• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Probably an off-beat choice but I'd suggest 5. I absolutely love Metro Cross and Legend of Valkyrie.
5 has the only ever english-language release of Legend of the Valkyrie, which makes it more interesting than probably any of the other volumes... wish I had it,. the thing is annoyingly uncommon and pricey, it seems.

Mercutio

5 has the only ever english-language release of Legend of the Valkyrie, which makes it more interesting than probably any of the other volumes... wish I had it,. the thing is annoyingly uncommon and pricey, it seems.

Oh man, I had no idea there was an English release of that game! Crap, now I've got to hunt down a copy.

ascii42

Hmm, that's interesting. Guess I'll have to buy it from the PSN Store. Which means obviously I have to buy all 5, since I can't just have O.

Oh man, I had no idea there was an English release of that game! Crap, now I've got to hunt down a copy.

The US and Europe got Namco Museums 1-5 on PS1, and yes, they translated Legend of the Valkyrie just for the Western PS1 versions. It's too bad that Namco Museum Encore and the two Namco Anthology collections weren't, though; it'd be cool to have the Namco Anthology Valkyrie game in English... ah well.

Of course, I find it somewhat unforgivable that Namco has never re-released all of the stuff from their PS1 collections. Seriously, what have they been thinking? That makes no sense! Most everyone else (Midway and Capcom, for example) who did collections like that on the 5th gen platforms then collected them all in their next-gen version, but no, not Namco! Namco keeps randomly tossing in selections of games in their "Namco Museum" volumes, never including everything, and never re-releasing Legend of the Valkyrie even once since the PS1. And of course those Namco Anthology remakes (for me most notably the Valkyrie one, of course; the HG101 review makes it sound pretty good!) are PS1-exclusive, Namco would rather just keep making new remakes that they then eventually drop too, or something... it's hard to understand their thinking with their classic collections.

i remember thinking it was bullshit for namco to spread those games across 5 discs though

still do
I remember thinking the same thing, but at he same time thought it was kind of cool that it was a "collection." Anyone know the original MSRP of these?

Anyway, I'm glad they're on PSN. Took long enough. Has anyone tried the TATE mode of some of the games on Vita? I'm going to purchase and try this weekend.

kick51

Banned
found a black label complete copy of FFVII in nearly perfect condition for $15 again from the same place as I got my last copy. Has the cover with the fixed "masterpiece" error (which is probably the rarer variant than the messed up one)

Now that black label FF7 is so cheap, I though about replacing my GH version. It's got sentimental value though, so I never bothered, lol.

found a black label complete copy of FFVII in nearly perfect condition for $15 again from the same place as I got my last copy. Has the cover with the fixed "masterpiece" error (which is probably the rarer variant than the messed up one)

That is an original print of the game. The reissue (before GH) has that error. The one with the error is rarer as I recall.

My FFVII is also an original print.

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/releasedgames/final_fantasy_vii/index.html

Living in Europe we had PlayStation Platinum, which made me hate budget releases. GH just look racid with that green motif.

kick51

Banned
That is an original print of the game. The reissue (before GH) has that error. The one with the error is rarer as I recall.

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/releasedgames/final_fantasy_vii/index.html

Living in Europe we had PlayStation Platinum, which made me hate budget releases. GH just look racid with that green motif.

huh, never knew that.

i have a relative that feels he needs to play the game due to peer pressure, so I'll be giving it to him. Funny that even teens see FFVII in that way.

oldmario

SCEE should just stop with the budget releases or atleast get better designers, i mean look at this ps3 platinum case
513Bi80N%2BOL.jpg

then again i guess the whole point is to make them look as ugly as possible to force the buyer into buying them near launch instead of these editions

SCEE should just stop with the budget releases or atleast get better designers, i mean look at this ps3 platinum case
513Bi80N%2BOL.jpg

then again i guess the whole point is to make them look as ugly as possible to force the buyer into buying them near launch instead of these editions

Agreed.

