• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

I have an odd request.

Can someone with an original release Final Fantasy Tactics try and boot it in their PlayStation 2?

My friend has a modded machine and says his doesn't boot at all, and mine appears to take 42 seconds or so to boot when ever other CD based PlayStation or PlayStation 2 game boots instantly.

I'm kind of hoping it's just an odd general console related error but it seems very strange.

Works perfectly in my PlayStation, I'm only asking this for troubleshooting reasons.

Thanks.

mltplkxr

Green label FFT on PS2 slim starts immediately. IIRC Strider doesn't work on modded consoles. So it's possible, if memory's right.

hitgirl

Oh man... I'm leaving this one in a locked chest hidden in the back of the closet. I would spend so much time assembling and re-assembling weapons and leveling them, I became seriously addicted. An evil evil game.... Definitely one of the best of all time, no joke.

Some reason I can't get my head wrapped around the weapon combination system. I don't want to read a guide, would like to figure it out myself. Any tips?

A couple of new acquisitions since my previous post:

Ace Combat 3
Exodus Guilty: a non-adult visual novel by Hiroyuki Kanno (Yu-No, etc.).
Galerians, sealed.
Kowloon's Gate: a weird adventure game full of CG (4 disks!), sealed.
Circadia: a semi-futuristic adventure game from SCEJ with turn-based battles.
Tantei Jinguji Early Collection: a collection of the 4 Famicom games, 2 of which were written by Kazushige Nojima of Final Fantasy fame.
Tantei Jinguji Tomoshibi ga Kienu ma ni: the last PS game in the famous detective ADV series.
Volfoss: an SRPG from Namco with some weird character and monster designs by Yasushi Nirasawa (Kamen Rider, Garo, etc.).
JP Galerians art is awesome!

I dunno if Baphomet is busy or not, but I need to get my PSone modded. Someone put up the signal!

It's extremely simple to install a PSone modchip!

As for the Final Fantasy Tactics situation - it appears to just be a game that doesn't boot on PlayStation 2 - or at least takes a very long time for some reason.

Original release at least.

It's extremely simple to install a PSone modchip!

As for the Final Fantasy Tactics situation - it appears to just be a game that doesn't boot on PlayStation 2 - or at least takes a very long time for some reason.

Original release at least.

Did you guys change the disc speed to Fast? Clears up any PS1 loading problems for me.

I just got my copy of Fox Hunt in the mail, and HOLY SHIT this game is gloriously terrible. Can't wait to tear into it next week.

Not sure where else to post this, but since this thread is about appreciating PSOne games, maybe it fits here.

So I'm not a big fan of the plastic on the PSOne or PS3 d-pad (too hard), so I bought a PS4 controller to use with my PS3 because it's got a wonderful, smooth d-pad. After getting it connected I discovered that it doesn't seem to work with PSOne classics at all. PS3 controller works fine, PS4 controller doesn't do anything. Has anyone else experienced this or discovered any way to fix it?

Doomshine

My birthday is tomorrow and one of our regular customers totally surprised me at work today. We've talked about how much I love the PS1/PS2 a lot and I've mentioned that there was only one really pricey game left that I needed to pick up. He came by the store today and dropped this off for me. I was speechless!

mXTVxKgl.jpg

Is this game rare? Pretty sure my friend still has that game, we played the shit out if back in the day.

Teknoman

That is, if you have some soldering ability. You only need to install 4 - 7 points tops. Isn't like the 20 odd point install of a PlayStation 2 chip.

No change I'm afraid. Didn't help.

Well I recently soldered in a new fuse on a Sega CD model 2, and fixed its laser, so I guess it cant be that much harder right?

Def Jukie

While we are talking about modchips, does anyone know where one would purchase a PS1 modchip? Preferably one that is already on a small PCB.

Def Jukie

Thanks a bunch, just contacted him about ordering one. Looks to be even easier to install than I thought it would be. So looking forward to playing Policenauts, FFT with the PSP translation, Vib Ribbon, Tobal 2, etc.

