• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Teknoman

There is an english mazinger Z game on the ps1?

Nope. Super Robot Wars: Alpha Gaiden has a full english translation patch. I bought the game, ripped it to my PC and then patched it. Burned it on a disc, and tested it out on my PSone that I recently got back from Baphomet, who installed a mod chip. Ever since I played the first Original Generation GBA game, i've wanted to really get into the series. Just as a point, Super Robot Wars J on GBA has a full patch, and Super Robot Wars Z2 for PSP has a menu translation patch.

I'll snag Policenauts and Tales of Phantasia at some point as well.

Is Alundra good? I have been meaning to play it, I don't have much experience with these type of games.

Alundra is quite good.

Which reminds me... It states in the manual that WD changed the difficulty and some damage stats. Anyone play the JP version? How would you compare the two?

kick51

Banned
Silent Bomber is that real shit. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. And I'm getting D ranks on everything first time through, which is good because I suck ass. back when grading systems meant something man ;_;

Mzo

PaRappa has extremely minor differences. Lammy has more significant ones, like the death cutscene and hell level changed to some weird time travel shit and an island? Something like that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have both US and Japanese versions. I should finally play the J version... See that hell level as it was meant to be.

Picked it up on the same day I bought Bust a Move. Uncensored Japanese rhythm games baby!

IrishNinja

titties everywhere

aekzbbz.gif

rpowelll

Neo Member
I have both US and Japanese versions. I should finally play the J version... See that hell level as it was meant to be.

Picked it up on the same day I bought Bust a Move. Uncensored Japanese rhythm games baby!

Yeah I can't wait to see that final level, though I'm playing through PaRappa first. Also holy hell are those games difficult; I remember the timing on Um Jammer Lammy being a little looser, but PaRappa is really demanding. It might just be the emulator I'm using (Mednafen) introducing some lag though. Really need to get the proper hardware set up.

IrishNinja

Yeah I can't wait to see that final level, though I'm playing through PaRappa first. Also holy hell are those games difficult; I remember the timing on Um Jammer Lammy being a little looser, but PaRappa is really demanding. It might just be the emulator I'm using (Mednafen) introducing some lag though. Really need to get the proper hardware set up.

i used to love freestyling in PaRappa, but there's definitely levels (cooking chicken, ugh) that i never felt i had a firm grasp on what was wanted. that said, if your timing is off - PSP version, HDTV lag, etc - the game starts to fall apart too.

rpowelll

Neo Member
i used to love freestyling in PaRappa, but there's definitely levels (cooking chicken, ugh) that i never felt i had a firm grasp on what was wanted. that said, if your timing is off - PSP version, HDTV lag, etc - the game starts to fall apart too.

I couldn't figure out how to change the menu language in PaRappa, so I can't really tell, but is there any way to calibrate for lag?

putermcgee

Speaking of Vib Ribbon, a few JP imports arrived today. I got copies of Vib Ribbon, PaRappa the Rapper, and Um Jammer Lammy for around AU$10 a pop. The packaging for all of these games was so good that I couldn't resist taking a bunch of photos:
Imgur Album
Wow, I hadn't seen this post until just now, but I also just picked up Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy yesterday. My Um Jammer case has the spine card, but Parappa doesn't (it's the original release, though). I guess prices vary when importing, but I got them at a shop for 100 yen each.

I have more pictures on Imgur, but here are some highlights:

I used to have Bust a Move/Groove and Vib Ribbon too, but who the hell knows what happened to them. I think those are the last two on my small list of PS1 games I want to have.

rpowelll

Neo Member
Wow, I hadn't seen this post until just now, but I also just picked up Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy yesterday. My Um Jammer case has the spine card, but Parappa doesn't (it's the original release, though). I guess prices vary when importing, but I got them at a shop for 100 yen each.

I have more pictures on Imgur, but here are some highlights:

I used to have Bust a Move/Groove and Vib Ribbon too, but who the hell knows what happened to them. I think those are the last two on my small list of PS1 games I want to have.

Man that original retail PaRappa disk is super nice.

Love how UmJammer does the reverse case thing that Vib Ribbon does too.

I believe you're suppose to put the disc in the other way round though so you can see the art on the disc through the sleeve!

rpowelll

Neo Member

I believe you're suppose to put the disc in the other way round though so you can see the art on the disc through the sleeve!

Haha yeah someone pointed that out to me the other day. I was kind of going back and forth before that because it seemed weird to put the disk in backwards. The reverse cases are dope though, Vib Ribbon's manual has a tiny picture of Vib Ribbon in her crowned form in the centre that you can see through the hole in the middle too.

Edit: You can kind of see what I mean in this picture (not mine)

4105869566_23d0ab6f10.jpg

4105870742_ed582d65fc.jpg

putermcgee

That was my first thought because the black just looks weird. However, Spinning the disc around with it reversed never really looks right either. Honestly, while I think the effect is awesome with Vib Ribbon, I don't dig it so much with Um Jammer.

Khaz

Some of the teeth that hold the disc in place on my VR snapped off, so it harms the effect. Sucks.

Can't you replace it though? I thought Japanese Playstation game boxes were made of standard Crystal boxes. I've replaced countless of my Saturn and Mega CD boxes with new plastic parts when they were scratched or broken.

