• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

marcincz

Been lurking in this thread on & off for the past couple of months (there weren't really any posts I saw that I felt I could add anything substantial to by commenting/posting) and thought it was finally time to pop in, say hi, and while I'm at it show off my miniscule PS1 collection.

Notes:

1.The disc sleeves sitting on top of the games contain PS1 demo discs that I've held onto over the years and last I checked they all worked.

2. My copy of SotN no longer works (kept it just in case I found a working replacement disc cheap some day) and have since acquired a digital copy on PSN.

3. Speaking of digital copies here is a list of digital PS1 games I currently own: Alone in the Dark, Castlevania SotN, Crash Bandicoot 2, Destruction Derby, Dino Crisis, Final Fantasy IX, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Parasite Eve II, Resident Evil Director's Cut, Resident Evil 3, Syphon Filter 2, Twisted Metal, Warhawk.

I've never played Fear Effect, but I watched a few minutes of gameplay and I am impressed. How long is this game? I've seen on HLTB site that 8 hours, but 4 cd's game?

I've never played Fear Effect, but I watched a few minutes of gameplay and I am impressed. How long is this game? I've seen on HLTB site that 8 hours, but 4 cd's game?

Fear Effect 1 and 2 are pretty short, this is because most of the disc space is used for the movies or the pre-rendered movie data.
Both games are pretty good though, it has that cyberpubk feel to it. Sadly the 3rd was canceled for PS2.
8 hours should be legit for both games that is.

marcincz

Fear Effect 1 and 2 are pretty short, this is because most of the disc space is used for the movies or the pre-rendered movie data.
Both games are pretty good though, it has that cyberpubk feel to it. Sadly the 3rd was canceled for PS2.

Thx for quick answer.
I must add this games to my wishlist.

Yeah Fear Effect was much shorter than Resident Evil, but it was soooooo good. I couldn't beat FE2 due to having zero health at my save point.

I still have Fear Effect 1 at my parents house, too bad I can't find 2 or most of my other PS1/Saturn games. I have no clue where they are as I have all my SNES/Genesis/N64 games. Feels bad man. Looks like I need to wait for a PSN release to beat FE2.

cj_iwakura

It's amazing how fast both games escalate into total insanity.

tav7623

Well to be honest I don't know as I've never played the game or it's sequel before (in fact I just got the game last week while at a local retro game store, bought it cause lately I've been on a kick to play ps1 games I missed out on) and I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet (it's the only physical PS1 game I own that I've yet to touch/play), but I plan to change that very soon as I've heard it's a kickass game.

silent_snake

Neo Member
Interesting that they're both short, considering they both have four discs!

As someone already mentioned, that's primarily because both games use pre-rendered videos as backgrounds. I think it looked great and every scene felt very dynamic and vibrant. I loved that and the overall atmosphere of Fear Effect games.

Finished Arc the Lad. The fuck at the "ending". I can't imagine how pissed people in Japan must have been when they first got this and had to wait over a year to finish the story.

holy shit that's short for a JRPG

It is a fucking weird game with how quickly paced it is. You are immediately thrown in, find your party members, collect five things, have a weird boss fight that you don't even realize is the end of the game, and then... To Be Continued!

It's weird. We were lucky to get the whole collection at once. I would be pissed to not have the "sequel" immediately available. I believe Part Two is supposed to be like 50+ hours.

It is a fucking weird game with how quickly paced it is. You are immediately thrown in, find your party members, collect five things, have a weird boss fight that you don't even realize is the end of the game, and then... To Be Continued!

It's weird. We were lucky to get the whole collection at once. I would be pissed to not have the "sequel" immediately available. I believe Part Two is supposed to be like 50+ hours.
Famously in Japan there was like a 2 page magazine as that just said "Arc the Lad II is not Arc the Lad" as if to apologize.

Teknoman

I forget, did Lunar: Eternal Blue use midi or was that just Silver Star Complete?

EDIT: Heh apparently you can start disc 2 without playing disc 1. It actually starts at the beginning of the game, but tells you to insert disc 1 before the Nall cutscene.

Khaz

I forget, did Lunar: Eternal Blue use midi or was that just Silver Star Complete?

EDIT: Heh apparently you can start disc 2 without playing disc 1. It actually starts at the beginning of the game, but tells you to insert disc 1 before the Nall cutscene.

The whole game is most likely duplicated on both CD, it would weight something like 4 to 8MB. It's the cutscenes that had to be spread through discs, and when one is missing the game is telling you to insert the other disc.