Thanks a bunch, just contacted him about ordering one. Looks to be even easier to install than I thought it would be. So looking forward to playing Policenauts, FFT with the PSP translation, Vib Ribbon, Tobal 2, etc.

Why would you want that? You miss out on all the great stuff from the original translation like "blame yourself or god".

mltplkxr

Some reason I can't get my head wrapped around the weapon combination system. I don't want to read a guide, would like to figure it out myself. Any tips?

So sorry, that was 10 years ago so I really don't remember specifics. I'm just left with the memory of incessantly assembling halberds and chopping down lizardmen before realizing I had to put this away or I would end up on the streets.

Andrew.

Banned
Count me in for this thread as I just started a small collection over the past month or so. Most of the big Square RPGs I own digitally through PSN (FFVII, IX, Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Vagrant Story), so I really wanted to make a nostalgia filled collection for myself of hard copies.

So far Ive got Wild 9 (classic Shiny), Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Hear of Darkness and Metal Gear Solid.

Ape Escape and SkullMonkeys are arriving today.

Fear Effect, Megaman X4, and MDK should be arriving this week. I'll be sure to take pictures.

Im thinking about hunting down a copy of Lunar: Eternal Blue, but Ive always heard its got kind of a love it or hate it thing going on, especially compared to SS. Not really sure what I should aim to score next. I like going for the cool, quirky shit that not many people of heard of (like Heart of Darkness and SkullMonkeys).

Jinto

I opened up my copy of Lunar Eternal Blue for the first time in years only to find out the Lucia Pendant and pouch are missing. It's long gone now. :(

Edit: Holy crap, I found the pendant! :D Now to find the pouch...

It's really weird. If you like Kenji Eno / Warp, it's worth checking out.

also, Eno had the best fucking anecdotes. RIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(video_game)#Production
wikipedia said:
Because the storyline and graphic FMVs were more horrifying than any video game that had yet been released, head developer Kenji Eno resorted to a trick in order to get D published. The game was originally developed with no storyline, and Eno kept the story sequences a secret even from the other members of WARP. When the game was finished, he submitted a "clean" version (i.e. without the violent and disturbing story content of the complete version) for approval. He deliberately submitted the master late, knowing that part of the penalty was that he would have to deliver it by hand to the manufacturers in the USA. While on the plane ride to the USA, he switched the phony "clean" discs with the finalized discs, thus completely bypassing all censorship.

Andrew.

Banned
Do any of you guys have Galerians? I remember picking it up wayyyy back in the day but I remember nothing about it really.

If so, how does it hold up?

Oh, wow. This guy sounds like he was a boss.

Have you ever heard the story on how he got Michael Nyman to compose Enemy Zero?

1up article said:
...I like Michael Nyman a lot, and I like his soundtracks, so I was thinking that it would be awesome if I could get him to do the music. I thought, "That would be impossible, but it'd be great if that happened." ...then, there was a big earthquake in Kobe, Japan in 1995, and Michael Nyman was donating pianos to schools in the city. When this earthquake happened, he said that he wanted to check out how the pianos that he donated were doing, so he came to Japan. When I found out that he was in Japan, I invited him back to my hotel room and tried to convince him, for six hours, to come work with me. So, at the end, Michael was like, "OK, I'll do it, I'll do it. Just let me go back to my room." So he went back exhausted after being convinced for six hours. We didn't work out terms or conditions; he just said that he would do it.

that's fucked up, lol

Have you ever heard the story on how he got Michael Nyman to compose Enemy Zero?
LOL!

Does this guy have a book about his life experiences? This guy sounds awesome! I had no idea he was such a badass-- pulling switcheroos to sneak out violent games, holding composers captive in his hotel room for hours.

