• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

cj_iwakura

Since I have mine nice and organized for once:

FFJqg8J.jpg

hXmvNAk.jpg

VAjvAXQ.jpg

GV7RqIN.jpg

KQAVXFZ.jpg

And my highlight:

(P1, P2: IS, P2: EP)

TnK

Does SH1 hold up in this day and age, or did it not age well?

Also, are the PC versions better for the latter parts compared to the PS versions? (Offtopic question, I know)

Khaz

We were talking about european exclusives earlier or Eu+Jp only. I found another one, Magical Drop III, seemingly the only Magical Drop to be published outside of Japan for the home consoles (excluding the Neo Geo). I have the Japanese Saturn version which I quite enjoy but all text is lost on me, sadly. European editions are still quite cheap, but who knows for how long? Let's hope it was PAL-accelerated!

This brings my worthy PAL-only list to 6!
- Vib Ribbon
- Puchi Carat
- Wipeout 3 Special Edition
- Heart of Darkness
- Rapid Reload
- Magical Drop III

We were talking about european exclusives earlier or Eu+Jp only. I found another one, Magical Drop III, seemingly the only Magical Drop to be published outside of Japan for the home consoles (excluding the Neo Geo). I have the Japanese Saturn version which I quite enjoy but all text is lost on me, sadly. European editions are still quite cheap, but who knows for how long? Let's hope it was PAL-accelerated!

- Vib Ribbon
- Puchi Carat
- Heart of Darkness
- Rapid Reload
- Magical Drop III

One could argue that since the WipEout games and Tomb Raider games were made in the UK, the PAL versions are the ones that are running at the intended speed. But I guess that's nitpicking. Tomb Raider is probably best played on the PC with higher framerate anyhow as they are available for Windows 8.

Edit: Same goes for Reflections' PS1 series; Destruction Derby & Driver

- Vib Ribbon
- Puchi Carat
- Heart of Darkness
- Rapid Reload
- Magical Drop III
I don't know if that's much of a PAL-only list as most of them at least came out in Japan and Heart of Darkness came out in North America.

Khaz

Well maybe not PAL-only, more like PAL-worthy. The only few games that may not be considered the inferior version. Or translated Japanese that never hit America.

I've put Heart of Darkness in the list because PAL has a French edition, entirely dubbed and all. Being the love child of Eric Chahi, I suppose playing it in French only makes sense
if you can understand it
. Though I don't know if there was a Canadian bilingual edition with 60Hz support. Even then, one could argue that the NSTC version is the one playing too fast. I haven't compared them.

I disagree on putting Tomb Raider and Demolition Derby in the list. Although developed in Europe, they were clearly made for the international market and designed with NTSC in mind. Both are awfully slow when playing at 50Hz. I hated my slow ass Saturn version of DD until I installed a switch on my console, when I saw the light. Same for TR, it's still very playable and an excellent game, but Lara is running in slow motion compared to the PC. At least it's PAL-optimised with fullscreen.

Teknoman

SH1 still holds up. I can see little dots now across the screen due to the fog effect (nothing wrong with the TV, apparently its always been there?) but the sound and general atmosphere of everything are top notch creepy.

The enemies though...not scary at all. I dont think they turned creepy until SH2 (aside from the kid monsters).

On that note, the 31 nights of horror thread part 2 is still going.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904541&page=2

Zing

Banned
SH1 still holds up. I can see little dots now across the screen due to the fog effect (nothing wrong with the TV, apparently its always been there?)

I've noticed, since switching to s-video from composite years ago, that any sort of dithering effect on the PSone has those dots. Even in games such as Crash Bandicoot and MediEvil. At first, they bothered me. Composite video helped blend the dithering and make it smooth. I got used to it.

Teknoman

I've noticed, since switching to s-video from composite years ago, that any sort of dithering effect on the PSone has those dots. Even in games such as Crash Bandicoot and MediEvil. At first, they bothered me. Composite video helped blend the dithering and make it smooth. I got used to it.

So thats what it is. I guess I havent had anything Sony connected via standard composite in awhile. Either Svideo or Component.

SH1 still holds up. I can see little dots now across the screen due to the fog effect (nothing wrong with the TV, apparently its always been there?) but the sound and general atmosphere of everything are top notch creepy.

The enemies though...not scary at all. I dont think they turned creepy until SH2 (aside from the kid monsters).

On that note, the 31 nights of horror thread part 2 is still going.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904541&page=2

Yeah, it's really only noticeable on hdtvs, in my experience.

Teknoman

Probably best to just play Wild Arms 1-3 and 5.

Which i guess yeah, just dont worry about 4 lol. All the games have great soundtracks though.

Borman

Having some fun today. Capture card supports 240p content without issues. Need a new component cable for the PS2 though (not that I cant use RGB I guess :p).

FmLl3hP.jpg

(Tobal 2)

7diHtGj.jpg

(Cybersled)

602m3km.jpg

(Tomba 2)

putermcgee

Picked up some more games the other day. The shop that I've been finding great stuff at puts the price stickers right on the case/cover, and they won't come off clean. I definitely can't use chemicals on the demo disc cases, but I've even had terrible luck with removing the stickers from jewel cases. They were all about $1 each, so I'm not too upset. I've ended up buying other cheap games elsewhere to salvage their clean cases.