IrishNinja

i think it was lunar 2 as far as midis? i forget but i know one of them sounded nowhere near as good as the original sega-cd version

Teknoman

i think it was lunar 2 as far as midis? i forget but i know one of them sounded nowhere near as good as the original sega-cd version

Well I know the original one (Sega CD) sounds much better than the PS1 version when it comes to Silver Star. I think CJ Iwakura mentioned the difference between the audio there (plus since i've got both versions at home for the time being, you can really tell the difference).

Dunno about Eternal Blue so I might PM him.

That would suck. I played the first on Sega CD, but intended to play the second on PS since that's the version I have.

Thats what I was going to do if there isnt that big a difference between the games (both audio and difficulty wise...sucked that they took out overworld battles for the PS1 Silver Star).

Sinople

Finished Arc the Lad. The fuck at the "ending". I can't imagine how pissed people in Japan must have been when they first got this and had to wait over a year to finish the story.

I bought it day one with my PS1...
It sure felt short but I wasn't that upset because the optional dungeon was pretty long and the (not so great now) few CG movies impressed a lot my teenage mind.
Though it's only when I bought Toushiden just after that I really felt I was playing with a next-gen machine. 3D at home, that was incredible. Unfortunately, the game is pretty bad now, contrary to Ark the Lad.

Teknoman

Man...lol im having second thoughts about wanting to trade my Lunar 2 PS1...the box art and manual + stuff just exude quality.

Lunar 1 PS1 though, I will trade since i've got the Sega CD version already.

rpowelll

Neo Member
I just bought a few Japanese PS1 games, namely Vib Ribbon, Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy, and I was wondering what the best setup to play them is. If I was to get a Japanese PS2 slim and plug it into a modern PAL HDTV, would it be able to handle the NTSC-J signal? Or is my best bet to get a Framemeister and run it that way?

I mainly bought them to have as collector's items, but I'd like to have a way to play them at some point as well.

I just bought a few Japanese PS1 games, namely Vib Ribbon, Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy, and I was wondering what the best setup to play them is. If I was to get a Japanese PS2 slim and plug it into a modern PAL HDTV, would it be able to handle the NTSC-J signal? Or is my best bet to get a Framemeister and run it that way?

I mainly bought them to have as collector's items, but I'd like to have a way to play them at some point as well.

The best setup would be RGB on a broadcast CRT monitor. Especially for those games listed. Parappa, Lammy, and Vib Ribbon are all timing-sensitive rhythm games, and you don't want to deal with that HDTV or framemeister input lag.

rpowelll

Neo Member
The best setup would be RGB on a broadcast CRT monitor. Especially for those games listed. Parappa, Lammy, and Vib Ribbon are all timing-sensitive rhythm games, and you don't want to deal with that HDTV or framemeister input lag.

How severe is the input lag introduced by the Framemeister? Also where would I go about getting an NTSC-J CRT broadcast monitor that can ship to Australia?

Getting something as large and heavy as a good CRT shipped to Australia would ultimately be costlier than just getting the Framemeister, so I might just go with that. It also means it'll be easier for me to temporarily hook up the JP PS1 when I want to use it, and then put it in storage when I'm done with it. I've got fairly limited space in my current AV setup so I can't have this stuff hooked up all the time.

Gosh, these games are so special. All 3 look amazing on my KX-14CP1 too.

IrishNinja

How severe is the input lag introduced by the Framemeister? Also where would I go about getting an NTSC-J CRT broadcast monitor that can ship to Australia?

not in any way severe or damaging to the gameplay itself; it's really the HDTV's lag that you have to account for

Mzo

The Framemeister takes around 20 ms to upscale. Add to that however long it takes for your HDTV to doll up an image. Some TVs are much, much worse than others. There are vast gulfs between TVs and it's largely undocumented.

To give you a better idea of how much time that is, In a 30 FPS game one frame lasts around 33 ms. In a 60 FPS game, it's more around 16 ms.

Street Fighter IV runs at 60 FPS, for example.

edit: also, kiss your light gun games goodbye

IrishNinja

^exactly...I didn't find the xrgbs 20ms at all noticeable on my last panny plasma, but my current model adds a bit more lag & can be felt on certain titles. Again though,this is very largely the TVs fault.

Also light guns aren't gonna work on any HDTV (some other peripherals too) due to refresh rates

Teknoman

Make sure you specify you want a complete Thousand Arms because who doesn't like holo cards.

Well my Lunar isnt complete (no manual and no outer box) so I wouldnt think it would be fair. But so far, no one seems to want to trade lol. Either Lunar Silver Star with the map and all discs isnt as rare as I think, or every has it already.

^exactly...I didn't find the xrgbs 20ms at all noticeable on my last panny plasma, but my current model adds a bit more lag & can be felt on certain titles. Again though,this is very largely the TVs fault.