IrishNinja

nah, that 1up interview pretty much has most of the known anecdotes, and many are amazing (working at the house for blind children, the crazy Enemy Zero LE, how he got into gaming, what he did at sony's presentation, etc)

Picked these up while at a swapmeet.

photo1_zps035be4c7.jpg

Never played Puzzle Fighter, any good? I've heard EvilZone is bad but I cant resit a anime inspired fighter.

Also what is this weird madcatz thing?

photo2_zps40858615.jpg

A ps1 adapter? wireless controller reciever? ???? Multitap?

TnK

It's really weird. If you like Kenji Eno / Warp, it's worth checking out.

also, Eno had the best fucking anecdotes. RIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_(video_game)#Production

Well, I like D in general, so there is a chance I may like the game.

that's fucked up, lol
Also, wow this guy lol. A really stubborn person.

EDIT: nvm, I thought D was referring to Vampire Hunter D....

photo1_zps035be4c7.jpg

Never played Puzzle Fighter, any good? I've heard EvilZone is bad but I cant resit a anime inspired fighter.

Oh god, Evil Zone.

Not a hugely impressive game but it amused me enough during one holiday trip (with my PSone / LCD combo) to complete story mode with each character to unlock the alternate colour. lol

Installed a Mayumi v4 chip in my SCPH-5552 today as practise for when I find a working SCPH-5500. 8 wires as it takes the pulses from the hardware rather than generating in the chip like the MM3 does. Really easy to install. Got this from Bad_Ad84 on ASSEMbler.

d3MwGaA.jpg

How are the Gundam Battle Assault fighting games?

IIRC the North American version of 2 is the definitive one, as it had more content than the JP releases, right?

hitgirl

Edit: Nvm figured it out.

Gah I took apart my negcon controller to clean it and cant reassemble the left side.There's a spring that goes somewhere in this trigger assembly location but I can't figure it out.. spent 30 minutes staring at it. Maybe someone here has taken theirs apart and can show.

HDy4eeJl.jpg

Installed a Mayumi v4 chip in my SCPH-5552 today as practise for when I find a working SCPH-5500. 8 wires as it takes the pulses from the hardware rather than generating in the chip like the MM3 does. Really easy to install. Got this from Bad_Ad84 on ASSEMbler.

d3MwGaA.jpg

Seems pretty simple. I should try this.

Do you know if Gradius Gaiden plays nice with this? It's one of those PS1 games that doesn't play properly on a PS2, and I don't have a way to play JP games on my PS1 yet.

The little adaptor PCB makes the install super easy. Would recommend it.

I believe MM3 can do the same job with less wires but I like the idea of the modchip being better integrated with the system as the Mayumi v4 appears to be. From what I've read at least.

I also have an MM3 chipped PlayStation and it operates roughly the same.

Both machine are PAL though, got a Mayumi v4 with JP code to install in the SCPH-5500 I won earlier so I finally get a proper NTSC PlayStation.

Edit: I won't comment on Gradius Gaiden because I can't recreate a printed copy - unless you know a backup won't work too.

tav7623

Been lurking in this thread on & off for the past couple of months (there weren't really any posts I saw that I felt I could add anything substantial to by commenting/posting) and thought it was finally time to pop in, say hi, and while I'm at it show off my miniscule PS1 collection.

Notes:

1.The disc sleeves sitting on top of the games contain PS1 demo discs that I've held onto over the years and last I checked they all worked.

2. My copy of SotN no longer works (kept it just in case I found a working replacement disc cheap some day) and have since acquired a digital copy on PSN.

3. Speaking of digital copies here is a list of digital PS1 games I currently own: Alone in the Dark, Castlevania SotN, Crash Bandicoot 2, Destruction Derby, Dino Crisis, Final Fantasy IX, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Parasite Eve II, Resident Evil Director's Cut, Resident Evil 3, Syphon Filter 2, Twisted Metal, Warhawk.

4. Just added an original release/black label version of Resident Evil 2 (not pictured) to my PS1 collection.

Top Bottom