[edit] looking at pictures, it's a special box :( Maybe if you can find a cheap Playstation game with transparent inner parts?

rpowelll

Neo Member
Can't you replace it though? I thought Japanese Playstation game boxes were made of standard Crystal boxes. I've replaced countless of my Saturn and Mega CD boxes with new plastic parts when they were scratched or broken.

Vib Ribbon is in one of the fat cases with 'Playstation' embossed on the top and bottom sides. You could probably repurpose one from another PS1 game though.

Edit: Yeah actually it does have a frosted, transparent disk tray that you're probably not going to find easily.

Slightly different to the PAL boxes. I think Ridge Racer (JP) has the same box if you wanted a replacement cheap. I won an original PlayStation (SCPH-1000, with S-VHS out) the other day on eBay and it has a copy with it with the same case as Vib Ribbon at least.

10c6dD1.jpg

Mmm.

kunonabi

Latest PS1 pick-ups. Next up is Countdown Vampires and maybe Clock Tower if I go a little crazy. I loved the game but not a fan of how expensive it is these days. Bought some PSOne classics on the Japanese store including a ridiculous game about SNK's Athena fighting dinosaurs in an underground lab or something.

Ramune

Latest PS1 pick-ups. Next up is Countdown Vampires and maybe Clock Tower if I go a little nuts crazy. I loved the game but not a fan of how expensive it is these days. Bought some PSOne classics on the Japanese store including a ridiculous game about SNK's Athena fighting dinosaurs in an underground lab or something.

Nice pickups! That Athena game wouldnt happen to be that Athena adventure game would it? I remember it sounding pretty weird, but I'm sure my younger Athena loving self would have picked it up regardless. Kyo had one too IIRC. They were also PS1 exclusive I think.

kunonabi

Nice pickups! That Athena game wouldnt happen to be that Athena adventure game would it? I remember it sounding pretty weird, but I'm sure my younger Athena loving self would have picked it up regardless. Kyo had one too IIRC. They were also PS1 exclusive I think.

yeah it is. Athena ~ Awakening from the ordinary life ~ is the title. King of Fighters is Kyo is the other one which is like a visual novel with rpg menu based combat. I had it years ago but i sold it. I'll probably grab it off psn somewhere down the line.

Latest PS1 pick-ups. Next up is Countdown Vampires and maybe Clock Tower if I go a little nuts crazy. I loved the game but not a fan of how expensive it is these days. Bought some PSOne classics on the Japanese store including a ridiculous game about SNK's Athena fighting dinosaurs in an underground lab or something.

Mizzurna Falls looks really ambitious in screeenshots, great atmosphere.

IrishNinja

Herc's Adventures >>>

also i still can't get over how shamelessly Gunner's Heaven rips Gunstar Heroes, but it's a blast nonetheless

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Picked up a mint-condition Tomba 2. I think I overpaid but I never see these in the wild and I got excited. Never played the series before but I hear it's a Metroidvania? (I love those)

hipgnosis

Picked up a mint-condition Tomba 2. I think I overpaid but I never see these in the wild and I got excited. Never played the series before but I hear it's a Metroidvania? (I love those)

Yeah it's a top notch metroidvania. Love the series, I might actually think I prefer the second one even though the first game is awesome as fuck as well. This series is criminally underrated and should be up there with the classics.

Oh and dat music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBiyyZULyCM I always try to play this game during Christmas time and it gives me this cosy feeling.

How are the Lunar remakes on PS1? Are they considered better? Different?

I remember the packaging Working Designs gave them even though I never got the games.

Now THAT'S packaging.

Late reply but no one else did so...

They are great, personally find them the best version of the games I've played (and the first versions.) Especially if you can get the making of discs that come with the games. They are really interesting to watch. Voice acting is about on par as other "anime" of the 90s but I will say a bit better since WD took time to do it as right as possible.

Biggest changes in the other versions of the game (DS and PSP) are in combat and general translation changes. Story is the same, so are the characters. Combat in the PS1 version is pretty classic turn based stuff, the PSP remake, while I did not hate the change in graphics, and it was nice(?) that they reused the Working Design animations, I thought the combat was changed for the worse in terms of spells. All the spells take like 5 seconds for a "charge up" animation, then w/e attack animation that follows is equally drawn out. But it is a good version of the same story I admit if you can get over the combat changes.

Lunar 2... never beat it but its about on the same level as the first remake on PS1. Same treatment all around.... its been on the backlog since I was 11 haha. and still looking for a freaking box for this game. Did not come with the box when I bought it :/ for w/e reason. All the content though.

Sorry I didn't mean to hurt the feelings of Genesis tech demo fans. Y'all should check out Overdrive by Titan too when you have the chance.

IrishNinja

just hit disc 2 of Grandia recently, and i'm enjoying it but man leveling magic is for the birds

now that it's just Justin & my waifu Feena i'm realizing i really should've used magic more; just worked up to getting her flame whip & i gotta use this bum earth defense skill a ton more times before i can get him dragon cut. are there any other skills/spells in particular i should really concern myself with grinding out? the only one i had decent #'s on was sue's water ones.

Top Bottom