Also light guns aren't gonna work on any HDTV (some other peripherals too) due to refresh rates
They don't work on the non-curved (flat) CRTs either though, right?

IrishNinja

That's a good question, I've not heard of it being an issue though? Hit that those model trinotrons/etc might not have as good image quality as the older round models

That's a good question, I've not heard of it being an issue though? Hit that those model trinotrons/etc might not have as good image quality as the older round models
I guess it's an issue on *some* flat screen HDTVs because they have a different refresh rate (going back to your original point) Ahhh

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All I know is I've played Duck Hunt on Sony and Toshiba flat screens of various sizes.

All I know is I've played Duck Hunt on Sony and Toshiba flat screens of various sizes.
That's what's confusing about it. I have had failures on flat screen CRTs, and have heard similar stories. It appears to have something to do with refresh rates, and then some consoles themselves may fare better than a different console. Odd.

Wereroku

Well my Lunar isnt complete (no manual and no outer box) so I wouldnt think it would be fair. But so far, no one seems to want to trade lol. Either Lunar Silver Star with the map and all discs isnt as rare as I think, or every has it already.

Ahh sorry didn't read close enough that you just wanted straight trades. Yeah I don't think Lunar is actually that rare except for some of the variant discs but we don't know their rates either because Victor won't spill just says that some are rarer than others. Did you make sure to let people know which disc you had?

Edit:

Yeah some of the games you have listed are not good deals for the trader. A complete Lunar 1 is a lot cheaper than a copy of Valkyrie Profile 1. The Breath of Fires seem like a good trade. I don't know about Albert Odyssey you may need to check prices on that since the Saturn games can fluctuate a lot.

rpowelll

Neo Member
To clarify, I can get a good Trinitron CRT pretty easily, but I'm in Australia so it's going to require a PAL input signal. Importing a CRT from Japan seems like it'd be prohibitively expensive so I'm ruling that out as an option. The two options I see are to either mod an Australian (PAL) PS2 to play games from other regions (not sure how to do that), or get a Japanese PS2 and run it through a Framemeister to use with an HDTV.

One of my favorite gems on the PS1
Bwk4MyBCIAAeLIq.jpg:large

Teknoman

Ahh sorry didn't read close enough that you just wanted straight trades. Yeah I don't think Lunar is actually that rare except for some of the variant discs but we don't know their rates either because Victor won't spill just says that some are rarer than others. Did you make sure to let people know which disc you had?

Edit:

Yeah some of the games you have listed are not good deals for the trader. A complete Lunar 1 is a lot cheaper than a copy of Valkyrie Profile 1. The Breath of Fires seem like a good trade. I don't know about Albert Odyssey you may need to check prices on that since the Saturn games can fluctuate a lot.

Went back and changed up some of what I was asking for:

Lufia II SNES (cart only)

Skies of Arcadia Dreamcast (in original case with manual)

Thousand Arms PS1 (in original case)

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 (in original cases with manuals)

Vanguard Bandits PS1 (in original case)

Hopefully thats something more fair. Either that or in the end maybe i'll just end up selling. Honestly i'd really like to trade though. Guess it doesnt matter since if I sold it, the money would end up going towards another game anyway.

Khaz

They don't work on the non-curved (flat) CRTs either though, right?

They do. They just don't work on anything that's not a CRT with a scan line frequency of 15kHz (and a vertical frequency of 50/60Hz). The geometry of the thing doesn't matter.

No VGA, no LCD, no Plasma, no 100/120Hz CRT.

Wereroku

Went back and changed up some of what I was asking for:

Lufia II SNES (cart only)

Skies of Arcadia Dreamcast (in original case with manual)

Thousand Arms PS1 (in original case)

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 (in original cases with manuals)

Vanguard Bandits PS1 (in original case)

Hopefully thats something more fair. Either that or in the end maybe i'll just end up selling. Honestly i'd really like to trade though. Guess it doesnt matter since if I sold it, the money would end up going towards another game anyway.
Looks good vanguard bandits is a great game along with thousand arms.

They do. They just don't work on anything that's not a CRT with a scan line frequency of 15kHz (and a vertical frequency of 50/60Hz). The geometry of the thing doesn't matter.

No VGA, no LCD, no Plasma, no 100/120Hz CRT.
Well, thank you for clearing that up. I'm curious if there were any curved displays that had differing frequencies from the norm.

Khaz

Well, thank you for clearing that up. I'm curious if there were any curved displays that had differing frequencies from the norm.

VGA computer screens, by definition.

For TV, 100/120Hz sets appeared pretty late, they were created to mitigate the flickering happening when displaying 480i. They were sold as higher quality TV, I doubt such tube were made with a round screen.

Top Bottom