• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Too bad it's only 5 hours long and feels like a prototype in many spots.

Yeah, and I do think that the spiritual sequel, Solatorobo: Red The Hunter is a lot better. But man, the game is just charming in it's own way, with it's setting and characters it just brings a smile to my face. And I love the Japenese Opening, the English Opening is alright and fits the opening good, but the JP one is just so pretty to listen to and the singer has a lovely voice.

SW20

Picked up last month...
Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix

Battle Arena Toshinden 2 (Japanese Version)

Street Fighter - The Movie

Wing Commander 3 - Heart of the Tiger (Long Box)

Battle Arena Toshinden (Long Box)

Wing Commander 4 - The Price of Freedom

Star Wars - Rebel Assault II - The Hidden Empire (Japanese Version)

marcincz

Thanks to Novum_Veritas I decided to buy Fear Effect. I've bought it for approx. 8 Euro (cds in good condition, booklet too, box has few scratches) and received yesterday. It looks really great and I am going to start it this year.
Here is pic (GoW:J bonus :)):

Bar81

This is perhaps the nicest retro console to collect for right now - the huge sales numbers for most games and the packaging mean there are still tons of new and mint copies of games floating about.

Mercutio

This is perhaps the nicest retro console to collect for right now - the huge sales numbers for most games and the packaging mean there are still tons of new and mint copies of games floating about.

It's also awesome to find actual RPGs for a system at yard sales. It seems like every previous system sold them in such limited quantities, but the PS1 actually had enough to go around.

Bar81

It's also awesome to find actual RPGs for a system at yard sales. It seems like every previous system sold them in such limited quantities, but the PS1 actually had enough to go around.

That would be incredible to find an RPG complete in good condition at a yard sale. Too bad such things don't happen around these parts.

I'm happy just finding US RPGs on UK eBay personally!

But yes, as someone who grew up with a PlayStation you can get some real steals at the moment.

yeah reminds me of how cheap rpg titles are in japan since they're so common
dat ff7 effect

Mercutio

That would be incredible to find an RPG complete in good condition at a yard sale. Too bad such things don't happen around these parts.

I managed to snag Saga Frontier a week or two ago, complete at a stoop sale in Brooklyn. Actually, this applies to PS2 games even moreso; a local video rental store went out of business yesterday and I snapped up their CIB copies of Growlancer Generations and Suikoden IV for $3 each.

I managed to snag Saga Frontier a week or two ago, complete at a stoop sale in Brooklyn. Actually, this applies to PS2 games even moreso; a local video rental store went out of business yesterday and I snapped up their CIB copies of Growlancer Generations and Suikoden IV for $3 each.

Still paid too much.

Teknoman

jQRiT4rR07Lxd.jpg

Thanks Baphomet!

Vorg

Banned
How far are you in the game? I've been playing about 16 hours and I'm loving it so far. The battle system is great and the game is full of great moments. The dungeons can get a bit frequent and long though.

Yeah I played and finished grandia for the first time last year and while I really enjoyed it, dungeons can drag on forever. There are way too many instances of having to leave the dungeon on your own after killing the boss or way too many dungeons one after another without any towns or anything to break monotony. I think the game could have been shorter and would be better for it without all the padding.

IrishNinja

How far are you in the game? I've been playing about 16 hours and I'm loving it so far. The battle system is great and the game is full of great moments. The dungeons can get a bit frequent and long though.

i just got taken to Garlyle Base after Dom Ruins, so shit's getting lively! yeah the battles aren't say Chrono Trigger speedy, but they're thankfully quicker than FF VII & stuff of its era, and of course the victory animations for Sue are a trip. going back in soon!

Khaz

What are the worthy PAL-only or PAL/Japanese with too much Japanese to be played in Japanese? Everything PAL/NTSC will be bought and played as NTSC as I really can't bear slowdowns and black borders any more. Too bad the PS1 can't be region-switched.

I've started slowly collecting for PS1, this is everything I could think of from PAL-land:

- Wipeout 3 special edition
- Puchi Carat and two paddle controllers
- Heart of Darkness (in French because Chahi)
- Vib-Ribbon (being shipped)

What gems am I missing? I can't think of anything that wasn't also released in the USA.

[edit] I should add that I have Earthworm Jim 2 on Saturn and Mickey Mania on Mega-CD. Unless the PS1 versions are really different and much better?

hipgnosis

What are the worthy PAL-only or PAL/Japanese with too much Japanese to be played in Japanese? Everything PAL/NTSC will be bought and played as NTSC as I really can't bear slowdowns and black borders any more. Too bad the PS1 can't be region-switched.