The only Platinum I own is FFXIII, of which is also have the original release. I tend to buy non Platinum used over Platinum new, as I'm sure many people here do also. Japanese PS3 releases are an example that you save a bunch of money on budget releases but I'd rather pay a little more for something that isn't yellow and white like the PAL releases. Even the American budget releases look better..

Tapejara

I've always loved my PSOne. Unfortunately, I was pretty young when I recieved it as a gift so my collection is pretty meager - though I'm hoping to start collecting many of the games I missed. In any case, I decided to plug in the system and play some of the games from my childhood. Anyone remember Power Rangers: Time Force?

The game was given to me one Christmas, and I never finished it. The load times are ridiculously long, the game controls pretty poorly and I was never a fan of missions being timed (one of the reasons Crash 3 is my least favourite of the PSOne games is due to time trials). I thought I would revisit it today, hoping that maybe I missed something as a kid. Overall, it was still a pretty middling experience, but it did make me realize one thing: I really should have taken better care of my games.

The game kept producing weird audio issues, and after looking at the disc I noticed that it was covered in scratches. It was still playable, but having the audio cut in and out was quite annoying. The jewel cases for most of my games are broken as well, but those are easily replaced. I wish I hadn't been so careless as a kid, because God knows how easy it is to ruin a PSOne game.

oldmario

tomba is on psn for about $8 or so but it would be hard to find the disc version

and the company that made it doesn't run anymore right?

the disc for tomba is easy to find, it's just you have to pony up $60-80 on ebay for it, may be less now that psn version has come out and like FF games killed the value slightly

Agreed.

The only Platinum I own is FFXIII, of which is also have the original release. I tend to buy non Platinum used over Platinum new, as I'm sure many people here do also. Japanese PS3 releases are an example that you save a bunch of money on budget releases but I'd rather pay a little more for something that isn't yellow and white like the PAL releases. Even the American budget releases look better..

to be fair, here it's like £5-10 more usually, in japan the best of versions are usually 3000-4000 yen cheaper

i saw a copy of Kula world on ebay for $140 ages ago and the game is on psn for about $6

here's a pic of the game (only played the demo back in the day
1107103-kula2.jpg

mothball

Are there any differences between the d-pads on the original non-analog controller, DS1 and DS2? I've been playing some games that don't support the analog stick and the mushiness of my DS2's d-pad is making it annoying, though that might just be because it's 11 years old.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Interesting thread. I've been getting into the PS1 era for the first time recently, I was all PC back in the day and so I figure there's an entire gen of games I've not played. So far have done MGS1 and FF7 which have both held up rather fantastically. Currently am swtiching between Castlevania (hard as shit tbh, not sure if I'm enjoying it), Klonoa for anice platformer and Xenogears which I've only just discovered but am super impressed by so far.

What are the best platformers available for this system? It seems like there's a lot of (looooong) JRPGs for the system but it's lacking in most everything else.

Lettuce

Installed a Mayumi v4 chip in my SCPH-5552 today as practise for when I find a working SCPH-5500. 8 wires as it takes the pulses from the hardware rather than generating in the chip like the MM3 does. Really easy to install. Got this from Bad_Ad84 on ASSEMbler.

d3MwGaA.jpg

What's special about the SCPH-5500?

roxya

513Bi80N%2BOL.jpg

No, the point is to make them look cheap. The same thing happens with cheap-brand groceries for example. This is purposeful (and, believe it or not, good) design.

BigDes

I found a really great place in a flea market in rural Ontario that had tonnes of ps1 stuff. Picked these two up for myself,

eM4M0jQ.jpg

Also found a bunch of other goodies, but this is all i had the cash for :x

edit: Might as well post the rest of my collection
uzVA3O4.jpg

I REALLY need to buy some new jewel cases for all of these.

Maaaaaan come on, you got FInal Fantasy games next to Tenchu games, next to Mega Man games then Mega Man games next to Thousand Arms games

Sort that order out right now

No, the point is to make them look cheap. The same thing happens with cheap-brand groceries for example. This is purposeful (and, believe it or not, good) design.

