• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Just imported the NTSC version of Symphony of the Night, problem is the description read

" ORIGINAL VERSION

COMES IN NEW CASE WITHOUT BOOK OR ART" and I somehow misread that as "Original version comes in case"... Does anyone know the dimentions for the Case-back and Case front inserts so I can just print off the artwork?

oldmario

Just imported the NTSC version of Symphony of the Night, problem is the description read

" ORIGINAL VERSION

COMES IN NEW CASE WITHOUT BOOK OR ART" and I somehow misread that as "Original version comes in case"... Does anyone know the dimentions for the Case-back and Case front inserts so I can just print off the artwork?

standard music cd jewel case for american ps1 games

putermcgee

I have a question that some collectors might be able to help with. I was recently at a used game shop in Japan, and found what looked to be a set of demo discs for the PS1. I didn't look too carefully, but I thought they were titled "Playstation Plus" which is making Google searches much harder. They came in gatefold packages, and didn't have a list of demos included or anything, so I decided to pass them up.

If anyone knows what these are, and especially if anyone knows where to find a list of which discs had which demos, I'd probably head back out there to look for specific copies.

A quick question: can I use PS2 joysticks to play shmups on a PS1?
I've run into a few that don't seem to like anything other than the original PS1 digital pad. Soukyugurentai, Night Raid, and Zanac Neo drop and add random inputs if I use my HRAP2SA, Dual shock 1s, or DS2s.

just bought umjammer lammy and warhawk on psn discounted

also went through some of my old games and decided to start playing this one

bftp-croc-3.jpg

Croc Legend of the Gobos

TnK

I don't know if Croc was ever good really. I remember 2 being a much better game. 1 was simply average all around.

Late reply but no one else did so...

They are great, personally find them the best version of the games I've played (and the first versions.) Especially if you can get the making of discs that come with the games. They are really interesting to watch. Voice acting is about on par as other "anime" of the 90s but I will say a bit better since WD took time to do it as right as possible.

Biggest changes in the other versions of the game (DS and PSP) are in combat and general translation changes. Story is the same, so are the characters. Combat in the PS1 version is pretty classic turn based stuff, the PSP remake, while I did not hate the change in graphics, and it was nice(?) that they reused the Working Design animations, I thought the combat was changed for the worse in terms of spells. All the spells take like 5 seconds for a "charge up" animation, then w/e attack animation that follows is equally drawn out. But it is a good version of the same story I admit if you can get over the combat changes.

Lunar 2... never beat it but its about on the same level as the first remake on PS1. Same treatment all around.... its been on the backlog since I was 11 haha. and still looking for a freaking box for this game. Did not come with the box when I bought it :/ for w/e reason. All the content though.

Cool! Thanks, man! Just picked up Lunar 1 complete with map & making-of discs, so I'm excited to jump in!

how much time did you spend with the PSX's library? you've kinda named the top 10 sellers/IGN list titles, is the thing
I considered myself a huge Saturn fan, but over the past year and a half I gotta give Playstation its props. The arcade ports were assier, but I feel like ever other genre was better on Playstation.

How does Croc hold up? I bought another copy of it last year (since the copy I had growing up is missing in action)

It was decent at the time but gameplay is pretty ass and it's too damn easy, it was definitely aimed for kids.

By the way, a lot of people is interested on Croc now because someone at Argonaut said that the first title was the infamous tech demo for a 3D Yoshi game for Nintendo.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/206820-...p-came-to-be-and-how-a-yoshi-demo-became-croc

IrishNinja

I considered myself a huge Saturn fan, but over the past year and a half I gotta give Playstation its props. The arcade ports were assier, but I feel like ever other genre was better on Playstation.

until dreamcast
haha for real though, PSX did many (especially 3d) games better than the saturn, no doubt. either way though, that library is un-fuck-withable for me

Croc is great. I've always liked it a lot. Getting used to the jumping takes a while, because it can be hard to figure out where you're going to land, but I really like it anyway... it's one of my favorite 3d platformers that gen not on the N64.

How does Croc hold up? I bought another copy of it last year (since the copy I had growing up is missing in action)

great music and atmosphere and fun

although it has camera and controller issues (hasn't ages well in that regard) still worth playing though (haven't finished it only on the second island)

kunonabi

man, I had my eye on some reasonably priced copies of Clock Tower but that project scissors announcement drove up demand and now everything left is like 60$.

Khaz

Check out the interview linked to earlier:

Hm, they just put a demo together and pitched it to Nintendo, who said no way. It was never meant to be a Yoshi game, they just wished it could be.

