei Jinguji Tomoshibi ga Kienu ma ni: the last PS game in the famous detective ADV series.
Volfoss: an SRPG from Namco with some weird character and monster designs by Yasushi Nirasawa (Kamen Rider, Garo, etc.).

Leynos

The PS1 is my favorite system of all time (nostalgia plays a part, but I love the games).
I'm still discovering titles I missed when they originally released. Mostly I play them these days by buying digitally on PSN, but there's so many games that are missing.

I still have a few of my original discs but I'm honestly not into collecting. Has anyone played Machine Hunter? It was a top down run and gun shooter kind of like Loaded but you could take control of different machine types. Pretty fun game that probably wouldn't get mentioned on GAF normally.

Anyway, yeah I love the PS1. *throws change into PS1's hat*

That's the one where your character could possess different robots, yes? I played the demo on one of those demo disks years ago, and remember liking it enough to want to eventually purchase it, but never did.

Picked up Gussun Oyoyo and Final Fantasy Tactics this weekend.

Pretty happy with Tactics as I got the black label release for the same price the Greatest Hits copy tends to go for, on UK eBay at least. Will be my first time playing it due to it not getting a European release too!

Had a little too much to drink the other night and made some impulse buys online, including a copy of the jewel case variant of In the Hunt.

Of course, I run into a copy $15 cheaper the next morning. Go figure.

Gaming-wise, I beat Mega Man 8 for the first time a few days ago.
It's the only one I've beaten aside from the Legends/Tron Bonne games.
It was one of the first games I got with my PSX back in the day, so there's a lot of nostalgia in that game for me, especially when it comes to the music. I'm trying to figure out what I'd like to try to tackle next. I'm still about 1/4th of the way through Legaia but I got pretty bored with it. I've finally come across a copy of Punky Skunk that I'll have soon, so I'm thinking about running through that. Really itching to play some platformers instead of a JRPG like usual.

In the Hunt is so cool. Runs much better on PS1 than Saturn too.

That's what I've heard. I've had my eye on it for a while considering its rarity, but I didn't realize until recently that it was a SHMUP. Always figured it was some kind of Steel Diver-esque game based on the cover, haha. Really excited to try it out.

That's what I've heard. I've had my eye on it for a while considering its rarity, but I didn't realize until recently that it was a SHMUP. Always figured it was some kind of Steel Diver-esque game based on the cover, haha. Really excited to try it out.

Yeah, and the art and animation is that unmistakably pre-Nazca Irem. They went on to do Metal Slug.

Top Bottom