Playstation Club PlayPlay demo discs:
8bgqQqb.jpg

Contents inserts for the demos. One disc has a Parappa demo, and another has a Rockman Battle & Chase demo:
sQ0CXzW.jpg

Incredible Crisis demo:
J9l7uwv.jpg

4RiFthy.jpg

Bought this one specifically for the sweet art:
xjZll0y.jpg

yRzrdOL.jpg

New Japan Pro Wrestling game from Yuke's (they make the current WWE games):
qMIeWe4.jpg
More pictures in the album: http://imgur.com/a/hVcZX

I just have to say I really love seeing the PS1 aesthetic on the Vita OLED. Fuck it's good.
Wishes:
  • I could understand Japanese
  • Switching PSN regions was much less of a hassle on Vita

That way I could play the infinitely superior collection of PSX games they have on that damn service. Or they just ramp up releases on the NA side.

Mahonay

Banned
CTR was such an amazingly good cart racer. Spent quite a bit of time playing split screen all night with friends. For the era, the game played extremely well. Also looked great, as most Crash games did on the PS1. Naughty Dog knew what the hell they were doing with that hardware. Glad it gets plenty of love from the community.

TnK

always wanted to try CTR but nowadays I'm sure the framerate would body me
Back in the day, it was the best cart racer out there. Nowadays, the frame rate would probably suck, you are right. I don't remember if the game was a constant 30 on single player or 30 something. If 30, you are good to go as the stages in this game are really well made.

I'd put it in the same league as MKDS, and MK8 being the best of them all.

Dartastic

Double post much?

I have mgs on vita...buy it on the store or transfer from ps3 to the vita...
Sorry. Didn't mean to. I just bought a vita and I'm not really sure how it works. Also I'm drunk and my phone glitches out. I don't see metal gear on the store. I bought the PS1 game the other day and I don't understand why it won't get on my Vita.
It's transferable if you have a PS3.
Please tell me how. Literally JUST bought a Vita yesterday. Can I do this wirelessly? I should be able to, right?

Please tell me how. Literally JUST bought a Vita yesterday. Can I do this wirelessly? I should be able to, right?

I've always just plugged it into the PS3, don't know if you can do it wirelessly.

Download Metal Gear to your PS3, but don't install it. From there it gets a little goofy, but it's easy don't worry.

Youtube video.

Sorry. Didn't mean to. I just bought a vita and I'm not really sure how it works. Also I'm drunk and my phone glitches out. I don't see metal gear on the store. I bought the PS1 game the other day and I don't understand why it won't get on my Vita.

It has something to do with the rights to the games or some shit. There are a bunch of games that are playable on Vita, but only through transfer. It's pretty lame. There's a list of games out there somewhere. Hopefully someone else has it.

EDIT: Here's a thread with a complete list of games. Non-bolded means it's only available through transfer, I guess. List at bottom is completely incompatible games so pay attention before you plop down your cash. Also a guide on how to transfer in case that video is too confusing or something.

Anyone seen Adam Koralik's latest video of his recap of the fifth generation, where he basically blames the PS1 for all the patches, dlc we know today and says that they don't actually make games but only fund indies and third parties to develop games for them. And also blames the PS1 for ruining the industry for some reason. It's like his mind is in an alternate universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN28GRZi_mE

His rant starts at 8:30

What do you guys think?

Anyone seen Adam Koralik's latest video of his recap of the fifth generation, where he basically blames the PS1 for all the patches, dlc we know today and says that they don't actually make games but only fund indies and third parties to develop games for them. And also blames the PS1 for ruining the industry for some reason. It's like his mind is in an alternate universe.

What do you guys think?

I think, "why are you giving that clown ad impressions by clicking on his shit videos"

What do you guys think?
I haven't watched the video yet, but I've been subscribed to Adam's channel for awhile (mostly because of his incredible Dreamcast collection of oddware). I take most of his anti-Playstation rants with a grain of salt. He has always been vocal in his dislike for all things Playstation (and maybe Sony all together).

I can agree that Sony brought gaming to the everyman with the Playstation (for better or worse) but listening to some of Adam's other rants, you would think they were responsible for cancer.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
150 dollars for Wild Arms 1 to 5, worth it?

Depends on whether or not that includes Alter Code F. Alter Code F is the most expensive/rarest from what I've seen (and its also the only one I don't own - not good when you're in the midst of a WA series playthrough this year :( )... but if you got the games separate it seems like it could be a bit cheaper.

What do you guys think?

Saw it yesterday and couldn't believe how no one was calling him out on that BS. It's funny how he talks about how he was blown away seeing Playstation for the first time, and him telling his story about getting his mom to buy him one and how much he loved Twisted Metal, only to end the video by saying that he wished Sony went away forever after PS1.

no worries.... pretty sure (haven't done in a while)

re-download mgs1 on ps3 but don't install it (leave it in that bubble thing on ps3)

then connect the vita to the ps3 via cable and go to content manager and select the option of tranfer from ps3 to vita

Khaz

I've been playing Puchi Carat on my PS2 slim with the paddle controllers. Well, I've been trying to play, since it seems the paddle controls are buggy (jerky movements). I have two paddles and both are behaving the same way so I suspect it's a problem with the console and a lack of compatibility. Unless someone here tells me otherwise I guess I'll have to get a PS1 from somewhere.

Now, original bulky grey PS1 or slim white redesign?

Top Bottom