This quote is just lol:
Miyamoto-san went on to make Mario 64, which had the look and feel of our Yoshi game - but with the Mario character, of course
Nope.

Is anyone here using a SCPH-100x?

I was recently using a SCPH-1002 PSU in my SCPH-1000 and it would produce heat even when idle. When it was powering the thing it was kicking off more heat than I would like.

Now I have replaced the blown 150uF 200V cap in the SCPH-1000 PSU with a 330uF 200V cap the machine gets as hot after half an hour of Tekken 3 as it used to get when idle with the SCPH-1002 PSU.

So doesn't anyone have any comments on their SCPH-1001 (most likely) machine heat output? This is the main reason that the PlayStation had to be turned upside down as I recall to make it work.

Either way, super super pleased. Just need to get the very original BIOS swapped in to allow US games to boot too and get a Mayumi 2.1 chip and this machine will be awesome.

Hm, they just put a demo together and pitched it to Nintendo, who said no way. It was never meant to be a Yoshi game, they just wished it could be.
Uh, considering that they'd just come off of working with Nintendo on Star Fox, looking to work together on another game seems like a quite reasonable idea. And considering that Croc released in late '97, a time when Nintendo did NOT have a major 3d platformer of their own, I think that passing on what became Croc was a definite mistake! All there was for 3d platformers on the N64 in '97 were Bomberman 64 and Chameleon Twist, and Croc's definitely better than either of those. Nintendo did have the 2d game Yoshi's Story, but Croc is better than that too, and anyway, that's not 3d.

This quote is just lol:

Nope.
Why not? Sure, they're different games, and Mario 64 definitely plays better, but Croc is one of the best 3d platformers available at the time of its release in late '97. It plays pretty well, tricky jumping aside, and I can definitely see some of that Nintendo-ish style in the game...

oldmario

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a reason for that? Licensing issues perhaps?

apparently they had some technical issues with it running....... even though the tomba 2 on the EU store is the NTSC version so i guess they tried to make up some bs

i also remember for around the first 4-5 months the games were on psn they both had the same problem of running in 50hz instead of 60hz but i honestly don't know how they managed to screw up the second game release since it was llike a year later and had the exact same problem, but then again their other release arc the lad was accidentally the japanese version for a couple months also instead of english so i guess they don't spend much time on QA

on the NA PSN store both Tombas are there...however, while the first Tomba is the NA version, Tomba 2 is the Japanese version. So be aware of that.

Some of the versions of games on PSN are a bit all over the place. Though sometimes for the better:

On the Europe PSN store:

-Resident Evil 1 = RE: Director's Cut and it's the PAL version with the orginal music, not the crappy NTSC DualShock version with the changed soundtrack. Only 25fps though.

-RE2&3 = NTSC versions, which run at proper speed (25fps vs 30fps) for epople used to the slower PAL versions.

They need to get someone with more knowledge to select the best versions to put on PSN imo.

cerulily

I found a really great place in a flea market in rural Ontario that had tonnes of ps1 stuff. Picked these two up for myself,

eM4M0jQ.jpg

Also found a bunch of other goodies, but this is all i had the cash for :x

edit: Might as well post the rest of my collection
uzVA3O4.jpg

I REALLY need to buy some new jewel cases for all of these.

I found a really great place in a flea market in rural Ontario that had tonnes of ps1 stuff. Picked these two up for myself,

eM4M0jQ.jpg

Also found a bunch of other goodies, but this is all i had the cash for :x

edit: Might as well post the rest of my collection
uzVA3O4.jpg

I REALLY need to buy some new jewel cases for all of these.
Nice pickups. I love R-Type Delta.

*stares at copy of Xenogears*

oh okay fine, sure, why not

*boots it up*

The answer for that "why not" for me is because I have already beaten it over 10 times and is one of the games that I have had to force myself to never replay again because of playing it too much already.

I decided to get into retro game collecting. After weighing my options, I decided to focus on the PS1. So, this looks like the thread to sub to.

Here is my glorious Sony PSOne displaying on my glorious Sony Trinitron gloriously.

N3Agyb4l.jpg

The collection is just getting started and there's not much to see right now, but one thing I definitely want to grab more of are the longbox games. There were so few games released this way before Sony decided to go with traditional CD cases that I think they make for an interesting oddity. Besides, the cabinet I'm using has a perfect place for them.

0sUihcxl.jpg

rpowelll

Neo Member
I picked up a Japanese copy of Aquanaut's Holiday mainly for the dope box art. Unfortunately the disk tray sustained some damage in shipping, but it's a standard jewel case so I can probably replace it:

Top Bottom