Really? Does it take so much to make them at least look okay in your shelf? The PS1 PAL platinum series nailed it:

Resident%20Evil%20Plat%20PS%20(1)-500x500.JPG

Silver stripe with the logo, instead of the original black one and a blank cd inside.

cerulily

Maaaaaan come on, you got FInal Fantasy games next to Tenchu games, next to Mega Man games then Mega Man games next to Thousand Arms games

Sort that order out right now

Don't worry my boyfriend swiftly sorted them for me, and then gave me a talking to about proper sorting.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Interesting thread. I've been getting into the PS1 era for the first time recently, I was all PC back in the day and so I figure there's an entire gen of games I've not played. So far have done MGS1 and FF7 which have both held up rather fantastically. Currently am swtiching between Castlevania (hard as shit tbh, not sure if I'm enjoying it), Klonoa for anice platformer and Xenogears which I've only just discovered but am super impressed by so far.
Da fuck. You're not talking about Symphony of the Night, are you? That game is very easy, though it's still one of the greatest of all time.

What are the best platformers available for this system? It seems like there's a lot of (looooong) JRPGs for the system but it's lacking in most everything else.
Er, no? Best platformers include Klonoa (which you have), Crash 1-2-3, Skullmonkeys, Rayman 1 and 2, the Spyro trilogy, Tomba!, Adventures of Lomax.

For other genres than platforming and RPG:

- Survival horror: Silent Hill, Resident Evil: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2 and 3
- Action/adventure/RPG: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Alundra
- Action/adventure: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Medievil
- Fighting: Darkstalkers 3, Soul Blade

Playing Castlevania Chronicles right now and it's kicking my ass. I'm on the 4th level (stage?) on arranged mode, which is easier than original if I remember right? Level 3 background music is sooo good.

kick51

Banned
Yeah, that one makes more sense. But I have seen people complain that SotN is too hard before, which always baffled the hell out of me.

this makes little sense, if you play it completely blind. and even if you "beat" it, you probably won't get inverted castle playing blind.

Playing Castlevania Chronicles right now and it's kicking my ass. I'm on the 4th level (stage?) on arranged mode, which is easier than original if I remember right? Level 3 background music is sooo good.

this makes perfect sense. that game is a bitch.

An1malhouse365

Neo Member
So I recently decided to set up a nice retro rig to play Metal Gear Solid series for the first time along with a few others. Scored a Sony Triniton 36' for free on craigslist. Saw a couple PS1's for $20ish. Any particular model I should be looking for?

I have every intention on going through this whole thread in due time but I want to pick up this system sooner than later.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Da fuck. You're not talking about Symphony of the Night, are you? That game is very easy, though it's still one of the greatest of all time.

Er, no? Best platformers include Klonoa (which you have), Crash 1-2-3, Skullmonkeys, Rayman 1 and 2, the Spyro trilogy, Tomba!, Adventures of Lomax.

For other genres than platforming and RPG:

- Survival horror: Silent Hill, Resident Evil: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2 and 3
- Action/adventure/RPG: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, Alundra
- Action/adventure: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Medievil
- Fighting: Darkstalkers 3, Soul Blade

Yeah man SoTN. That little sword you have is rubbish, and the early boss pair had me reloading multiple times to beat them too (and I thought I was halfway decent at games sob sob). I think as well, since I'm fairly early still I'm lacking context for a lot of what I'm doing and seeing, I'm sure it'll get easier as I play more.

I'm liking Klonoa so far, quite a charming little game with a nice twist on the 2.5d thing, it's quite impressive for its age. Will try the Crash games once I've finished this - something about Crash always turned me off trying those games, he just looked so budget and an obvious attempt to get a PS1 mascot back in the day when I was still all about Nintendo. I shall have to get over my tween prejudices :p

Will definitely get to Resident Evil one of these days, never played any of those games (apart from a half hearted attempt at 4 once).

Tapejara

Stopped by a local store today and picked up some games:

• Darkstone (no manual)
  • Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge
  • Geom Cube

Played a lot of Frogger 2 when I was younger, so I thought it was worth picking up for the nostalgia. How are Geom Cube and Darkstone?

Top Bottom