I've started slowly collecting for PS1, this is everything I could think of from PAL-land:

- Wipeout 3 special edition
- Puchi Carat and two paddle controllers
- Heart of Darkness (in French because Chahi)
- Vib-Ribbon (being shipped)

What gems am I missing? I can't think of anything that wasn't also released in the USA.

Some PAL exclusives that are pretty good:

Discworld Noir
Jinx
Mickeys Wild Adventure
Megaman Battle & Chase
Megaman X3
Tintin Destination Adventure
Rapid Reload (really great 2D run n' gun)
Parodius Double Pack

Mercutio

Some PAL exclusives that are pretty good:

Discworld Noir
Jinx
Mickeys Wild Adventure
Megaman Battle & Chase
Megaman X3
Tintin Destination Adventure
Rapid Reload (really great 2D run n' gun)
Parodius Double Pack

Huh! Is that Megaman X3 better than the Saturn version?

Khaz

Oh, good list!

I'll definitely get Gunner's Heaven / Rapid Reload, it looks like a nice Gunstar Heroes clone and that can't be bad.

I actually do have Z for the Saturn, but I think I'll probably like it better on a PC. I have the Saturn mouse though, so who knows! (and I can play this one in 60Hz)

I have Discworld Noir for PC from back in the day. I can confirm it's quite a good adventure game.

I'll check the rest but reviews for Mega Man Battle & Chase and Tintin haven't been kind.

Timu

I prefer the music of the SNES version over the arranged disc versions of Mega Man X3 so that's one main reason to get that version.

Renpatsu

Regardless of emulation it is the aesthetic design that went into RRT4 that makes it rather timeless for me. But factoring in emulation I saw some old threads that rendered RRT4 at higher resolutions with some additional film grain and that looked stunning.

You know it doesn't look like that in real life right? The emulator beautifies it.

Yeah I know, but equally happens to all the other PS1 titles, so I think it's safe to say it is one of the systems most impressive titles graphically. The lighting is amazing.

rpowelll

Neo Member
Speaking of Vib Ribbon, a few JP imports arrived today. I got copies of Vib Ribbon, PaRappa the Rapper, and Um Jammer Lammy for around AU$10 a pop. The packaging for all of these games was so good that I couldn't resist taking a bunch of photos:

Imgur Album

IrishNinja

^so awesome! i have the imports of Vib & Parappa as well, been wanting to get Lammy back for the superior (uncensored) last level too!

How playable are these in Japanese?

Perfectly playable.

Vib Ribbon might benefit from you watching a YouTube video or something though, unless you're familiar with the PAL version for menus alone.

Shame that Parappa is the re-release, the original release has a disc like UmJammer Lammy - full colour.

No spine cards either? ;)

rpowelll

Neo Member
Perfectly playable.

Vib Ribbon might benefit from you watching a YouTube video or something though, unless you're familiar with the PAL version for menus alone.

Shame that Parappa is the re-release, the original release has a disc like UmJammer Lammy - full colour.

No spine cards either? ;)

Yeah they're all very playable in Japanese provided you're patient enough to look up the occasional menu translation. Also both PaRappa and Vib Ribbon came with spine cards, but not Um Jammer Lammy. All in all a pretty good find for under AU$30.

Mzo

PaRappa and Lammy are like exactly the same as the US releases (except Lammy isn't censored). The English lyric versions of the songs are the only ones that exist.

You can change the language to English for the menus as well so yes, very playable.

How are the Lunar remakes on PS1? Are they considered better? Different?

I remember the packaging Working Designs gave them even though I never got the games.

Now THAT'S packaging.

rpowelll

Neo Member
PaRappa and Lammy are like exactly the same as the US releases (except Lammy isn't censored). The English lyric versions of the songs are the only ones that exist.

You can change the language to English for the menus as well so yes, very playable.

I didn't realise you could change the menu language, that's great!

Also I want to get the actual hardware to play these on (currently ripping them to .BIN / .CUE files and running them in OpenEmu), but I don't have room for a NSTC-J CRT. I asked about the Framemeister a few pages back and it sounds like that's my best bet.

Just one question, how does it handle 576i and 288p PAL signals? It's easier to justify buying that thing if it means I'll get a better image out of my existing SD consoles as well.

Top Bottom